• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Depends on how much MS gave them for it and how sales look. EA in general is taking a L.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and my assumptions are quite basic, but if Titanfall loses out on a cool 1 million copies sold on PS4, that's $50 - $60mil in revenue lost.

Was MS' check that large? Who knows. If it was...

... then the bigger issue is that money would've been better spent on two or three in-house exclusives in my opinion because we all know Titanfall 2 is coming to PS4.

harSon

Banned
PS4 UI is nice. Simple responsivr and doesn't bombard you.

I'm not a fan. I even like the PS3 XMB more, at least it had a bit of cohesiveness to it. Forcing users to have installed games pinned to the main bar is stupid as hell, and I can tell this UI is going to have the same issue as the Playstation 3's, and that's struggling to maintain decent organization/simplicity once you have a bunch of games, media, etc. under your belt.

Having two layers to the UI is dumb (main bar and then the one above it with friends, trophies, etc.) Well, actually it's fine, but tucking away the PSN Store and Settings within it is kind of dumb. Having TV/Video, Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited on the main bar is dumb. It can all be squished into one grouping. Why is something as heavily used as the PSN Store a small icon within a secondary bar?

There's room for an aestheically pleasing and functional UI within the setup they have, but it's just not there right now. It desperately needs the appropriate groupings I suggested. It needs some kind of a folder system, like on Android and IOS. Basically, just make it more streamlined and categorical. Right now, the main bar is just a hodge podge of shit.

harSon

Banned
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and my assumptions are quite basic, but if Titanfall loses out on a cool 1 million copies sold on PS4, that's $50 - $60mil in revenue lost.

... then the bigger issue is that money would've been better spent on two or three in-house exclusives in my opinion because we all know Titanfall 2 is coming to PS4.

It's almost like you guys haven't followed the industry this last generation. There's more ways than sheer exclusivity to sell software. As this generation has shown, generally speaking, once a game is tied to a platform disproportionately, it's extremely hard to shake. We saw this with timed exclusives (Mass Effect, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Ninja Gaiden, etc.) We saw this with content and marketing exclusives, where advertisements and commercials are presented in such a way where it's almost exclusively associated with one platform over another.

So if Microsoft can steal the mind share for a blockbuster game, then it's money well spent, especially if the IP becomes an industry force.

Been on an Elle Varner kick lately suddenly. Been playing her album nonstop as I work.

Someone post a pic so I can see this UI.

A picture isn't really going to show you much. You need to watch videos to see how it flows...or lack thereof and the fact Sony can't seem to follow their own UI design from app to app.

The Giant Bomb PS4 launch extravaganza is a good video to see most of the flaws (some are very glaring).
http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/479994010

Chrono Cross was fire

Truth, fuck the haters. Chrono Cross was dope as fuck...Scar of Time is soooo good, love listening to it (Chrono Cross is also where I get Angelus Errare from it's latin for Where angels lose their way).

Gorillaz

The number floating around I think is 50 mil...not sure tho

harSon is right bout the mainset people have bout timed exclusives, its hard to shake
PS4 UI sucks ass. Shit is about as cohesive as NYPDs police reports.
Yo damn....

Chrono Cross was a solid RPG and a nice side story/sequel to arguably the best RPG of all time. Solid soundtrack memorable characters and one of the coolest depictions of alternate realities in fiction. Really don't understand the hate when on the same system you got shit like Beyond the Beyond.....

CT is probably my all-time favorite game, so CC never had a chance of me giving it a honest shot. The soundtrack is goddamn amazing, tho

You know what...

I can understand that. But the question is this should square make another? With there track record and the fact that most remakes/sequels end up doing a disservice to the original. There been a few exceptions but in all honesty most have been shit.

I will amplify that question, is there any property that you would love to see a sequel/remake/update in any entertainment properties?

For myself
The Guardian Legend(NES)
Rogue Galaxy(PS2)
Final Fantasy 6(SNES)
The Monster Squad
Rival Schools/Project Justice(PSX)
ActRaiser(SNES)
SoulBlazer series(SNES)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
True, I should respect that you like Aquaman. I apologize.

and ill respect your love of mera and odd admiration of chrono cross. peace works!

Quit being a Falcon, that element system was the shit.

naw. i didnt feel that at all

You know what...

I can understand that. But the question is this should square make another? With there track record and the fact that most remakes/sequels end up doing a disservice to the original. There been a few exceptions but in all honesty most have been shit.

square now? hell no. if it isnt final fantasy, it either doesnt have their good teams on it, or it isnt coming west

akira28

the soundtrack is the only saving grace. the gameplay is hardcore boring

nah, it's just hard to get into without a gamefaqs guide. But once you learn about all the secret battles and secret enemies you have to find in order to unlock the more powerful spells, the game really opens up.

Like it's possible to finish the game without seeing 40% of the battle spells. They have this whole Pokemon like safari game going on where you capture the different spells from certain enemies and some enemies only appear at certain times and locations, etc.

Onemic

they're both gonna be GOTY contenders. biggest problem is finding the time to play both.

I'm calling this now.

Titanfall will be a dissapointment. Or, at least become a dissapointment after about 3 months in retrospect.

It seems that the games main draw are the titans and not really the gameplay. From the little I've seen of it, it still looks like a run of the mill fps with mechs sprinkled in.

You know what...

Hell naw, not with the current SE. Like, I always ask for Viewtiful Joe 3, but with the way Capcom is now, they would probably outsource it to Spark Unlimited or Ninja Theory's B-team for a gritty reboot with none of the depth of mechanics or interesting level design of the first two.

Luckily, we kinda got VJ3 with Wonderful 101, so yay. Unless you can get all the OG creators together to make a spiritual sequel like that, just let it be.

Slayven

Posted this on ig a few days ago and the author just commented "nice pants".

I lol'd
Been bothering me all day, you look like Bobby brown
bobby_brown.jpg

Hell naw, not with the current SE. Like, I always ask for Viewtiful Joe 3, but with the way Capcom is now, they would probably outsource it to Spark Unlimited or Ninja Theory's B-team for a gritty reboot with none of the depth of mechanics or interesting level design of the first two.

Luckily, we kinda got VJ3 with Wonderful 101, so yay. Unless you can get all the OG creators together to make a spiritual sequel like that, just let it be.

Why you bringing up Ls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom