• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinite

I can't find myself to feel bad for Ray Rice wife. A human being have a threshold of what they can take. I wouldn't be surprise if this wasn't new to them.
Abuse has a lot of dynamics that make it complex and not as easy as "well just leave them". Typically if a person is physically abusive to their partner they tend to be emotionally abusive and manipulative before any blow was thrown. They tend to isolate these people from their family and strip them of their autonomy and adulthood. The abuser creates a situation where the victim is emotionally and physically dependent on them. This is pretty damaging to ones self esteem too. So the victim stays because they think they need their abuser. Also a lot of other factors come into play like if they have children and the victim wants to stay around for the sake of their children. Lots of dynamics at play here.

You know, I see a lot of complaints about the skin tone options in Pokemon X/Y...

Don't get me wrong - I agree and all. I'm significantly darker than my character. But gotdamn do I love the style I have in game.

Infinite

You know, I see a lot of complaints about the skin tone options in Pokemon X/Y...

Don't get me wrong - I agree and all. I'm significantly darker than my character. But gotdamn do I love the style I have in game.
Too bad the men's clothing options suck but luckily I picked the girl avatar. I do wish they had more skin tone options and a larger variety of hairstyles. Is it too much to ask to be a cute black girl with a nice curly pink Afro?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Yeah they caught him. My question is have they caught Joe burden yet?

Now THAT too is a very good question haha

Just looked it up. They caught him about a month ago. He recently plead not guilty to 32 counts, including attempted murder.

Damn 32 counts... the fact that he pleads not guilty is hilariously ridiculous.

Too bad the men's clothing options suck but luckily I picked the girl avatar. I do wish they had more skin tone options and a larger variety of hairstyles. Is it too much to ask to be a cute black girl with a nice curly pink Afro?

:D

Eh, I liked the men's clothing options well enough. Got colored contacts, even :p

ReiGun

I can't find too much sympathy for Ray because actions have consequences. He chose to take that action, gotta accept what follows.

I especially can't feel too bad since he wouldn't have gotten away with it with that little slap on the wrist had TMZ not blown him up.

The men's clothing options were ass. "Hmm...do I want to looks like a hipster or a dirty trucker?" And unlocking that last boutique was a total disappointment.

KumaJG

It did but you couldn't change your skin tone in the game. Weird trade off I suppose.

Ray Rice is completely responsible for how he chosed to respond. Don't victim blame.

Not victim blaming. I am just saying she is just as responsible as ray rice

Jado

Banned

That's victim blaming. Please stop.

Side note: to whoever said Apple fans are crazier than Nintendo fans a few pages back.

No. You don't get to do this. You don't get to run away. Why do I show a basic lack of comprehension? Why? WHY? Do you think I'm dumb? Or you like all those idiots at school that pretending was I was idiotic despite me being the most exemplary student? I'm part of Mensa. I got perfects on my SAT and ACT. I managed to become a multi-millionaire before the age of fucking 21! HOW AM I NOT SMART! WHAT QUALIFIES AS SMART IN THIS INSANE UNIVERSE! WHY CAN I NEVER ACHIEVE IT! WHY MUST THERE ALWAYS BE PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO EXIST SOLELY TO LET ME KNOW HOW IDIOTIC I AM! WHAT MUST I DO TO PLEASE YOU STUPID MASTERS!

I have spent my entire life to prove my genius. I have spent every instance to master knowledge. Yet at every turn, every person thinks I'm dumb. Because I play video games. Or because I don't go to church. Or because I think Evolution trumps Creationism. And yet here, in the one threshold I have left to preserve my fucking sanity. There are people everywhere who seem determined to make me idiotic. WHY?

ibpJTd5cldhWBk.gif

Jado

Banned
Labor destroying minds out here. wtf

And this guy flipped out over this trivial shit.

So you not only spoil the final number of characters for smash, you keep going with the same tirade about "making people think"? The number of Nintendo characters that are non human is considerably larger than the number of humans, that reflects in Smash, obviously. Your trolling is annoying, I hope you get banned, specially for that fucking Smash spoiler.

I'm convinced in my earlier assessment that they're worse than Apple fanbase.

ReiGun

I have no point of comparison as I don't really hang around Apple fans or care enough to follow the Mac vs PC/iOS vs andriod shit. But I will say as someone who loves Nintendo games and their general design philosophies, I can't stand to talk to most Nintendo fans. I almost feel like a snob because, like anime, I'm super picky about which fans I'll actually hang out with and talk to. Online and off.

Mortemis

Banned
I have no point of comparison as I don't really hang around Apple fans or care enough to follow the Mac vs PC/iOS vs andriod shit. But I will say as someone who loves Nintendo games and their general design philosophies, I can't stand to talk to most Nintendo fans. I almost feel like a snob because, like anime, I'm super picky about which fans I'll actually hang out with and talk to. Online and off.

I'm basically the same, most of the friends I have that are into nintendo games or anime are the ones I grew up with playing smash or watching toonami with.

He got millions though. Labor, go make nice with him so he'll fund the BCT trip to Cancun.

By "multi-millionaire" i think he mean "I have one of those quarter holders from the bank, almost at ten dollars."

I grew up w/Nintendo and still think a lot of the games they put out are good, but I'm not trying to defend a corporation that doesn't give a shit about me outside of my spending habits over their trifling levels.

Jado

Banned
I was a huge Nintendo and overall video games fan as a kid, but for years now I have had a major disconnect with people who seem to be really into video games and anime, people who I once thought I could bond with easily. At least the ones I've encountered in person. The awkward, disheveled and body odor stereotypes have been true too many times. I used to play Yugioh TCG some 10 years ago in Forbidden Planet in NY. I was just trying to have fun in between classes, dating and work responsibilities. Some of the people I met were just dirty, smelly, obsessed to the point of a sort of frenzy with some of this stuff... Like seemingly nothing else was going on in their lives.

I remember buying an imported copy of some DS game back in 05/06 in Chinatown. Just go in and out and head home. Some guy, who probably hung out there every day and pestered the employees with inane shit, kept me for 30 seconds too long to comment on my purchase and yammer nonsense about this Nintendo game is better than that one and you gotta do this in the game to get to the blah and play this other game next. Very awkward, annoying guy... smelled horribly. I bounced quickly. If I wanna talk Mario, how am I supposed to with someone who is 100x more excited and practically in love with a corporate entity? Can't be done.

Reason is because she is just accountable as ray rice. You shouldn't put your hands or spit on someone.

I'm not going to use the term "victim blame" cause I think it's a non-starter... but.

1. In the video, dude shrugs her in the elevator
  2. She reacts
  3. Then dude hits here with a quick combo
  4. Then after knocking her out, he drags her and taps her with his feet like "bitch, get up!" while not giving a fuck that her skirt was high up.

Come on.

If my 3 year old gets mad at me for telling them "no crackers, tonight" and hits me in the balls, can I knock them the fuck out?

ReiGun

I was a huge Nintendo and overall video games fan as a kid, but for years now I have had a major disconnect with people who seem to be really into video games and anime, people who I once thought I could bond with easily. At least the ones I've encountered in person. The awkward, disheveled and body odor stereotypes have been true too many times. I used to play Yugioh TCG some 10 years ago in Forbidden Planet in NY. I was just trying to have fun in between classes, dating and work responsibilities. Some of the people I met were just dirty, smelly, obsessed to the point of a sort of frenzy with some of this stuff... Like seemingly nothing else was going on in their lives.

I remember buying an imported copy of some DS game back in 05/06 in Chinatown. Just go in and out and head home. Some guy, who probably hung out there every day and pestered the employees with inane shit, kept me for 30 seconds too long to comment on my purchase and yammer nonsense about this Nintendo game is better than that one and you gotta do this in the game to get to the blah and play this other game next. Very awkward, annoying guy... smelled horribly. I bounced quickly. If I wanna talk Mario, how am I supposed to with someone who is 100x more excited and practically in love with a corporate entity? Can't be done.
Over time, I think a gulf just forms as you grow and not only start to define yourself by things other than your hobbies, but also as your social skills expand and your belief systems change. And then other people who like the things you do just stagnate and don't move beyond that. A quick look over my post history shows I can go all in talking about some comics or movies or whatever, but I have other interests and things I care about. A lot of these people, sad to say, just don't really have that.

And granted, it's because a lot of them are young. Not just Nintendo fans, but gamers in general. But for those that are around my age (25), I just can't do it. Cause like you said, I can't have a normal conversation with someone who loves this shit like it's a person. Like Nintendo or Madhouse personally care about them. We're on different levels here.

Jado

Banned
That comparison to a 3 year old may seem silly to some, but it's apt. Most men are significantly stronger than women so that any typical physical altercation will generally be a lot more dangerous for women. Replace regular guy with really strong dude in pro sports and we're talking about a guy who can kill a person with a punch if he hits hard enough. As such, it's on the man to show greater restraint and find ways to diffuse situations (that the woman may have started), not escalate them into dangerous territory.

Mortemis

Banned
Over time, I think a gulf just forms as you grow and not only start to define yourself by things other than your hobbies, but also as your social skills expand and your belief systems change. And then other people who like the things you do just stagnate and don't move beyond that. A quick look over my post history shows I can go all in talking about some comics or movies or whatever, but I have other interests and things I care about. A lot of these people, sad to say, just don't really have that.

And granted, it's because a lot of them are young. Not just Nintendo fans, but gamers in general. But for those that are around my age (25), I just can't do it. Cause like you said, I can't have a normal conversation with someone who loves this shit like it's a person. Like Nintendo or Madhouse personally care about them. We're on different levels here.

You make a good point, plus the people that love this stuff to the point that it defines them can never really be relatable enough to ever be friends. Like we can both like Zelda but that could be the only thing we have in common, its what happens a lot when I meet an anime fan, nothing in common other than that.

Anyways I'll be getting a mic tomorrow so I can play with some of y'all in Destiny.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
As such, it's on the man to show greater restraint and find ways to diffuse situations
every party should take responsibility for their own actions.

edit: I'm speaking strictly about escalating negative situations in general not the video.

FreeMufasa

I remember nerds wouldn't let me into their circle in high school because I was one of those sports guys who "kicks a sphere around". Shit ton of subtle racism too.

Silky

Banned
Uchigatana, brehs. Buff the shit out of it that extra reach will come in handy

Also, go through Darkroot always

I see this shit all the time on the internet. Got niggas thinking you're saving gaming cause you buy a wii-u ad swear up and down that the other two groups aint shit. Like lol

I don't think I was ever too into things like that, probably was though.

Like years ago I realized I'm just not into Anime like that, just into the shit that's like the stuff that introduced me to it like DBZ and Gundam and my tastes just go there.

Other wise if its Anime I look at it and just move on typically. I can even get into the "Anime" FGs because the Aesthetic isn't really all that pleasing to me.

made my second character in Destiny just now and found THE perfect look. Should've checked out the Awoken faces yesterday, but the ones I saw in the thread were busted

Kreed

Like Jado mentioned, Ray Rice is a professional athlete and attacking a woman with his fists is like using a weapon. He shouldn't be putting his hands on anyone in any situation outside of a football game.

I will say though that if Solange is looking at this Ray Rice situation, she better be happy she got off easy. Ignoring the NFL issues, not only did she not get dragged nearly as bad as Rice outside of being a source of comedy fodder, nor did she have to do any public apologies/any anti violence campaigns, but Jay-Z got blamed for the incident by some in the media for cheating on Beyonce.

RedSwirl

I don't understand how these people smell so much (and I've met them). The reason I don't understand it is because I look at me.

In between fruitlessly sending out job applications games are pretty much the only thing I have to do with my free time right now. I probably play multiple hours of video games a day. I'm tracking like a dozen release dates between now and Christmas. Once every few days I might leave my house to get something to eat or buy a comic (the Sonic Archie comic no less). I'm friends with like two people out here. And I still find 30 minutes every day to step in the goddamn shower and brush my teeth.

I don't understand how these people smell so much (and I've met them). The reason I don't understand it is because I look at me.

In between fruitlessly sending out job applications games are pretty much the only thing I have to do with my free time right now. I probably play multiple hours of video games a day. I'm tracking like a dozen release dates between now and Christmas. Once every few days I might leave my house to get something to eat or buy a comic (the Sonic Archie comic no less). I'm friends with like two people out here. And I still find 30 minutes every day to step in the goddamn shower and brush my teeth.

Problem is most of em forgo any other type of social interaction and as a result they don't care.

I like Nintendo stuff for 3 main reasons:
There games a highly collectable
It reminds me of my childhood
It allows me to share this hobby with my kids without the tomfoolery online of most other consoles.

Malyse

Korra S4 starting October 3rd

that's soon as fuck
gkc1D.png

Whoa. Nick is obvs over this series.

I finally beat KH Final Mix. Still a great game. Fuck Utada Hikaru tho

I'll cut you.

RE: Hollywood.

A lot of the reason that they always cast white male leads is because of the international audience. Studies have shown the people in other parts if the world, namely India and China, don't consider a film a "real Hollywood film" unless there's some white dude in the lead. And when you have stuff like Prince of Persia, a flop in the US but a blockbuster worldwide, you'll want to appease the greater audience. And I honestly don't see how you fix that mentality.

Slayven

That shit apparently still gets ratings, but damned if I know who's watching. I have like one friend who swears by it but I don't even chuckle when I watch.

I miss MadTV and In Living Color.
Maggie from Black Jesus was supposily in the "In Living Color" reboot.

pokemon X/y is way too easy.

That's victim blaming. Please stop.

Side note: to whoever said Apple fans are crazier than Nintendo fans a few pages back.
I learned during the Beats thing Apple fans are racist as the fuck.

I think the disconnect is that you like and even love games and anime, but you don't define yourself by it. There are folks taht live and breath that shit because that is all they have.

ReiGun

Like Jado mentioned, Ray Rice is a professional athlete and attacking a woman with his fists is like using a weapon. He shouldn't be putting his hands on anyone in any situation outside of a football game.

I will say though that if Solange is looking at this Ray Rice situation, she better be happy she got off easy. Ignoring the NFL issues, not only did she not get dragged nearly as bad as Rice outside of being a source of comedy fodder, nor did she have to do any public apologies/any anti violence campaigns, but Jay-Z got blamed for the incident by some in the media for cheating on Beyonce.
Solange got off easy because 1. we don't take female on male violence as seriously (unfortunately for those suffering abuse) and 2. no one was really hurt. Now if the tape had shown her really beating the fuck out of Jay - like seriously hurting him - we might have reacted differently. Course, given the size difference, that's unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom