• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Solange got off easy because 1. we don't take female on male violence as seriously (unfortunately for those suffering abuse) and 2. no one was really hurt. Now if the tape had shown her really beating the fuck out of Jay - like seriously hurting him - we might have reacted differently. Course, given the size difference, that's unlikely.
Jay earned my respect that day. He handled it right when he could have easily done it the wrong way.

Fuck Ray Rice.

Simple as that.

We live in a day, were everything has to have too sides.

Solange got off easy because 1. we don't take female on male violence as seriously (unfortunately for those suffering abuse) and 2. no one was really hurt. Now if the tape had shown her really beating the fuck out of Jay - like seriously hurting him - we might have reacted differently. Course, given the size difference, that's unlikely.

Not sure if he does anymore but didn't Jay used to train with a boxing coach?

Anywho Ray Ray is/was in a industry where less than 10% of the people pursuing that profession actually attain it. Bottom line you have to be condition a certain type of way to excel in that field and he made it. The simple fact he threw that punch without any hesitation shows where he was mentally. Simple put like Esco said fuck em. Same goes for any other dude who thinks it's ok to assault a female.

Jado

Banned
I learned during the Beats thing Apple fans are racist as the fuck.

I think the disconnect is that you like and even love games and anime, but you don't define yourself by it. There are folks taht live and breath that shit because that is all they have.

Pretty much. Some dudes go insane when the one thing that defines them gets criticized. It's like a personal attack on them. The gamergate stuff has been this embarrassing aspect of gaming culture personified into a big, childish non-event. It is just about nothing. If the general public caught wind of this shit, all the coli faces and disappointed gifs would not convey how dumb and immature they'd find the overall gaming community.

Relevant:
mnZol.jpg

Regarding Apple:
The Beats thing was the unusual level of criticism against hip hop and Dre himself, right? Like guy was personally ruining Apple and it was his fault.

RedSwirl

Problem is most of em forgo any other type of social interaction and as a result they don't care.

I like Nintendo stuff for 3 main reasons:
There games a highly collectable
It reminds me of my childhood
It allows me to share this hobby with my kids without the tomfoolery online of most other consoles.

I probably get less social interaction than some of those people and I still smell better. Explain that shit.

ufZrnEm.jpg

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
That's what I thought of too RedSwirl. Just watched that for the first time maybe a month ago. Goddamn what a movie.

Jado

Banned
There were a lot of people reporting back on the Sony E3 movie theater events -- about how badly it stunk like strong BO. Been to many packed theaters and never once even thought about bad smell. That right there clues you in that something is wrong with hardcore gamers.

Just remembered former coworker saying she went to a Smash tourney with an ex... And the horrible odor. I also walked into a Games Workshop once; nice store, but it was pretty fucking rank.

Infinite

There were a lot of people reporting back on the Sony E3 movie theater events -- about how badly it stunk like strong BO. Been to many packed theaters and never once even thought about bad smell. That right there clues you in that something is wrong with hardcore gamers.

Just remembered former coworker saying she went to a Smash tourney with an ex... And the horrible odor. I also walked into a Games Workshop once; nice store, but it was pretty fucking rank.
Fucking card game tournaments has the worse odor. Niggas legit don't scrub their ass,

Gorillaz

I've smelled enough for a lifetime after going to the MW2 midnight launch

BO+Broken fan+nasty ass subs laying around=scust face for days

I bet comic con and anime conventions are gas mask required

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I've smelled enough for a lifetime after going to the MW2 midnight launch

BO+Broken fan+nasty ass subs laying around=scust face for days

I bet comic con and anime conventions are gas mask required

Day one is fine, day 2 is getting to be trouble, but day 3 is the real shitride.

Fuck Ray Rice.

Simple as that.

Yep.

Jay earned my respect that day. He handled it right when he could have easily done it the wrong way.

Jay was smart. He knows it's not worth the goddamn hassle. Someone was talking in the Ray Rice thread about people clowning on Jay-Z because Solange beat him, like Jay-Z gives a shit what you think when he steps onto his private yacht with Beyonce.

Motherfucker has some work ethic.

Malyse

You've pretty much reached a conclusion I've made about all fandoms, that conclusion being "fuck your fandom". Fan(atic)s of everything are awful people generally as a rule. Gamers are shit. Otaku are shit. Comic nerds are shit. Cinephiles are shit. Anyone who needs something outside of themselves to define them is shit, more so if you feel a need to luxuriate in your intolerance to differing opinions. /rant

Sources: Rice told NFL he hit fiancee

During the meeting, a source said, Rice's wife asked Goodell not to harm Rice's career or his image with the public with severe sanctions. She had also assured the commissioner that the incident in the elevator was the only time Rice had struck her.

The Wall Street Journal on Thursday afternoon reported that a team owner said Goodell didn't punish Rice more harshly out of respect for Rice's wife and also because Goodell heard Janay Rice say that she had struck Rice as well. The story also said that Goodell "said he left the meeting believing that Janay Rice had become unconscious because she had fallen during the scuffle," according to the owner.

When she had "blamed" the media for screwing with her life and marriage, she probably had a point. Regardless of what our feelings are of the mindset of victims of domestic violence, she swayed the commish to give him 2 games. TMZ, other media outlets, and social media turned it to an indefinite ban.

I don't see how Ray loses the appeal he filed. He's a horrible guy for putting his hands on her, but due process is due process.

Shoutout to Greg Hardy who was convicted of domestic violence yesterday and is playing this sunday. Gotta love the appeals process.

Village

Pretty much. Some dudes go insane when the one thing that defines them gets criticized. It's like a personal attack on them. The gamergate stuff has been this embarrassing aspect of gaming culture personified into a big, childish non-event. It is just about nothing. If the general public caught wind of this shit, all the coli faces and disappointed gifs would not convey how dumb and immature they'd find the overall gaming community.

I would not call gamer gate a criticism, or whatever that orginal article was any sort of critcism. I would call that contradictory writing and sweeping generalizations of a term that is a none issue.
Gamegate was both nothing and something in cosmic sort of way.

Jado

Banned

Reaction of that woman next to him says it all. I worked in a South Bronx Kmart for 3 long-ass months when I was 19. With the fuckheads I dealt with every day (petty managers acting big on slave wages, dumbass cashiers, customers throwing fits over 16 cents and $3 shoes), felt like the smartest and hardest working guy in the entire building. But it's shitty p/t retail/food service. That's really not something you announce and brag about to the whole world. It's a step above the Chris Rock bit about people who proudly brag about feeding their kids.

That makes it seem like they didn't tell the whole truth to Goodell in order to save Ray's NFL career. Why would he win an appeal?

3 reasons

It's the Commish words over 5 unnamed sources. I'd like to think Rodger's weight in words isn't worth more than those 5.

He gave him the new suspension without a chance to appeal it via the NFLPA. As such, you have your right (as apart of the player's union) to appeal any suspension (and most likely ban) specifically concerning mid season (disciplinary) rule changes. I.e. Josh Gordon reportedly getting his season long ban shorten to 8 games AFTER new drug rule changes.

If every player is gonna be treated the same for the same offenses, either Greg Hardy gonna get an indefinite suspension or Ray will AT LEAST get his 2 games given to him over the off-season. But personally I think it'll be 6. You can't have Ray serve an indefinite suspension while Greg won't get more than 6 (and if he does, he'll go through appeals and win his case based on the rules set)

Decisions were made after the fact based on emotions. Again, not saying he doesn't deserve a suspension, but what he got because of social media pressure was not the correct one.

ReiGun

That young brother is just taking pride in his work. Said if i got to make bagels and coffee I'm gonna make the best damn bagels and coffee the hood has ever seen.

ReiGun

I remember when the whitewashing with Avatar happened and people swore Aang was supposed to be white in the show.

Kid named Aang dressed like a Tibetan monk is white, huh? Really dude?

Jado

Banned
To me this is a "no shit" thing that I see get argued ALL the time on GAF. It blows my mind every time.

I'm convinced after seeing some cosplay. Good Japanese cosplayers look a lot more believable than even the best American ones. I saw a great one of Pain recently and comparable white dude just looked comical and way off.

I..... disagree. Case in point, the front page image has three characters but one of them is a female King Arthur from Britain. It would be impossible to notice that without someone telling you.

Different works have different styles and his use of one image to show "This is how Japanese people draw westerners" is as bad as the people he is admonishing, especially since it contradicts with the first image.

At the same time, I wouldn't say that Japanese people draw themselves as white.... It's more complicated than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom