• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT8| Hands Up, Don't Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Shit is mad corny. Movie plots, on average, are easily just as stupid. perhaps it's the uncanny valley inherent in videogames that makes it more difficult to for people to connect with than a film.

No, it's that video game plots are usually worse.

Which is understandable, because narrative is inherently less important to video games as a medium. The greatest game of all time could have literally no plot to speak of, the same could not be said of a great movie.

"like a video game" is almost always a negative thing in movie reviews, but "cinematic" is almost always a positive thing for video game reviews. Kinda shows the hierarchy of respectability these mediums have.

Like calling movies or comics "literary" is always a good thing, these young upstart creative mediums with their images and shit compared to novels/prose that have been around forever.

Seriously guys, I hate the current state of offtopic. Discussions are aggressive and vicious. It's more like a death match. If you don't agree with someone you get immediately talked down, belittled or called names.
What I say now may awfully sound like "I have black friends" but hear me out for a second please, it's kinda important to understand my whole point.

I'm 37 years old, I'm living for almost my whole life as a foreigner in Germany. All my friends are foreigners. Arabs mainly but also Russians, Italians ans Turks. We got discriminated because we didn't look the part all the time. Police checked constantly our IDs, we got in fights with Skin Heads all the time in the 90s. In that time we had asylum seekers dying as Nazis burned the shitty hostels where they lived. I was in jail for some time because of fight I was involved in against a group of Skin Heads. Everyone of my friends, including me, are listening to Hip-Hop. Not because we try to be "gangsta" but because we can relate to.

Here comes Zwarte Piet. Last year I made some pretty stupid comments about it because I didn't know better. I already apologized because I understood I was wrong. I still feel bad about it. Now I stand by what I said in regards of Germanys lack of context when it comes to blackface but what I said clearly offended people with context right here. That wasn't my brightest moment.

So yeah, I'm white but I know quite a bit about how shitty living as a minority can be. Even worse, as a Italian I'm "on of the good foreigners". Obviously still a foreigner but not as horrible as a Arab. Great. In that blackface thread someone flat out told me that there is little to no racism against whites.
Yeah, in the US! But what about all of Europe where everyone hates everyone. What about the Jews not that long ago? Palestinians now?

What happens right now isn't the way to fight racism or anything really. You can't just accuse everyone to be a racist, misogynist or whatever. Some people on this thread have me on their "he belongs to RacistGAF" group and it sickens me.

I know that I don't really have to care. I'm still battling with the cancer I had four years ago and I have 11 month old son. I have my mind full already.
But I do care, because I hate how you guys are treated. So, if you see me in future threads and I might not align with you 100% please don't just lump me in the worst group there is.

Please don't ignore this because of my lack in eloquence. English is my third language and this is a pretty difficult discussion to have.

I appreciate your heartfelt and personal post. Hope you fuck cancer up, too!

But you kind of just lumped us all together. If someone said there's hardly any racism against whites, who was it? What was the context? We all don't sgree or say the same things. We all don't have a list of "usual suspects" or even care enough to keep tabs.

Another thing, who is calling everyone racist? Are there examples of this? Let's discuss that. These implications against the entire thread don't really help the discourse either.

Malyse

Seriously guys, I hate the current state of offtopic. Discussions are aggressive and vicious. It's more like a death match. If you don't agree with someone you get immediately talked down, belittled or called names.
What I say now may awfully sound like "I have black friends" but hear me out for a second please, it's kinda important to understand my whole point.

I'm 37 years old, I'm living for almost my whole life as a foreigner in Germany. All my friends are foreigners. Arabs mainly but also Russians, Italians ans Turks. We got discriminated because we didn't look the part all the time. Police checked constantly our IDs, we got in fights with Skin Heads all the time in the 90s. In that time we had asylum seekers dying as Nazis burned the shitty hostels where they lived. I was in jail for some time because of fight I was involved in against a group of Skin Heads. Everyone of my friends, including me, are listening to Hip-Hop. Not because we try to be "gangsta" but because we can relate to.

Here comes Zwarte Piet. Last year I made some pretty stupid comments about it because I didn't know better. I already apologized because I understood I was wrong. I still feel bad about it. Now I stand by what I said in regards of Germanys lack of context when it comes to blackface but what I said clearly offended people with context right here. That wasn't my brightest moment.

So yeah, I'm white but I know quite a bit about how shitty living as a minority can be. Even worse, as a Italian I'm "on of the good foreigners". Obviously still a foreigner but not as horrible as a Arab. Great. In that blackface thread someone flat out told me that there is little to no racism against whites.
Yeah, in the US! But what about all of Europe where everyone hates everyone. What about the Jews not that long ago? Palestinians now?

What happens right now isn't the way to fight racism or anything really. You can't just accuse everyone to be a racist, misogynist or whatever. Some people on this thread have me on their "he belongs to RacistGAF" group and it sickens me.

I know that I don't really have to care. I'm still battling with the cancer I had four years ago and I have 11 month old son. I have my mind full already.
But I do care, because I hate how you guys are treated. So, if you see me in future threads and I might not align with you 100% please don't just lump me in the worst group there is.

Please don't ignore this because of my lack in eloquence. English is my third language and this is a pretty difficult discussion to have.

I would hope that no one here would judge anyone too harshly for statements made in ignorance, especially when you clearly made efforts to educate yourself. At the very least, if you apologize for your fuck ups, then you're cool with me.

----

Speaking of, I did find where I saw that "Redskins logo was designed by a Native American" thing, but the ensuing fuckery from the organization made it clear that regardless of logo origins and the genesis of the team name, the current statement is not from a genuine place. Though i do still believe it started as gesture of goodwill, it can no longer be taken as such and the best course would be to change the name.

----
A question: if you were the partner of someone who pulled a code avarice on you, what would you do? Would you break the partnership? Would you end the friendship? It would you try to work with them to fix it?

Basically, would you stay or would you go?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
I appreciate your heartfelt and personal posts. Hope you fuck cancer up, too!

But you kind of just lumped us all together. If someone said there's hardly any racism against whites, who was it? What was the context? We all don't sgree or say the same things. We all don't have a list of "usual suspects" or even care enough to keep tabs.

Another thing, who is calling everyone racist? Are there examples of this? Let's discuss that. These implications against the entire thread don't really help the discourse either.

Yeah, in hindsight I can see how my post looks like I want to lump all of you together. That's really not what I wanted. Obviously most of you are cool cats.
I have to put my son to bed right now but I will post a link to the racism against white discussion later, ok?

edit
I will answer you too later DreamDrop.

Trey

I disagree. The highest grossing blockbuster movies this year are stories mined from comic books, and Godzilla with a plot so bad it thought it could get away with having Godzilla on screen for less than 6 minutes. The forefront of movie-going is at parity with video games when it comes to story, movies just have stuff like Boyhood to fall back on when people want to point that out.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Yeah, in hindsight I can see how my post looks like I want to lump all of you together. That's really not what I wanted. Obviously most of you are cool cats.
I have to put my son to bed right now but I will post a link to the racism against white discussion later, ok?

edit

Another thing is, no one is going to co-sign an "official response by the Black Culture Thread" and if they did they would be full of it. Because the people in this community are all individuals. I also appreciate you took the time to write that and post it in here with what seems like genuine intent. If you continue to post like that in other threads I don't see any big problems, even if I might disagree with what you say.

The main thing I am noticing is people appear to be really apprehensive or anxious about being perceived as racist. I have been racist before and I think it was especially bad around the time I got mugged and also around 9/11 when I had a lot of misconceptions about Islamic culture. I might make some poor choices that could be racist in the future. I don't think this makes me a terrible person as long as I continue to try and make an effort and educate myself about confront erroneous beliefs. It's about empathy I think.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I wish I had a tag but I fear it would be something unbelievably weird or embarrassing like "She may be part bear" Or something.

:(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish I had a tag but I fear it would be something unbelievably weird or embarrassing like "She may be part bear" Or something.

:(
I don't see a problem with that. The fear of a shitty tag that makes your posts worthless is far worse.

I remember seeing a dude with "mouthbreathing pedo" and it always tainted his posts, even though I never knew the context.

Kreed

edit

Adding to what Byakuya said, you need to keep in mind that this thread is a thread in the Offtopic community on GAF, where all GAF members can come to discuss black culture (and other topics depending on the hour). Your post is addressed towards past discussions you've participated in/have read in the Off topic. While you probably have seen posters in this thread also participating in those topics, this thread is not the thread to address those issues if you're trying to address everyone you may have had issues with in the Off Topic. Besides the fact that not everyone in this thread has participated in those discussions, It's highly unlikely that every person on GAF that participated in Off Topic threads you're complaining about participates in this thread. And even if you just wanted to address GAFers who are black that participated in those threads, not every black GAFer participates in this thread.

I understand your intentions, but please keep in mind that we are not a hive mind going forward in this thread, despite what you may have heard.

Malyse

I don't see a problem with that. The fear of a shitty tag that makes your posts worthless is far worse.

I remember seeing a dude with "mouthbreathing pedo" and it always tainted his posts, even though I never knew the context.

Or it tempers expectations. I saw a dude with idiot or something of the sort. He shortly proved it.

No

Nooooooooooooooo

I make such terrible choices

Bear girl? Everyone will make fun of me! :(

Nobody sane makes fun of the bears...

Unless, of course, it's these bears.

yogibearshow.jpg

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Tags happen when you least expect them.

I was under the radar until I showed up in nfl gaf and boom a tag suddenly appeared.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Adding to what Byakuya said, you need to keep in mind that this thread is a thread in the Offtopic community on GAF, where all GAF members can come to discuss black culture (and other topics depending on the hour). Your post is addressed towards past discussions you've participated in/have read in the Off topic. While you probably have seen posters in this thread also participating in those topics, this thread is not the thread to address those issues if you're trying to address everyone you may have had issues with in the Off Topic. Besides the fact that not everyone in this thread has participated in those discussions, It's highly unlikely that every person on GAF that participated in Off Topic threads you're complaining about participates in this thread. And even if you just wanted to address GAFers who are black that participated in those threads, not every black GAFer participates in this thread.

I understand your intentions, but please keep in mind that we are not a hive mind going forward in this thread, despite what you may have heard.
According to these rules there isn't a thread on this board where my post in its entirety would have been appropriate. But I can't dispute that you are probably right. I'm sorry if anyone thought that I'm trying to lump all of you together. That reeeally wasn't my intend.

"Wyoming leaglizes same-sex marriage; Dystopia rampages on"

So I originally thought this was a pretty funny thread title, but now I wonder if I should actually be feeling the need to puke for another clear example of baiting.

strobogo

Banned

Which is understandable, because narrative is inherently less important to video games as a medium. The greatest game of all time could have literally no plot to speak of, the same could not be said of a great movie.

"like a video game" is almost always a negative thing in movie reviews, but "cinematic" is almost always a positive thing for video game reviews. Kinda shows the hierarchy of respectability these mediums have.

Like calling movies or comics "literary" is always a good thing, these young upstart creative mediums with their images and shit compared to novels/prose that have been around forever.

I've seen a lot of movies in theaters this year and a lot of them feel like the set pieces are made specifically to be remade for the video game adaptations that never come. I find myself thinking, "this is like a video game" often this year. It's rarely a good thing. But then again, I barely even play games anymore. All action movies (and some horror movies) feel like they are trying to make dope video game sequences. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it makes me want to play a video game version. Other times it distracts and annoys me. I don't even know what I'm trying to say. I'm going to go read Tao Te Ching.

I just woke. What the flying fuck is going on in here. I mean I leave for 8 hours and motherfuckers taking potshots in here. We better then this family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom