• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT9| More Priest, Less Hudlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furyous

Em probably just raps for the money these days

Em doesn't need money. He has two albums that went diamond... THEM SHITS WENT DIAMOND MY G! IN THE FUCKING 90'S/EARLY2000'S.

Em raps to secure his legacy and put on for his city. Detroit is already popping everyday we count success in hip-hop but Em continues to rep like the elder statesmen he is.

With that said, Em is the worst rapper out now in the legend category. Fuck that rappity rap include the entire thesaurus shit he on. He's on fumes at this point but that's cool because he's in the rafters as an OG.

RP912

Banned
The thing about Em is that his best years were all a gimmick. We heard enough about killing his wife, fuck his moms, hate "f words", and etc. Once that shit hits a dead wall...it's too late to try to come back. Imagine if Nas talked about eating toosie rolls, jump rope, and dancing on a queensbridge project building throughout half his career. He wouldn't be labeled GOAT.

If Em would have flip the subjects around and tried not to play in the whole "if its not broke, don't fix it" routine. He wouldn't be put in a falling off category.

BTW his fanbase are star raving lunatics. I cringed when I see Em's name as one of the best to do it in modern times like Kendrick didn't murdered him and hid the evidence on his own shit.

"I don't like rap, but I love Eminem" fans make it hard to discuss Eminem seriously these days.

funny how the next dude to get on that level was macklemore...hahaha

Yeah there are people who exaggerate their talents but that's just a fanboy being a fanboy just like anything else. Anyone countering with an extreme in the other direction makes themselves look just as silly.

The thing about Em is that his best years were all a gimmick. We heard enough about killing his wife, fuck his moms, hate "f words", and etc. Once that shit hits a dead wall...it's too late to try to come back. Imagine if Nas talked about eating toosie rolls, jump rope, and dancing on a queensbridge project building throughout half his career. He wouldn't be labeled GOAT.

If Em would have flip the subjects around and tried not to play in the whole "if its not broke, don't fix it" routine. He wouldn't be put in a falling off category.

BTW his fanbase are star raving lunatics. I cringed when I see Em's name as one of the best to do it in modern times like Kendrick didn't murdered him and hid the evidence on his own shit.

Em wasn't ever labeled GOAT because of his shock rap content. It was because of his crazy schemes and his ability to paint a picture with them.

RP912

Banned
Yeah there are people who exaggerate their talents but that's just a fanboy being a fanboy just like anything else. Anyone countering with an extreme in the other direction makes themselves look just as silly.

Em wasn't ever labeled GOAT because of his shock rap content. It was because of his crazy schemes and his ability to paint a picture with them.

True but most people think of em for his shtick. If Em was doing Infinite shit throughout his career, he would be on Rawkus/Def Jux instead of Aftermath.

I'm just being real. Dope rapper but he was a gimmick.

Imm0rt4l

I think Eminem has like 3 songs dedicated to his daughter(s)

Hailys song off eminems show was the best, it was poignant. Other songs where he talked about his family became less interesting as it was obvious that he didn't have any inspiration to draw from and decided to retread those grounds. I think hailys song might be the reason he started singing his own hooks, whichI find incredibly annoying.

RP912

Banned
Another thing that really piss me off about em is the fact he fucked up Encore with the other half of the album. That album would have been a good sendoff while he get his life together but holy shit...rain man, big weenie, and PUKE :/ :/ :/

Don't get me started with Ass Like That. I can't take dude seriously with silly ass songs like that and I listen to shit like the Macho Man rap album.

Kreed

People who exaggerate Eminem/Macklemore's talents at least are listening to the music. The problem with my example, which you can see on GAF in any Eminem thread, is there is a segment of people who do not listen to hip hop at all/and or haven't listened to a hip hop song since the 90s, that want to crown Eminem/Macklemore as the best MCs.

Who's 3k?

Andre 3000

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Even in this boring ass Shady Cypher, Em can still "rap circles around rap erkels" with relative ease. He's a beast when it comes to rapping, but as an artist, he hit the Larry Holmes garden a long ass time ago.

True but most people think of em for his shtick. If Em was doing Infinite shit throughout his career, he would be on Rawkus/Def Jux instead of Aftermath.

I'm just being real. Dope rapper but he was a gimmick.

Em's "gimmick" really was only effective at getting visibility. After that it was his skills and Dre's production that gave him that universal appeal to really make it big. The very nature of a gimmick is flash in the pan. People quickly recognize it and move on. His skills are what have given him the longevity that he's had. If not for the combo of his drug addiction and Dre going into a music seclusion, he probably wouldn't be getting half the hate he does now.

I mean I don't think he was even seriously discussed in the GOAT category until the whole Murder Inc/Benzino thing popped off and every diss track he dropped was fire. I mean people dug 20 years deep to find songs where he used racial slurs and it was barely a dip in his popularity.

RP912

Banned
Don't get me wrong Em is nice. If he came out with a pure Infinite type of album with nothing but spittage...I would cop. Other than that, dude is Tyson trying to beat himself in his own video game.

L's out of the ass.

RP912

Banned
Em's "gimmick" really was only effective at getting visibility. After that it was his skills and Dre's production that gave him that universal appeal to really make it big. The very nature of a gimmick is flash in the pan. People quickly recognize it and move on. His skills are what have given him the longevity that he's had. If not for the combo of his drug addiction and Dre going into a music seclusion, he probably wouldn't be getting half the hate he does now.

I mean I don't think he was even seriously discussed in the GOAT category until the whole Murder Inc/Benzino thing popped off and every diss track he dropped was fire. I mean people dug 20 years deep to find songs where he used racial slurs and it was barely a dip in his popularity.

True. I see what you mean. The whole murder inc/shady thing was crazy at the time. Almost everybody was beefing even fucking magazines. People slept on Ja's diss though.

jWILL253

Banned
I'm personally just waiting for the moment that Em just goes "Fuck it", and makes an Infinite-style album with production from Just Blaze, Statik Selektah, Black Milk and Alchemist. With guest spots from Elzhi, Phonte, Action Bronson, Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, and Kendrick.

That shit would be soooooo subliiiiiiimmmmeeeee...

DominoKid

I'm personally just waiting for the moment that Em just goes "Fuck it", and makes an Infinite-style album with production from Just Blaze, Statik Selektah, Black Milk and Alchemist. With guest spots from Elzhi, Phonte, Action Bronson, Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, and Kendrick.

pray for things that'll never happen brehs.

People who exaggerate Eminem/Macklemore's talents at least are listening to the music. The problem with my example, which you can see on GAF in any Eminem thread, is there is a segment of people who do not listen to hip hop at all/and or haven't listened to a hip hop song since the 90s, that want to crown Eminem/Macklemore as the best MCs.

With Em, there's an argument to be made (stricly from the technical standpoint) and I can't recall seeing posters propping up Macklemore to that extent. Not to say they don't exist. I just chalk those kinds of replies to musical ignorance though. It plagues every genre of music to various extents.

royalan

Told my roommate/good-friend that I don't like being talked to while I'm in the bathroom.

...now he makes a point to have full blown conversations with me while I'm in the bathroom...

jWILL253

Banned
idk why people think only black people use nigga? i grew up using it and had friends who were Asian, Hispanic, and white who said it all the time with me and my other black friends. it was just a word we grew up around. it only becomes offensive when non-blacks from areas that dont really talk like that want to start saying nigga just to be "cool". honestly tho, if people stopped saying nigger as an insult to black folk and people wanted to just start using nigga like it has been used, then i dont care who says nigga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJ6H-6PKJg&list=FLtc91KKuLEPbYf0wktykzEg&index=9

mmmmm em on a album with nothing but Blaze, Premo, and ski beatz production.

AOTY

him dissing his mom and referencing celebs sure would sound dope over good production. Maybe he'll even sing most of the choruses in that high computers assisted register, that'd be cool.

y'all need to get over Em. He's been washed up forever now. Best you can hope for is a dope feature every once in a while.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Told my roommate/good-friend that I don't like being talked to while I'm in the bathroom.

...now he makes a point to have full blown conversations with me while I'm in the bathroom...
Hate when people do that shit pun intended. Its like damn, let me live.

mmmmm em on a album with nothing but Blaze, Premo, and ski beatz production.

AOTY

...this isn't Nas we're talking about he's just as weak a link as his generic poppy production these days.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Okay so, I just got a free pie from a restaurant. I really wasn't expecting that!

In hindsight, the guy behind the counter did wink at me and kept calling me darling.

I ain't mad. (Consumes pie like a piggy)

Moris talking about Em always sound like he used to rock his albums hard as fuck back in the day, but he has that one friend who still thinks he's the GOAT and won't shut up about it

Andre 3000

And then there's people who expect to be taken seriously when they group Macklemore and Eminem together. Seriously, what do they have in common aside from being white rappers? NOTHING. Eminem was (and still can be) a beast of an MC.

strobogo

Banned
I saw interstellar. Neat movie i'd never see again. Pretty good way to spend a monday I guess?

What's been happening?

I audibly said, "Fuck this movie" in the theater. Luckily, my friend and I were the only ones in there. But about 90 minutes in I legit said that and meant it. And from the point that it made me say that, there were about another 75 minutes that were worse.

Movies this year I hated:

Nightcrawler, Interstellar, Annabelle, Hercules, Dracula Unleashed, Godzilla, Transformers, Spiderman 2, How to Train Your Dragon 2, TMNT, Ouija, This Is Where I Leave You.

Movies I thought were okay or really liked:

The Winter Soldier, GOTG, Girl Gone, John Wick, The Judge (although it would have been shitty with lesser actors), The Purge: Anarchy, 22 Jump Street, Edge of Tomorrow, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, DOFP.

royalan

Hate when people do that shit pun intended. Its like damn, let me live.

"Hey! You home!?"

"...Yeah?"

"What's up!?"

"Nothin, just in the bathroom!"

"What!?"

"JUST IN THE BATHROOM!"

"Cool! You notice I cleaned the tub???"

"...Yeah! It looks good! Thanks!"

"Yeah.................................Yo hey did you finish off my fruit loops!?"

"No nigga you did when you came home fucked up the other night!"

"What!?"

"NO NIGGA YOU DID WHEN YOU CAME HOME FUCKED UP THE OTHER NIGHT!"

Malyse

Okay so, I just got a free pie from a restaurant. I really wasn't expecting that!

In hindsight, the guy behind the counter did wink at me and kept calling me darling.

I ain't mad. (Consumes pie like a piggy)

PAPA+YOGI+(15).png

Makes sense.

"Hey! You home!?"

"...Yeah?"

"What's up!?"

"Nothin, just in the bathroom!"

"What!?"

"JUST IN THE BATHROOM!"

"Cool! You notice I cleaned the tub???"

"...Yeah! It looks good! Thanks!"

"Yeah.................................Yo hey did you finish off my fruit loops!?"

"No nigga you did when you came home fucked up the other night!"

"What!?"

"NO NIGGA YOU DID WHEN YOU CAME HOME FUCKED UP THE OTHER NIGHT!"

fucking lol

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
Apple.

But I couldn't tell you guys if the pie was good or not. I only eat the crust off pies. I'm a pastry lover but I hate cream filling and mixing breads with fruits/ice cream. I like them all separate.

The crust was delicious tho

Damn. Owned my ass with this one LOL

Ftfy
What is wrong with you

Malyse

Apple.

But I couldn't tell you guys if the pie was good or not. I only eat the crust off pies. I'm a pastry lover but I hate cream filling and mixing breads with fruits/ice cream. I like them all separate.

Have you ever had a pie with a pate brisee crust? It's sublime.

jWILL253

Banned
Apple.

You definitely ain't a good match for Mr. Yogi Bear.

He eats the WHOLE DAMN PIE WHOLE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom