• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Championships Wimbledon, 2016 |OT| Brexit at Wimbledon

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
that fifth set really left a bad taste, despite being obviously coming. that first set tiebreak really did prove to be crucial.

now to hope that federer can beat raonic. in this universe you cannot even risk the possibility that it might fall on berdych to stop the canadian monstrosity.

I think he described himself as the 'CEO of Milos Raonic Tennis' or something similar. I remember once he brought up pensions in a discussion of the problems facing lower ranked players. If Kyrgios is too often unprofessional, Raonic is, if anything, too professional. Doesn't help that his game is all about efficient serving either.

Would still cheer for him against Berdych though!

miserable

on this day, 8 years ago:

Wimbledon-memories-Roger-Federer-Rafael-Nadal_2963118.jpg

mRCtTR1.gif

Diamond

Raonic plays a more interesting tennis since Australian Open this year. Haven't seen him a lot since, partly because he was injured/hadn't fully recovered, but his game has evolved in the right direction. I wouldn't mind seeing him win. But I don't see him beating an in form Murray (and there's no way Murray won't win the semi).

on this day, 8 years ago:

Wimbledon-memories-Roger-Federer-Rafael-Nadal_2963118.jpg

mRCtTR1.gif

How Nadal managed, for a few years, to consistently reach the final/win at Wimbledon is still surprising to me. That gave us great matches though.

0BQZFp.gif

Still one of the most epic moments I've seen live.

Kozak

Banned
He's a servebot with no personality. Not saying he should act like Kyrgios. But Roddick was a servebot, but atleast he had some sort of character about him.

Anyone who actually follows him could tell you what a great character he is.

He may not be a personality, but not everyone is looking for attention out there.

Incredibly hard working, critical and humble dude. Deserves all the success he achieves.

RedAssedApe

Banned
i'm bracing for roger to get knocked out in straight sets. seems like he has the occasional big win but hasn't ever really been able to keep that momentum going through to the rest of a slam.

Deku Tree

I think Fed still has enough fuel in the tank to take home another championship. Doesn't mean he will do it, but I think he still has what it takes to win.

Diamond

If he was playing like last year, I would definitely put him ahead of Murray in the contenders. But with his injury he lost a lot of his momentum. I'm not seeing him beating Raonic and Andy back to back after the thriller against Cilic. I'd like to see him win Wimbledon again but his injury happened just at the wrong moment.

Ricker

Will Kerber or Vesnina deny us of an all Williams Wimbledon final...tune in at 11 ;)

Vesnina is playing great but I doubt she will beat Serena...Kerber though,if she returns everything and especially those cross court shots right back with the same shot,has a good chance of defeating Venus...

Venus will have to serve much better than she has in her five matches so far to have any chance against Kerber I think. Kerber doesn't miss much off the ground and is very hard to overpower from the baseline (see Serena in Melbourne) so the match will test Venus' endurance if she can't keep the rallies short. Shvedova and Suarez Navarro were generous with a consistent stream of errors against her, but I doubt Kerber will be today.

Vesnina has a good ground game and serve, good court sense, but if Serena serves well she has no chance.

Edit: Fun quirk of the scheduling: Vesnina (with Makarova) faces Serena (with Venus) in the doubles after the semis are done with, out on Court 2.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Venus winning this Wimbledon would make me incredibly happy, so I hope Vesnina beats Serena then chokes in the final and Halep has one of her helap days.

Dispatch

Ridiculous match...

For the other semi, I'll be rooting for Venus, but think that a Kerber/Williams final would be better for the sport. It would be for both the Wimbledon championship and the number one ranking, right?

LuuKyK

Serena's serve is just ridiculous...

Hopefully Kerber saves this tournament like she did at the AO. I know for sure having Venus at the final would be extremely boring since she would never stand in the way of her sister making history. Lol

miserable

normally i would be thrilled to see Venus in the final again, but seeing as Serena is there you just know it won't be a competitive one. i mean a sister ain't gonna stand in the way of the other who's on the verge of breaking a record

BowieZ

Banned
normally i would be thrilled to see Venus in the final again, but seeing as Serena is there you just know it won't be a competitive one. i mean a sister ain't gonna stand in the way of the other who's on the verge of breaking a record

Venus can't beat Serena anyway.
Exactly. It's impossible for Serena to lose to Venus but Kerber definitely has a chance, so she'd make the final more exciting.

But I'm positive Kerber will beat Venus, anyway.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
considering that both halep and venus are breaking kerber at will on grass, i can't see serena having many problems if she has even a decent day on serve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom