• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB

Okay - I read the manual today and have some questions (I actually get to play next weekend).

First - does the race you pick have any impact on how you are treated in the game, other than your characteristics? For example, are there characters who will dislike orcs and treat you accordingly if you are one?

Second - can you enchant weapons, such as the bow? An example would be firing flaming or poison arrows. I didn't see it mentioned in the manual but may have missed it.

Third - is there any advantage to focusing on a brutal melee fighter, other than combat? I can see how magicians and thiefs may be able to do things (breathe under water, break into places, ect.) that a character who is mostly focused on melee cannot and thus have more freedom to explore and tinker with the world. Are they missing any options that a brutal fighter would be able to do? I'm pretty conflicted on what kind of character to create.

Speevy

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Two questions:
How do I recharge the charges on magical weapons?
What is exactly up with the vampirism? I fed but I still slept a day later and aged/got the negative effects. Can I reverse those while still keeping the vampirism?

The negative effects are part of being a vampire, and you recharge magic weapons by using full soul gems and more talking to people in the mage's guild. There should be one in every guild hall that can do it.

Speevy

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Okay - I read the manual today and have some questions (I actually get to play next weekend).

First - does the race you pick have any impact on how you are treated in the game, other than your characteristics? For example, are there characters who will dislike orcs and treat you accordingly?

They'll say different things to you, but other than the special skills/magic/stat bonus, it has no effect on gameplay.

Second - can you enchant weapons, such as the bow? And example would be firing flaming or poison arrows.

Sure.

Third - is there any advantage to focusing on a brutal melee fighter, other than combat? I can see how magicians and thiefs may be able to do things (breathe under water, break into places, ect.) that a character who is mostly focused on melee cannot and thus have more freedom to explore and tinker with the world. Are they missing any options that a brutal fighter would be able to do? I'm pretty conflicted on what kind of character to create.
[/quote]

Being stronger than the other characters/monsters in the world has its advantages

1) Easy knockdowns and power hits do more damage
2) Wear heavy armor
3) Carry more
4) Get less tired when fighting

Some other stuff. Plus you can use all the cool weapons. But generally you don't want to avoid good weapons or good spells regardless. They work hand in hand.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'll paraphrase a post i read on the elder scrolls forum about the level scaling -- while your thief is learning to pick locks and sneak around and sweet-talk townsfolk, your enemies are all taking roids. a melee fighter can sneak and steal pretty effectively, but a thief won't stand a chance in combat. seems like a lot of thieves in this thread have had to turn the difficulty down; i just started over. there are a number of legitimate character building approaches, but what you absolutely should not do is level up quickly by building major skills you can't use in combat. i really like the stealth stuff, so i'm playing a melee fighter with a high sneak skill. if you want to cast spells at all, choose one of the birthsigns that gives you an mp bonus.

Speevy

Banned
And alchemy is an excellent skill in the game. Very easy to level, very handy in battle/exploration scenarios. For example, whenever I need a health of damage health potion I hunt deer.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Hmm, so the sun damage thing is acquired over time? I guess I didn't realize you'd keep getting different vampire skills/traits as the game time progressed.

Sysgen

Speevy said:
And alchemy is an excellent skill in the game. Very easy to level, very handy in battle/exploration scenarios. For example, whenever I need a health of damage health potion I hunt deer.

Tis pretty easy to get a health damage ingredient without hurtin Bambi. Lay off. 100 hours in and I haven't killed a deer yet. Leave gods innocents alone. :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
belgurdo said:
Argghhh...my PC's still crashing to powerdown or bsod every after every two hours of gametime and I still can't figure it out. It has been doing this for two damn days. Dear God, I hope there's a patch soon...

In other news, I managed to get into a mission where I'm swept out to sea by treasure hunting thieves. Do I get to visit this
Golden Galleon
they're talking about?

What are your full system specs? Are you loaded with the newest video and audio drivers? I've never encountered those bugs, nor have I read of them being a widespread problem. Perhaps we can winkle out what's causing it on your computer...

Mejilan

RevenantKioku said:
Hmm, so the sun damage thing is acquired over time? I guess I didn't realize you'd keep getting different vampire skills/traits as the game time progressed.

To my knowledge, Vampirism works as a disease that gets more pronounced and severe the longer you go without treatment. Treatment, in this case, is BLOOD! After you've just fed, you have the least Vampiric powers, but look normal and can enter towns without being slaughtered on sight. However, if you hold back from feeding, then over time you'll gain new powers, at the expense of resembling the undead more and more, and worsening your sun sensitivity. Feed once more will reset the cycle.

Something like that.

Prine

Banned
You need to hold A when you boot up oblivion

or so i read. Never tried it myself

AND, how to charge soul gems?

Mejilan said:
To my knowledge, Vampirism works as a disease that gets more pronounced and severe the longer you go without treatment. Treatment, in this case, is BLOOD! After you've just fed, you have the least Vampiric powers, but look normal and can enter towns without being slaughtered on sight. However, if you hold back from feeding, then over time you'll gain new powers, at the expense of resembling the undead more and more, and worsening your sun sensitivity. Feed once more will reset the cycle.

Something like that.

Pretty much. Racist bastards in Cyrodill accept Orks and Lion faces but not Vampires. What kind of twisted logic is that.

belgurdo

Banned
Mejilan said:
What are your full system specs? Are you loaded with the newest video and audio drivers? I've never encountered those bugs, nor have I read of them being a widespread problem. Perhaps we can winkle out what's causing it on your computer...

P4 2.66 GHz
Gig of ram
6800 GT card
i'm using those "oblivion drivers" that Nvidia just released, 84.14 I believe

firex

Hmm... I'm operating on a lesser video card, but otherwise equal system (6600 gt) and as I said earlier in the thread, the only crashes I have are from alt-tabbing (which seems to be a known issue EVERYONE has), or when shutting the game down.

So, if it's hardware, suspect #1 is your video card (though maybe it's those drivers - I don't have the version you've listed). But maybe it's something else.

Ecrofirt

How do you level up magical abilities for spells you don't have?

Everything but destruction and restoration are at level 5 for me, and most of the spells I'm seeing require a level 25 or higher.

firex

There are usually some really basic spells you can buy. Look for the weakest effects possible, and buy those spells, and you should be able to use them. For alteration, I think that's "Deflect" or something like that (a 5% shield spell). For illusion, I used Starlight, and for Mysticism you can use a Detect Life spell.

I'm not sure what you'd use for Conjuration, since I have that as a major skill on the character I'm playing now. But you probably could use Summon Skeleton.

Just buy the cheapest spells you can get and spam them, though. It's easy (though really repetitive and boring) if you have 100 willpower, as you'll likely regen the casting cost by the time you refresh it (especially as you go up in skill).

Seth C

firex said:
There are usually some really basic spells you can buy. Look for the weakest effects possible, and buy those spells, and you should be able to use them. For alteration, I think that's "Deflect" or something like that (a 5% shield spell). For illusion, I used Starlight, and for Mysticism you can use a Detect Life spell.

I'm not sure what you'd use for Conjuration, since I have that as a major skill on the character I'm playing now. But you probably could use Summon Skeleton.

Just buy the cheapest spells you can get and spam them, though. It's easy (though really repetitive and boring) if you have 100 willpower, as you'll likely regen the casting cost by the time you refresh it (especially as you go up in skill).

You should also be able to use scrolls no matter what, right? Also, triggering spells (like the pillars that conjure bound weapons) will increase your skill in that area.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
drohne said:
i'll paraphrase a post i read on the elder scrolls forum about the level scaling -- while your thief is learning to pick locks and sneak around and sweet-talk townsfolk, your enemies are all taking roids. a melee fighter can sneak and steal pretty effectively, but a thief won't stand a chance in combat. seems like a lot of thieves in this thread have had to turn the difficulty down; i just started over. there are a number of legitimate character building approaches, but what you absolutely should not do is level up quickly by building major skills you can't use in combat. i really like the stealth stuff, so i'm playing a melee fighter with a high sneak skill. if you want to cast spells at all, choose one of the birthsigns that gives you an mp bonus.

Not entirely true, while my assassin did struggle for few levels once I had the gold to pay for hand to hand or blunt weapon training (non major skills) I was fine. This supplemented my blade skill which naturally progressed, now at level 17 I have 88 strength, I find combat keeps me on my toes but I am very comfortable, and my thief skills are great fun in towns and dungeons.

The Key to being a good fighter/thief IMO is not trying to be great at both from the start, choose a thief kit, join the fighters guild focus on your melee skills then start to embrace your thievery skills as combat gets comfortable.

Developing a competent assassin has been very rewarding, time to go break into another mages guild for some hard earned coin.

belgurdo

Banned
firex said:
Hmm... I'm operating on a lesser video card, but otherwise equal system (6600 gt) and as I said earlier in the thread, the only crashes I have are from alt-tabbing (which seems to be a known issue EVERYONE has), or when shutting the game down.

So, if it's hardware, suspect #1 is your video card (though maybe it's those drivers - I don't have the version you've listed). But maybe it's something else.

Yeah, card might be overheating (this game seems kind of resource hungry, just like Morrowind) or it might be dirty, since my card has a huge fan on it, so large that I couldn't seal up the back of the computer properly because of it. I'll probably shoot it with a can of air later on and see what happens.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
firex said:

IIRC, the "bound dagger" spell is the cheapest conjuaration spell. Use that to power up your conjuration skill.

Seth C

Nerevar said:
IIRC, the "bound dagger" spell is the cheapest conjuaration spell. Use that to power up your conjuration skill.

If you can cast it, that is. I can't. If I try, it immediately locks up my 360.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Confidence Man said:
Can anyone tell me what creature I can get a grand soul from and why Dremora souls won't fit in Azura's Star?

I'm around level 23 or so and I've not yet encountered a standard enemy that is considered grand.

As for the dremora, they are 'humanoid' and so probably require a black soul gem.

GreekWolf

Confidence Man said:
Can anyone tell me what creature I can get a grand soul from and why Dremora souls won't fit in Azura's Star?
To date, I haven't seen any creatures drop a soul gem as loot. You usually find them in treasure chests when exploring dungeons. The best gems ( greater and above ) always seem to be stashed in Oblivion towers.

Also, from what I can determine, Azura's star only captures "grand" souls. I've experimented around with this, and my best method is to summon an Xivilai and soul trap it.

You probably catched a disease. But I've been infected too (by a zombie and a vampire). Trying to figure out to get a cure for the zombie one. :D

TheWolf

Banned
there isn't anything in my active effects thing that says I have a disease. I just noticed my strength and endurance went down a couple points.

also, I did that
invisible town
quest and when I used a scroll it took my luck down like 50 pts permanently.

TheWolf said:
there isn't anything in my active effects thing that says I have a disease. I just noticed my strength and endurance went down a couple points.

also, I did that
invisible town

You can go to a chapel and pray at the altar. It will restore any damaged attributes.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
TheWolf said:

also, I did that
invisible town

Try praying at a temple altar (there is one in every major town)

Also with the invisible town quest you sweet talk the mage he will give you a protection ring that stops your luck from draining.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm playing as an Orc Melee Character

Main skills include Heavy Armor, Blade, Armorer and other STR and END heavy skills, however, my highest skills in the game are Light Armor, Alchemy, Stealth, Security, and nearly all of the Magic skillsI've never had to reduce the difficulty and I've already completed the full Arena and am probably more than a 1/3 done with the Dark Brotherhood ... I chose the birthsign (The Mage, IIRC) that boost your MP without any negative effects and while my MP isn't as high as I'd like...I'm not disliking my character build in the slightest...

The way this works, I'm usually only leveling up from my Armorer, Block, Blade, and Athletics skills which keeps the enemies at a level that I can manage while also keeping the loot at a managable pace...however, the only reason I'm doing this is because my first character (what my current character has effectively become) was a Spellthief who was raped left and right at the unrelenting difficulty of the game...while I may have leveled up from only sneaking and security use, the enemies in the game were advancing, (strength, health, and defense-wise) at a MUCH faster rate than my character, to the point where a potent healing item was required for every single encounter and encounters against multiple foes meant certain death unless I fucked with the difficulty slider. The scaling difficulty should have never been implemented IMO, but it can work...for pure melee characters it works without any tinkering...for mage and thieves you'll need to come up with ways to balance the game for yourself

slayn

needs to show more effort.
my bow wielding assassin character has found the game to be rediculously easy ever since I hit like level 10 or so. I recently gained like 8 levels just from non combat skills to try and up the difficulty some more.

I don't think the problem is so much in what you choose to focus in, but more that trying to focus in more than one thing can screw you.

you basically have 3 types: fighter, mage, assassin/thief.
to build a strong character that won't have problems with the scaling you need to focus on being *one* of those things (at least at first).

The problem probably mainly comes up when you try to be both a thief and a mage, etc because you end up being mediocre at both.

jedimike

belgurdo said:
In other news, I managed to get into a mission where I'm swept out to sea by treasure hunting thieves. Do I get to visit this
Golden Galleon
they're talking about?

The owner of the ship made up the whole story to attract more customers... there is no Golden Galleon :(

LakeEarth

TheWolf said:

also, I did that
invisible town
I had a similar problem earlier. I caught a disease, treated it, but the negative attributes wouldn't go away. Then I caught another disease, and when I treated that one, both went away. Quite odd.

Oh, and when holding A to clear your cache, are you allowed to press start to get to the title screen or do you have to hold A for the whole minute to get to the title?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Anyone know if there is a mod for the PC version of Oblivion to work with the X360 gamepad? I picked up a wired X360 gamepad for the PC and Oblivion does not recognize it correctly. I googled it and all I could find one post saying it would X360 pad support would be added in the 1st patch.

Pellham

Banned
Warnen said:
Anyone know if there is a mod for the PC version of Oblivion to work with the X360 gamepad? I picked up a wired X360 gamepad for the PC and Oblivion does not recognize it correctly. I googled it and all I could find one post saying it would X360 pad support would be added in the 1st patch.

sounds like you answered your own question

Mejilan

belgurdo said:
P4 2.66 GHz
Gig of ram
6800 GT card
i'm using those "oblivion drivers" that Nvidia just released, 84.14 I believe

Are they an official stable release? Or are they beta, like Ati's Oblivion Chuck Patch (which allows HDR + AA at once)?

If they aren't a full release, I'd try uninstalling them fully and reinstalling the latest stable driver update.

DEFINITELY open up your comp and take a large can of compressed air to it. I opened up my rig and installed swapped out my RAM for larger modules a week before Oblivion came out. I used to get overheat warnings and crashes all the time when playing Call of Duty 2 maxed out. Admittedly, I haven't tried CoD 2 since I got the new RAM and Oblivion, but Oblivion is much more intensive, and I've had NO issues. BTW, I de-dusted my comp together with installing the RAM. A full can of compressed air! :D

What about audio drivers? Are they up to date?

Have you been able to isolate when the crashes occur? Say, loading a new area? Indoors or the more intensive forests outdoors? When music changes? Etc.

Stupid question, but have you tried disabling ALL background apps, including anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners before running the game?

belgurdo

Banned
Mejilan said:
Are they an official stable release? Or are they beta, like Ati's Oblivion Chuck Patch (which allows HDR + AA at once)?

If they aren't a full release, I'd try uninstalling them fully and reinstalling the latest stable driver update.

DEFINITELY open up your comp and take a large can of compressed air to it. I opened up my rig and installed swapped out my RAM for larger modules a week before Oblivion came out. I used to get overheat warnings and crashes all the time when playing Call of Duty 2 maxed out. Admittedly, I haven't tried CoD 2 since I got the new RAM and Oblivion, but Oblivion is much more intensive, and I've had NO issues. BTW, I de-dusted my comp together with installing the RAM. A full can of compressed air! :D

What about audio drivers? Are they up to date?

Have you been able to isolate when the crashes occur? Say, loading a new area? Indoors or the more intensive forests outdoors? When music changes? Etc.

Stupid question, but have you tried disabling ALL background apps, including anti-virus and anti-spyware scanners before running the game?

The drivers I was using after I reinstalled was some kind of fan-made thing; probably garbage. I've got official ones in here now. I usually leave the anti-virus stuff on when playing, but I'll turn everything off and see what happens. Then I'll try cleaning.

Mejilan

Let us know. Also, try to mark WHEN the crashes occur to see if when can isolate them as video or audio related.

Morrowind was such a nightmare, to this day it has unresolved memory leak issues that would cause CTDs (crashes to desktop). And the less resources you had to allocate to the game, the sooner it would crash. It was always an eventuality and I HATED it when I used to play the game on my old rig.

I only mention it because Oblivion is like a complete 180. I've played through all of the TES games with low - middle end hardware, for its time. Though this is the first time I can call my computer high end, Oblivion has been nothing but stable. And for an initial Bethsoft release... it's a true feat!

hellfire

Confidence Man said:
Alright, Gloom Wraith and Xivilai, that's what I needed. Thanks.

minotaur lords are also good for this - at level 20+ or so, fight 3 of them in the arena, and you get 3 grand souls.

Top Bottom