• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I just decided to make my Imperial assassin a vampire (hey he is immortal now!) The extra powers are cool but I just hope it doesn’t become a chore.

Mashing

jarosh said:
db quest about adamus philida:

when exactly do i have to kill him so i don't get caught? the only time he's not wearing his armor is when he goes swimming. but his guard is always nearby. so, any ideas?

I don't think you can kill guards without getting a bounty. I've tried everything to kill guards in secret and I ALWAYS get a bounty.

For instance the DB quest where you have to
kill the Draconis family. One of them is a Leyawin guard and everytime, anywhere, I killed her I would always get a bounty. The guid says the best time to do it is at 7am when she's alone on the second floor of the Three Sisters Inn. I killed her there while sneaking and I got a bounty (I can only assume someone hear something).

raYne

jarosh said:
db quest about adamus philida:

when exactly do i have to kill him so i don't get caught? the only time he's not wearing his armor is when he goes swimming. but his guard is always nearby. so, any ideas?
That's where I got him as it's the only chance you'll get, save for waiting on him to head home and go to bed. (sleeping characters change out of their armor before they hit the sack) If you go that route you'll have to break into the house/room and hope the guard isn't there.

When I did it I wasn't in the mood to wait for the latter after following him around for a while. I just waited for the guard to look away and put the arrow straight through his neck (it came out the other side) while he was swimming, dove in grabbed the stuff and then turned invisible under water and calmly walked out of town. :lol

Worst case scenario, just pay the fine if you get caught. Or half the fine..
thieves guild ftw!
Do The Mario said:
I just decided to make my Imperial assassin a vampire (hey he is immortal now!) The extra powers are cool but I just hope it doesn’t become a chore.
Apparently you missed all the vampire talk in this thread... it will! Good luck with that.

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
raYne said:
That's where I got him as it's the only chance you'll get, save for waiting on him to head home and go to bed. (sleeping characters change out of their armor before they hit the sack) If you go that route you'll have to break into the house/room and hope the guard isn't there.

When I did it I wasn't in the mood to wait for the latter after following him around for a while. I just waited for the guard to look away and put the arrow straight through his neck (it came out the other side) while he was swimming, dove in grabbed the stuff and then turned invisible under water and calmly walked out of town. :lol

Worst case scenario, just pay the fine if you get caught. Or half the fine..
thieves guild ftw!

Apparently you missed all the vampire talk in this thread... it will! Good luck with that.

Well I am 80+ hours into my assassin character and I thought it may spice things up a bit, its not hard to sneak into someone’s house and feed.

raYne

I see... I thought the character was new, but you should definitely have the necessary skills to make due after 80 hours.

jarosh

well, it's not working for me. no matter how i kill him, i always have to pay the fine (which is okay with me) but eventually the guards still attack me, which is definitely bizarre. because NO ONE saw me and i PAID the fine! damnit.

GhaleonEB

Dammit, I'm a vampire now. Not sure how it happened, but I had the "dream" when I slept last, and I noticed Vampirism as an active effect. And my guy is fugly. I just fed for the first time, but it didn't change the effect (25) or my appearance.

Gonna have to go digging through the thread to read up on it. Kinda derails my plans but such is life. :lol

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
GhaleonEB said:
Dammit, I'm a vampire now. Not sure how it happened, but I had the "dream" when I slept last, and I noticed Vampirism as an active effect. And my guy is fugly. I just fed for the first time, but it didn't change the effect (25) or my appearance.

Gonna have to go digging through the thread to read up on it. Kinda derails my plans but such is life. :lol

Can't you just load the previous save and hit up the church for healing?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
:lol

I'm using the Signent Stones to Enchant my Daedric Armor with +50 Magicka :D. I've already enchanted my Cuirass, Greaves and Boots which now gives me 350 Magicka. My character is primarily a Warrior (an Imperial) that has max Magicka of 200 (without Fortification) :D

I can now cast Ghostwalk or Spectral Form which makes you invisible. These are good spells to raid Oblivion gates. Just cast the spell and run through and get the Signent Stone. You only have to recast when you open doors or interact with something. Makes closing Oblivion Gates much easier.

GhaleonEB

teh_pwn said:
Can't you just load the previous save and hit up the church for healing?
Not sure when I got the disease, though. I leveled twice in a row because I've been dungeon crawling - I'll have to slog through a few dozen save slots and might lose a good chunk of playtime to go back far enough.

So nah. I'll just accept my fate and deal with it. Still trying to stay true to the game and not work my way around stuff like that (I still walk everywhere - I spent most of today just walking back to Imperial City).

GhaleonEB

Okay, I just spent 20 minutes searching the thread. I give up.

What does being a vampire entail? How do I cure it?

Here's what I know from my searches:

*It takes 3 days from contracting the disease for onset. I'm apparantly past that.

*You must feed on sleeping people to prevent from becoming too ugly/repulsive.

*The sun does more and more damage to you as go

*Bloodgrass is involved in the cure

That's all I know. Is all that correct? Are there any BENEFITS to being a vampire? Did I miss anything? How do I cure it?

Sorry to repeat these questions, there we sooooo many hits when I searched that I gave up.

aaaaa0

GhaleonEB said:
Are there any BENEFITS to being a vampire?

You get +5 bonus to some of your attributes and skills and some new powers.

This bonus increases the more days you don't feed, but each day you don't feed, you turn more into a monster, which means people won't talk to you, and the sun hurts you more.

Okay, I lost my horse. I went into a dungeon, and came out through a trap door in the forest. I didn't notice my horse didn't follow when I quick-traveled afterwards until just now. Does the horse eventually return to the stable in the city where you own a home, or am I going to have to backtrack through two hours of playtime to find it?

tegdf

Eel O'Brian said:
Okay, I lost my horse. I went into a dungeon, and came out through a trap door in the forest. I didn't notice my horse didn't follow when I quick-traveled afterwards until just now. Does the horse eventually return to the stable in the city where you own a home, or am I going to have to backtrack through two hours of playtime to find it?

just buy a new one

No, this is
Shadowmere, the horse you get during the Dark Brotherhood quest line.
I think I'll look for a while longer, and if I don't find it I think I'm going to take a long break from this game.

GhaleonEB

Eel O'Brian said:
My experience with horses:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3197439&postcount=6786

Brannon

So after lockpicking my way across Cyrodiil, I realize that not only is it too easy, but that there is no risk or tension in it. Sure, you can be surrounded by 4 or 5 people randomly looking your way, but once your Sneaking Eye goes dim, all you gotta do is go into lockpick mode and you are in there indefinitely with no risk to you, able to pick the lock forever (or as long as you have lockpicks) while time freezes around you. And when you do get the lock picked, you automatically go inside, preventing anyone behind you from ever being able to see you enter illegally (sneak mode remember). So I propose the following...

No automatic entry after a successful lockpicking session
It's just a bad idea to barge without further preparation. Maybe you want to come out of sneak mode before entering or you want to go into sneak mode before entering or you want to cast some protective spells on yourself or drink some potions after you succeed because you may not be able to open the door and now you just wasted what was probably a once-a-day power on a failed venture.

Shaky novice hands
If you're a rookie, you aren't going to have the nerves of steel or stamina required to finesse an average to very hard lock for long. Depending on the lock level and your security level, your hands should be shaking, pausing when you don't want to pause, suddenly twitching up out of nervousness and causing one or more pins to crash down, not responding to your button press when you press it. Each of these conditions would have a 10-50% chance of happening depending on your security level against the lock level. As you go up in level you gain more nerves and skill and are able defeat the rookie tics and twitches.

Clogged locks (highly optional)
If you keep breaking your lockpicks in the lock, it's going to fill up and at some point you won't be able to put anymore lockpicks in there, so you'll have to wait until the next day or 24 hours when the locks have been repaired and emptied of broken lockpicks.

NPC sound awareness
Sure you can be completely invisible, but they're going to have to be able to hear you pick at the lock, and especially be able to hear when you make the pins crash. To simulate this, any invisibility spell would automatically be limited to 70% at its highest effectiveness while lockpicking, no matter how good your spellcasting or stealth gear is. Sound isn't invisible. Okay maybe it is but you know what I mean.

Real-time lockpicking
The biggest one and probably the hardest one to do, also connected to NPC sound awareness. The lockpicking minigame could be in an inset window while your character's view is shifting from left to right watching for guards. After the lock is picked, there is a 3-5 second danger period when anybody could look at you standing by the door and maybe realize that something is amiss and alert the guards, unless you decide to enter the abode post-haste. EDIT: Also, if you see somebody approaching, you can abort the attempt, but there is still the danger period (suspicious movement near a secured container or point of entry).

Real-time chest/body searching
Self-explanatory. If a person sees you searching a chest or body that isn't in your ownership or a free-for-all container, they'll yell thief or stop you or attack you or whatever. The time freeze just takes away all the tension.

With these implemented, becoming a master thief would be more challenging and rewarding, and even owning the Skeleton Key would not guarantee success; 'a master item in the hands of a novice will eventually find its way into the hands of a master', and all that. Maybe these can be implemented via a mod, but the real-time parts seem ingrained in the code, so I get on my knees to Bethesda and say PLEASE.

You know you wanna.

(this is a free idea and anyone may take possession of it and use it as they see fit, no restrictions, now GO FORTH or something)

firex

I really do wish the stealth was a bit more fleshed out. But that's just because I'm spoiled by Thief and Oblivion's art style reminds me a lot of the Thief series (though it's less gloomy, even with the Oblivion gates). But I agree that lockpicking is way too easy... and on the same token it's pointless unless you want agility upgrades or get the
skeleton key.
You can just get alteration to 100 (really, really easy to do, even if you aren't magic specialized, the basic protect spell skills up super fast and goes down to single digit magicka cost quickly) and then craft an "open very hard lock" spell with arcane university access. Sneaking, at least with 100 sneak, is way too arbitrary. Sometimes it's crazily overpowered (shoot someone in the back from about as far away as you can see them, and you can likely fire off another arrow or 2 before they detect you for even more sneak bonuses) and sometimes it's worthless (get in a sneak attack and run and hide behind several different pieces of architecture, only to remain permanently spotted). But overall, I like playing my assassin type more than my mage.

Oh, and for the guy with his horse problem:
I believe if you "lose" Shadowmere you can get it back by going to the fort where you found it. I'm really not sure though, cause I haven't gotten him yet... but I read it in the thread earlier.

belgurdo

Banned
^ and of course, don't buy the regular horses. Just get your invisibility up and cast it on yourself, and you can steal the damn things unchallenged right off the farm.

Has anyone played around with 100% chameleon spells or enchantments yet? It breaks the game. Nothing will attack you or fight back because they don't know you're there (outside of a random psychic guard or two), you can pickpocket people right in their goddamned faces and they won't flinch, and you can waltz through dungeons unchallenged...I feel dirty for testing it out.

credit to the sa goons for where I got this idea

firex

wow, I haven't been able to get that to happen to me! I made a 100% chameleon spell and I've still been spotted after the initial surprise attack.

ah wait, I just realized, it's probably because I used it on a character wearing armor, so it was only 95% chameleon. I'm guessing you have to be unarmored for it? still, after hearing how it can break the game, that's one area I'm not going to mess with... I'll just use illusion for night eye, charm and frenzy spells.

BlueTsunami

belgurdo said:
Has anyone played around with 100% chameleon spells or enchantments yet? It breaks the game. Nothing will attack you or fight back because they don't know you're there (outside of a random psychic guard or two), you can pickpocket people right in their goddamned faces and they won't flinch, and you can waltz through dungeons unchallenged...I feel dirty for testing it out

:lol

I was actually thinking about making a 100% Chameleon Daedric Set but opted for a Magicka Set instead. But yeah, Chameleon has the added benefit (opposed to Invisibilty) of not going away when an action is taken.

It sounds like fun though. Definately something you would experiment with when theres nothing else to do.

belgurdo

Banned
firex said:
wow, I haven't been able to get that to happen to me! I made a 100% chameleon spell and I've still been spotted after the initial surprise attack.

ah wait, I just realized, it's probably because I used it on a character wearing armor, so it was only 95% chameleon. I'm guessing you have to be unarmored for it? still, after hearing how it can break the game, that's one area I'm not going to mess with... I'll just use illusion for night eye, charm and frenzy spells.

I simply enchanted a full set of town guard armor to do this (you need five pieces and five grand or black soul gems with grand-level charges in them), so as long as you have five wearable items to try it on it'll work

firex

ah, enchants. that makes sense... casting a 100% chameleon spell itself doesn't break it that bad. you can still pretty much run around doing anything (especially if you have 75+ sneak) but you'll get spotted the instant you attack, to the point that it's actually really annoying and feels dumb (but it's a good alternative to the perma-invisibility).

I'll probably try that on one of the different sets of colored glass armor I'm going to buy.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Handful of questions here:

1) any bonuses for completing a full armour set or say wearing completely full light armour? I just tend to go for whatever has the best stat at my current point, but if I got some kind of boost for having say a full elven set I wouldn't break it up when I found glass boots for example.

2) how do I expand my spellmaking and item enchantment abilities or are they set in stone? Do I have to buy new spells and then I can use them in item enchantment? I've skimped on spell buying so far!

3) can I improve my item enchantment skills? i.e. I can put Feather 50 on an item with a grand soul gem, can this ever be improved in anyway? If I train up a certain attribute can I make a feather 60?

4) about training spells. Do more powerful spells raise your level more than smaller spells? I have a heal minor wounds which raises my level the smallest smallest amount and it's taking forever to improve my restoration level. My heal major wounds doesnt seem more effective and it drains my magicka dry after like 5 casts. Is spamming weaker spells just as effective at raising your level as more powerful versions?

Thanks guys.

Good to see GAF is up and running like normal again this morning after running into a Wii bit of a problem yesterday! ;)

I found an awesome ring last night while closing one of the Oblivion Gates. I know have 100% immunity to Poison, Disease, and Paralysis. That should come in handy when coupled with some items I have that give me near 100% spell absorption and reflection.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Good to see GAF is up and running like normal again this morning after running into a Wii bit of a problem yesterday! ;)

I found an awesome ring last night while closing one of the Oblivion Gates. I know have 100% immunity to Poison, Disease, and Paralysis. That should come in handy when coupled with some items I have that give me near 100% spell absorption and reflection.
Yeah, I tried on and off for a few hours and couldn't be bothered anymore. A few times it'd mostly go through after leaving it to load for 10+ minutes, but then you'd need the same to access a single post. Man, E3 is gonna rock! [/sarcasm]

Coincidentally, I just found that ring myself in a set of ruins near Chorrol. I sold off all related potions soon after.

raYne said:
Yeah, I tried on and off for a few hours and couldn't be bothered anymore. A few times it'd mostly go through after leaving it to load for 10+ minutes, but then you'd need the same to access a single post. Man, E3 is gonna rock! [/sarcasm]

Coincidentally, I just found that ring myself in a set of ruins near Chorrol. I sold off all related potions soon after.

Yeah, E3 is going to bring the servers to their knees, unless the promised upgrades are in place and working before then. I have my doubts. E3 is going to be insane this year.

Yep, I'm unloading all those potions as well. It's amazing how much they weigh when you are carrying a bunch of potions around. :)

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
kaizoku said:
Handful of questions here:

1) any bonuses for completing a full armour set or say wearing completely full light armour? I just tend to go for whatever has the best stat at my current point, but if I got some kind of boost for having say a full elven set I wouldn't break it up when I found glass boots for example.

There's no tangible bonus, so don't really worry about it. I wouldn't recommend mixing and matching light and heavy armor, because that will hinder your skill progress and one part of your armor set will probably stay weaker, but in general it's best to just wear the best armor you can find.

2) how do I expand my spellmaking and item enchantment abilities or are they set in stone? Do I have to buy new spells and then I can use them in item enchantment? I've skimped on spell buying so far!

You can only do that in the arcane university, and if it works like Morrowind you must own at least 1 spell with the desired effect that you wish to enchant with. It might not, but I couldn't tell you because I haven't finished the mages guild quest line yet.

3) can I improve my item enchantment skills? i.e. I can put Feather 50 on an item with a grand soul gem, can this ever be improved in anyway? If I train up a certain attribute can I make a feather 60?

Once you enchant an item, its enchantment is "locked-in", so you can't enchant anymore. You'd need to find a new weapon/armor to enchant a new effect. I'm pretty sure the magnitude of effect you can enchant an item with is determined only by the gem, as they did away with the "enchant" skill from Morrowind in this game as well, so I don't think it's a major problem.

4) about training spells. Do more powerful spells raise your level more than smaller spells? I have a heal minor wounds which raises my level the smallest smallest amount and it's taking forever to improve my restoration level. My heal major wounds doesnt seem more effective and it drains my magicka dry after like 5 casts. Is spamming weaker spells just as effective at raising your level as more powerful versions?

From my experience, casting more expensive spells does not make you level faster. Your best bet to increase a skill is to find the cheapest spell and cast it over and over again. Restoration is a notoriously slow-increasing skill, so I can't really tell you a better way to make it go up, unfortunately.

raYne

Anyone know the exact numerical level armorer you have to be to be able to repair enchanted armor (light if that matters)?

All my standard clothing are custom enchantments and since I can't repair 'em myself I'm running around in some temp armor, getting beat up on purpose, just so that I can fix it to up my skills. :/

..and yes, I dedicate all my training between leveling to armory to help speed up the process.

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Yep, I'm unloading all those potions as well. It's amazing how much they weigh when you are carrying a bunch of potions around. :)
Indeed. You really don't think that a "few" .2-.5 weighted potions take up that much room 'till you sell them off.

I think I ended up dropping like 50 lbs, resulting in a weight status of something like 117/560. I should go crazy and put on the Grey Cowl and my "Strength Gauntlets" I have and see what happens. :lol

Nerevar

raYne said:
Anyone know the exact numerical level armorer you have to be to be able to repair enchanted armor (light if that matters)?

50. You have to be a journeyman to repair enchanted items, of any type.

BlueTsunami

Fuck, i've been looking for a base Daedric (no enchantments). It has to be the single most hardest piece of armor to find. I run into bandits with any other type of Daedric stuff but no helmets..nowhere...

:(

jet1911 said:
Someone know how to open the door in the Frostfire Cave?

Not sure about that cave in particular, but any time I've come across a door in a cave that I couldn't open, it's usually been because it's related to a quest. That happened to me twice. Found doors I couldn't open, later found a quest that gave me the right key.

Mashing

jet1911 said:
Someone know how to open the door in the Frostfire Cave?

You need Refined Frost Sales. If you start the Tears of Garridian side quest youc an eventually get someone from the Alchemist in the Arcane University--she's in the public area of the university most often

LakeEarth

Is there a way to dis-enchant something? I put NightEye on my Daedric Helmet and I want to change it to Night Eye.

Oh, and I just started the Thieves Guild after 60 hours of play. Its pretty amazing how I've passed by all these regions and towns a hundred times yet a whole new side of these places have been shown to me. All these "useless NPCs" weren't so useless afterall.

belgurdo

Banned
Nerevar said:
From my experience, casting more expensive spells does not make you level faster. Your best bet to increase a skill is to find the cheapest spell and cast it over and over again. Restoration is a notoriously slow-increasing skill, so I can't really tell you a better way to make it go up, unfortunately.

Easiest way to raise restoration I've found is to heal other people. I think they call it "convalescence" in the game and you can get the spells out of churches, but the MP cost is a bit high early on

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
thanks nerevar. good info there.

is there a way to get all the houses without paying? the skingrad house for example, i read in here you can nab the deed from someplace if the ogre dies...

kaizoku said:
thanks nerevar. good info there.

is there a way to get all the houses without paying? the skingrad house for example, i read in here you can nab the deed from someplace if the ogre dies...

The deed is in his room, and you can get the key off his body, although I got it by actually paying for it. I'm to the point where I have more money than god in the game. Over 100k, so I'm not afraid to throw a little of it around. (The beggars love me! :)) I own that house, and have it completely furnished.

belgurdo

Banned
Is there a way for me to get semi-permanent "party members" other than the arena fan and the db followers? I cast charm and rally on people but they don't follow me or fight on my behalf

BlueTsunami

:O

7000th POST BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

040425sports_fans.jpg

raYne

belgurdo said:
Is there a way for me to get semi-permanent "party members" other than the arena fan and the db followers? I cast charm and rally on people but they don't follow me or fight on my behalf
There are two members of the Fighters Guild you can "recruit" as well after completing it. Maybe more if you let everyone live after the related cave quest (you'll know it when you see it).

Anyway, NPC's only fight for you if your personality is high enough that they "like" you before you do anything (persuasion etc.). Guards fight for you reguardless... and no, you can't have random people follow you around.

Nerevar said:
50. You have to be a journeyman to repair enchanted items, of any type.
Yeah, I knew about the Journeyman level, just needed the actual value.. Thanks!

Nerevar

raYne said:
There are two members of the Fighters Guild you can "recruit" as well after completing it. Maybe more if you let everyone live after the related cave quest (you'll know it when you see it).

You can also recruit mages guild members as well when you're archmage, IIRC.

Nerevar

raYne said:
Oh yeah? I never noticed those... Specific Guild house? Arcane University?

arcane university I think. A couple randoms (apprentices?) have the "follow me" option, and if you select it they'll travel with you and help you fight. I think you can only have 1 follower at a time though.

raYne

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Sweet! I haven't seen this either, but I'm going to keep my eyes peeled. Who are the fighters guild npc's you can recruit?
The surviving Guildmembers from that cave quest where you had to go assist/save them. I forgot the actual name of the quest, but the party will consist of a male Orc in full armor, a female Redguard Archer... and someone else. I forgot who the last guy was since he didn't make it in my game. :lol

They'll never be inside a Guild itself, but you'll always find them hanging out outside a castle.

raYne said:
The surviving Guildmembers from that cave quest where you had to go assist/save them. I forgot the actual name of the quest, but the party will consist of a male Orc in full armor, a female Redguard Archer... and someone else. I forgot who the last guy was since he didn't make it in my game. :lol

They'll never be inside a Guild itself, but you'll always find them hanging out outside a castle.

Is that the quest where you deliver the weapons?

Top Bottom