• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

I've barely done any training at all, and it hasn't effected how difficult it has bee to take down creatures. The things I have trained in are also fairly obscure skills that I started really low in, such as Mercantile or Armorer.

Razoric

Banned
I just did the Brotherhood mission where I had to kill the guy while he was sitting underneith that animal fixture between 8 and 11. Holy shit how does this game combine so many elements of other games. Now I'm doing hits on people?? This is fucking crazy! :lol I can't believe how much stuff this game has.

Richiban

OK, seriously, this pissed me right off.

I'm looking to buy a house in Skingrad, so they told me to go talk to the Orc to get it.

Sure enought, I follow the markers to go find him and he's laying dead in the middle of the field outside the castle.

So....Now what?

GhaleonEB

PhatSaqs said:
Damn I must be goin mad slow then. I'm level 11 and already at 30 hours I walk everywhere :lol
You're not alone. I'm level 12 with 36 hours in. I walk everywhere too. :)

I'm in no hurry to blow through the game.

Richiban said:
OK, seriously, this pissed me right off.

I'm looking to buy a house in Skingrad, so they told me to go talk to the Orc to get it.

Sure enought, I follow the markers to go find him and he's laying dead in the middle of the field outside the castle.

So....Now what?

Just a guess -
search his body for keys and the deed to the house

Richiban

Eel O'Brian said:
Just a guess -
search his body for keys and the deed to the house

I searched his body and got a key to the castle, but nothing else was on him. I just drug him around for a bit, and now his body has disappeared....Awesome. No big deal, I suppose. I thought that quest specific characters couldn't die, but evidently not.

Richiban said:
I searched his body and got a key to the castle, but nothing else was on him. I just drug him around for a bit, and now his body has disappeared....Awesome. No big deal, I suppose. I thought that quest specific characters couldn't die, but evidently not.

The key is for his room where the deed is. Good luck.

I walk most places too, as part of the pure joy of the Elder Scrolls games for me is the exploration, but I do use fast travel when I'm pressed for playing time or when I'm running errands such as selling crap or going back to my house to store stuff. I don't know how many caves/ruines/forts I've come across only to think, I have to come back here later when I'm not doing a quest. :)

Ruas

Banned
spoilers about vampirism

so i spend hours doing the vampirism cure quest only for it to be bugged at the end... i completed all steps and now she only says that it takes time, so i waited 3 days and nothing. i finished the main quest and was looking forward about doing a bunch of sidequests but not as a vampire...what a stupid bug. sigh i guess ill start a new character.luckly i only spend 22hrs on my first playthrough.

Seth C

shibbs said:
Quick question:

If you would have to choose, Dragon quest VIII or Oblivion?

I'd definitely choose Oblivion over Dragon Quest. I enjoyed both quite a bit, but by the end of DQ8 it really started to just drag on and on. I was griding through it just to hurry up and finish the game. That never happened for me with Oblivion.

Brannon

Cool beans, got a Radeon x1300 and 1GB of DDR3200 RAM with rebates. Would this significantly improve performance from a RAdeon 9600SE and 512 of DDR400 RAM? As in, will it no longer stutter as much when more than two or three people are in my view?

firex said:
When I did that quest, I didn't even have to clear out the cave.
Approach the altar outside the actual cave late at night, and listen in on the conversation the necros are having. I believe they leave a scroll on the altar that you can take... or maybe you just kill them after they're done talking and loot it.

Note: You probably don't have to listen in, I just did it because I wanted to hear what they were discussing.

Hey man I waited from 8 pm till 7 am and no one showed up. Did I screw something up?

GhaleonEB

DJ Brannon said:
Cool beans, got a Radeon x1300 and 1GB of DDR3200 RAM with rebates. Would this significantly improve performance from a RAdeon 9600SE and 512 of DDR400 RAM? As in, will it no longer stutter as much when more than two or three people are in my view?
I can't answer your question, but posts like this are why I'm a console gamer. Too...complicated.

Zensetsu

GreenNight said:
Hey man I waited from 8 pm till 7 am and no one showed up. Did I screw something up?
You have to do it on a certain night of the week. I've posted this two or three times allready , if people would just read the thread or the info thats IN THE GAME... :X :lol

Anyway, here's the scoop:
You have to do it on a certain night of the week. One of the documents that leads up to the quest talks about a sign in the night skies on a certain day of the week. (It doesn't specify which) What I did was find a position above the cave on a big rock, and just used the wait function, checking the altar every night at around 12:00. After about three days I saw a pillar of pinkish light coming out of the sky and shining on the altar - then some necromancers came out of the cave and performed a ritual. At which point my clumsy mage, creeping close to try an hear them made a sound, and they attacked me. So i killed them, and on one of the corpses is a note detailing the ritual.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Also about making Dark Soul Gems. I've read that you can essentialy make more than one Dark Soul Gem in one sitting. You just replace the Dark Soul Gem you make with another Grand Soul Gem, rinse and repeat, doing the process over again. You should be able to make as many Dark Soul Gems as you have Grand Soul Gems.

Zensetsu

GreenNight said:
Thanks alot man. This helped greatly. As for reading the thread, well I think its time for a new thread :) Hard to read 150 pages
Yeah, no worries. I love some of the more complex quests where you have to mannage the time of day \ think about how you are going to accomplish the task...rather than just following the compass and killing whatever you find. Thats why the dark brotherhood and a few of the thieves guild quests are so much fun (for me anyway).

xabre

Banned
Where's this patch? I notice they're pretty quick in getting out the contentless content that that actually earns them more money though.

belgurdo

Banned
xabre said:
Where's this patch? I notice they're pretty quick in getting out the contentless content that that actually earns them more money though.

It'll probably be bundled in with the $10 Mace of Love

Vark

GhaleonEB said:
What do poisons do? (as in, how do I use them?)

just select a poison and it'll ask if you want to use it. Say yes, and it will poison whatever weapon you have equipped. You can't poison your hands. If you have a bow and arrow it'll poison your next shot with the bow.

They only work for one strike, but they're normally ridiculously effective.

Vark

xabre said:

I'm sorry, i couldn't make out what you said over the thundering engine of my Viper. I was also swimming around in my vault of money earlier and I think I have some diamonds stuck in my ears.

:p

Speevy

Banned
Vark said:
I'm sorry, i couldn't make out what you said over the thundering engine of my Viper. I was also swimming around in my vault of money earlier and I think I have some diamonds stuck in my ears.

:lol

xabre

Banned
Vark said:

Now this I believe :p

GhaleonEB

Okay - I just bought Benirus Manor in Anvil. Three questions (it's my first house).

1) Is it okay to leave stuff in cabinets for storage?

2) Is there a way to clean up the dump?

3)
How do I open the Sealed Portal in the basement?

Thanks.

I searched the thread for Benirus and didn't get a hit.

Brannon

xabre said:
Now this I believe :p

quiterlyhat.jpg

I kid.

So before my slight upgrade I was all 'wow this game looks awesome'.
After my upgrade I spiritually shat some kittens. And I also realized I could use my 512 stick of RAM with my gig of RAM with no problems, sweetness. Definitely time to start over. After getting over the everything-old-is-new-again phase I decided to see what that pirate ship was about. I didn't want to fight the pirates because they're cool and shit, then I discovered another way to get inside the ship, nicely convenient for a curious cat such as I.

After plundering the booty (and the One Plant To Rule Them All) I realized that maybe I should find the captain of this ship and see what's up. So that's my self-made quest, unless the captain doesn't exist, which would suck seeing as how I have his treasure.

Also after installing the Obscuro Oblivion Overhaul, I headed to Vilverin to kick some bandit ass and claim those sweet magical Skittles known as Welkynd Stones, but them bandits made me taste the rainbow something fierce. Which was embarrassing; I own YOU, not the other way around. Although now when the bandits say "I hope you know, I'm just holding back", they could actually mean it; they get as liberal as me with their power strikes.

More adventures ahead. 9600SE, you had a good run, but you were just holding me back baby.

GhaleonEB said:
I want my 5,000 gold back. :(

I got 2 quests down the chain from this, caught up with the shiester who did this, but now I have to "convince" him to come back and ghostbust the place. Chatting didn't work, (he seems immune from sweet-talkin'), so I figure it's in the house somewhere to convince him. /shrug.

Uncle

SatelliteOfLove said:

I got 2 quests down the chain from this, caught up with the shiester who did this, but now I have to "convince" him to come back and ghostbust the place. Chatting didn't work, (he seems immune from sweet-talkin'), so I figure it's in the house somewhere to convince him. /shrug.

You have to take the journal to him. It's in a pond of glowing goo in the manor.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Are there Master level alchemist tools in the game? I've only run into Expert. I have all 4 Expert. I want the Masters if they exist.

BlueTsunami

Dr_Cogent said:
Are there Master level alchemist tools in the game? I've only run into Expert. I have all 4 Expert. I want the Masters if they exist.

I've ran into Masters in random caves and forts (I think I have a Master Calcinator and Motor & Pestle). Just keep leveling up and dungeon crawling, you should run into one eventualy

Finally finished up the Fighter's Guild Quests last night. They were pretty mundane for the most part, but as others have said, that last one is the best. I guess I'll have a steady income now due to becoming head of guild. How much does this typically bring in a month, and has anyone gotten any good items that the other guild members find?

Uncle

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Finally finished up the Fighter's Guild Quests last night. They were pretty mundane for the most part, but as others have said, that last one is the best. I guess I'll have a steady income now due to becoming head of guild. How much does this typically bring in a month, and has anyone gotten any good items that the other guild members find?

Haha. I forgot all about that. :lol Now I have to go and check my monies and toys.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I've ran into Masters in random caves and forts (I think I have a Master Calcinator and Motor & Pestle). Just keep leveling up and dungeon crawling, you should run into one eventualy

I'm like level 35 now and a Master Alchemist. Do you think I still have to level up?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Vark said:

Live picture of Vark at home right now:

dtopen5.jpg

BlueTsunami

Dr_Cogent said:
I'm like level 35 now and a Master Alchemist. Do you think I still have to level up?

Hmmm that actually seems good enough. I guess just keep dungeon crawling. I would look in caves or forts that hold necromancers. They seem to have these type of equipment

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
yeah be on the look out for ruins that have been taken over by necromancers, thats where i found some Master stuff.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I just figured out what poisons did last night. Adds a whole other awesome aspect to the game for me as a dedicated Marksman. Sneak poison arrows + 3 X damage FTW :D.

PhatSaqs said:
I just figured out what poisons did last night. Adds a whole other awesome aspect to the game for me as a dedicated Marksman. Sneak poison arrows + 3 X damage FTW :D.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Are their poisons you can find or is there a way to coat your arrows with potion contents?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
equip a bow, select a poison (green vial) et voila, your next shot is poisoned, works with whatever weapon you are currently wielding.

I haven't created my own poisons yet, I've only used the ones I've found, but if you have a decent Alchemy skill level, you should be able to create your own. It helps alot, especially on arrows, and when used in conjunction with the sneak attack.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, what's the deal with that? Are their poisons you can find or is there a way to coat your arrows with potion contents?
You can create posions via Alchemy as well as some you can find. When you select one from the menu you're asked if you if you want to add the posion to your next bow shot. You'll see a little green drop indicator on the HUD next to your weapon.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Nerevar said:
Live picture of Vark at home right now:

dtopen5.jpg

Heheh. From everything I have heard and read, you have to be high up on the chain to be making big bucks in game development. Programmers and artists in general make decent money - but I don't think it's a highly lucrative job.

I can't comment on Vark's actual case though.

On the subject of poisons:

I am damn near unstoppable against beings that are susceptable to poisons. I can take down the freakin guards quickly with them even. I just poison my weapon and strike over and over. Damage health poison used over and over again can take down a foe very quickly. My potions are pretty killer too since I am a Master Alchemist with a high intelligence and all Expert equipment.

Now if I could only find some Master Alchemy equipment!

Okay, I just started really advancing on the main quest and I have a question. On the part where
I'm supposed to meet the leader of the Mythic Dawn in the sewers, is there any way that i we can do it without him knowing there's both of us there? because i've tried every way and he always screams "i told you to come alone!" and he kicks my ass every time! is there something i'm supposed to do?? because everything leading up to this has been pieeeeeeee.
help.

Top Bottom