• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

PhatSaqs said:
You can create posions via Alchemy as well as some you can find. When you select one from the menu you're asked if you if you want to add the posion to your next bow shot. You'll see a little green drop indicator on the HUD next to your weapon.

Hmm...I'll take a closer look next time. I think maybe I was assuming that I would actually drink those potions if I clicked (which is a UI issue I have with the series, I mean, it lets you eat stuff that very clearly has bad effects, such as the poison apple)..

Dr_Cogent said:
Now if I could only find some Master Alchemy equipment!

What level are you? Even though I didn't have a clue about poisons, I'd say half my alchemy gear is master grade? They've been popping up more frequently. What I'd suggest is just hitting every necromancer lair you can. I just started walking from the southmost city, north through the woods, hit about a half dozen places. Could be level related I suppose (I'm lv21). Good luck

GhaleonEB

Can someone explain what the four different alchemest tools do? I use them randomly, not sure which does what. I'd like to start mixing poisons.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
GhaleonEB said:
Can someone explain what the four different alchemest tools do? I use them randomly, not sure which does what. I'd like to start mixing poisons.

The way I understand it, is that, they don't individualy do things that are unique but the more alchemic tools you add the better grade of potion you can create (though you NEED to have a Motar&Pestle no matter what). So you can create stuff with just a Motar and Pestle but by using a Calcinator or the other tools, you will be making better grade potions.

check the manual entry on alchemy.

I dont actually have it with me tho, but I'll have a stab at it.
I think the calcinator enhances all effects, the retort enhances the positive effects only. Something like that.

I think the grade of the mortar and pestle determines the length/strength of the effects.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
glimmerman said:

I think the calcinator enhances all effects, the retort enhances the positive effects only. Something like that.

I think the grade of the mortar and pestle determines the length/strength of the effects.

Holy crap. I did not know this. Its more detailed than I thought :D

GhaleonEB

glimmerman said:

Thank you! I thought I'd read the manual end-end, but I skipped those pages some how (page 36 covers magic items, which I skipped as well, they must have stuck together).

Mortar & Pestle: Mixes a potion or poison, and determines the initial potion or poison strength.

Retort: Increases the magnitude and duration of all positive effects in a potion (does not affect poisons).

Alembic: Decreases the magnitude and duration of all negative effects in a potion (does not affect poisons).

Calcinator: ncreases the magnitude and duration of all effects in a potion or poison.

Another question: There's tons of items that do nothing apparantly. Do things like parchament, quill pens, folded cloth, scythes, shovels etc. ever have a use, or are they just there for realism?

LakeEarth

GhaleonEB said:
Another question: There's tons of items that do nothing apparantly. Do things like parchament, quill pens, folded cloth, scythes, shovels etc. ever have a use, or are they just there for realism?
They seem to be there for the NPCs to use. I remember being suprised seeing Orryn of the fighters guild painting a picture of a pony once.

Speaking of which, its been a month since I gave him orders to focus on recruiting, and he said that would lead to better items being brought by recruits. How exactly do I cash in on that?

LakeEarth said:
They seem to be there for the NPCs to use. I remember being suprised seeing Orryn of the fighters guild painting a picture of a pony once.

Speaking of which, its been a month since I gave him orders to focus on recruiting, and he said that would lead to better items being brought by recruits. How exactly do I cash in on that?

You have to go back to the Guild House and get them out of chest that is in the Guild Leader's room. I haven't done it yet, but I just finished up the last Fighter's Guild Quest last night, and, as I posted earlier, was wondering how much cash I could expect to find in that chest, and if anyone had gotten any good items.

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
Okay, I just started really advancing on the main quest and I have a question. On the part where
I'm supposed to meet the leader of the Mythic Dawn in the sewers, is there any way that i we can do it without him knowing there's both of us there? because i've tried every way and he always screams "i told you to come alone!" and he kicks my ass every time! is there something i'm supposed to do?? because everything leading up to this has been pieeeeeeee.
help.
can someone help? please =(

raYne

SupaFlySoccerMom said:
Uh.. you're supposed to kill him.

..and no, I don't think there's a way to stop him from spotting you. I killed him on my first try, but I was at the top of the stairs above the meeting, crouching, in the shadows AND was using 3rd person at the time so I could see over the edge without being seen and was still spotted.

The only way one could do better than all of that is with an invisibility spell. I'm sure he would've seen through it somehow as well.

gblues

Banned
SupaFlySoccerMom said:

Pretty sure the answer is "No." Come prepared and kick his ass. Heck, you can attack him first rather than waiting for the scene to play out.

Nathan

LakeEarth

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You have to go back to the Guild House and get them out of chest that is in the Guild Leader's room. I haven't done it yet, but I just finished up the last Fighter's Guild Quest last night, and, as I posted earlier, was wondering how much cash I could expect to find in that chest, and if anyone had gotten any good items.
Ahh...so that shitty staff WAS my reward. :lol

GhaleonEB said:
I want my 5,000 gold back. :(
Make sure you take out any items you put into the cabinets before 'beating' the mission. All your stuff will disappear in certain cabinets in that house.

God I'm getting pissed off with this editor. Does anyone else use it? I built a dungeon, NPCs, items, an Inn, and a couple other locations, and now it comes time to actually make the quest work with dialogue and such and it's like hitting a brick wall. Just to get the simplest things working seems insanely complicated. No wonder most of the new mod content is just tweaks and new houses for the player. :/

mxz

raYne said:
Uh.. you're supposed to kill him.

..and no, I don't think there's a way to stop him from spotting you. I killed him on my first try, but I was at the top of the stairs above the meeting, crouching, in the shadows AND was using 3rd person at the time so I could see over the edge without being seen and was still spotted.

The only way one could do better than all of that is with an invisibility spell. I'm sure he would've seen through it somehow as well.

Don't know - I was sitting up on the pathway above the meeting spot for quite some time and listened to their conversation. After a while he jumped up and started to punch my associate, after which I immediately jumped down and started swinging swords. And yes, the only possible advice is - go prepared.

Leonsito

It's totally compatible being in the Dark Brotherhood and in the Fighter's/Mague's guilds? I mean, compatible quests and all of that.

Miroslav

I have recently started playing oblivion and I am mainly sidequesting, fighters guild ftw, rather than following the main history. I like to roam with the horse all over the world map, when I do this I found lots of castles, mines, caves, etc... Do you think is a good idea to enter them without having triggered a quest or something just for exploring? Or is it better to wait to get the right quest and then go there?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Leonsito said:
It's totally compatible being in the Dark Brotherhood and in the Fighter's/Mague's guilds? I mean, compatible quests and all of that.

AFAICT, none of the questlines interfere with eachother in the game. You can literally complete every quest in the game. Characters that are essential to completing a quest cannot be killed.

Leonsito

Nerevar said:
AFAICT, none of the questlines interferen with eachother in the game. You can literally complete every quest in the game. Characters that are essential to completing a quest cannot be killed.

And what about the quests of the dark brotherhood? The objectives are against the Fighter's guild "honor code"...

Nerevar

Leonsito said:
And what about the quests of the dark brotherhood? The objectives are against the Fighter's guild "honor code"...

after you get kicked out you can always get back in. Same with mages guild, thieves guild, etc. It might be a pain in the ass, but its definitely possible.

You could also concentrate on doing one questline at a time or at least saving the Dark Brotherhood quests for last, then you won't have to worry about conflicts as you'll already have completed the other ones.

Mr. Info

Mr. Info said:
Frigin A... I've been trying to get into the Dark Brotherhood since I bought the game. That "Your killing has been observed by forces unknown..." message never appears when I murder someone. Argh.. I don't understand it. Maybe because I had 11 murders when I first started out... Hehe

If anyone could help with this that would be greatly appreciated. I do everything required to get in, but it's just not working. I'm in every faction except the Dark Brotherhood. :(

Oh and for you vamp lovers, there is a mod that lets you buy a special amulet to protect you from the sunlight. Check it out on Gamespot under the Oblivion mods.

EDIT: It wasn't a ring, it was an amulet. http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/download.php?pid=924363&sid=6147046&mode=mods
There's also another mod that allows you to buy a hood that shields you from the sun as well.
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/gamespace/download.php?pid=924363&sid=6147055&mode=mods

Bah... This is bs... I have 31 murders and I still can't get recruited by the DB. I was in broad daylight in front of a guard and I murdered someone. I do everything.. I've tried sleeping everywhere, encampments, cabins, everywhere!!!! What the hell is going on?!

Seth C

Mr. Info said:
Bah... This is bs... I have 31 murders and I still can't get recruited by the DB. I was in broad daylight in front of a guard and I murdered someone. I do everything.. I've tried sleeping everywhere, encampments, cabins, everywhere!!!! What the hell is going on?!

Have you slept in a house you own? He won't come unless it is a safe and secure location.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I slept in the arena bloodworks after killing someone and he showed up there. With all the fighters and guards outside and everything.

Slick guy then walks off and vanishes into thin air with his invisibility spell :D I wanna be like him when I grow up man!!!!

Richiban

Fuck you, Dead Orc butler in Skingrad.

Does he have a room in the castle or something that I can steal the deed to the house, or what?

Newduck

I've completely botched my characters use of magic, i knew i chose a warrior nord, i knew he wouldnt exactly be a great mage but i expected as i leveled up i could get better.

It seems to have highly neutered my Magika stat, my Intel is almost 100 and my max Magika seems to be 200 without equipment. 200 is not enough to cast the higher spells, and unlike HP, Magika stupidly doesnt go up as you level. So i'm now stuck with a char thats gonna be useless at magic whatever level he gets too it seems. Is there no way around this, outside of the enchantment equipment etc route?

Nerevar

Newduck said:
I've completely botched my characters use of magic, i knew i chose a warrior nord, i knew he wouldnt exactly be a great mage but i expected as i leveled up i could get better.

It seems to have highly neutered my Magika stat, my Intel is almost 100 and my max Magika seems to be 200 without equipment. 200 is not enough to cast the higher spells, and unlike HP, Magika stupidly doesnt go up as you level. So i'm now stuck with a char thats gonna be useless at magic whatever level he gets too it seems. Is there no way around this, outside of the enchantment equipment etc route?

the cost of spells go down as you increase your proficiency in that skill. Try maxing out the skill in question and seeing if you can cast the spells you want then. Otherwise, you'll just have to get some fortify intel / magica enchantments to get around it.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Newduck said:
It seems to have highly neutered my Magika stat, my Intel is almost 100 and my max Magika seems to be 200 without equipment.

your magicka is always your intelligence times 2, though this can be fortified by your birthsign, your equipment, etc. as nerevar says, a spell's mp cost is based on your skill in its class of magic.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Finally finished the
vampire cure
quest. Honestly the worst part about the game and one of the worst fetch quests ever. But its ok as I can now go back to the main story.:)

Mr. Info

LakeEarth said:
That's weird. He approached me with 3 other people in the room (the Arena).

That doesn't work I tried. I've tried just about everything I think. Maybe I'm stuck with some kind of bug. =/

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mr. Info said:
That doesn't work I tried. I've tried just about everything I think. Maybe I'm stuck with some kind of bug. =/

He came to me the first time in the bloodworks also. How he came to me, exactly(spoilers pertaining to Arena quests):

After beating everybody in the arena and completing the Grey Prince's quest, I challenged him and he ran around asking me to kill him. I did, and it counted as a murder, my only murder in the game. I slept in the Bloodworks after that just to increase my level, and all of a sudden the Dark Brotherhood Speaker was next to me when I woke.

GhaleonEB

Kastrioti said:
Finally finished the
vampire cure
quest. Honestly the worst part about the game and one of the worst fetch quests ever. But its ok as I can now go back to the main story.:)
I have not done that one, but the quest now that I've gotten kicked out of the Mage's guild sucks big time. I'm basically ignoring it for another 10-20 hours until I'm in the mood to go picking flowers. I've got old people to assasinate for now.

Ecrofirt

I had him come to me in a fighter's guild room.

I killed him in front of everyone there, as I didn't want any part of the DB. No one caused a ruckus or anything, and I had no bounty for it.

I've now got his robe and hood, and I use them for sneaking and blade skills.

Mr. Info

Archaix said:
He came to me the first time in the bloodworks also. How he came to me, exactly(spoilers pertaining to Arena quests):

After beating everybody in the arena and completing the Grey Prince's quest, I challenged him and he ran around asking me to kill him. I did, and it counted as a murder, my only murder in the game. I slept in the Bloodworks after that just to increase my level, and all of a sudden the Dark Brotherhood Speaker was next to me when I woke.

I had slept on one of the cots after killing the Grey Prince as well. Nothing happened... =/

pilonv1

Is the vampire quest given to you from the guy in the DB worth doing? I've left it before
I have to "cleanse" the DB
so I haven't lost the ability to do it yet.

Also is there any point to doing non main quest Oblivion gates? I know there's some nice items in there (especially for alchemy) but I feel a bit guilty just running past them looking for Nirnroot.

raYne

pilonv1 said:
Is the vampire quest given to you from the guy in the DB worth doing? I've left it before
I have to "cleanse" the DB
so I haven't lost the ability to do it yet.
It's not a quest, he just gives you the opportunity to have him turn you into a vampire.

Also is there any point to doing non main quest Oblivion gates? I know there's some nice items in there (especially for alchemy) but I feel a bit guilty just running past them looking for Nirnroot.
Other than some "cool" goodies (weapons/enchantment items/rare alchemic ingredients), nope.

Meier

I swear.. I can't get over how shitty this game performs as far as freezes go. Do you hold down the A or the B when launching it to empty the cache? I've heard both, but I used A and it seemed to work.. but seriously, who knows.

I beat the main quest finally and am the guildmaster of both the Fighter's and Mage's guild. I'll now start my "evil" Khajiit who I'll work towards becoming the head of the Thieve's Guild and DB to finish off all of the accomplishments.

firex

GreenNight said:
Hey man I waited from 8 pm till 7 am and no one showed up. Did I screw something up?
Oh, it might be the night where the altar glows. I got lucky and ran out there on exactly that night. I think that's Turdas night.

firex

pilonv1 said:
On the whole, I seem to find way better items in Oblivion gates. Plus, Dremora weapons are as good as the equivalent heavy type* at their level and they cost way less to repair than the more expensive types, so they aren't bad to grab if you want something strong to enchant and don't have the armorer skill to repair (though armorer is REALLY easy to level, on a guy with 5 armor I already have like 30 and I'm level 13).

Plus, sigil stones are random and seem to scale with your level, and they can provide some really strong enchants. I think if you're looking for good enchanted gear without bothering to get into the arcane university, clearing oblivion gates is a good idea.

edit: also, it may just be me, but I see almost constant daedric gear in oblivion gates at high levels, while it can be rare in cyrodiil itself.

*heavy type meaning iron/steel/dwarven/orcish/ebony/daedric, as weapons of the appropriate heavy type seem to be a lot stronger than an equivalent light type (mithril/elven/glass).

jarosh

db quest about adamus philida:

when exactly do i have to kill him so i don't get caught? the only time he's not wearing his armor is when he goes swimming. but his guard is always nearby. so, any ideas?

Top Bottom