• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

GhaleonEB said:
I'm feeling better and better about missing Very Important Features of this game. The thing I discovered the other day on my new character, which I alluded to the other day, was that the compass will tell you when you are near locations that are undiscovered so far. I though it only pointed to places you found already. So to search for new places I just wandered aimlessly. Now I watch it and go "discover" and get the map marker for everything that I get near.

That's going to save me so. Many. Hours. :lol

You crack me up man! :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You crack me up man! :lol
I was actually AVOIDING stuff that popped up on that radar since I thought I had discovered them. :( (I didn't notice it at all until pretty late in my other game.)

GhaleonEB said:
I was actually AVOIDING stuff that popped up on that radar since I thought I had discovered them. :(

I suck at life.

Well, to be fair, it's a fairly subtle difference in the way the icons look, but once you notice it, it's pretty nice.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Well, to be fair, it's a fairly subtle difference in the way the icons look, but once you notice it, it's pretty nice.
And I still can't tell the difference between the red and green map markers. Being color blind bites sometimes.

Maya

GhaleonEB said:
That's awesome, but I'd have a hard time explaining that purchase to my wife. "You know that second mortgate we have out? I just added a third."

Not as bad as you think! Those are three 19" flats... I'd choose ViewSonic VX922 Black-Silver 19 2ms LCD Monitor -- $264.99 x 3 = $794.97 and the Matrox triple head thing is around $250.

So, 3840x1024 for about a grand. Plus this set up will work with an SLi config!

Core407 said:
Any reason?

I haven't felt that any of them have offered compelling enough content to get me to buy them, even for a few bucks. On top of that, there is still plenty of side quests and dungeons to explore yet so I haven't taken the plunge.

The Wizard's Tower and Epic Dungeon have both been tempting, but so far no go.

Maya said:
Not as bad as you think! Those are three 19" flats... I'd choose ViewSonic VX922 Black-Silver 19 2ms LCD Monitor -- $264.99 x 3 = $794.97 and the Matrox triple head thing is around $250.

That's not a bad price overall, but putting that same money towards an HDTV is far more practical imho. Aside from playing Oblivion, and maybe a flight sim, two of those three monitors would mostly go unused on my part.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Maya said:

you're going to spend as much if not more on a CPU / mobo and graphics card to run the game at that resolution at anything like an acceptable frame rate.

Don't get me wrong, I own both versions (picked up the PC when my 360 died to tid me over until it was repaired), but I've given up on the PC version until I upgrade my PC later on down the line (eyeing the next gen of intel chips). By then the mod scene will make it really worthwhile. It will be a similar experience to what I did with Morrowind, and that'll last me all generation :D

Yeah, it'll take a beast of machine to run that at a decent framerate, but it would be a pretty amazing experience I'm sure. Just not an experience the average gamer can really afford though.

GhaleonEB

I'm finding that I am starting to buget my time around this game.

*Get home from work
*Dinner
*Play with kids
*Put kids to bed
*Hang out with wife
*Play Oblivion

Not enough time for something? My solution is usually to stay up late to play Oblivion, and then go into work late. :lol

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Hey folks, been off the oblivion (and x360) scene for awhile but after forking out for the GRAW download I have 300 points left over.

Now I have to choose between Oblivion packs! I was really into the idea of my own pirate ship, and the wizards tower seems cool, so those 2 may be the ones to go for....but is this ehrune's Razor the best option?

Its 2 vs 1 here guys - help me choose!

(I decided to get GRAW because without it my Xbox Live Gold subscription would be a waste of money!)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So I did the Leyawiin recommendation quest but Dagail won't recognize the fact that I completed my task
Yes, I killed Kalthar after he attacked me and have the medalion, I even talked to Agata and she acts like Dagail will come to her senses
. This happened with a different mission and all I had to do was clear out other conversation options, but I don't see a place to do that here. She talks about the tower and whatnot when I ask about the city, so maybe it'd work if I beat the first Oblivion gate? Any ideas on what to do? It sucks not being in Arcane University.

-edit-
Oops, I just realized a possibility... is there a scrollbar for conversations and I'm just unobservant? Can't play right now to check, gotta go. Laters.

kaizoku

Dice said:
So I did the Leyawiin recommendation quest but Dagail won't recognize the fact that I completed my task
Yes, I killed Kalthar after he attacked me and have the medalion, I even talked to Agata and she acts like Dagail will come to her senses
. This happened with a different mission and all I had to do was clear out other conversation options, but I don't see a place to do that here. She talks about the tower and whatnot when I ask about the city, so maybe it'd work if I beat the first Oblivion gate? Any ideas on what to do? It sucks not being in Arcane University.

-edit-
Oops, I just realized a possibility... is there a scrollbar for conversations and I'm just unobservant? Can't play right now to check, gotta go. Laters.

Nothing to do with Oblivion gates. I havent even seen Martin yet and I've completed the mages questline.

My memory is abit too vague for that mission...dont you have a green arrow telling you where to go? You may have to speak to 2 or 3 different people.

Dice

kaizoku said:
Nothing to do with Oblivion gates. I havent even seen Martin yet and I've completed the mages questline.

My memory is abit too vague for that mission...dont you have a green arrow telling you where to go? You may have to speak to 2 or 3 different people.
I spoke to everyone and did everything there was in the whole freaking town. Simple fact is she is supposed to say "Oh, you found it!" but instead she is saying "Oh, nothing has changed!" blah blah blah.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Core407 said:
All of the DLCs, but I haven't played through the epic dungeon one.

Panajev:
I want the DLC's, I want the patch!!!!!

Take2:
Arnold-Stop-Whining-sizdow.jpg

Core407

Banned
I'll buy all of the DLCs, but that's the type of person I am. I got rid of PGR3 a bit back and I'm thinking of rebuying it because of all the new car packs. :lol

GhaleonEB

kaizoku said:
Hey folks, been off the oblivion (and x360) scene for awhile but after forking out for the GRAW download I have 300 points left over.

Now I have to choose between Oblivion packs! I was really into the idea of my own pirate ship, and the wizards tower seems cool, so those 2 may be the ones to go for....but is this ehrune's Razor the best option?

(I decided to get GRAW because without it my Xbox Live Gold subscription would be a waste of money!)
Depends on what you are looking for. The Razor quest is a giant, multi-part duneon and quest, with some cool magic items and an artifact at the end. The others are more locations with stuff to help your character, like the Wizard's Tower. So if you have a magical character, the Orrey (sp?) or Wizard's Tower might be a good idea. If you want to spend a few hours doing a massive dungeon and quest, then go for the Razor. I'm a dungeon guy, so I did the Razor. It's fun, and different from the other dungeons, and takes about 2 hours to go through.

Brannon

Hopefully the official expansion will let you explore Elsweyr. It's a cool name. Yep, that's all I'm basing my wish upon...

Also, drag(GLANCING NUTSTRIKE!)

kaizoku said:

My friends who have bought DLC seem to enjoy the Wizard's Tower and the Epic Dungeon the most. Looks like you'll need to pony up for some more points! :D

Shame on you for paying that fee for GRAW DLC! Now you've given them a reason to keep charging those prices! ;)

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
My friends who have bought DLC seem to enjoy the Wizard's Tower and the Epic Dungeon the most. Looks like you'll need to pony up for some more points! :D

Shame on you for paying that fee for GRAW DLC! Now you've given them a reason to keep charging those prices! ;)
As long as he doesn't buy the horse armor.....

kaizoku

Kung Fu Jedi said:

If I didnt buy the GRAW my subscription would probably run out before I buy another multiplayer game! I saw myself spending more money on brain training and figured "hmm...why not" lol. now same for oblivion ones i guess.

but if they keep it up, the money will dry up.

kaizoku said:
If I didnt buy the GRAW my subscription would probably run out before I buy another multiplayer game! I saw myself spending more money on brain training and figured "hmm...why not" lol. now same for oblivion ones i guess.

but if they keep it up, the money will dry up.

I understand. I'm just bitter because I was actually saving my points to get the GRAW map pack, but once they announced the price I was like "Screw that"! I love GRAW, I'm replaying it now on Hard mode, but $15 for those maps was too much for me to stomach. Which is why I'm eyeing some of the Oblivion DLC now.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I understand. I'm just bitter because I was actually saving my points to get the GRAW map pack, but once they announced the price I was like "Screw that"! I love GRAW, I'm replaying it now on Hard mode, but $15 for those maps was too much for me to stomach. Which is why I'm eyeing some of the Oblivion DLC now.
One way to look at it could be that the success of the Horse Armor DLC may have helped convince Ubi to price the map pack that way. So in a sense the doomsayers may have been right about it. Part of me kind of feels guilty for shelling out for the Epic Dungeon. It's nice, but I can't help but feel that I was had, a little bit.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
GhaleonEB said:
One way to look at it could be that the success of the Horse Armor DLC may have helped convince Ubi to price the map pack that way. So in a sense the doomsayers may have been right about it. Part of me kind of feels guilty for shelling out for the Epic Dungeon. It's nice, but I can't help but feel that I was had, a little bit.
agreed. As I said, with the Epic Dungeon, I felt like I was just playing a well-made mod. The lack of any real interactive content (such as new dialogue) made it seem kinda vanilla. I'm all for well-done microtransactions, but it's obvious to me that full-featured expansions are still much more viable than incomplete side purchases.

GhaleonEB

Nerevar said:
agreed. As I said, with the Epic Dungeon, I felt like I was just playing a well-made mod. The lack of any real interactive content (such as new dialogue) made it seem kinda vanilla. I'm all for well-done microtransactions, but it's obvious to me that full-featured expansions are still much more viable than incomplete side purchases.
I think that's a good point (I missed your earlier post about it). I'm playing through the game again with a new character, and I'm not motivated to do the dungeon. Why? Because there are 200 other ones I have not done yet. Maybe some night I'm going to sit down and say, I want to plow through that giant one. But for now it's just another dungeon out there, albiet a well-designed one. Just not enough new there to really make it stand out.

You guys are maing the point for me right now that I"ve been saying for some time. I've got plenty to do in the game without having to buy the DLC, and a full blown expansion will certainly get my cash.

I'm not opposed the whole microtransaction idea at all, it just needs to be compelling content, at the right price. For me, the GRAW pack was compelling content, at the wrong price, and the so far the Oblivion DLC's have been the right price, just not all that compelling.

Maya

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'm not opposed the whole microtransaction idea at all, it just needs to be compelling content, at the right price.

My thoughts exactly. Actually, I could say I'm a huge fan of them, as long as they WORK. I have no issue flippin'em a busk or two for some cool content... BUT! I felt a little burned with the flakiness of the horse armor install, and I haven't purchased another add-on since. I guess you can call it gun shy, but I may be back to buy some stuff in the near future.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You guys are maing the point for me right now that I"ve been saying for some time. I've got plenty to do in the game without having to buy the DLC, and a full blown expansion will certainly get my cash.

I'm not opposed the whole microtransaction idea at all, it just needs to be compelling content, at the right price. For me, the GRAW pack was compelling content, at the wrong price, and the so far the Oblivion DLC's have been the right price, just not all that compelling.
One question. What's "maing"? :p

You're right about the content:price ratios. I take some comfort in the fact that this whole microtransaction marketplace is still in its infancy. I think some people may be buying stuff just because there's relatively little out there. But given the early success, there will be MUCH more to choose from, and hopefully a broader mix of that content:quality ratio. Then market forces will actually take root and we'll get a better picture of where things are going.

Core407

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

You're right about the content:price ratios. I take some comfort in the fact that this whole microtransaction marketplace is still in its infancy. I think some people may be buying stuff just because there's relatively little out there. But given the early success, there will be MUCH more to choose from, and hopefully a broader mix of that content:quality ratio. Then market forces will actually take root and we'll get a better picture of where things are going.

You don't be seeing insane amounts of content if it's kept strictly developer-based. If they somehow allow for user created content, then you will see a huge range in quality.

Wow this game just keeps pulling me back. I play it for a week then take a break for other games. It's easily the best RPG I've played on a console. It's got a great shot at GOTY :).

I loved all the extra content I've bought for the 360 version. The orrey quest one though screwed up on me ahah. I killed one of the guys with a part and I couldn't find the corpse. Not sure what to do. I love Froscrag (sp?) Spire the most though. That's a very nice add on to the game. :)

GhaleonEB said:

Typeo! :p

GhaleonEB said:

It is still in it's infancy, but this is also whent he rules are set. If Ubi see that they can charge $15 for GRAW maps, which were given away for free last gen, and get people to buy them, they'll keep doing it. Other devs will do the same. We're setting the standards right now for how much these microtransactions will cost.

It's not enough for us to bitch about how much they cost, if we then turn around and buy them anyway. That sends a message to the developers that while we're not happy, we'll still cave in and buy anyway.

Dice

Well it was a scrollbar for more conversation options, man I feel dumb. At least I'm in AU now, with all these stupid obstacles out of the way I can just get to enjoying missions.

Dice

Does the enemy scaling follow your level number or your stats? Because I'm level 30 but have been "efficiently leveling" and the enemies are freaking tough. I spotted a beast in the forrest so I sniper shot it with an arrow, which did almost nothing to it, turns out it was a Minotaur Lord so I conjured a Frost Atronach and refreshed as needed and he kept fighting him for a long time. I have other fighting tactics, but it seems like I'm fighting some really tough characters, definitely not some "level 30 out of 255" characters.

As far as I can tell, the creatures levels are based on your levels, and not your stats. We've gone round and round in here about the levelling system for the monsters, with some for and some against it. The creatures do give a consistent challenge for awhiel, but if you continue to improve your weapons, armor, and spells, plus mix up your tactics, they shouldn't be all that tough to beat.

GhaleonEB

Dice said:
Does the enemy scaling follow your level number or your stats? Because I'm level 30 but have been "efficiently leveling" and the enemies are freaking tough. I spotted a beast in the forrest so I sniper shot it with an arrow, which did almost nothing to it, turns out it was a Minotaur Lord so I conjured a Frost Atronach and refreshed as needed and he kept fighting him for a long time. I have other fighting tactics, but it seems like I'm fighting some really tough characters, definitely not some "level 30 out of 255" characters.
Some enemies will always be tough. I was a level 35 battle mage with 100 Blade skill, a 32 damage claymore with 25pts fire damage and Minotaur Lord's STILL took bloody forever to take down. But other creatures I once though were invincible I could plow through - mountain lions (in two blows), Storm Atranoch, Will-o-the-Wisp and others. You do get ahead of most of them eventually. (Heck, town guards fell by the dozens by the end. :) )

Also, while I SWORE I would not get a horse this game, I got one by accident.
I was exploring the woods when I came accross the cove with the unicorn. I Jumped on it just to see if I could actually ride - yup, it let me. Then I jumped off and kept going. Two days (not game time, actual time) later I fast travel to a town and get told my horse is at the stable. WFT? It's the unicorn. It's following me around, like a pet. I decided to keep it, and just not do the shrine that makes you kill it. My little female wood elf is a natural for him. :)

I'm just getting back into Oblivion and had such a great thing happen to me. For reference, I'm a Level 16 Crusader.

So, I'm doing that brutal Fort Grief quest,
the one that becomes Hunter's Run. So I beat the first two guys with very little effort, but this last orc guy is, literally, killing me. Now, in the room he's in, there's this sort of pool in the middle. Now, I had done that fishscale quest (GHOSTFACE KILLAH!) so I was able to permanently breathe under water. So I thought I'd dive in, get myself a bit of an advantage. The first couple of times it didn't work but I figured I'd keep trying. I take a couple of swipes at him, do a little damage and then desperately run out of the pool and back into the hallway, hoping I can maybe heal a little and get some small advantage spatially. So I'm sitting there. And sitting there. And sitting there. All of a sudden, the End Of Quest message comes up! I figure there's got to be something wrong, so I very slowly walk back to the pool, Glass Longsword drawn (great weapon by the way). There's the Orc. Totally drowned. Couldn't believe my tactical luck! I grabbed his AMAZING ebony armor and was on my way.

True story.

gblues

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I'm just getting back into Oblivion and had such a great thing happen to me. For reference, I'm a Level 16 Crusader.

So, I'm doing that brutal Fort Grief quest,
the one that becomes Hunter's Run. So I beat the first two guys with very little effort, but this last orc guy is, literally, killing me. Now, in the room he's in, there's this sort of pool in the middle. Now, I had done that fishscale quest (GHOSTFACE KILLAH!) so I was able to permanently breathe under water. So I thought I'd dive in, get myself a bit of an advantage. The first couple of times it didn't work but I figured I'd keep trying. I take a couple of swipes at him, do a little damage and then desperately run out of the pool and back into the hallway, hoping I can maybe heal a little and get some small advantage spatially. So I'm sitting there. And sitting there. And sitting there. All of a sudden, the End Of Quest message comes up! I figure there's got to be something wrong, so I very slowly walk back to the pool, Glass Longsword drawn (great weapon by the way). There's the Orc. Totally drowned. Couldn't believe my tactical luck! I grabbed his AMAZING ebony armor and was on my way.

True story.

I did the same thing, but then the quest glitched when I tried to leave (
Kurgan was supposed to kill what's-his-face, but didn't, and I was stuck with no control
) so I had to reload to a point before that, and I just couldn't get it to happen again.

Nathan

LakeEarth

I did that quest after I leveled up from 2-11 (cause I didn't realize I had already leveled up all those times) and I hadn't had upgraded anything. So I'm doing that quest in fur boots and an iron sword, using a fireball that does 6 damage. Good times.

Top Bottom