• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Zaphod

Are they always in the snow? I'll go back in a bit and try to look for it one more time. At least I am a nord. Ive got a 30 ft ring of light. I'll try that too.

Suerte

Hey guys, just to let you know, it was something I was wearing (Dark Brotherhood outfit) that was bumping my illusion up by a few points, I'm now a master of illusion though :D

gblues

Banned
JCBossman said:
I have come across a Very disturbing issue,I am Arch -Mage so I got that swanky Bacholor Pad with the Magic chest,well at the foot of your bed is a another chest,and I filled it up with about 75,000 gold worth of loot and now it F'N gone...WTF?
Also What do I have to do, to move along the Fighter's guild quest, everytime I go into a fighters guild nobody seems to be in charge?
I am going to Snipe post 10,000:) ...just kidding Kung-Fu you deserve it.
Edit: I told this servent girl, You wanna job? I gotta job for you down here...see this zipper is broken:)

If you had payed attention when you were granted the status of Arch Mage, you would've known that:

1) putting an ingredient in the chest for a week makes a bunch of duplicates of that ingredient to show up in the chest;
2) Leaving the duplicated ingredients too long will cause them to disappear; and
3) Putting any non-ingredient items in the chest would cause them to disappear.

Really, there's an NPC that explains all this. I'm baffled why everyone acts like it's a bug.

Nathan

ShutEye

Zaphod said:
I think I may have broke a quest. I can only find 4 of Garriedan's Tears for S'drassa the crystal collector. Am I missing something? I've searched the Frostfire Grove high and low and still no extra tear. Anyone else have this problem or am I missing something?

There is a known glitch where the fifth tear falls through the centre
ice statue with the hero and the beast in it
and is no longer accessible. That said the tears are incredibly difficult to see so you might have just missed it. I'd reload though, just to be safe.

Core407 said:
I've never even used one of those stones. What exactly do they do? They're just sitting in a cabinet somewhere.

It's basically a free enchantment on a weapon or item for you. Click on them in your inventory, then apply the effect to your weapon/item. How can you have played this long and not figured that one out?? :lol

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
It's basically a free enchantment on a weapon or item for you. Click on them in your inventory, then apply the effect to your weapon/item. How can you have played this long and not figured that one out?? :lol
I played ~60 hours before I knew that. Had a wicked 25pts fire damage I was lugging around for half that time. :lol

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

No, I normally figure that kind of stuff out. For some reason I just assumed I had to collect them and needed a certain amount to progress to some point. I never asked about them, looked at the item or anything. Ended up stashing them in my house in Anvil, so I'll stop by and see what the big fuss is about. :lol

Quick and dumb question, but I have to ask it.

I want to buy the spell "open hard locks". Does that mean hard locks and the easier ones below it or ONLY hard locks?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
siamesedreamer said:
Quick and dumb question, but I have to ask it.

I want to buy the spell "open hard locks". Does that mean hard locks and the easier ones below it or ONLY hard locks?

It and everything below it. Open V. Hard locks opens all.

JCBossman

Banned
I have the MOST issues with Enchanting...I have an Azura's Gem, surely the BEST gem in the game,yet i can ONLY enchant to like 1600 points, yet I have items with FOUR times that in enchanting, what is special in Azura's soulgem? I get regular grand sol gems to do 1600, and YET still can't capture a Daditic Lord WTF? I wan't to make his soul MINE...and he isn't EVEN the BIGGEST creature, that would go to the LICH,so what is up with getting these BIG souls in my Belly!!!

BTW: Open Leg's Jeanette Opens EVERYTHING, 100 points open lock! Just like her slut legs did to ALL men.

GhaleonEB

JCBossman said:
I have the MOST issues with Enchanting...I have an Azura's Gem, surely the BEST gem in the game,yet i can ONLY enchant to like 1600 points, yet I have items with FOUR times that in enchanting, what is special in Azura's soulgem? I get regular grand sol gems to do 1600, and YET still can't capture a Daditic Lord WTF? I wan't to make his soul MINE...and he isn't EVEN the BIGGEST creature, that would go to the LICH,so what is up with getting these BIG souls in my Belly!!!

BTW: Open Leg's Jeanette Opens EVERYTHING, 100 points open lock! Just like her slut legs did to ALL men.
You need Black Soul gems to capture humans and humanoids. Grand Soul gems should capture the largest creatures. I think Lichs count as a humanoid. Done the Mage's Guild quesline yet?

Zaphod

ShutEye said:
There is a known glitch where the fifth tear falls through the centre
ice statue with the hero and the beast in it
and is no longer accessible. That said the tears are incredibly difficult to see so you might have just missed it. I'd reload though, just to be safe.

I've searched quite a bit. I'm too far to reload so I'll just get it on my next run through the game. Thanks for the info.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
GhaleonEB said:
You need Black Soul gems to capture humans and humanoids. Grand Soul gems should capture the largest creatures. I think Lichs count as a humanoid. Done the Mage's Guild quesline yet?
Lichs (and all the rest of the undead) are not humanoid, but Daedra are. That's why you get the eror about "not having a big enough soul gem" when you try and soul trap a daedra lord. It's misleading because the issue really isn't the size of the soul gem, but rather the type (you need a black soul gem for them).

FYI, the max you can enchant an item is 1600 from a grand soul gem. Transcendent sigil stones offer a bit more overall enchantment value, but the best enchantments (the ones with like 8000 charges) are only on special unique items in the game. I'm assuming the developers did this because they wanted the loot that you find to have actual real value, as opposed to being fodder compared to the super items you could make in past ES games.

Mr.Ressetti said:
I have a Radeon X700 256 MB Thanks God, but Oblivion runs like running on a Radeon 9200 or 9500 . =/ Can anyone help me ?

Are you running the latest drivers? If so, I'd say your problem may be elsewhere, such as lack of memory or slow processor.

W00t! Finally got the hang of texturing. Check out the shield I'm making for my new mod:

colovianknights10.jpg

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Are you running the latest drivers? If so, I'd say your problem may be elsewhere, such as lack of memory or slow processor.

I have an HP Pavilion just bought it, 3 Ghz - 1 GB DDr Ram , isn't that good enough ?

Nerevar

Mr.Ressetti said:
I have an HP Pavilion just bought it, 3 Ghz - 1 GB DDr Ram , isn't that good enough ?

The CPU and Ram are ok, and the graphics card should be performing at about the same level as Radeon 9800 pro from doing a little researching. I have an x800 pro in my rig, and I've put off the PC version until I upgrade due to slowdown and choppiness, so keep that in mind. I don't think you're going to get "great" performance out of your setup, no matter what you do.

GhaleonEB

LakeEarth said:
Whoops, I've been switching between 5 spells for 80 hours :lol
Annoying, isn't it? I bought the Easy and Very Easy spells after getting the Average spell, not knowing what it did. Used for about half of my last game as well. :lol

Mr.Ressetti said:

Make sure you're running the latest drivers. I doubt HP ships with the latest from ATI. You may see some performance improvements from there.

GhaleonEB

KFJ, that's the second spoiler you've messed up on this page! :lol

I think that item is a concession to the possible reaction to the lockpicking game. I'm kind of priding myself on getting good at it now, but I sure dove at that thing as soon as I heard of it last game.

GhaleonEB

MMaRsu said:
So when I have Methrunes Razor, it captures souls. What can I do with them?
Hmmm, not sure. I might do that quest tonight since I'm just getting into the main quest. I just cleared out Kavath - it's a complete bitch when you are level 17! Nothing but spider deadra, daedroths, storm atronochs and those giant guys that summon clannfears. I walked into one room and found FIVE daedroths in there! The razor would have come in handy. (I'd prepared over 50 poisons for the occasion. I still ran out.)

Nerevar said:
The CPU and Ram are ok, and the graphics card should be performing at about the same level as Radeon 9800 pro from doing a little researching. I have an x800 pro in my rig, and I've put off the PC version until I upgrade due to slowdown and choppiness, so keep that in mind. I don't think you're going to get "great" performance out of your setup, no matter what you do.

Thanks for the information! . So I can expect to play it on full quality if I would have a Radeon X1800 no ?

Mr.Ressetti said:
Thanks for the information! . So I can expect to play it on full quality if I would have a Radeon X1800 no ?

Yep, full quality, nice frame rate, and again, with the newest drivers from ATI you can do both HDR and AA at the same time.

Morbo

I've never really been into RPGs but Oblivion has piqued my interest.
There are only a few things holding me back. I'm a little put off by the idea of familiarizing myself with dozens of items/spells. Levelling up in my (admittedly limited) experience is tedious.
Finally I've been playing first person console games "left handed" (left thumb looking, right moving) since Turok on the 64. It's reached the point that this control method is virtually hard-wired in my brain. I don't know if Oblivion lets you control it like that, but if not it's a potential deal breaker. Afterall I don't want to still be adjusting to the controls at the end of the game.
So with those reservations in mind, should I take the plunge or not?

GhaleonEB

Morbo said:
There are only a few things holding me back.
I can answer a couple of these. This was my first Elder Scrolls game, having been a console-only RPG player before; Morrowind intimidated the hell out of me.

I'm a little put off by the idea of familiarizing myself with dozens of items/spells.
The item and spell system is not very intimidating. There are lots of them, and you can even make your own, but they break down into pretty straight-forward categories. For spells there are a few different kinds of damage (lighting, fire, ice, damage health), healing, stat-boosting and the usual shields and such. A few special ones for seeing in the dark, detecting enemies and opening locks. Nothing I was overwhelmed by.

The items are likewise straighforward, once you understand that you can do some specific things with a few of them. Reading the manual is important for a few. But for the most part, you have weapons in a few classes (swords, bows, hammers, axes), keys, torches, potions/poisons and quest items.

Levelling up in my (admittedly limited) experience is tedious.
You don't need to worry about leveling in the game much. It's a free-form RPG where you are not limited in where you go. The way it works is that enemies scale slowly with you, introducing more powerful creatures as you level up. You get ahead of the curve, but it keeps the game challenging. It's not a perfect system, but it does mean that you don't need to power-level, ever, to enjoy the game.

Finally I've been playing first person console games "left handed" (left thumb looking, right moving) since Turok on the 64. It's reached the point that this control method is virtually hard-wired in my brain. I don't know if Oblivion lets you control it like that, but if not it's a potential deal breaker. Afterall I don't want to still be adjusting to the controls at the end of the game.
Not sure about this one. I'll check how customizable the controls are later on, unless someone beats me to it.

Let me ask this question: do you like exploring dungeons for loot and quests, or do you play RPGs for the story?

Vark

Confidence Man said:
W00t! Finally got the hang of texturing. Check out the shield I'm making for my new mod:

colovianknights10.jpg

hey, lookin' pretty snazzy there.

Forgot to mention it but I downloaded your other mod a while back, i'd have liked more things to kill but I liked the way you'd had it set up.

Morbo

GhaleonEB said:
Let me ask this question: do you like exploring dungeons for loot and quests, or do you play RPGs for the story?

Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I don't honestly know given how limited my RPG experience is (read: virtually nonexistant). Both I guess, ideally.

Nerevar

Morbo said:
There are only a few things holding me back. I'm a little put off by the idea of familiarizing myself with dozens of items/spells. Levelling up in my (admittedly limited) experience is tedious.
nobody likes this game, you'd be wasting your time.

GhaleonEB

Morbo said:
Thanks for the reply. To answer your question, I don't honestly know given how limited my RPG experience is (read: virtually nonexistant). Both I guess, ideally.
You'll be in good shape with the game then. It's fun in that you can do different things depending on your mood. There are ~200 dungeons in the game, most of them optional. Just go exploring and you'll run into ruins, caves, forts, camps, and more to go exploring for loot in. Or, you can just follow the main quest, join a guild and go through that questline...it's quite fun. And the combat system makes it basically a giant action-RPG, which I love. Combat is quite satisfying.

Look at it this way. This thread is by far the largest in GAF history. For good reason. :)

Vark said:
hey, lookin' pretty snazzy there.

Forgot to mention it but I downloaded your other mod a while back, i'd have liked more things to kill but I liked the way you'd had it set up.

Thanks!

Generally I find that too much combat gets tiresome; playing through a lot of the quests in the game I'd just have to groan when I saw yet another ogre or daedroth or pair of atronachs up ahead. That said, I don't mind fighting tons of humanoid enemies (which is why I loved Mehrunes' Razor).

There won't be a shortage of baddies to thwack in the knights faction I'm making now.

Morbo: Judging from what you're telling us, I'd recommend you rent Oblivion first to make sure it's for you. I would also suggest that you give it some time. A lot of first time players get quickly overwhelmed by all the things there are to see and do, and there is little direction at first while you get your bearings, and an understand of how things work.

Once you travel to a town, chat with a few people, pick up some quests, get a feel for the controls, and how the game works, you'll have a better understand if it's for you or not. I've played other Elder Scrolls games, and even my first few hours were lost an a haze of ADD as I ran all over the place checking things out. "Hey, there's a cool dungeon over there, ooo...what's in that town... hmm... who is that person on horseback...look a butterfly!" :lol

Morbo

Thanks for the advice, I took the plunge and bought it. Put in a couple hours, no regrets so far. Except perhaps for the time it's going to suck from my life, but hey, I had no use for that anyway.

Morbo said:
Thanks for the advice, I took the plunge and bought it. Put in a couple hours, no regrets so far. Except perhaps for the time it's going to suck from my life, but hey, I had no use for that anyway.

:lol

Welcome to the club. Those of us in this thread can certainly relate to the hours this game can suck away from you. Most of us are in the 150+ houre category and climbing. :D

Glad to hear that you are enjoying it so far. I think the game only gets better as you get more comfortable with it. If you've got questions, and you probably will, post them here. We're still on track to get 10,000 posts in this thread!

Yeah, the game is absolutely enormous. I'm at 42 hours and have only closed one Oblivion gate in the main quest. I've just been screwing around in dungeons and doing odd quests. I've finally got to the point where I can go to the Arkane University in the Mag'es Guild quest.

Oh, and that's another point. If you are a mage type character, or intend to use magic regularly, I'd highly recommend doing the Mage Guild Questline so you can get into the Arcane University as quickly as possible. It opens up more spells for you, provides access to the Spell Making and Enchanting Alters, and generally gets your magic use off to a good start early on.

bengraven

Okay, so I started another character last night, but didn't get very far out of the sewer gates. I suddenly missed my first character.

So I downloaded all the Live plugins except Horse Armor (sorry, Vark!). It's a fairly new game now! I decided that since my character is a nice mix of thief/warrior, I'm going to start upping my magical abilities. Eating plants and mixing potions. Using low-level Destruction spells on low-level characters. Training. I want to make an absolutely awesome character out of my main one. Why? The inevitable expansion packs.

I'm also going to just walk around. I forgot how much fun it was just wandering about! Explore the countryside! Enter out of the way inns and settlements! Finish that goddamn nirnroot quest! Finish all the mod quests! And get some shadowbanish wine for that girl at Lake Rumare so she can get drunk and evil!

GhaleonEB

Morbo said:
Can you get online? Download the patch! Just sign up for a Silver account (free). It's really important.

gblues

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Why punish yourself? :lol

QFT.

I rued the day I picked up one of those goddamn nirnroots. I thought they were important (seeing as the stats page had a counter for them), so I grabbed one. Little did I know I was setting myself up the bomb.

"10? Ok, shouldn't be too hard..."
"20? Oh jeez, that's going to be tough..."
"30? You're kidding, right? Right?"
"40? ARE YOU BATSHIT INSANE! GET THEM YOURSELF YOU LAZY ASSHOLE!"

I eventually duped myself a bunch of nirnroots just to get the damn quest out of my quest list. :)

Nathan

Top Bottom