• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
Andonuts said:
I'm sure this has been asked before in this thread, but it's well over 100 pages long so I hope I'll be forgiven for asking it again: where's the best place to sell expensive/valuable weapons and armor? Most armorers I've found have a max capital of 1200 at most. Is there any way to get anything close to what these things are actually worth?

1200 is as good as you will get.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Isn't there a merchant in one of the DLCs (the Pirate one, I think) that has 2000 gold?

Doesn't matter much after awhile anyway, as you get to the point where you are swimming in gold, even when you have a 1200 gp limit. By the time I was done with the Main Quest, and all the Guild Quests, I had over 350,000 gold, with two fully stocked houses.

LakeEarth

siamesedreamer said:
Is there any other point to buying a house than keeping shit in it?
You apparently can get a servant for one of your houses. I haven't done it so I don't know which one, but ... a servant!

siamesedreamer said:
Is there any other point to buying a house than keeping shit in it?

Place to store stuff is pretty important as you get more crap. A place to sleep other than an Inn I suppose, but aside from that, not much.

However, if you grab some of the DLC's, several of which aren't much more than glorified houses, you may find some extra benefits. Especially the Wizard's Tower or Thieve's Den.

oldboy1 said:
i've activated the collector quest but can't figure out what to do.

where are the statues???

If you find one or two of them, you'll get a list of where they are all at, which includes:

Vilverin, Culotte, Moranda, Ninendava, Fanacas, Mackamentain, Wenyandawik, Wendir, Welke, and Wendelbeck.

The Collector's Questline is one of the best in the game. Very cool stuff.

GhaleonEB

bengraven said:
QFT.

The Purification quest was the most emotionally engaging quest in the entire game
Yeah, I was so conflicted during that quest.
One of the members I was very fond of - "good luck brother! I hope you don't get killed!" - and it stung to take her out. On the other hand, two of them deserved to die for being such a pain in the rear to me. Last minute apologies didn't cut it. But as far as plot twists go, that one was a doozie.

I've been funding my purchases mostly with stolen goods (over 2100 stolen items!). Two comments. First, while it's rewarding to steal like mad, and very fun, I wish there were some better loot to be had that way. I can spend a whole night in the wealthy district of a town looting everything in sight, and make a couple thousand gold off it. Then I go kill a bandit who is wearing glass everything and make 3000 gold in one shot. Kind of dampens my motivation to keep stealing.

The other issue is that now that I'm
the Grey Fox
I can't get anyone to buy my stuff. All my fences just talk to me, without the option to sell. I've got 100+ items in a chest in my house that I can't sell. Can you only steal and sell up until that point?

GhaleonEB said:
I've been funding my purchases mostly with stolen goods (over 2100 stolen items!). Two comments. First, while it's rewarding to steal like mad, and very fun, I wish there were some better loot to be had that way. I can spend a whole night in the wealthy district of a town looting everything in sight, and make a couple thousand gold off it. Then I go kill a bandit who is wearing glass everything and make 3000 gold in one shot. Kind of dampens my motivation to keep stealing.

The other issue is that now that I'm
the Grey Fox
I can't get anyone to buy my stuff. All my fences just talk to me, without the option to sell. I've got 100+ items in a chest in my house that I can't sell. Can you only steal and sell up until that point?

It would be nice to have some great "thief" targets, outside of the guild quests, that would pay off for you. For instance, you would get some rumors from talking around town about some fancy gem, or other item, that someone is suppose to have in their home. The item may or may not be there, but then make it a challenge for the thief to get in and out. I can understand the average peasant not having much of value for us to steal, but the manor houses should have better items.

As for your issue when selling to your fences, are you wearing
the Grey Fox's hood{/spoiler] when you talk to them? Maybe that's an issue. Although I don't think I sold anything to the fences after I completed that questline.

MMaRsu

Hey ppl, where can I find an Alteration trainer? I'm stuck on this reccomendation for which I have to steal something from that woman's desk...

Core407

Banned
MrPing1000 said:
the big expensive house can also provide a servant girl.

she doesn't do all I'd hoped for though.

I wish she'd repair my weapons, prepare potions and sell items for me.

Edit:

I'm down to the last 5-10 undiscovered points! Don't really know what I plan to do once I explore everything, but it'll probably involve me doing some pearl diving and potion making. :D

JCBossman

Banned
I have come across a Very disturbing issue,I am Arch -Mage so I got that swanky Bacholor Pad with the Magic chest,well at the foot of your bed is a another chest,and I filled it up with about 75,000 gold worth of loot and now it F'N gone...WTF?
Also What do I have to do, to move along the Fighter's guild quest, everytime I go into a fighters guild nobody seems to be in charge?
I am going to Snipe post 10,000:) ...just kidding Kung-Fu you deserve it.
Edit: I told this servent girl, You wanna job? I gotta job for you down here...see this zipper is broken:)

GhaleonEB

MMaRsu said:
Hey ppl, where can I find an Alteration trainer? I'm stuck on this reccomendation for which I have to steal something from that woman's desk...
I'm not sure where one is, but I don't think you need it for the quest. IIRC,
he gives you a spell to unlock Average locks. However, you can just pick it regularly with lockpics.

JCBossman said:
I have come across a Very disturbing issue,I am Arch -Mage so I got that swanky Bacholor Pad with the Magic chest,well at the foot of your bed is a another chest,and I filled it up with about 75,000 gold worth of loot and now it F'N gone...WTF?
Also What do I have to do, to move along the Fighter's guild quest, everytime I go into a fighters guild nobody seems to be in charge?
Edit: I told this servent girl, You wanna job? I gotta job for you down here...see this zipper is broken:)
Anything you put in chests etc. that are not in houses you buy get taken, even when you rise to the top of the factions and get the leader's rooms. Sucks. :(

Oh, and I'm fully expecting a mod to lock this thread at post 9,999. :lol

JCBossman said:

JC, in regards to the Arch-Mage's apartment, it never technically becomes yours. For some reason, you don't own it, which means items that you put in the chests, or just leave around the room, will eventually disappear. Thankfully, I knew this ahead of time, and didn't end up losing anything, but the only safe place to leave stuff for storage is in the houses you own.

Which Fighter's Guild Quest are you stuck on, and in which town are you? Eventually you have to hop around to the different towns getting the quests. I'm assuming you've already joined the guild.

As for the 10,000 post, I'd love to snag it, but who ever gets it gets it. You know it'll probably come at 2 AM when most of the regulars in this thread are fast asleep. :D

GhaleonEB said:
Oh, and I'm fully expecting a mod to lock this thread at post 9,999. :lol

Actually, I've been sort of thinking the same thing, although I figured they'd let us hit 10k before the closed us down. :lol

MMaRsu

Yeah I tried picking the lock, then I grab the book and go downstairs to give it to him. But it doesn't show up in the dialogs? Maybe because it's a stolen item or whateveR?

Core407 said:
Why would they close it?

Just seems like something the mods around here might do. Let us get to 10k then close it down and tell us all to move along. :lol I have no justifaction for that, just sorta fells like it could happen. But, they may just let us Oblivion fiends keep talking about the game for the rest of our lives! :D

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Just seems like something the mods around here might do. Let us get to 10k then close it down and tell us all to move along. :lol I have no justifaction for that, just sorta fells like it could happen. But, they may just let us Oblivion fiends keep talking about the game for the rest of our lives! :D

Well that's just silly.

GhaleonEB

MMaRsu said:
Allright then, where can I buy an open very easy lock ( or easy ) ?
The Mage's guild at one of the towns specializes in Alteration and you can buy it from a member there. I can't remember which one, though. It's not Chorrol or the Imperial City.

MMaRsu

GhaleonEB said:
The Mage's guild at one of the towns specializes in Alteration and you can buy it from a member there. I can't remember which one, though. It's not Chorrol or the Imperial City.

Thx ill go look for it :)

MMaRsu said:
Allright then, where can I buy an open very easy lock ( or easy ) ?

What level are you in Alteration currently? I believe there is a low level trainer in Cheydinhal. Mid level trainer can be found Chorrol.

I think you can buy the Easy Lock spell in Chorrol as well, at the Mage's Guild.

GhaleonEB

Kung Fu Jedi said:
What level are you in Alteration currently? I believe there is a low level trainer in Cheydinhal. Mid level trainer can be found Chorrol.

I think you can buy the Easy Lock spell in Chorrol as well, at the Mage's Guild.
Oh goddamn that's the one place I told him NOT to go. :lol :lol :lol

I thought Chorrol specialized on Conjuration.

GhaleonEB said:
Oh goddamn that's the one place I told him NOT to go. :lol :lol :lol

I thought Chorrol specialized on Conjuration.

I think the trainer there, Albric Little does specialize in Conjuration, but I think you can train in Alteration with Athragar there as well. I also thought you could buy the spell for Open Easy Lock there too. Could be wrong though. :D

Suerte

Hmm, I think I may have hit a bad glitch :(

My illusion skill is now at 101, but when I try to cast illusion spells that require a skill level of 100, they're faded out and it says my skill level is too low?! It also says I'm still an expert in illusion, shouldn't this change to master once you hit 100? :\

Suerte said:
Hmm, I think I may have hit a bad glitch :(

My illusion skill is now at 101, but when I try to cast illusion spells that require a skill level of 100, they're faded out and it says my skill level is too low?! It also says I'm still an expert in illusion, shouldn't this change to master once you hit 100? :\

I believe your actual skill level needs to be at 100. You've obviously used some other method to get your skill up that high, such as a magic item or something. When you've magically raised your skill level to that height, you get the bonuses of having the skill level that high, but because you technically haven't raised it to that level yet, you can't cast the higher spells, nor are you considered a Master.

Suerte

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I believe your actual skill level needs to be at 100. You've obviously used some other method to get your skill up that high, such as a magic item or something. When you've magically raised your skill level to that height, you get the bonuses of having the skill level that high, but because you technically haven't raised it to that level yet, you can't cast the higher spells, nor are you considered a Master.

Ah that's a relief, so it could be to do with something I'm wearing, or any bonus skill points I've received from quests etc?

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:

Yes, same thing just happened to me. Acrobatics skill was closing in on 100 and finally reached it, but I'm still an expert. Guessing I'll have to hit 110 until I'm a master. :D

Suerte: Try unequipping everything and then look at your statistics.

raYne

Suerte said:
Ah that's a relief, so it could be to do with something I'm wearing, or any bonus skill points I've received from quests etc?
Yes. You're wearing some kind of item/clothing that puts you at an artificial 100+ level. You have to be an actual 100 for mater level stuff.

Core407 said:
Suerte: Try unequipping everything and then look at your statistics.
There's a sub-menu that tells you all the bonuses you're currently getting from special items. I'd tell you exactly where it is, but I haven't played in over a month.

JCBossman

Banned
Well thank Azura, tht it was just mostly alot of unenchanted Dadatic gear and a bunch of those heavy Welkgard crystals(I make better restore magic potions them them anyway) but that is not cool.
Well as far as the fighters guild quest, I ONLY did one the one were you go to that cave to clear it of trolls and all my fellow guild members died:) what city should I go to to continue?
I was wondering if I start to close gates what is the chance I will run into another one of those Protection from magic sigil stones? I got one and Stupidly used it on a weapon instead of armor.

JCBossman said:
I was wondering if I start to close gates what is the chance I will run into another one of those Protection from magic sigil stones? I got one and Stupidly used it on a weapon instead of armor.

Save right before you grab the Sigil Stone. Then, if you don't like the powers it gives you, load it back up and try again. Powers are assigned randomly for each stone.

That said, I found plenty of items that gave me protection from magic/poison/disease throughout the game.

Although I never did get my question answered as to why I could still become a vamire while wearing a Protection from Disease 100% Ring. :lol

Core407

Banned
Kung Fu Jedi said:
Save right before you grab the Sigil Stone. Then, if you don't like the powers it gives you, load it back up and try again. Powers are assigned randomly for each stone.

That said, I found plenty of items that gave me protection from magic/poison/disease throughout the game.

Although I never did get my question answered as to why I could still become a vamire while wearing a Protection from Disease 100% Ring. :lol

I've never even used one of those stones. What exactly do they do? They're just sitting in a cabinet somewhere.

raYne

JCBossman said:
Well as far as the fighters guild quest, I ONLY did one the one were you go to that cave to clear it of trolls and all my fellow guild members died:) what city should I go to to continue?
Is that the one where you deliver the weapons? If so, I think you should be doing the "Rat Problem" Quest now. That should be in Anvil

Sigil stones are random. The next time you play through an Oblivion gate, just save right before you grab the stone. After you pick it up, if it's not the one you want just reload your file and pick it up again... the effect will change. Repeat process 'till you get what you want.

Core407 said:
I've never even used one of those stones. What exactly do they do? They're just sitting in a cabinet somewhere.
You just use them to enchant anything you want with the included power. One time usage.

MMaRsu

Kung Fu Jedi said:

Heh bought a lowlevel spell in Cheydinhall and casted the open easy lock spell on a door for like 30 times :lol Now it's up to lvl 30 so thx :D

Zaphod

I think I may have broke a quest. I can only find 4 of Garriedan's Tears for S'drassa the crystal collector. Am I missing something? I've searched the Frostfire Grove high and low and still no extra tear. Anyone else have this problem or am I missing something?

Core407

Banned
Zaphod said:
I think I may have broke a quest. I can only find 4 of Garriedan's Tears for S'drassa the crystal collector. Am I missing something? I've searched the Frostfire Grove high and low and still no extra tear. Anyone else have this problem or am I missing something?

Just keep looking. I had a hard time finding one of the tears myself.

GhaleonEB

Zaphod said:
Walk around, staring down, veeeeerrrrrryyyy slowly. Took me 45 minutes.

Also, use a lighting spell on yourself. The light will improve the contrast between the tears and the ground textures.

Top Bottom