• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion |OT|

No6

I downloaded SI and have made it to the first hovel town (haven't even done the gatekeeper yet), but before I continue, should I go back to Cyrrodil and finish all the guild quests (I'm ~60-80% done with all guilds, at various points with each. Not too far into DB, though) and some or all of the main quest prior to doing SI? I like what I've seen in SI so far, but I'm afraid my standards will be raised in SI and the original content won't be as much fun.

GhaleonEB

No6 said:
I downloaded SI and have made it to the first hovel town (haven't even done the gatekeeper yet), but before I continue, should I go back to Cyrrodil and finish all the guild quests (I'm ~60-80% done with all guilds, at various points with each. Not too far into DB, though) and some or all of the main quest prior to doing SI? I like what I've seen in SI so far, but I'm afraid my standards will be raised in SI and the original content won't be as much fun.
Personally - yes. SI is superior to the main game in a number of ways (enemy design, creativity of quests, quest branching, dungeon design). In my experience, after going through the main game, it feels like dessert. Unless you like to have dessert first. But You can always hop back and forth as well - that's the beauty of the expansion and Oblivion in general, you never get locked into one path. Mixing it up for variety might be fun.

XSamu

Banned
No6 said:
Stop player Shivering Isles. First finish everything in the Cyrodiil. Earn all the achievements, then go play Shivering Isles. Personally I think Shivering Isles is better then the main game.

Just had to fight against a copy of myself! Awesome! But I was a cowered en summoned a Dark Seducer and a Flesh Atronach :lol

Kabouter

GhaleonEB said:
You can put stuff in any chest, but it's only permenant if the chest is in a house you own. So...
Not entirely true, there are various chests throughout the world that don't auto-refresh.
Many do, but some don't.

Oh, and screenshot time :):

GhaleonEB said:
I blame you personally for advocating Horse Armor so heavily. Look what it lead to!

(For those of you new to this thread - I'm joking.)

I actually bought TWO sets of Horse Armor to be sure that Steve and Vark could eat that month. :D

I got SI yesterday for PC. Extremely pleased.

I was wondering around and I ventured into this settlement, full of doubles of its inhabitants. One guy asked me to kill the doubles. Too bad a giant bug came out of the wilderness and killed him. So I switched sides.
:lol

XSamu

Banned
Ok so I finished the mainquest, few things I would've liked (in spoiler):
-A room for me, the Madman, with exposition boxes and chests where I could put all of my stuff
-I wanted to become a Deadric Prince, with God powers :(
-Why can't my entertainment dance, I want to have some good dancers, strippers plz xD

There must be more, but that's all I can think of atm

raYne

FlyinJ said:
Where the heck can I find sweet rolls?
I found some in one of the small outskirt towns, but I already forgotten the name. It should be in the northeast... wherever it was that you need to collect specimens for some lady. They were in "--- Runs in Circles" house.

Too bad by that point I had already got annoyed by searching and went back to Cyrodiil for some. :lol

edit:
The town is High Cross in Mania. As I said, look in "Runs in Circles" home.

I'm a level 33 Wood Elf thief born under The Thief with mastery of sneak and marksman wearing the Grey Cowl of Nocturnal, Morag Tong boots and greaves, 65% chameleon and do I enjoy my job? Are you kidding me? I LOVE my job. There simply is nothing better than taking down an entire dungeon from the cover of darkness with my arrows of justice...or INjustice, depending on what mood I happen to be in. Glorious, really. Truly beyond the capacity of meer mortals to comprehend. By the time you realize I'm there, it's far too late, you're already dead. *disappears into the shadows*

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ummm

i became a vampire...

and this is bullshit. i read up on how you have to get rid of this shit, and it looks really really annoying. I didn't even know you can turn into a vampire, and i read that you could have gotten rid of it easily by drinking something that i got AFTER becoming a vampire

::pout::

does anyone have any tips on the process of getting rid of vampirism?

purg3

slept with Malkin
davepoobond said:
ummm

i became a vampire...

and this is bullshit. i read up on how you have to get rid of this shit, and it looks really really annoying. I didn't even know you can turn into a vampire, and i read that you could have gotten rid of it easily by drinking something that i got AFTER becoming a vampire

Not much you can do, other than the long boring quest for the cure. It sucks.

TheFallen

davepoobond said:
ummm

i became a vampire...

Well, if you had the Vampire lair DLC i'm 100% positive you could remove it immediately, but from the looks of it you're on PS3. There's also the Knights of the Nine pilgrimage to all alters and then praying at the priory which I believe cures Vampirism (could be wrong).

davepoobond said:
ummm

i became a vampire...

You can also play the game as a vampire you know. For a lot of people its not much fun, but I also know some who think it's great. You have to feed regularly, but you can play the whole game as a vampire.

I've never had to do the vampire quest, but it's universally seen as long, boring, and annoying.

X26

Banned
I liked being a vampire at first. Sneaking into peoples homes at ngiht to feed, avoiding the light when I was at a later stages of vampirism, the visual change in your characters appearence. I got bored of the hassle after awhile (~100 game days or so), and sought the cure...and yea, no kidding about how long, tedious, and boring it was. Have fun!

Just started SI, and I'm loving it. It really feels like a next-gen Morrowind. The NPCs have so much more character, everything looks better and more detailed, the weapon/armor crafting is more fun than just buying stuff, and the landscape is more interesting to explore. Too bad this is it as far as expansions.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Trust me, the benefits of being a vamp highly out-weigh the detriments. I went from my low 20's in level all the way to now level 47 as a vampire and I'm loving it. I never feed, ever. I stand in the entrance of caves and laugh at the sunlight. Yes, it does burn me, but that's what waiting for dusk is for.

(one addendum to this, I finished up all major questlines except DB before turning vamp. I have no doubt one could do all the quests this way, but I didn't want to have to worry about doing them all at night so I waited. I think for my next character I'll start from scratch and become a vamp immediately)

XSamu said:
I've got vacation and I play a lot. I think I spent 20-25 hours in total. But I can't find any other quests.

How about exploring dungeons/fortesses/random caves? There should still be some of that to do. And Bethesda has said all along the expansion would be about 30 hours in length.

Kabouter

XSamu said:
I've got vacation and I play a lot. I think I spent 20-25 hours in total. But I can't find any other quests.
20-25 isn't a lot though, remember this is a 30e expansion pack. I paid 45 for the collector's edition of the regular game when it came out. Pretty disappointing if it's that short. Still, I'll easily buy it of course, more Oblivion = a good thing :p.

XSamu

Banned
Kabouter said:
20-25 isn't a lot though, remember this is a 30e expansion pack. I paid 45 for the collector's edition of the regular game when it came out. Pretty disappointing if it's that short. Still, I'll easily buy it of course, more Oblivion = a good thing :p.
Yeah it is, but it was awesome :)
Kung Fu Jedi said:
How about exploring dungeons/fortesses/random caves? There should still be some of that to do. And Bethesda has said all along the expansion would be about 30 hours in length.
Yeah exploring dungeons is nice, but I want quests to fill those 30 hours, not random exploring.

XSamu said:
Yeah exploring dungeons is nice, but I want quests to fill those 30 hours, not random exploring.

I tend to break up some time between quests with dungeon crawls. It helps to add a little variety, but yeah, when it's the ONLY thing left, it can be a bit tedious.

Sqorgar

Banned
XSamu said:
I kinda have the idea I've already done everything in Shivering Isles...
Browse through the strategy guide. There's several quests that don't have obvious triggers, as well as a few collection quests that I would think would take a while without the aid of (ironically) the strategy guide. I say browse because it somehow feels wrong to buy a $20 guide to a $30 game.

Sqorgar said:
Browse through the strategy guide. There's several quests that don't have obvious triggers, as well as a few collection quests that I would think would take a while without the aid of (ironically) the strategy guide. I say browse because it somehow feels wrong to buy a $20 guide to a $30 game.

:lol Yeah, somehow that does feel wrong!

One of the very few stategy guides I ever bought was for Daggerfall. Damn that game was so great.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Big Nate said:
(one addendum to this, I finished up all major questlines except DB before turning vamp. I have no doubt one could do all the quests this way, but I didn't want to have to worry about doing them all at night so I waited. I think for my next character I'll start from scratch and become a vamp immediately)

i'm basically just starting..

i've found the quest i need to do, but so far i've just been feeding on those dillholes at the Imperial City Arena cause of the way they talk to you and Ocheeva at the Dark Brotherhood when she sleeps haah

oh yeah, i also joined the Dark Brotherhood, and went up to level 7. I was Level 1 for pretty much the whole game until yesterday when i found out if you actually SLEEP you gain levels, as well as visitors and vampirism. :p

is there a level cap?

GhaleonEB

Sooo - I'm headed back to Cyrodiil for a bit. Gotta get into the Mage's Guild and enchant some weapons with fire/ice damage and some armor with feather. I wish Shivering Isles had an enchanting shrine and a place to keep my stuff.

I just hit level 10 and individual creatures are RAPING ME. Hard. Each fight is dangerous one. Those guys that turn invisible haunt my dreams. :(

GhaleonEB said:
Sooo - I'm headed back to Cyrodiil for a bit. Gotta get into the Mage's Guild and enchant some weapons with fire/ice damage and some armor with feather. I wish Shivering Isles had an enchanting shrine and a place to keep my stuff.

I just hit level 10 and individual creatures are RAPING ME. Hard. Each fight is dangerous one. Those guys that turn invisible haunt my dreams. :(

The challenge is definitely there in Shivering Isles. Back in Cyrodill my 40th level character basically walked through everything, but I'm put to the challenge in the Isles. Especially facing off against those Knights. You know the ones! ;)

GHG

Gold Member
Ok, I'm about 20 hours into this game now on my 1st playthrough. I've joined all of the major guids (Arena, Mages, Thiefs, Fighters) apart from the Dark Brotherhood. Today I spent about half an hour trying to murder someone so that I could be granted access but no luck. Each time I got busted by a guard somehow. So whats the deal? How do I do it? I can't do it once I've broken into someones house because it will be against the Thief's guild. My character is at Level 4 at the moment. Is that high enough to kill someone without getting caught? I've also tried putting poison on my sword but its still not helping. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a special way to do this?

raYne

GHG said:
Ok, I'm about 20 hours into this game now on my 1st playthrough. I've joined all of the major guids (Arena, Mages, Thiefs, Fighters) apart from the Dark Brotherhood. Today I spent about half an hour trying to murder someone so that I could be granted access but no luck. Each time I got busted by a guard somehow. So whats the deal? How do I do it? I can't do it once I've broken into someones house because it will be against the Thief's guild. My character is at Level 4 at the moment. Is that high enough to kill someone without getting caught? I've also tried putting poison on my sword but its still not helping. Is there something I'm missing? Or is there a special way to do this?
Level doesn't matter, and you don't have to kill someone in any of the main cities. Just go to one of the random towns on the outskirts and kill someone there. Just remember, it needs to be an actual person and not some bandit.

Since there are no guards in those, it'll be a lot easier. Make sure to kill them while in sneak mode (from behind while crouching). This serves two purposes:

-You get a 6x damage bonus for sword strikes (single handed) or a 3x bonus for arrow hits.
-While in sneak mode you'll be able to tell if anyone's looking at you just be the crosshair "eye" being open. If it's greyed out, you're fine. If it's yellow, don't attack.

davepoobond said:
oh yeah, i also joined the Dark Brotherhood, and went up to level 7. I was Level 1 for pretty much the whole game until yesterday when i found out if you actually SLEEP you gain levels, as well as visitors and vampirism. :p

is there a level cap?
The actual level cap is around 255, but no one will reach that by any normal means.

You'd pretty much have to have made the worst possible character ever... ie a thief with no thieving skills at all or a fighter with no fighting skills. That way your main skills wouldn't level up as quickly, so the others would have more time to develop. Then after that you'd have to do glitch work to get up there.

In normal gameplay with an properly made character, by the mid 40s your level gaining will slow down considerably. Almost to a crawl. So most players you've seen will finish the game (ie most/all Quests) done around that level.

GhaleonEB

davepoobond said:
is there a level cap?
You go up levels when your seven Major Skills gain a total of ten notches. So in theory, you can level until all seven are maxed out at 100. Practically, most people seem to peak around the mid to late-30's. Which means KFJ is at 40 or so.

GHG

Gold Member
raYne said:
Level doesn't matter, and you don't have to kill someone in any of the main cities. Just go to one of the random towns on the outskirts and kill someone there. Just remember, it needs to be an actual person and not some bandit.

Since there are no guards in those, it'll be a lot easier. Make sure to kill them while in sneak mode (from behind while crouching). This serves two purposes:

-You get a 6x damage bonus for sword strikes (single handed) or a 3x bonus for arrow hits.
-While in sneak mode you'll be able to tell if anyone's looking at you just be the crosshair "eye" being open. If it's greyed out, you're fine. If it's yellow, don't attack.

Ok, thanks for the tips, I'll try them later

MGrant

My Dark Brotherhood invite came after

(Arena Quest spoiler)
I killed the arena grand champion, who had given up on life after I exposed his father's vampirism.

It's an easier way since you can do it while completing another major quest tree.

GHG

Gold Member
MGrant said:
My Dark Brotherhood invite came after

(Arena Quest spoiler)
I killed the arena grand champion, who had given up on life after I exposed his father's vampirism.

It's an easier way since you can do it while completing another major quest tree.

Ah, I was wondering when I should get round to doing that quest for him (the Grey Prince right?) because he did say I'd get some special abilities if I did it for him. I'll do that next then and see how it goes.

Xenon

So after the game crashed on me, I reset and cleared my cache(360:hold A button during startup) I went into a dungeon and all seemed well but I did see some glowing orbs that seem to be glitches. The dungeon was pretty empty and the loot was almost nil. So, I started heading out to find another place to plunder. Along the way I get attacked by a timber wolf. I figure Ill let him get a few hits in so I can build up my armor repair skill, big mistake. After the first hit I was pretty much his chew toy. I couldn't block, attack, cast or run away. So after trying everything I could to get free he pushes me into some rocks. He gets stuck for a second giving me enough time to light him up with some fireballs, plus 5-6 hits with my mace after he was dead.

So I make it to another cave and the same thing happens with every monster that gets a hit on me. I also notice that all the loot is sparce and everytime I try to repair armor the hammer breaks. My spells also see to do less damage. I checked my active effects and nothing bad. I went to a church for blessings. I rested for days all without any improvement. My Luck says 55 But it seems like its at 0.

Anyone see anything like this?

raYne

joelseph said:
If I am just starting can I go straight to SI at a low level? Or would you recommend I stay in old world while I level a bit?
Depends.. Do you find running for your life constantly fun.

You can do it, but I'd recommend against it.

purg3

slept with Malkin
joelseph said:
If I am just starting can I go straight to SI at a low level? Or would you recommend I stay in old world while I level a bit?

you can start SI at anytime since the game scales to your character lvl

raYne

Great Rumbler said:
That's what 92% chameleon and 100 Sneak is for!
Neither of which you have at low levels. ;)

I have 120 sneak and 30 second invisibility hotkeyed. I tried out 100% chameleon, but that's beyond cheating. :lol

purg3

slept with Malkin
Is there any bonus to wearing an entire suit of armor made from all of the different madness ore matrices? I'm really not digging the new armor sets in SI. The amber armor looks crappy and doesnt seem too much better than glass, and I'm not a fan of heavy armor either until I get that skill a lot higher.

GreekWolf

Wowzers, I don't know how anyone can blow through Shivering Isles in 25 hours. I guess it just depends on your playing style. I tend to poke around and explore the countryside, savoring all the flora and fauna along the way.

Well, I take that back. A friend of mine is a power gamer (the kind who had to be the first to race to level 50 on his Everquest server) and actually blew through all the questlines in the orignal game in about two and a half days. I'm sure he'd have no problems getting through the expansion in a couple hours.

raYne

purgeface said:
Is there any bonus to wearing an entire suit of armor made from all of the different madness ore matrices? I'm really not digging the new armor sets in SI. The amber armor looks crappy and doesnt seem too much better than glass, and I'm not a fan of heavy armor either until I get that skill a lot higher.
Not as far as I've seen. I made a full magical set, including weapons to go with them, but seeing as they're heavy armor I just took it back to Cyrodiil and stuck it in my armor collection. Admittedly, I didn't spend any time experimenting with it, but I figured it might've come in handy futher down the line. So far it seems I guessed wrong.

Other than the Golden Saint's armor (which I can't get), the only other thing I like is the Order Priest's robe/helmet. That's all sort of badass, so I took it. :D

Top Bottom