• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
I wish Gamestop in the US would break the date as well. Would be nice to pick up my copy early tomorrow. No way in hell that will happen, though.

Rookie

Neo Member
Einbroch said:
My brother is confirming this as well. He's out the door apparently and flooring it before they change their mind.

I'll have my EB Games Special Edition soon, so glad I pre ordered it.. on my way back for the 4 hours I have to slug through work before I get to take this puppy home.

Dmax3901

My housemate has gone to pick up his hard copy from JB HI FI, it's PC so he won't be able to play til 1am like me but still, dat manual/map.

zethren

Banned
JetBlackPanda said:
I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Apparently, installing the game will cause the textures on your character's armor and weapons to lessen in quality after a certain amount of time. I think the most reasonable theory thus far (posted by another user some amount of pages back) is that the game downgrades the textures on your character when you go into your menu system, so as to not slow down the menu functionality, and having the game installed on your HDD prevents the textures from upgrading back to normal. Some weird bug that will hopefully be addressed sooner than later.

zethren said:
Apparently, installing the game will cause the textures on your character's armor and weapons to lessen in quality after a certain amount of time. I think the most reasonable theory thus far (posted by another user some amount of pages back) is that the game downgrades the textures on your character when you go into your menu system, so as to not slow down the menu functionality, and having the game installed on your HDD prevents the textures from upgrading back to normal. Some weird bug that will hopefully be addressed sooner than later.

Interesting! Thanks for the info.

Hyphen

reektann said:
Things are hotting up over here in the UK for the London midnight launch - just saw this dude already sat outside Game, waiting for Skyrim in quite a fancy hat.

photodzurr.jpg

Already!? I really hope he is a 'one-off'. Please UK Gaf, don't get there too early. My old bones can't take the cold for too long, so I don't plan to get there too early... :eek:)

ironcreed

Banned
Nezabyte said:
Pete Hines said there shouldn't be issues with textures. One user claimed it might be due to pirated versions:

phpmu5l.png

This is reassuring. I kind of thought pirated versions may be the culprit for this issue. I normally never install 360 games anyway, but may do it with Skyrim just to see.

zethren

Banned
CyReN said:
So do any reviews come out at midnight or are they all 5am pacific time for tomorrow?

Embargo lifts 8am EST, so none should be coming out at midnight.

This thread is going to be moving ridiculously fast tomorrow.

TheNiX said:
If you pre-order it, why bother lining up? Sit in your toasty car while the line clears and then pick up your copy.
I do this all the time. I'm way too cool for the midnight release crowd. Some dude burst into tears after getting Halo 3 back in the day, I can't be associated with that shit.

Nezabyte said:
Pete Hines said there shouldn't be issues with textures. One user claimed it might be due to pirated versions:

phpmu5l.png

Yeah remember when GTA4 leaked? So many videos on youtube of terrible unloaded textures while driving around that didn't appear in the retail game.

riskVSreward said:
I do this all the time. I'm way too cool for the midnight release crowd. Some dude burst into tears after getting Halo 3 back in the day, I can't be associated with that shit.
I remember going with my roomie so he could pick up Reach on launch day. I felt stupid even though I wasn't buying anything.

Seth C

WoodenLung said:
Yeah remember when GTA4 leaked? So many videos on youtube of terrible unloaded textures while driving around that didn't appear in the retail game.

If that's the case then we have a few people in this thread that will end up banned.

ironcreed

Banned
riskVSreward said:

I am just going to walk in and pick my copy up early Friday morning. As bad as I want this game, I just don't do the midnight release thing. Never have.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Nezabyte said:

phpmu5l.png

Awesome, good to know. I always install my games to the HD since I can't stand the sound of the 360's disc spinning. So damn loud.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The texture issue is also seen with physical copies that broke the street date (as some users in this thread are playing with). Unless we've got a lot of pirates up in hea'.

Unicorn

ironcreed said:
I am just going to walk in and pick my copy up early Friday morning. As bad as I want this game, I just don't do the midnight release thing. Never have.
They're pretty worthless unless you plan an all-nighter. I always just play for an hour or two, then pass out.

BlueTsunami said:
The texture issue is also seen with physical copies that broke the street date (as some users in this thread are playing with). Unless we've got a lot of pirates up in hea'.
Don't we have a few shots of the actual game? I highly doubt it's a piracy issues, especially when it only came from a user replying to the twitter message.

zethren

Banned
Unicorn said:
They're pretty worthless unless you plan an all-nighter. I always just play for an hour or two, then pass out.

I'm going to be working the midnight launch, so I'll have to be there whether I want to or not.

I would pick it up at midnight regardless. ;P

ironcreed

Banned
BlueTsunami said:

LOL, I guess I am just going to have to see for myself on this one. All of this back and forth has my head spinning. At the end of the day, I'll probably just pop it in and play it off the disk like I usually do anyway. However, I will say that of all the leaked footage I have seen, I have not seen this issue occur one time.

Seth C said:
If that's the case then we have a few people in this thread that will end up banned.

Didn't mean to imply anyone in here was pirating it, sorry. Lets not put it beyond Bethesda to have some crazy bug like that where it will refuse to load textures around you. :p

Seth C

TheNiX said:
Don't we have a few shots of the actual game? I highly doubt it's a piracy issues, especially when it only came from a user replying to the twitter message.

I noticed a lot of the early shots in the thread were always just boxes with inserts, already unwrapped. Never shrinkwrapped, never discs. Didn't say anything, but inside I was curious.

Unicorn

zethren said:
I'm going to be working the midnight launch, so I'll have to be there whether I want to or not.

I would pick it up at midnight regardless. ;P
I will admit though, waking up at 6 am from excitement, but not having a Gamestop open to get the game sucks. In the past I would just get it at midnight from Wal-Mart.

Skyrim is one of those games that a midnight grab would be worth it.

Seth C said:
I noticed a lot of the early shots in the thread were always just boxes with inserts, already unwrapped. Never shrinkwrapped, never discs. Didn't say anything, but inside I was curious.
I recall one shot of two copies still shrinkwrapped. Not to say I don't think some people pirated it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TheNiX said:

Yeah, the comment about piracy just comes off as dismissive even though its similar to GTAIV issue. I guess we'll all find out on D-Day.

DangerStepp

Unicorn said:
Yeah, I think I last did it with Fallout 3; my first and last time. I pretty much created my character, did the tutorial and then went to bed.

It leaves you with blue balls if you have to work the next day.

CushVA said:
"Twenty-twenty-twenty four hours to go....."
"I wanna be sedated..."

ElyrionX

So it's one perk per level right? And you stop getting perks at level 50? So, 50 perks and destruction alone has 17 perks to take. WTF. My sneaky backstabbing destruction assassin mage is going to be hard to build.

Emitan

Which organs are the least valuable but sell well on the black market? Or I guess I could trade in games or something...

Well GAF, I'm signing off for the long weekend. It's been fun with the hype and this OT. I'll post again once I've sunk a good 20 hours into Skyrim, with my Thief.

Good luck fellow adventurers.

Unicorn

disappeared said:
Well GAF, I'm signing off for the long weekend. It's been fun with the hype and this OT. I'll post again once I've sunk a good 20 hours into Skyrim, with my Thief.

Good luck fellow adventurers.
I'll have fun waiting for email with my key for the preload on steam (going on 4 hours of waiting now...)

My Dunmer Necromancer awaits....

Einbroch

Banned
ElyrionX said:
So it's one perk per level right? And you stop getting perks at level 50? So, 50 perks and destruction alone has 17 perks to take. WTF. My sneaky backstabbing destruction assassin mage is going to be hard to build.
Unless you're going for everything, focus on one spell type (fire/frost/electric) and save yourself the 7 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom