• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrio said:
Wait huh? I thought this was suppose to be a new engine? Am I that far outta the loop?

They gave it a new name, but it's basically a tweaked Gamebryo from what I understand.
Who cares? If they want to keep updating the same engine ala Source, good for them.

Ferrio

Banned
civilstrife said:
They gave it a new name, but it's basically a tweaked Gamebryo from what I understand.
Who cares? If they want to keep updating the same engine ala Source, good for them.

Cause of the stutter.

Game looks pretty great so far, no jittering or serious bugs so far.. or I should say no 'bugs' but a couple of glitches. The things that are wrong are the things you can guess - horrible animation, characters floating through ground, and the famous Bethesda 'lol testing' attitude to engine stability.

But I'm playing the 360 version, installed. Its smooth, loads quickly. Nice smell, class act alllll around.

SRTtoZ said:
Looks like a modded Morrowind stream...still cool, but not Skyrim.
Greg Kasavin will be doing the 12hr Skyrim marathon in about 8 hours. They are doing a look at Morrowind and Oblivion in the meantime.

Antagon

fanboi said:
Which version is Giantbomb streaming?

I'm guessing this is the XBOX version. Don't know what kind of PC they would get such shitty framerate with. Especially what kind of modern machine.

Why are they playing Morrowind though?

Pezking

Nezabyte said:
Pete Hines said there shouldn't be issues with textures. One user claimed it might be due to pirated versions:

phpmu5l.png

I find that hard to believe...some German shops started shipping the game as soon as Monday, and I've read many hand-on impressions about those texture problems on the 360 since then. Even here in this thread people who already had the game early reported the texture bugs, tried clearing the cache, etc...

I really don't think this problem is related to pirated copies.

SRTtoZ

Antagon said:
I'm guessing this is the XBOX version. Don't know what kind of PC they would get such shitty framerate with. Especially what kind of modern machine.

No its PC (modded, crashed already lol). If I remember correctly the game always ran like shit. I havent played the game in YEARS but I remember it running like crap several years after release on good PC's.

Fjordson

SRTtoZ said:
Very positive. The negatives were "Bugs"
Well, can't say I wasn't expecting that. Nice.

Antagon said:

PC version modded to hell. Skyrim is technically still embargoed 'till 5 AM I believe. This is just lead up to their Skyrim marathon with Greg Kasavin.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
The_Player said:
Oh, you, choices! What version should I buy? Superior PC, or PS3 with ComfyCouch™?

I remember playing Fallout 3 on PS3. Graphics were fine (miles worse than on PC) and the game was pretty stable. Being used to PC gaming I didn't mind the console locking occasionaly. But Bethesda's game without mods down the line isn't worth 60-70$ you will pay for it (until you end up with a free review version of course).

SparkTR

Antagon said:
I don't know if you've played the Xbox version of Morrowind lately but it's a blurry, laggy, ugly mess that is barely tolerable these days. It in no way looks like the version in the stream, even with the bad FPS.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I finally cracked. Steam now pre-loading. I haven't bought a full price game in Steam for ages.

/takes cold shower...

Gravijah said:
the version that fits you best.
subversus said:
I remember playing Fallout 3 on PS3. Graphics were fine (miles worse than on PC) and the game was pretty stable. Being used to PC gaming I didn't mind the console locking occasionaly. But Bethesda's game without mods down the line isn't worth 60-70$ you will pay for it (until you end up with a free review version of course).
I was supa great with Xbox360 version of Oblivion. I tried to finish it a 5-6 times, and my longest progress with the main story was just on console, not PC. I'm a bit sad to admit that Bethesda's games feels and plays better on consoles rather than on PC. And mods... I don't like to play with'em (except OOo, it was great).
If both PC and PS3 version costs the same, it would be a no-brainer. But in reality, PC version 3 times cheaper than PS3 one, so I'm still not confident.

Antagon said:

They are streaming. Streams rarely run at good framerates as it's incredibly taxing on your CPU. It's also obviously modded and running at a good resolution.

liezryou

Twinduct said:
Mayhap you know of a Free/ Open AUS VPN? :DS<

liezryou said:
I tried, but couldn't find one that worked. I paid 1.99 for 3 days for VPN for MW3 activation early and it just happened to be active until skyrim activation :p.

vpntraffic.com

And tried referring to a free aus vpn. I think you can also pay .99c for 1 day on that site but u have to contact them not instapaypal get o_O.

stephen08

Is there some kind of resource for planning out your character? I'd like to get a jump on deciding my skills, attributes, race, etc. rather than deciding once I get the game and am itching to play it.

I didn't see anything like that linked in the OP so forgive me if this has been discussed yet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I stole all of the mead in the meadery. Buhuhuhu.

Augemitbutter said:
any word on third person gameplay, is it bearable?
It's bearable, yeah, but I still don't recommend it. It looks good, but the game just isn't built for it. I also don't really like the new shifting perspective, give me back my vanity mode. :'(

Guys, there's definitely a texture issue if you're installing it on the 360. If Pete Hines says there isn't, he's wrong. I have a legit copy in my hands, so all that "pirated copies get shafted"-crap is bull.

Bk9FX.jpg

Let's see if I get a response.

Twinduct

liezryou said:
And tried referring to a free aus vpn. I think you can also pay .99c for 1 day on that site but u have to contact them not instapaypal get o_O.

OK cool thanks .. missed it earlier :p ... gah might just wait. Need to look after my gran anyway

cyberheater said:
The bastard. Now I need to set up the Aus VPN and I'm good to go.

Lol, one day, hats will be an accepted currency at shops!

AdventChild

Neo Member
Just a question.

hdd install: bad textures loading
not install: good textures loading
usb install: good textures loading

Its that right????

Donat

Neo Member
AdventChild said:
Just a question.

hdd install: bad textures loading
not install: good textures loading
usb install: good textures loading

Its that right????

I still don't think it has anything to do with installing it. I made a quick video showing the bug, please excuse the bad quality but I only have my cellphone right now. Will do a better one later.
Blue Ninja, could you maybe try and replicate it the way I triggerd it?

Wanace

I wanted to post this again, I sent it to INDIGLO_CYCLOPS because he asked and signed up for the Astrill VPN free trial, http://www.astrill.com

I can't remember if it asks for your card info for the free trial or not, but I do know that it doesn't auto-charge you at the end of the trial.

I use Astrill every day living in China and I have found it to be a great VPN if you're actually in the market for one.

Below are the instructions for using it on Steam once you've signed up.

Sure, the easiest way I found is to download the "Astrill L2TP Dialer" which is actually a link below the main links on the download page.

When you load it up it should look like this:

UvW52.png

Before you log in, make sure you are exited from Steam.

From there enter your username and password and choose PPTP.

Load up the Australia server (since that's where Skyrim will unlock the earliest).

Log in to Steam, and you should be able to unlock Skyrim at 12 AM 11/11/11 Australian time. If it's not yet that time, you can go to the store page to see how much longer you have to go.

From there you can go to offline mode in Steam to play if you want to disconnect from the VPN, or stay online if you remain connected to the VPN (not quite so sure about this step. At the very least you should be connected to the Australia server or offline until it unlocks in your time zone I believe.)

Rookie

Neo Member
Hey Blue Ninja, I remember reading somewhere that arrows are apparently harder to find. Does this match up with what you have experienced? Or are they easily purchased through vendors?

I am sitting in character creation at the moment on my copy

Rookie said:
Hey Blue Ninja, I remember reading somewhere that arrows are apparently harder to find. Does this match up with what you have experienced? Or are they easily purchased through vendors?

I am sitting in character creation at the moment on my copy
Iron arrows are on pretty much every bandit you come across. I have about 200 of 'em in my inventory. They pack a lot of punch, too.

Higher-level arrows are a lot more difficult to find, though most weapons merchants occasionally have a few in stock.

Playing on ps3 and the framerate definitely doesn't hold 30 consistently, close enough though and after a while i wasnt bothered. The atmosphere of the world is really something, i normally move through games like this pretty quickly but with skyrim i love soaking everything in.

Rookie

Neo Member
Blue Ninja said:
Iron arrows are on pretty much every bandit you come across. I have about 200 of 'em in my inventory. They pack a lot of punch, too.

Higher-level arrows are a lot more difficult to find, though most weapons merchants occasionally have a few in stock.

Cheers Mate, I appreciate it.

Bosmer it is... !

AdventChild

Neo Member
Donat said:
I still don't think it has anything to do with installing it. I made a quick video showing the bug, please excuse the bad quality but I only have my cellphone right now. Will do a better one later.
Blue Ninja, could you maybe try and replicate it the way I triggerd it?

So weird bug :S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom