• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzoram

dragon.jpg

I thought this was amusing.

That said, both games are great. It would be nice if Skyrim stole some of the melee combat mechanics from Dark Souls though. Little things like almost every melee weapon having a different move set are so damn great.

Zeliard

Fjordson said:
Friend got his 360 copy, we've been playing for over fours hours. No texture bug with it installed to the HDD...yet. Game looks and runs great, though I'm still not a big fan of the intro.

*knock on wood*

I can't wait till I'm adventuring through some fjords, son.

So how is the gameplay? particularly the combat?

I swore myself off Bethesda games after New Vegas but I'm willing to give Skyrim a go if the clunky out-dated gameplay from previous Bethesda games has been drastically improved.

Derrick01

Banned
Interfectum said:
You swore yourself off Bethesda games after playing one of the best games this generation?

From a different developer too.

That does it Naughty Dog, I'm done with you guys after Gears 3.

Helmholtz

LowEndTorque said:

I swore myself off Bethesda games after New Vegas but I'm willing to give Skyrim a go if the clunky out-dated gameplay from previous Bethesda games has been drastically improved.
I haven't really used any magic yet, but as far as melee combat goes it's similar to Oblivion but improved in some ways. It takes less time to kill things and thus feels more natural (you don't have to swing mindlessly for minutes to kill something). There are finishing moves that happen once in a while which zoom you out to third person and generally look pretty cool. I'm not sure if they're random or based on some kind of stat, but they seem random so far.
I haven't really fought enough to really give a good impression though, but that's what it seems like so far. Definitely better than Oblivion, but not amazing or anything.

Wallach

Zeliard said:
Did they? The hand-drawn-style maps where you have to actually look for something yourself?

I had a hunch when the "premium map" that came with the game had a bunch of red "X" marks drawn on it.

elwes

Anybody think I'll have any issues picking this up at Kmart tomorrow after work? I have a thirty dollar discount from Arkham City that I got when I bought it there. I never preorder...kind of wishing I did for this game.

Timber

Zeliard said:
Did they? The hand-drawn-style maps where you have to actually look for something yourself?
It's exactly the same as in RDR. Hand-drawn landmarks with a little x marking the spot.

Bethesda, Obsidian, whatever. Same engine, same gameplay mechanics, pretty much the same game as FO3 just a different setting.

So back to my question about the gameplay. How is it?

Fjordson

I think there will be people out there disappointed with the melee combat, hoping for something night and day compared to Oblivion. It still feels a bit stiff to me at times.

What I'm having fun with is the dual wielding aspect. Mixing and matching weapons, shields, and spells is a lot of fun. Very easy to switch around on the fly, too. Actually like the execution animations or whatever they're called as well.

LowEndTorque said:
So back to my question about the gameplay. How is it?
I think it's great. The way you move from place to place, quest to quest, feels so much more natural than Oblivion. Oblivion seemed like it was pushing you to fast travel because of how everything was laid out. This is much better in that regard. Exploration feels more rewarding because the world feels more dense.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Alright. I work 5-11, then I'll swing home to get changed and go up to pick this up for midnight. This shift is either going to help time pass by or be the slowest shift of my life.

webrunner

Do items dissapear like in the Fallout games? Or can you put them in any container forever provided no NPC takes it? Or kust drop things on the floor if I wanted to? I want to make a treasure vault.

Zeliard

Shame Bethesda didn't seem to give much effort towards sprucing up the PC version. Though it's not really disappointing since it isn't surprising at all. It's still dumb that they apparently didn't learn from Oblivion's UI.

IoCaster

Wallach said:
Ah, that is annoying, I know what you mean now. Can you navigate the menu without clicking stuff with the cursor? Like if you navigate with W/S can you just click LMB and activate a menu item on the list or do you still have to directly click stuff with the cursor?

Oh yeah, it's easy enough to just navigate with keys. Like I said it's a bit annoying, but I'm not inclined gnash my teeth or pull my hair out over it. I really hope they can expedite release of the mod tools though. I want to get started on my hideout mod and do some customizing.

Philthy

elwes said:
Anybody think I'll have any issues picking this up at Kmart tomorrow after work? I have a thirty dollar discount from Arkham City that I got when I bought it there. I never preorder...kind of wishing I did for this game.

The last time I had any issues with not preordering something was for some Atlus game or something. Stores generally stockpile huge amounts for the known blockbuster titles.

I like the fact that Best Buy now just puts like 1000 copies of *weeks game of the year* on some crappy fold out table right at the front door now. Saves me a lot of time.

Wallach

IoCaster said:
Oh yeah, it's easy enough to just navigate with keys. Like I said it's a bit annoying, but I'm not inclined gnash my teeth or pull my hair out over it. I really hope they can expedite release of the mod tools though. I want to get started on my hideout mod and do some customizing.

So you can get around in there without actually clicking on stuff with the cursor? I honestly don't know, I'm curious since I'm the kind of guy that prefers doing stuff via keys rather than the mouse when possible. Also does the scroll wheel actually navigate normally in the lists?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've been watching the GB stream and the combat appears seriously improved from the few hours I've spent with Vanilla Oblivion. It's obviously similar but they did something (maybe the kinetic blood splatters?) that make the sense of impact seem much more satisfying.

FINALBOSS

Banned
LowEndTorque said:

Wow, you have some conviction. Lol

Saige

I must do better.
Fjordson said:
I think it's great. The way you move from place to place, quest to quest, feels so much more natural than Oblivion. Oblivion seemed like it was pushing you to fast travel because of how everything was laid out. This is much better in that regard. Exploration feels more rewarding because the world feels more dense.
Could you elaborate on this? I haven’t heard much about it but do you mean that there is actually stuff built into quests to encourage you to just not fast travel to places, or that you would simply miss out on things already put into the world that are not part of the quest by fast travelling.

So, silly question here, kind of but...can any EU player tell me if you can choose language upon installation? I know the game is translated and dubbed but I'd pretty MUCH rather the original voices so, yeah...

IoCaster

Wallach said:
So you can get around in there without actually clicking on stuff with the cursor? I honestly don't know, I'm curious since I'm the kind of guy that prefers doing stuff via keys rather than the mouse when possible. Also does the scroll wheel actually navigate normally in the lists?

It slows things down when navigating by keyboard only so I much prefer to use my mouse. That's the annoying part of it. The scroll wheel is fidgety and sensitive so sometimes you'll have to slide it around to get it to work and when you do it can easily overshoot the mark. Seriously it's just bog standard sloppy UI implementation that I've gotten used to with these PC ports. Not worth the effort to obsess over, but just a simple annoyance. *shrug*

FINALBOSS

Banned
Hawkian said:
I've been watching the GB stream and the combat appears seriously improved from the few hours I've spent with Vanilla Oblivion. It's obviously similar but they did something (maybe the kinetic blood splatters?) that make the sense of impact seem much more satisfying.

It still looks like you're swinging at air though and not cutting flesh.

Zeekaas

Playing on the xbox360 now. Awesome game. My Khajit is made of pure awesomeness. Only have this annoying bug where the arrows stay forever in your body.

AEREC

Does the game have difficulty levels? Im hoping it's challenging and balance enough that it wouldnt need them but every bethesda game before this used difficulty sliders and even at the hardest settings they are never that difficult.

Lakitu

st5fu
Nice pics Blue Ninja.

I guess it was a blessing in disguise I didn't get the game, I hardly would have had time to play going by today.

Tomorrow, everyone who needs me can shoosh, I'm going to play the fuck out of Skyrim :)

Zzoram

Zeliard said:
Shame Bethesda didn't seem to give much effort towards sprucing up the PC version. Though it's not really disappointing since it isn't surprising at all. It's still dumb that they apparently didn't learn from Oblivion's UI.

Oblivion's most popular mod was for the UI.

Why couldn't they do the right thing and just take the changes people obviously wanted in considering when designing Skyrim's UI? It's not like it's that much effort, the mod came out almost immediately and the guy who made it wasn't even being paid.

Zeliard

Zzoram said:

Why couldn't they do the right thing and just take the changes people obviously wanted in considering when designing Skyrim's UI? It's not like it's that much effort, the mod came out almost immediately and the guy who made it wasn't even being paid.

It's incomprehensible.

Wallach

IoCaster said:
It slows things down when navigating by keyboard only so I much prefer to use my mouse. That's the annoying part of it. The scroll wheel is fidgety and sensitive so sometimes you'll have to slide it around to get it to work and when you do it can easily overshoot the mark. Seriously it's just bog standard sloppy UI implementation that I've gotten used to with these PC ports. Not worth the effort to obsess over, but just a simple annoyance. *shrug*

To be really specific, if I highlighted a menu element with W/S, then left-clicked while the cursor was off elsewhere on the screen, would it activate the menu item or do I have to actually use the cursor to activate something with a mouse click?

Also, what I've heard is that a hotkeyed item has specific hands it will default to based on whether it is an item or a spell (spells left hand, weapons right hand). Is that right, eg. spell hotkeys 1 -> 1 -> 2 would give me spell 1 on right hand and spell 2 on left hand?

Zeliard

Wallach I'm cheating on you :(

Going ahead with the VPN. Outside of Dark Souls, it's been a while since I've looked forward to a game like this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zzoram said:

I doubt they were even allowed to do anything but the barest minimum amount of work when it came to the PC version.

Fjordson

Awesome shots, Blue Ninja.

Saige said:
Could you elaborate on this? I haven’t heard much about it but do you mean that there is actually stuff built into quests to encourage you to just not fast travel to places, or that you would simply miss out on things already put into the world that are not part of the quest by fast travelling.
Well, that last point certainly is part of it. This is putting it simply, but on your way to do stuff, you'll often run into more stuff naturally while traveling.

But it's also how things are laid out. Maybe I'm remembering incorrectly, but I recall a lot of quests in Oblivion where you'd be sent to some place super far off from where you currently were. Personally, I found myself wanting to fast travel because of it. You were just being ping-ponged around the map.

This doesn't feel like that. Where people send you makes more sense, you feel like you can get a lot done without ever using fast travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom