• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBig

Where does it show which diseases you've contracted? I ran into some
vampires
and contracted something.
How would I cure it if I caught the one that changes you? Don't want to get stuck like that again.

MrBig said:
Where does it show which diseases you've contracted? I ran into some
vampires
and contracted something.
How would I cure it if I caught the one that changes you? Don't want to get stuck like that again.
Someone said it was in the Magic window. This is all I know.

TheNiX said:
Any more takers on VPN decrypting? I think I've had something like 25-30 people use it so far with success.

I'm a fucking modern day internet crack dealer. JUST ONE HIT! I GOT YOU!
I can confirm that TheNiX is THE MAN!

Been playing the last 3 hours, fucking awesome game... once you get over the retarded mouse accel/smoothing/y-axis sensitivity nonsense.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm engaged but not really enthusiastic about what I'm playing so far. I don't really feel the improvements in Skyrim really play to Bethesda's strengths, or the reason I enjoyed Elder Scrolls games previously. Never wanted quests to be more cinematic and "stand around waiting for the script to play out."

As mentioned, I can't actually play this game with keyboard and mouse, because Bethesda decided to "reserve" the entire numpad and prevent the keys from being rebinded. And I'm left-handed, so that screws me. But would I even want to play with the keyboard if I could? The interface is tremendously gamepad-centric.

Graphically, it looks old and haggard, and it's a very incremental step up from Oblivion.

The crafting stuff's nice and involved.

Magic seems obscenely powerful right from the get-go, but the effects are a nice step up from previous ES games.

Loot seems extremely level-appropriate at all times except for things in display cases, so I'm assuming drops are scaled very heavily.

DoctorZ

Zeliard said:
Gawd, why can't Bethesda get the simple shit right? A PC-centric UI for the PC version is apparently asking for the world.

But we didn't ask, we expected. Devs never give whats expected or truly wanted.

UrbanRats

EviLore said:
I'm engaged but not really enthusiastic about what I'm playing so far. I don't really feel the improvements in Skyrim really play to Bethesda's strengths, or the reason I enjoyed Elder Scrolls games previously. Never wanted quests to be more cinematic and "stand around waiting for the script to play out."

As mentioned, I can't actually play this game with keyboard and mouse, because Bethesda decided to "reserve" the entire numpad and prevent the keys from being rebinded. And I'm left-handed, so that screws me. But would I even want to play with the keyboard if I could? The interface is tremendously gamepad-centric.

Graphically, it looks old and haggard, and it's a very incremental step up from Oblivion.

Magic seems obscenely powerful right from the get-go, but the effects are a nice step up from previous ES games.

Loot seems extremely level-appropriate at all times except for things in display cases, so I'm assuming drops are scaled very heavily.
How far in the game we're talking? (just to get an idea).

Zeliard

Did Oblivion or Fallout 3 pull up a prompt for difficulties at some point? Don't remember. Skyrim doesn't seem to, at least for the opening few bits. I went in the options and changed it manually. Remember to do that for those of you who want to change the difficulty, unless it does end up prompting you after the opening.

L3yN9.jpg

Can anyone playing the game tell me how easy it is to switch from one-hand magic to one-hand unarmed?

Is it the same as switching to a sword?

sp3000

EviLore said:

"stand around waiting for the script to play out" That doesn't sound good.

The graphics look a lot better than Oblivion from the screenshots. Are those pretty much bullshots then?

I hope someone mods the interface quickly because it sucked from what I saw in the trailers. So obviously console designed.

Complistic

TheNiX said:
Any more takers on VPN decrypting? I think I've had something like 25-30 people use it so far with success.

Tempting as hell and I know I'd never get in trouble with steam, but I just can't risk anything with the number of games I have on there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
UrbanRats said:
How far in the game we're talking? (just to get an idea).

Six hours, apparently. Man, time does fly in this game ;b

I'm like level 8 or 9 or something.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Zeliard said:
Go do some guild quests mang. :>

I'm carrying around these super heavy bones while trying to find out who the hell I talk to in order to buy the house in the first city :|

sp3000 said:
"stand around waiting for the script to play out" That doesn't sound good.

The graphics look a lot better than Oblivion from the screenshots. Are those pretty much bullshots then?

Visually it's like Oblivion with mods
A complete mixed bag

kamspy

TheNiX said:

me

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Sooo, I peeked over in the Skyrim PC tweaking thread and I'm gathering that the game's not terribly optimized at all. Sounds like some people with mid level rigs are steamrolling the game while monster machines are having issues. Is this an accurate assessment? I've got a Phenom II Quad Core and a GTX 470 with 8 gigs RAM but I really don't want to have to do a lot of tweaking before digging into the game.

Shambles

ArjanN said:
Really? IMO vanilla Oblivion looks like shit compared to Skyrim

Everyone now has seen all the awesome oblivion mods so much they now think that modded super high res oblivion is what it looked like when it came out.

sp3000

BlazingDarkness said:
Visually it's like Oblivion with mods
A complete mixed bag

Well, does it look worse than Oblivion with mods? Oblivion with high resolution textures and LOD actually looked good, other than the low poly models.

It looks like they are just using a recycled Gamebryo and calling it by another name for marketing purposes.

Druz

EviLore said:

This is an exact description of what I was expecting the reality of this game to play like.

Pollux

EviLore said:

Honestly they look much better IMO, but that's just me and from what I've seen on screen shots. Heading to gamestop in 2 hours to pick up my copy so I'll let you know then (360). Where you expecting anything different it's the same hardware?

They could have had the same graphics as Oblivion but redone the character models and art direction and put in more hand crafted dungeons and better level scaling and I would have been thrilled.

This is an honest question for PC gamers, I've never played a game on PC before just consoles, but why is there such an uproar over textures and things like that? I mean I get that you want the game to look good, but why let a game that has pretty good graphics be "ruined", so to speak, just because the texture package doesn't live up to your expectations? (I'm really not trying to troll)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom