• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baiano19 said:
Actually, I am wondering if I should play Morrowind or Oblivion first,... but this one is the first that looks more appealing to me so I dunno.

I'd say skip them, honestly. I'm sure some people would argue that Morrowind should be played, but you don't need to play either to understand what's going on. Oblivion, just skip it lol. I would say just start off with Skyrim :)

Wallach

Hawkian said:
As correctly predicted by some in this thread, my 360 wireless controller adapter did not make it in time from dealxtreme. Looks like I'll be dropping the X360emu files in the game's folder and hoping it picks up my Dual Impact 2, if it's that brutal playing with mouse and keyboard.

Haha, sorry man. I tried to warn ya, those people operate on Valve time.

Seth C

You know, I'm starting to think it may almost be possible to hit 10k before the game releases in every time zone. It's going to be pretty damned close anyway.

Smash88

Banned
QNDBa.png

And then she was removed.

SRTtoZ

Luthos said:
Also, does anyone know what's up with the gamestop text message? They say to arrive 10pm to finalize payment. I assume that's a stock message, or something to get people to come get places in long lines. Because I already have my fully paid off, and plan to just arrive at midnight to pick it up. (usually they have a separate line for those who don't need to pay)

Yea dont listen to them. They want you to arrive 2 hours early so you can PAY IT OFF, so that once 12am rolls around they just check receipts. Not worth waiting 2+ hours there for IMO. I always show up at like 11:30ish and have no problem getting in and out.

Luthos

Trevelyon said:
About to cop.

What would be a good starting class/what stats should I be pouring into for an ES beginner.
Whatever you want. (there is no class selection)

And I mean that seriously. You are what you play. And there is no "SUPER AWESOME SKILL CHARACTER TYPE BETTER THAN ALL OTHERS". The point of these games, imo, is to just do what you want. Play how you want.

styl3s

Any word on the whole texture thing with the 360? ps3 version is looking like the one i am getting unless they plan on fixing that, having DLC 30 days before hand is a plus but those textures are bleh

Seth C

zmoney said:
just checking...catspause and catsillustrated too lol.

2 more hours!!!!

I really only check Illustrated. I still call it KSR because that's what it was way back when I started posting there.

Pollux

EviLore said:
There are no classes or stats :lol
Is it possible to have a "dual-spec" character?

I really want to have heavy armor wearing shield and sword tank.

But I also want to have a badass mage.

Can I do both or will I just end up with half perk trees and a overall weaker character?

Seth C said:
I really only check Illustrated. I still call it KSR because that's what it was way back when I started posting there.
Ah. I was banned lol. had to start a new one over there. Juelz or someone was saying something stupid a while back and I said some crap to him. leading to a permaban on it.

I'll have to agree the UI is the epitome of a Console UI not even tweaked (seemingly) for the PC KB/M - however, I'm starting to get the hang of it, with things like the Quick Favorites, and quick menus etc. I'll gladly accept UI mods the Darnified, in the future.

Honestly, the game to me looks really great, and a definite step up and improvement over Oblivion. The generic fantasy world is thankfully disposed of with a heavily Nordic inspired land, which I love. Voice acting is better, but I'm already noticing the same voice actors, but at least the lines are more varied. I'm surprised at the variety of random quests I've been getting, and hope it keeps up because some of them are pretty cool.

Sure, it's probably not a perfect game, but just to have another ES game is such an amazing thing, considering all the time I put into Oblivion. I'm making an effort to really absorbe more of the lore this time around.

Oh, and I prefer combat in 3rd person. I'm anxious to get back to playing after a bunch of hours off :(

The Hermit

Piercedveil said:
I'd say skip them, honestly. I'm sure some people would argue that Morrowind should be played, but you don't need to play either to understand what's going on. Oblivion, just skip it lol. I would say just start off with Skyrim :)

whoa, I really did not expected that answer!
thanks, consider it bought :)

SRTtoZ

Seth C said:
Leave a note on the door, sign it, and pray.

Nope, never have I ever.

If you want to be safe though, just print out a note saying to leave it at the door step, make sure you have the tracking info on it and then print and SIGN your name. They will leave it regardless.

Seth C

zmoney said:
Ah. I was banned lol. had to start a new one over there. Juelz or someone was saying something stupid a while back and I said some crap to him. leading to a permaban on it.

Way to go. I've still got my account there, 5,000 and something posts. Not nearly as many as here on NeoGAF though. I'll be cranking over 10,000 soon. I still remember that fateful day when Opa Opa hit 10k.

dyna-soar

I may be the only one here who this happens too, but I get this excited rush when the narrator yells "Dragonborn"! I can't help how awesome it feels when the music is building and growing higher, and the chanting starts, even talking about it now I am holding back excitement. It's so strong of a rush that it even brings a tear to my eye, call me a nancy boy for this excitement but dammit, I just can't help it!

Pollux

Seth C said:
Way to go. I've still got my account there, 5,000 and something posts. Not nearly as many as here on NeoGAF though. I'll be cranking over 10,000 soon. I still remember that fateful day when Opa Opa hit 10k.
**shrug**. It was annoying at first but I deserved it. I was drinking and that never mixes well with message boards.

My GAF account has far more posts than my KSR account did.

Anyway....Back to Skyrim...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Piercedveil said:
Have to agree.

I played about 5 hours of Oblivion over the past couple days, and while it is obviously incredible, what it really demonstrated to me was how much of a better experience Skyrim seems to be, especially for new players.

Gvaz

Banned
Zeliard said:
One thing I immediately noticed in the opening is the character animation - specifically, when NPCs walk or run it looks like they're actually doing so on a surface of some sort. Astonishing upgrade.
I noticed that too...and I was in the middle of going "hey they fixed it" only to see the Empire Captain SLLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIDEEEEE into position when she puts her hand on that guy's back to cut his head off.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
dyna-soar said:
I may be the only one here who this happens too, but I get this excited rush when the narrator yells "Dragonborn"! I can't help how awesome it feels when the music is building and growing higher, and the chanting starts, even talking about it now I am holding back excitement. It's so strong of a rush that it even brings a tear to my eye, call me a nancy boy for this excitement but dammit, I just can't help it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY

Durante said:
I hate the phrase, but spellcasting really is more "visceral" than in previous Elder Scrolls games. I'll still miss spell creation a lot though.

One thing I love about the game already is that they actually seem to give some real incentives for playing a pure cloth caster this time around.
Can you elaborate? I was planning on doing a warrior mage with the dark elf. Heavy armor and beastly one armed sword with the other hand doing monstrous destruction magic. Is there a reason to reconsider this?

The game is fantastic. So improved over Oblivion in every aspect. Cannot wait to see where the game goes over the next few months thanks to the modding community.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Squall ASF said:
Can you elaborate? I was planning on doing a warrior mage with the dark elf. Heavy armor and beastly one armed sword with the other hand doing monstrous destruction magic. Is there a reason to reconsider this?

All the mage robes have +50% magicka regen as a baseline attribute, and mage gear in general trades the armor stats for starting out with significant enchantment from the beginning of the game.

mik83kuu

Banned
The engine is so clearly just an updated Gamebryo :-( Unless of course they rewrote the engine as an imitation to Gamebryo...

I really like the game, but it has almost all the usual Bethesda annoyances and bugs.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Noob question.

Just got
my first shout and a dragonstone after completing the golden claw quest
. Am I supposed to be able to use these abilities now?

Also, PC menu controls are fucking god awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom