• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashour

Is there no cloud saving? Played an hour on my laptop, quit the game and waited for syncing but nothing. Went to the games properties and there's no option to enable cloud saving.

That would be very disappointing, as I switch playing between my PC and laptop a lot.

NfoRcEr

Neo Member
For any of those retail workers, Bethesda just put this up on Insiders. I saw it about an hour ago and there were 3200, should still be a good amount left. Steamworks, so it's a steam code and it preloads just like retail.

*edit* just checked, down to 2950 now

Pollux

EviLore said:
I'm carrying around these super heavy bones while trying to find out who the hell I talk to in order to buy the house in the first city :|
Also explain the house buying? How easy is it to make money?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
ArjanN said:
Really? IMO vanilla Oblivion looks like shit compared to Skyrim

I just loaded up vanilla Oblivion last week in an attempt to rush through the game to play Shivering Isles (which I never got around to). I quit after a couple of hours, but damn if it didn't look pretty bad in most areas. The open world terrain was just so barren and full of muddy-textures. I remember being so impressed back in 2006, too.

zlatko

Banned
Don't tase me bros, but is the PC version set up for 360 controller use? Or do I have to run an extra application in order to do so ?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ArjanN said:
Really? IMO vanilla Oblivion looks like shit compared to Skyrim
Yeah I was surprised by that too. Maybe he meant modded Oblivion which can be very beautiful, and would make Skyrim's upgrades seem incremental indeed. But of course one day Skyrim will be ethereally gorgeous on PC...

Wallach

zlatko said:
Don't tase me bros, but is the PC version set up for 360 controller use? Or do I have to run an extra application in order to do so ?

Plug and play, with proper UI swap for 360 controller.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
zlatko said:

Native pick up and play 360 pad support.

Plasma

Banned
zlatko said:

Yes it is, I'm using the controller to play it at the moment.

Pollux

For people on the east coast going to midnight launches...it's 9:30 now, what time should I get there? I'm in Boston.

Zeliard

I didn't spend nearly as much time on the character creator as I was expecting to. Mainly because Dunmer are just all hideous in this game. :p

matt05891

zmoney said:
For people on the east coast going to midnight launches...it's 9:30 now, what time should I get there? I'm in Boston.
11:45 I'm leaving my house to get on the back of the line by 11:55. So what you wait a 10 minute difference verses waiting 4 hours outside.

At least that's how I always do it.

bengraven

Just spent an hour watching a friend play on a system similar to mine, if not a bit less powerful and it looks so fucking good and runs so well that I had to come home and refresh the UPS page over and over again...

Seth C

zmoney said:

I plan to show up at 11:30, but that's at Wal-Mart in Lexington. It's beside a Gamestop so if they don't seem like they will have it out in time I suppose I'll walk over. Gamestop gets everyone to pay between 10 and midnight, so it should go quickly there.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Saige said:
How do you find the melee combat? Do the kill animations and any other changes make it feel that much different from Oblivion?

It does not feel nearly as lame as Oblivion's melee combat, but still has issues with hit reaction and so forth. The kill animations do nothing for me since they're canned rather than interactive.

Stealth and magic are greatly improved in terms of feel in this game though.

Luthos

matt05891 said:
11:45 I'm leaving my house to get on the back of the line by 11:55. So what you wait a 10 minute difference verses waiting 4 hours outside.

At least that's how I always do it.
This. I always leave so I get there at around midnight.

Like you said, I'd rather wait 10-15 minutes (if that), then waiting in a line outside for longer.

EviLore said:
It does not feel nearly as lame as Oblivion's melee combat, but still has issues with hit reaction and so forth. The kill animations do nothing for me since they're canned rather than interactive.

Stealth and magic are greatly improved in terms of feel in this game though.
How has stealth improved? Its been awhile since I've played Oblivion and as much as I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood quests, stealth just felt clunky. Interested to know how they fixed it.

Pollux

Seth C said:
I plan to show up at 11:30, but that's at Wal-Mart in Lexington. It's beside a Gamestop so if they don't seem like they will have it out in time I suppose I'll walk over. Gamestop gets everyone to pay between 10 and midnight, so it should go quickly there.
Ok so since I paid earlier this afternoon I should be able to just walk in and pick up a copy?

Durante

I hate the phrase, but spellcasting really is more "visceral" than in previous Elder Scrolls games. I'll still miss spell creation a lot though.

One thing I love about the game already is that they actually seem to give some real incentives for playing a pure cloth caster this time around.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
TheNiX said:
How has stealth improved? Its been awhile since I've played Oblivion and as much as I enjoyed the Dark Brotherhood quests, stealth just felt clunky. Interested to know how they fixed it.

It's not perfect, but sight and sound are more accurately interpreted, and stealth attacks are suitably powerful now.

Luthos

Also, does anyone know what's up with the gamestop text message? They say to arrive 10pm to finalize payment. I assume that's a stock message, or something to get people to come get places in long lines. Because I already have my fully paid off, and plan to just arrive at midnight to pick it up. (usually they have a separate line for those who don't need to pay)

moojito

Just got through the first dungeon in about 2 and a half hours. I'm getting my mage on. Pew pew! Started off with fire on one hand and lightning on the other, but I'm rolling with fire/frost now.

What an excellent game it is. +1 happy customer.

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842195051144467/A7CF74CAE31CD9547B3DC91DC72D51A4AA7702CE/

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/613842195051150594/74ECD5B63E8B5E7CB0E1E61BE1210ACF2D201D89/

Couple of random screenshots in case anyone's still awaiting the unlock.

Gvaz

Banned
Level 3 and already I want some mods:

- MORE ENEMIES Where the fuck is all the mobs, some bandits in groups of 2-3 here and there
- THE UI ughdsfklajdf
- textures
- removal of the slow kill-cam
- maybe some more melee animations

Seth C

zmoney said:
Ok so since I paid earlier this afternoon I should be able to just walk in and pick up a copy?

Pretty much. All they should have to do is take receipts and hand out the games. Should go fast. Just show up right before midnight.

Luthos

Wallach said:
Two and a half more hours.

Stop talking about how good magic is in this game right now.
Seriously, I thought I decided on a warrior, but people's impressions of the magic system are haven't me confused again (if I want to be a mage first).

The magic is the best improvement over Oblivion for me, feels more dynamic, and AOE attacks are nice - the physical combat is still sloppy and offers only slightly more feedback than Oblivion, the new slowmo finisher attacks are frankly half baked and janky as hell, the camera never knows what to do with itself in those instances and either goes too close or looks in the wrong direction. I don't care for the stealth stuff, my immediate feeling was that it's very similar to Oblivion, but admittedly I've not explored it in any detail as of yet

Piggus said:
Cmon amazon you're making me nervous here. :(
Don't worry about it. I've gotten a bunch of release date delivery games from them and they've almost never shipped until around midnight.

Edit: lol mine just shipped

BlazingDarkness said:
Kinda wish I never saw that, lol, I know I'll do it and completely break the game
I end up doing stuff like this in almost every Bethesda game and I always end up with a giant armory by the end. It's fun to steal stuff in plain sight, lol

Pollux

Seth C said:
Pretty much. All they should have to do is take receipts and hand out the games. Should go fast. Just show up right before midnight.
Sounds good, thanks. BTW I don't see you on the other site much anymore?

Zeliard

One thing I immediately noticed in the opening is the character animation - specifically, when NPCs walk or run it looks like they're actually doing so on a surface of some sort. Astonishing upgrade.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I feel really guilty. My roomate is a huge Elder Scrolls fan, all the way back to Daggerfall, and he was going to buy it tomorrow even though he hadn't seen a single trailer. He was going to show some restraint and try not to play until he can afford the time, but I showed him two of the trailers and how he admits that there's no way he's escaping the vortex

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As correctly predicted by some in this thread, my 360 wireless controller adapter did not make it in time from dealxtreme. Looks like I'll be dropping the X360emu files in the game's folder and hoping it picks up my Dual Impact 2, if it's that brutal playing with mouse and keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom