• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Alright, yall. I'm going to make marriage profiles. Image (will be linked to not spam), location, basic description of personality. I hope some newcomers appreciate the effort.

BUT FIRST... while I get that organized to hit it up city-by-city. Does anyone know which stable sells all-black horses, or at least very dark brown? Also how do horses w/ a follower work?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
omg.kittens said:
Okay, so I had something really weird happen to me. I found a random dead sabre cat in the middle of a road, and after I looted it it started glowing and made a REALLY loud explosion sound. The glow lingered for a few moments but eventually faded. Was that some kind of trap? It didn't seem to hurt my HP...
Anyone? This has happened to me twice now and I have no clue what's happening, hah. Is it damaging me in some way I'm not noticing, or is it alerting enemies to my presence, or...?

Dice said:
Alright, yall. I'm going to make marriage profiles. Image (will be linked to not spam), location, basic description of personality. I hope some newcomers appreciate the effort.

BUT FIRST... while I get that organized to hit it up city-by-city. Does anyone know which stable sells all-black horses, or at least very dark brown? Also how do horses w/ a follower work?
For the darkest of horses...
Join the Dark Brotherhood. Shadowmere is awesome!

Also, I hope I can marry the Redguard at the Whiterun inn. Exotic women!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DoctorWho said:
I have a friend who wants to pick up Skyrim but only wants to play the main quest. He's only interested in spending 5-6 hours on the game.

:(
LOL wtf is the point of that?

Realyn

KingK said:
Luckily I had saved right before that boss fight.

Lame.

I dont want to personally attack someone, but some pages ago people talked about lockpicketing. Someone said he could do Master locks with 20 lockpicket skill and if he would have missed 10 trys, he would simply reload.

My personal view: atleast have the guts to open the chest with a console cheat. That way you are honest to yourself, because what you are doing is nothing else - cheating.

Sadly you need the quicksave function because of bugs etc, but I really dont get how people can use it in such a way. Dude, your companion died, get over it. If you never want to die look up the god command ...

bengraven

Lakitu said:
So, who spared
Sinding?
I'm just wondering about the outcomes of the quest.

I saw him wandering around Whiterun. During the day. Like...noon. As a werewolf.

He said hi as he walked by the little farm and no one cried wolf.

That said, there was a dragon circling and for once I was praying it would see us and attack because I wanted to see what Sinding could do.

Takuan

TheNiX said:
For the darkest of horses...
Join the Dark Brotherhood. Shadowmere is awesome!

Also, I hope I can marry the Redguard at the Whiterun inn. Exotic women!
She's a treasonous bitch who sold out her people.

Xevren

KingK said:
Lidya permanently died on me once. I was in some Dewmer ruins dungeon, at the end it had really fast Falmer boss and a giant powerful Dewmer robot. The fight lasted a while, and I had assumed Lidya was just kneeling down like she does when she gets hurt a lot, but I could not find her body anywhere. Got out of the dungeon and fast traveled to my house in Whiterun and she wasn't there.

Luckily I had saved right before that boss fight.

My Lidya met the same end, her corpse shall forever stay in the Dwemer dungeon.

webrunner

DoctorWho said:
I have a friend who wants to pick up Skyrim but only wants to play the main quest. He's only interested in spending 5-6 hours on the game.

:(

5-6 hours.. how much can you even do in 5-6 hours? MAYBE get to the Greybeards if you rush?

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
Saw a sabre tooth up ahead and prepared to fight. Turned round to check where Lydia was and noticed the sabre tooth was getting a lot closer. Unfortunately it was walking backwards and flying off into space at the same time. Send me a postcard from the moon bro.

irriadin

TheExodu5 said:
I've had my Collector's Edition guide since last Friday, and it is glorious.

Just ordered the Collector's Edition from Overstock this morning. I can't wait until this tome appears on my porch!

MmmSkyscraper said:
Saw a sabre tooth up ahead and prepared to fight. Turned round to check where Lydia was and noticed the sabre tooth was getting a lot closer. Unfortunately it was walking backwards and flying off into space at the same time. Send me a postcard from the moon bro.
That made me LOL at work. The mental picture of a Sabre tooth sending you a postcard the moon is awesome.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I wish I knew where my Lydia met her end. She could be lost in some Vampire Dungeon, that I exited quickly when I realized "OH NO, VAMPIRES" Lydia never was afraid of Vampires.

"Game is big" is an understatement. Finished up the Civil War last night, but still haven't been to the 2 cities up north (Dawnstar and Winterhold) or the city in the far east.

Game clock says I've done 30 hours.

Wallach

Question for those of you that have done College of Winterhold quests (I believe at least through the second one):
When the Arch-Mage gave you the Mage's Circlet as a reward for the second quest, how much magicka does it fortify?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Eccocid said:
Is it possible to play this game on a smooth 60fps ? This shuttering is so annoying. It gives me motion sickness ;_;
Start by dropping the shadow quality. Those kill it the most. After that, even though it's done so well in this game, the next thing I would do of my comp wasn't up to it is fiddle with the ini to disable DoF, as that is a high-cost effect.

Stepping back from the game for a moment, it's clear to see that Skyrim was made for the advanced player of videogames. I have to stop. I'm making zero progress, merely finding different locations at random. Haven't even met a dragon yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Skyrim so far ?

Realyn

Wanna make a extra post for it.

How hard do you guys roleplay? Like I said above, I really dont get the reload thing.

For me its:
-No fast travel. But tbh I used it, when I was at Whiterun doing quest. I mostly got one quest, walked/rode to it and did it and so on. But once I was near Whiterun(like on the back of it, or near the farms), I fasttraveld into the City. Because there was nothing I could have missed, like bandits, a dragon, a cave or something. Think you get my point.
-Read the books :)
-No reloading whatsoever. If I get caught stealing, I have to deal with it! Same if a companion dies.
-In a dungeon I quicksave after every 2-3 encounters.
-I try to "play" my char like a human. Like, accepting a quest in Whiterun. Go to the other city by horse or carriage. Talk to people, go into the Inn and sleep. Do your quest, look around the city and maybe accept a new quest and so on.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Xevren said:

Damn my Lidya died after like 2 dungeons, I was on the first mage's guild quest at the last guy. She knelt down like she always does, so I called to her, I said "Lidya... get up, we won." But she didn't respond. So I cast Healing Hands on her... but still she lay there. I sat beside her and shook her gently... "Lidya.... Lidya wake up. LIDYA! LLIDYAAAAA." I laid with her for what felt like hours, then gave her a gentle kiss on the mouth. Then I looted that bitch bare and got the fuck out of there.

ajf009

Just killed a thing named
Krosis
right after facing off with a dragon.. god damn that thing was harder to kill than 10 dragons

Blizzard

Banned
Trin3785 said:
Pretty sure the only way to lvl skills is to do the actions. So if you're not gonna pay a trainer youll have to keep bashing people with your one handed and with your bow.
If you pay a trainer to level up skills (say, one-handed weapon skill), will the same one-handed weapon do more damage? Or, will shopkeepers stock better one-handed weapons? Or, is there no advantage until you actually unlock one-handed perks?

ajf009 said:
Krosis
right after facing off with a dragon.. god damn that thing was harder to kill than 10 dragons
Yep, first death, toasted me near instantly. I avoided the hell out of that hill the next time through.

jorgeton

Xevren said:

Ah crap, thanks for the heads up guys. I'm currently in a Dwemer dungeon as well... I'll keep a closer eye on her well-being.

I went through a Dwemer dungeon before (Mineschelzt or something like that?) and fought a tough dwarvish robot at the end. I used Lyds as a meat shield while I circled around him and blasted him with lightning bolts (the fight was very Dark Souls-y, as the bot could one hit kill me if I ever let my guard down). She was knocked out many times but always got back up. Good old reliable Lydia.

herzogzwei1989 said:
Stepping back from the game for a moment, it's clear to see that Skyrim was made for the advanced player of videogames. I have to stop. I'm making zero progress, merely finding different locations at random. Haven't even met a dragon yet. Has anyone else had a similar experience with Skyrim so far ?

dragons are triggered by completing a certain number of story quests, follow the story for a while and you'll find your bearings.

i felt the same at the beginning, but i'm starting to really enjoy it now.

Darkgran

Trojita said:
I'm level eight and I haven't selected a single perk. My objective was to go in as a Nord Sword/Magic wielder, but I don't want to make a permanent decision yet.

I'm level 5 and in the same boat.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Realyn said:

How hard do you guys roleplay? Like I said above, I really dont get the reload thing.

For me its:
-No fast travel. But tbh I used it, when I was at Whiterun doing quest. I mostly got one quest, walked/rode to it and did it and so on. But once I was near Whiterun(like on the back of it, or near the farms), I fasttraveld into the City. Because there was nothing I could have missed, like bandits, a dragon, a cave or something. Think you get my point.
-No reloading whatsoever. If I get caught stealing, I have to deal with it! Same if a companion dies.
-I try to "play" my char like a human. Like, accepting a quest in Whiterun. Go to the other city by horse or carriage. Talk to people, go into the Inn and sleep. Do your quest, look around the city and maybe accept a new quest and so on.

My guy will do anything, generally helpful but is still a thieving mofo at night, and I'm planning on joining the Dark Brotherhood when I find it. I don't reload for companions dying(lost 2 already), but I DO quicktravel because the quests just shoot all over the map. I go to the inn and sleep even though I get no resting bonus, because waiting all the time instead seems weird. I have a house decked out, trying to make a mini library I'll read someday. I put a troll skull on top of my weapon chest!

Nose Master said:
How do you activate lizardpeople's regen? If I click it on in the abilities menu, it doesn't seem to do anything.

When you pick it it's in the same slot a dragon shout would be. RB on the 360 controller.

ajf009

Blizzard said:
Yep, first death, toasted me near instantly. I avoided the hell out of that hill the next time through.

I just took cover and pounded it repeatedly with arrows. all 120 of them are gone now haha, but most definitely worth it with the loot. Too bad Lydia died and i can't have her carry some.. It's going to take awhile to get back to town

webrunner

Nose Master said:
How do you activate lizardpeople's regen? If I click it on in the abilities menu, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Powers and Shouts get equipped to a specific sort of invisible slot. They're activated by pressing that button (it's RB on 360)

spirity

herzogzwei1989 said:

My first dragon encounter was 30 mins ago. Don't feel like you have to be advancing something if exploring is what you want to do. Just play the way you want to.

scy

As far as I am aware, companions only die if you yourself kill them. I let Lydia try her damndest to get killed off in a massive fuck up last night involving 3 Mammoths and 3 Giants and she survived everything that wasn't damage caused by me.

Incidentally, Unrelenting Force Shout does damage. Or at least will kill a wounded companion. Good (bad?) to know.

Took on a Scourge and two Deathlords in the same battle and didn't even break a sweat.

Feels good, man.

(And I've killed 20 dragons, apparently.)

watership

ajf009 said:
Krosis

That was one of my harder fights in this game. I only survived after many deaths due to a geometry glitch which allowed to use my weak-ass archery to finish him off.

Realyn said:

For me its:

I have a similar approach. I NEVER reload. I want to live with the consequences of my actions. It makes the game loads more fun for me, as it feels like what ever i do, it has an impact on the world and my character. I also try to stay consistent with my dialog responses and play in a manner that is logical for the character I've created. For example, if I'm a pure Mage type character, I search for books and knowledge, if I'm a thief, I think about making some big scores off of the rich folk in town, etc.

Blizzard

Banned
Realyn said:

I think one of the best things about open-world games like this is that people can choose their own playstyle so it has broad appeal, especially on PC with console commands and mods. Some people can cheat the carry limit if they want, for instance.

My own arbitrary choices for my game so far:
* I haven't fast-travelled in 12 hours or so.
* I never steal anything, and I don't even take stuff that looks free in houses unless someone offers it to me.
* I don't kill people who don't attack me. I hunt animals though!
* I keep TONS of saves. Largely I'm afraid of bugs, but I would also reload if I accidentally hit the wrong conversation option (this sometimes seems to happen even when you try to press enter or click one thing, the other one highlights), or probably if a companion dies. That's just my choice, and sure it's cheating in a sense, but eh. I can consider it losing the game if I die or a companion dies, so I go back to a save.
* I don't think I've reloaded after breaking lockpicks yet, perhaps largely because it only takes 3-5 picks each time and I still have a reasonable number of picks left.
* I talk to most everyone and started reading books, but I realized there are too many so I just check them for EXP and quests now. I might go back to read more later.
* I'm a nice girl and I don't try to lie or screw people over unless they're jerks.
* I'm a blonde Nord girl in Skyrim. Very creative of me! However, I don't wear that horned hat everyone stereotypically wears.

erragal

Blizzard said:
If you pay a trainer to level up skills (say, one-handed weapon skill), will the same one-handed weapon do more damage? Or, will shopkeepers stock better one-handed weapons? Or, is there no advantage until you actually unlock one-handed perks?

Raising a weapon or armor skill will directly change the amount of displayed damage/armor on the weapon. Raising a casting skill impacts spell cost (No clue if it affects damage, certainly does not change the displayed damage).

ajf009

watership said:
That was one of my harder fights in this game. I only survived after many deaths due to a geometry glitch which allowed to use my weak-ass archery to finish him off.

that's exactly what I did.. Too bad my game just froze and I'll have to go back and do it over

squidyj

Dice said:

There's a questline that gives you a black horse.

Trying to figure out this whole Alchemy thing. Do the positions of an ingredient's effects indicate their potency?

Wallach

Wallach said:
Question for those of you that have done College of Winterhold quests (I believe at least through the second one):
When the Arch-Mage gave you the Mage's Circlet as a reward for the second quest, how much magicka does it fortify?

Anyone have this item and could check for me, please?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
scy said:
As far as I am aware, companions only die if you yourself kill them. I let Lydia try her damndest to get killed off in a massive fuck up last night involving 3 Mammoths and 3 Giants and she survived everything that wasn't damage caused by me.

Incidentally, Unrelenting Force Shout does damage. Or at least will kill a wounded companion. Good (bad?) to know.

When they kneel down they lose the enemies aggro, but they can still die from them. Lydia died for me to a powerful storm mage casting lightning everywhere. :(

Blizzard

Banned
erragal said:
Raising a weapon or armor skill will directly change the amount of displayed damage/armor on the weapon. Raising a casting skill impacts spell cost (No clue if it affects damage, certainly does not change the displayed damage).
Weird, that sounds like it actually hurts mages to spam spells for leveling up purposes (until you get upgraded perks).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom