• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pahamrick

DownLikeBCPowder said:
What's the deal here? What's the dialogue option for the continuation and the one for failure? Er, which quest or situation?

Honestly don't know, a friend of mine had the same problem and he didn't tell me what option he picked or didn't pick. That was the solution he had found while looking around.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
CrocMother said:
Gotta say, I felt kinda bad after I wiped out an entire Forsworn camp.

After reading "Madmen of the Reach", I just wish we could leave each other alone.
Yeah, same here. I'd rather leave them be, or even assist them in getting their land back.

I've been to Markarth and I'm experiencing something weird:

I did the whole thing with the jail, escaping with the Forsworn etc. but when I go back to the temple of Talos they throw me in jail again, it just keeps cycling. Are you not actually supposed to go back to the temple?

Clevinger

loblaw said:
Man this game has some serious potential to be beautiful. I sure wish the graphical awesomeness was consistent! I mean look at this shit.

*picture*

Great game though, really enjoying it. Working my way through the Dark Brotherhood questline right now and it's fucking enjoyable as all get out.

I love the dragon silhouette.

Truant

Man, the Dark Brotherhood questline is awesome.

You're like NO WAY, THEY CAN'T SERIOUSLY BE GOING THERE

HOLY SHIT THEY ARE

HOLY SHIT I JUST DID THAT

oh wait

Damn.

Oh, well. Obviously they couldn't actually do that. Still kinda cool.

WAIT WHAT HOLY NIGHT MOTHER THEY'RE ACTUALLY DOING IT

Wallach

Papercuts said:
Alright...just to try it, I reloaded my 10 hour old save and did the mission differently. I messed it up intentionally to not get paid, and even changed the dialog. The next mission STILL didn't pop. Guess I was screwed from the start here.

It's the Loud and Clear mission from the thieves guild, basically the first actual thing you do. When I completed it, I was told to speak to Maven, but I never got the quest to do so. Maven doesn't say anything special to me and Brynjolf says nothing. Completely stuck from progressing.

I don't know how to prevent it, I just went back and tried other things and it still got stuck. I even attacked people in the guild, got kicked out, did the quest to get back in, same exact thing.

Wiki says Mercer Frey is the one that gives this quest, but I'm guessing you've already talked to him?

Mindlog

angelfly said:
Fuck you Morokei!

After about 30 tries I just said fuck it and lowered the difficulty a notch then played hit and run with sword and shouts.
bahaha

It's always amusing to see that line pop up :] I hate him too. My face is invisible.

I was killing some time waiting for a later game hour (I did not feel the need to rush and advance time) so I started walking south of, Riverwood. Adventures were had and I ended up finding some other random town. As I was getting ready to return to Riverwood I hear a guard babbling about the Blacksmith's lost dog. Figuring I had nothing to lose I decided to grab the quest for my miscellaneous backlog. I saw the quest point and it was really close! This should be quick. Wait, what?

So I'm doing that now.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Truant said:

HOLY SHIT THEY ARE

oh wait

Damn.

must... resist... the temptation.

I'm a goody two shoes mage.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol, people have problems with Morokei.

I can see why. I had to be very clever about beating him.
I used two invisibility potions to escape and hid under the bridge until my mana restored, then conjured Flame Atronarch to divert his attention and after he was done with Atronarch I slowed time, blasted him with fireballs and escaped under the bridge again just in time for Lydia to get her shit together again and attack him.

I wish Deus Ex had boss fights like that.

Danneee

I'm thinking of playing my one hand/destruction character more like a rogue, is it possible to cast spells while hidden (and stay undetected) in a similar manner as using a bow? I kind of don't want to waste points into archery if I don't have to.

Wallach

Danneee said:
I'm thinking of playing my one hand/destruction character more like a rogue, is it possible to cast spells while hidden (and stay undetected) in a similar manner as using a bow? I kind of don't want to waste points into archery if I don't have to.

There is a perk in Illusion magic to make spellcasting while sneaking silent.

pelican

Out of interest how are you guys playing the game? First person or 3rd person.

Sometimes I feel a bit disconnected playing the game from the FPS viewpoint. I get the feeling of being a floating head just levitating across the land.

Wanace

Cudder said:
I really really really wish enemies leveled with you in Skyrim like in Oblivion. Some caves have enemies that I just massacre, while another one right beside it has enemies that 2-shot kill me. It makes it really frustrating not knowing what you're gonna run into. And you never know how powerful an enemy is either unless you start a fight, which could mean you die finding out that you really shouldn't have gone in that cave.

I much prefer it this way. I'm level 31 now and when I walk into an ancient ruin, I still see my share of shitty one-hit Draugr's that fly across the room when I cast my spells, but then I hear a dragon shout and turn around and there is a Draugr Scourge or Dread Lord waiting for me to come at him. Same with any other enemy. They are usually wearing similar items, but they are far tougher to kill. Like Novice Necromancers compared with Elder Vampires.

dalin80

Banned
Nocebo said:
There must be something wrong with your game or your eyes then because each time you increase the stamina stat you gain 5 more carrying capacity.
Actually how did you increase it by 35? Through levels or through something else? I figure something else because through levels it increases in 10s. I think stamina increases due to items or potions only increase your stamina bar size and not the carrying capacity part you get when you level the stat.

mostly items so that may be it.

Atomski

dogmanstaruk said:

Sometimes I feel a bit disconnected playing the game from the FPS viewpoint. I get the feeling of being a floating head just levitating across the land.

I don't know how anyone could play this in 3rd person.... I only use it to check out my gear :p.

Man so many quests. This game can be so overwhelming, but I want to do them all. Is there any way of knowing which of the secondary quests are out of your range level-wise? Or do you just have to try them and see if you get slaughtered?

Symphonic

Truant said:

HOLY SHIT THEY ARE

oh wait

Damn.

This, fucking this.

Einbroch

Banned
My brother just broke the game. Chain chugging potions + creating infinitely increasingly powerful gear...

He one-shots every enemy on Master and takes no damage.

NBtoaster

Cudder said:
I'm a RPG noob, so take what I say lightly in that I don't have tons of experience with the genre.

But it just seems that either I utterly massacre the enemy or they do it to me, i merely want a middleground in where I can comfortably fight an enemy and have it be a fair match. So far in Skyrim, it's almost always been one of the extremes.

Try some draugr dungeons. I find the Draugr wights pretty tough and theres usually a boss lich or deathlord at the end (and a shout, so they're the most rewarding).

Neverfade

Is there anyway to ever reset perks in this game? My hankering to be sneaky is ever growing and my beast of a barbarian is not ideal for transitioning.

Zengar

MWS Natural said:
+20% Archery Helm
+20% Archery Ring
50 archery skill at LVL 15
= Skyrim's Legalas

Talk about over kill, my setup:

Dual Blade + x2 damage perk for one-hand at 80
Dragon armors: +74% One hand damage enchanted for the Leg and Arm piece
+74% One hand damage with enchanted ring and amulet

=Dragon killed in under 20s.

zam

Haven't been keeping up with the OT cause I've been too busy playing Skyrim :p This game is orders of magnitude above Oblivion and Fallout 3 (only Bethesda games I've played). So many things to do, and fighting dragons is awesome. The other day a dragon landed in the middle of Solitude and started tearing shit up!

I have a question about the Ebony Blade:
when I picked it up she said I need to kill those near me to restore its power. Does this mean I need to kill my companions? Don't want to kill my Housecarl Lydia, she's been with me since I was named Thane of Whiterun.

Also I have the Coral Dragon Claw, but I don't know in which of the tombs it should be used, and I forgot where I got it so I can't really check out the tombs near that place. Anyone know where I should take it?

GhaleonEB

NullPointer said:
It's the last game you'll need for a while. I've stayed away from some of the bigger AAA releases this holiday season but after playing Skyrim I feel no compunction to get anything else anytime soon. Nothing else comes close to the level of player agency afoot in Skyrim's world.

The stories you weave purely through exploration and the craziness that can ensue - its mindboggling. I just figured I'd check out this cave real quick before heading to bed - two hours ago ;P Got myself stuck sharing a den with a giant snow leopard, sneaked as far as possible into the back corner while I watched it pace around looking for me. A couple minutes later I saw my opportunity and made a bolt for it back towards the entrance only to spring a painful bear trap beneath my feet. A little restoration action later and my plan was now in motion. I took the trap with me and set it along the path, between me and where the leopard was stalking, reset its mechanical trap-jaws, and waited in the darkness, poison arrows at the ready...

Here kitty...

Its moments like these that I've always yearned for in games. Game of the fucking forever.
Heh. That was my story last night.

I didn't realize you could move the bear traps. This changes everything. I've seen dungeons where there were several in a row. Next time I'm setting up a gauntlet and luring some poor sucker into them.

Great story. :D
MWS Natural said:
+20% Archery Helm
+20% Archery Ring
50 archery skill at LVL 15
= Skyrim's Legalas
Me:

+18% Archery Crown
+60% Archery Damage Perk
60 Archery skill at LVL 20
3x Archery Damage from Sneak Perk

Toss in some poison and only real BAMF live to see what hit them.

Einbroch said:
My brother just broke the game. Chain chugging potions + creating infinitely increasingly powerful gear...

He one-shots every enemy on Master and takes no damage.

I've read about people doing this, I've never tried it...what do I need to do?

So I'm coming up to Ivarstead on my horse and some guards attack me out of nowhere. I start whacking them when one of them says "Hey! I'm on your side!". I was confused at this until I noticed they were only hitting my horse.

It apparently offended them or something so they decided to kill it. Going to reload and see what happens.

angelfly

dogmanstaruk said:

Mainly first person but I do occasionally switch to third person while traveling across the land or in certain non combat situations.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
-ImaginaryInsider said:
I've read about people doing this, I've never tried it...what do I need to do?
If its anything like Morrowind what people do is make a potion that increases an attribute or skill then drink it. Now that the skill/attribute is fortified they make another potion but this time its a little stronger. Then they take that. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

In Morrowind, i kept increasing my Intelligence until i could make potions that lasted like 49,093,093,024 seconds and increased Int by 80,000,000 or something ridiculous. i did the same for speed and i couldnt even make it of the house because i moved so fast.

PoorFate said:
So I'm coming up to Ivarstead on my horse and some guards attack me out of nowhere. I start whacking them when one of them says "Hey! I'm on your side!". I was confused at this until I noticed they were only hitting my horse.

It apparently offended them or something so they decided to kill it. Going to reload and see what happens.

Maybe they thought it was holding you hostage?

dogmanstaruk said:

I'm playing 3rd person, but in the closest view possible, so it plays like Gears or RE4.

BeeDog

I'm gonna sound like a broken record; This is a great game, but it's starting to become a bit on the grating side. The game world looks good, but I'm not really digging the sameyness to it so far. It also doesn't feel like it's worth exploring too many dungeons since the equipment placement sucks. Fallout: New Vegas and Morrowind were much, much better at this.

My guess is I should try sticking to the bigger cities and avoid doing Miscellaneous quests, since my patience is wearing a bit thin. Can someone recommend a town in the game that has some really good quests?

angelfly

BeeDog said:
My guess is I should try sticking to the bigger cities and avoid doing Miscellaneous quests, since my patience is wearing a bit thin. Can someone recommend a town in the game that has some really good quests?
Miscellaneous quest often end up turning into full quest.

Truant

Melhisedek said:
Is the loot random or fixed? I mean can I find some phat lewt in the same place on every walkthrough (like we could in Morrowind)?

A bit of both. Named items are usually fixed, while good "item of attribute" stuff is pretty random.

BeeDog

angelfly said:
Miscellaneous quest often end up turning into full quest.

Yeah I know, but can't say I've been too impressed with these quests so far.

The best quests by far have been the city-specific quests, since most others feel like simple fetch quests.

Wallach

BeeDog said:
Yeah I know, but can't say I've been too impressed with these quests so far.

The best quests by far have been the city-specific quests, since most others feel like simple fetch quests.

If you're looking for phat loot, you are much better off doing quests that are not marked in the misc category. They're put in that category because they are minor and generally mean you're only going to find randomized loot. You will only rarely find really nice gear when it comes to randomized containers.

The quests that actually have major entries are where you will generally run into powerful and/or unique loot. Guild quests, Daedric quests, etc.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I'm getting dragons seemingly back to back to back now. I don't exactly mind, but these guys are almost as common as fucking bears at this point. Maybe I should level up blacksmithing all the way and make use of all those scales, craft me some new gear.

BeeDog

GuiltybyAssociation said:
I'm getting dragons seemingly back to back to back now. I don't exactly mind, but these guys are almost as common as fucking bears at this point. Maybe I should level up blacksmithing all the way and make use of all those scales, craft me some new gear.

Hah yeah, so true. Someone said dragons are this game's cliff racers, and that couldn't be more true, lulz. If a Blood Dragon gets a drop on me, I just lower the difficulty to obliterate it before moving on.

Wallach said:
If you're looking for phat loot, you are much better off doing quests that are not marked in the misc category. They're put in that category because they are minor and generally mean you're only going to find randomized loot. You will only rarely find really nice gear when it comes to randomized containers.

The quests that actually have major entries are where you will generally run into powerful and/or unique loot. Guild quests, Daedric quests, etc.

Good to hear. I'm a little bit disappointed that the few named weapons I've found are simply regular charged weapons with no uniqueness to them. Can't remember if it was the same in Oblivion. Let's hope more of the major quests change things up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom