• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalin80

Banned
mxgt said:
Starting to get fed up with a dragon appearing seemingly every time I travel to the mage college

Iam hours in and have only seen one outside of the plot and it ran away!

Iam bored of the one shout :-(

Westonian

Nightingale gear plus Kronis mask equals stealth murder machine!

I just got to the dwarf ruins part of the Nightingale quest and on my way there wrecked every mob I ran into without them knowing or even seeing what hit them. My stealth skill level was already at 96, so the added perks from the gear make me practically invisible.

And I look like a total badass to boot!

Izayoi

Banned
So is it really worth disenchanting all of these weapons? They're worth so much, just destroying all of them seems like a real shame.

I have yet to mess with crafting or enchanting yet.

NBtoaster

Izayoi said:
So is it really worth disenchanting all of these weapons? They're worth so much, just destroying all of them seems like a real shame.

The idea is that what you create with your own enchantments is of greater value.

Wallach

dalin80 said:
I have a couple of reanimate spells which work quite well if you need a companion in a pinch and its quite nice at times to bring a bandit back to a bandit camp just so the camp can be attacked by one of its own.

An assassin was sent to kill me, I turned him into a puppet to do my bidding.

Reanimate is certainly less convenient than summoning Daedra varieties, but so fucking satisfying. Making Arvel the Swift run headlong into a tomb full of Draugr made me laugh; making a snow bear tank the dragon that ambushed me in the middle of a snowstorm near Winterhold feel like a total boss. Every chance I get I'm reanimating something that pissed me off. I can't fucking wait until I get the thrall-class spells because I'm going to go on some wild adventures with zombified NPCs I don't like. It's going to be amazing.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Booo - was in an epic fight with a dragon. It was almost dead. I was almost dead. I paused, chugged a few potions, unpaused. Dragon then went into his canned execution animation (ie eating me). Even though I was at near full health.

It's kinda bullshit that you can be "dead" with ~10% of your health left, and just not know it. It would have been easy for Beth to let the PLAYER perform executions, without enemies being able to do the same.

Gotta say, I felt kinda bad after I wiped out an entire Forsworn camp.

After reading "Madmen of the Reach", I just wish we could leave each other alone.

Reclaimer

ajf009 said:
Anyone run into any forsworn yet? Those are some creepy looking mofos!
I love their crazy antlered hoods on my Khajit. I worked so hard to smith and enchant their armor until I could justify wearing it.

I've fulfilled my dream of being a cat wearing a deer riding a horse fighting a dragon.

Grinchy said:
Even at 60 freakin dollars for a download, I couldn't resist. I'm 8% in on my download and I can't wait to start playing. This will probably be the last game I buy for a while.
It's the last game you'll need for a while. I've stayed away from some of the bigger AAA releases this holiday season but after playing Skyrim I feel no compunction to get anything else anytime soon. Nothing else comes close to the level of player agency afoot in Skyrim's world.

The stories you weave purely through exploration and the craziness that can ensue - its mindboggling. I just figured I'd check out this cave real quick before heading to bed - two hours ago ;P Got myself stuck sharing a den with a giant snow leopard, sneaked as far as possible into the back corner while I watched it pace around looking for me. A couple minutes later I saw my opportunity and made a bolt for it back towards the entrance only to spring a painful bear trap beneath my feet. A little restoration action later and my plan was now in motion. I took the trap with me and set it along the path, between me and where the leopard was stalking, reset its mechanical trap-jaws, and waited in the darkness, poison arrows at the ready...

Here kitty...

Its moments like these that I've always yearned for in games. Game of the fucking forever.

derFeef

Is it normal that your character feels underpowered all the time? I don't like that... I could not kill my first random dragon yesterday eveneing, impossible. I do no damage and more than half of the health vanishes after I got hit by his flames.

The hargraven has given me a hard time too, died almost 3 times until I beat her down.

I am playing a Nord with heavy armor, shield, one handed mainly, with a little bit of magic inbetween.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Just wrapped up the Companion quest line. Thought it was alright overall, with a few cool moments. Now I'm working on the Thief guild stuff, and I can already tell this should be awesome. These type of quests are way more entertaining for me. Approaching 30 hours and I feel like I haven't even done much at all. This game is ridiculous.

ajf009

Reclaimer said:
I've fulfilled my dream of being a cat wearing a deer riding a horse fighting a dragon.

Hahaha picturing this makes me laugh, I guess that's Skyrim!

The minute he becomes a member somebody tag this man!

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So...I don't have the quest called Dampened Spirits from the thieves guild. I was told to talk to Maven Black-Briar but she doesn't say anything, the quest never popped up. Brynjolf is always in the market and doesn't say anything to me aside from "sorry lad, I have important things to do"...any ideas on how I can continue the guild? :\

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
It's a real shame that just about all of the coolest armor in this game covers all of the unique character shit you meticulously crafted at the start of the game.

My only gripes so far:

* I took out an enemy wielding a sweet magic sword in the cave I mentioned earlier. Got the drop on him and assassinated him all ninja-like which was nice, but no magic sword was there waiting for me when it was over. Deflation total. Makes me wonder whether taking on seemingly tougher areas at lower levels is a lost cause. I still have plenty of treasure, but it pales in comparison to that sweet sweet magical blade of whatever that that guy was carrying.

* If you have, say two bows of the same type, you can't bind the bow to one of your two quick-bind favorites. Or rather you can, but as soon as you use your other favorite it unbinds itself. I ended up ditching one of the bows in a barrel before entering the cave, just to make sure things would work.

dalin80

Banned
One question though, how do I increase my carrying capacity? I thought it was through the stamina stat which I have increased by 35 but my capacity has only gone up by 5...

cackhyena

dalin80 said:
One question though, how do I increase my carrying capacity? I thought it was through the stamina stat which I have increased by 35 but my capacity has only gone up by 5...
Scope the pickpocket skill tree.

NullPointer said:
My only gripes so far:

* I took out an enemy wielding a sweet magic sword in the cave I mentioned earlier. Got the drop on him and assassinated him all ninja-like which was nice, but no magic sword was there waiting for me when it was over. Deflation total. Makes me wonder whether taking on seemingly tougher areas at lower levels is a lost cause. I still have plenty of treasure, but it pales in comparison to that sweet sweet magical blade of whatever that that guy was carrying.
I could be wrong but the enemy may have enchanted his sword so that it looked like it was magic. I've killed guys with glowing swords who ended up having nothing special and I think that was the cause.

NullPointer said:
My only gripes so far:

* If you have, say two bows of the same type, you can't bind the bow to one of your two quick-bind favorites. Or rather you can, but as soon as you use your other favorite it unbinds itself. I ended up ditching one of the bows in a barrel before entering the cave, just to make sure things would work.

Maybe it was a conjured sword. Wouldn't be able to pick that up :p

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I need like an enchantment tutorial session man, it's a little convoluted.

it's very simple

1)DISENCHANT any enchanted weapon at the table
2)choose not enchanted weapon
3)choose enchantment
4)choose soul gem

press action to craft

do not forget to fill your weapon with new soul gems after it disenchants.

Wallach

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Maybe it was a conjured sword. Wouldn't be able to pick that up :p

Yeah, was going to say this. If it was a glowing blue weapon with wispy trails, it was summoned through Bound Weapon and disappeared when you killed him. I've never seen an enemy die that did not have their weapon in their inventory were they actually wielding one, I don't think.

Rodney McKay said:
I could be wrong but the enemy may have enchanted his sword so that it looked like it was magic. I've killed guys with glowing swords who ended up having nothing special and I think that was the cause.
Wouldn't an enchanted sword still be something special. I got no sword out of him at all.

Now that I think about it any chance it was a bound sword*? It looked ghostly, like a pure blue blue flame rippling in ethereal winds. Regardless I wants it. I needses it.

Edit*: Beaten like a poisoned snow leopard. :)

Cudder

I really really really wish enemies leveled with you in Skyrim like in Oblivion. Some caves have enemies that I just massacre, while another one right beside it has enemies that 2-shot kill me. It makes it really frustrating not knowing what you're gonna run into. And you never know how powerful an enemy is either unless you start a fight, which could mean you die finding out that you really shouldn't have gone in that cave.

Can anyone give me advice on how to steal shit and pick pockets? I've only been concentrating on smithery and one handed weapons. My pickpocket skill sucks.

really wanna just go around stealing shit from people. Seems exciting, but the odds of me stealing anything of value is like 1% lol.

Durante

Cudder said:
I really really really wish enemies leveled with you in Skyrim like in Oblivion. Some caves have enemies that I just massacre, while another one right beside it has enemies that 2-shot kill me. It makes it really frustrating not knowing what you're gonna run into. And you never know how powerful an enemy is either unless you start a fight, which could mean you die finding out that you really shouldn't have gone in that cave.
Your opinion is wrong and you're a bad man.

Having enemies I one-shot, dungeons I could never hope to clear on my first visit, and the requirment to be cautious when approaching a new type of enemy is what makes Skyrim as a whole 20 times better as an RPG than (vanilla) Oblivion could ever hope to be.

dalin80

Banned
Cudder said:
I really really really wish enemies leveled with you in Skyrim like in Oblivion. .

I think my sarcasm metre is broken because uhm... what?

you really want the worst idea in RPG history to return, an idea that made levelling in oblivion utterly pointless as the character was at his most powerful at level 1 as everything else would gain more then you at each level...

purg3

slept with Malkin
Pop On Arrival said:
Can anyone give me advice on how to steal shit and pick pockets? I've only been concentrating on smithery and one handed weapons. My pickpocket skill sucks.

really wanna just go around stealing shit from people. Seems exciting, but the odds of me stealing anything of value is like 1% lol.

Join the Thief's guild if you haven't already to get some helpful bonus's/armor. Start of with pickpocketing cheap stuff that has the highest %, your skill will increase pretty quickly.

Cudder said:
Yeah - that leads me to my last gripe. The game could use a setting to let you know whether that wandering dude down the way is a insta-hostile-berzerker-kill-you-die-bandit or a friendly that just wants to chat. I find myself quicksaving often before attempting to say hello, only to get charged at with a battle-axe. But then other times they're just wandering hunters or Stormcloaks. Some might consider it too gamey an addition, but I think its a detriment to the game that I find myself quick-saving before walking up anybody outside of a city. Fallout 3 did a better job of this with the green and red pips on the direction finder, so its strange to see it lacking in Skyrim.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Cudder said:
I disagree, because this is a role-playing game, not a action game!

Durante

Wallach said:
Reanimate is certainly less convenient than summoning Daedra varieties, but so fucking satisfying. Making Arvel the Swift run headlong into a tomb full of Draugr made me laugh; making a snow bear tank the dragon that ambushed me in the middle of a snowstorm near Winterhold feel like a total boss. Every chance I get I'm reanimating something that pissed me off. I can't fucking wait until I get the thrall-class spells because I'm going to go on some wild adventures with zombified NPCs I don't like. It's going to be amazing.
Yeah, when I reanimated the first boss I knew conjuration was going to be awesome in this game.

pahamrick

Papercuts said:
I seriously think I can't progress in the thieves guild now. This is fucking retarded.

It's a bug, pretty bad one too. If you don't pick a certain dialog with the leader you never get the quest and therefore can't proceed. If you can't go back to an earlier save, do you have the PC version?

If so, open up the console and type setstage TG03 0, that gives you the quest to talk to Maven.

Papercuts

pahamrick said:
It's a bug, pretty bad one too. If you don't pick a certain dialog with the leader you never get the quest and therefore can't proceed. If you can't go back to an earlier save, do you have the PC version?

If so, open up the console and type setstage TG03 0, that gives you the quest to talk to Maven.

I'm on 360, I do have a save before this happened but it's 10 hours earlier. No chance in hell I'm doing that...ugh.

Nocebo

dalin80 said:
There must be something wrong with your game or your eyes then because each time you increase the stamina stat you gain 5 more carrying capacity.
Actually how did you increase it by 35? Through levels or through something else? I figure something else because through levels it increases in 10s. I think stamina increases due to items or potions only increase your stamina bar size and not the carrying capacity part you get when you level the stat.

pahamrick said:

What's the deal here? What's the dialogue option for the continuation and the one for failure? Er, which quest or situation?

Atomski

NullPointer said:
My only gripes so far:

Was the guy with the magic sword a caster type? I could be wrong but there is spells to summon weapons and I am pretty sure they just disappear when they die.

Cudder

Durante said:
Your opinion is wrong and you're a bad man.

Having enemies I one-shot, dungeons I could never hope to clear on my first visit, and the requirment to be cautious when approaching a new type of enemy is what makes Skyrim as a whole 20 times better as an RPG than (vanilla) Oblivion could ever hope to be.
I'm a RPG noob, so take what I say lightly in that I don't have tons of experience with the genre.

But it just seems that either I utterly massacre the enemy or they do it to me, i merely want a middleground in where I can comfortably fight an enemy and have it be a fair match. So far in Skyrim, it's almost always been one of the extremes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I just got done playing Skyrim for four hours, looked around my room, and immediately looked at all my stuff in terms of loot value. That's how you know you've been playing too long.

Atruvius

Completed the main quest yesterday and sided with the Stormcloaks. Took me a bit over thirty hours and only completed on guild.

Regarding Grey Beards' leader.
It took me by surprise, he was a dragon! I got up to the mountain and heard wings flap. I immediately unsheathed my sword and thought "oh shit, a dragon". And then the dragon talked to me. :O
Then he showed me his voice. Shame he had to cover my Lydia in fire because she got aggro and just started pummeling him and almost got herself killed.
It was hilarious but I had to load an earlier save.

Ending area.
Sovngard was so beautiful. I wish you could almost go there.

I don't want to play as swordsman, got bit boring. So I made a new character. Sneaky bow wielding, magic using dunmer.

Papercuts

Alright...just to try it, I reloaded my 10 hour old save and did the mission differently. I messed it up intentionally to not get paid, and even changed the dialog. The next mission STILL didn't pop. Guess I was screwed from the start here.

DownLikeBCPowder said:
What's the deal here? What's the dialogue option for the continuation and the one for failure? Er, which quest or situation?

It's the Loud and Clear mission from the thieves guild, basically the first actual thing you do. When I completed it, I was told to speak to Maven, but I never got the quest to do so. Maven doesn't say anything special to me and Brynjolf says nothing. Completely stuck from progressing.

I don't know how to prevent it, I just went back and tried other things and it still got stuck. I even attacked people in the guild, got kicked out, did the quest to get back in, same exact thing.

Wallach

Durante said:
Yeah, when I reanimated the first boss I knew conjuration was going to be awesome in this game.

Breton with Conjuration is always my go-to when a new TES game comes out. I typically make a bunch of characters but not until the process of make Breton -> level Conjuration -> lord over peasants is satisfied. Reanimation and perks just make it even more awesome; I'm so close to that Twin Souls perk I can taste it.

Nocebo

Cudder said:
I'm a RPG noob, so take what I say lightly in that I don't have tons of experience with the genre.

But it just seems that either I utterly massacre the enemy or they do it to me, i merely want a middleground in where I can comfortably fight an enemy and have it be a fair match. So far in Skyrim, it's almost always been one of the extremes.
Maybe adjust the difficulty setting?

Symphonic

Man this game has some serious potential to be beautiful. I sure wish the graphical awesomeness was consistent! I mean look at this shit.

764A11EED90CE497C8EBA5135C996382AF8BAC98

Great game though, really enjoying it. Working my way through the Dark Brotherhood questline right now and it's fucking enjoyable as all get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom