• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr YuYu

Is it wise to use Faendal's upgrade Archery a lot?
To me it seems like cheating. I level up way to fast :-/

I'm kind of afraid i will be over powered. Or do i not have to worry about that?

Also, if i let him go. Will he return to riverwood?

Anteater

Any tips on fighting mages? I think I've been oneshotted in the past by those filthy mages, they're like the equivalent to RPGs in shooters :(
and I couldn't find any magic resistance gears so far

sfedai0 said:
If I liked FO3, will I enjoy this too?
You might, you might not. Ask yourself these two questions: did you like Fallout 3 because it gave you a large open world to fuck around in or did you like it because that large open world was a bleak and desolate landscape?

If the first is an affirmative, you'll love this. It's open-world with a world that feels alive.

If the second is an affirmative, you might still like this, but be aware that Skyrim's a bit more of a diverse place than the Capital Wasteland.

angelfly

Anteater said:
Any tips on fighting mages? I think I've been oneshotted in the past by those filthy mages, they're like the equivalent to RPGs in shooters :(
I usually just rush them while using flame magic and hacking away with my sword. Another trick I use when fighting multiple mages is getting them to follow me to a corridor and have them funneled in one tight space so that all sword swings and magic shots count and I don't have to worry about getting hit from any other direction. Take advantage of the open world aspect.

Wallach

BeeDog said:
Good to hear. I'm a little bit disappointed that the few named weapons I've found are simply regular charged weapons with no uniqueness to them. Can't remember if it was the same in Oblivion. Let's hope more of the major quests change things up.

If you haven't done any of the guild-type quests (Companions, Dark Brotherhood, College of Winterhold, etc), you should definitely get on that. Also keep an eye out for any Daedric shrines, as those quest lines are very important to the world of Elder Scrolls. Between those two usually you're going to find much more interesting things to do and loot to equip.

Log4Girlz

Pandaman said:
i felt stupid for climbing the mountain and then finding out there were stairs on the other side.

Oh...oh wow I feel stupid too.

Anyway, I go to the inn to rest up...only to find sam the sorceror. Hey let's have a drinking contest for a staff! Cool, let's do this. Alright hey I win...black out...wake up in a city i've never visited...only to be surrounded by intrigue with a murder on the streets...as I try to investigate...holy shit a haunted house with like the fucking devil trying to make me do quests now. WTF.

Edit: Oh did I mention I did all sorts of weird shit, fondled a religious statue, talked smack etc while I was drunk? Had no idea lol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Anteater said:

What is your build?

Tactics are totally dependent on a situation. Also melee companion would help (Lydia *wink*).

BeeDog

Wallach said:
If you haven't done any of the guild-type quests (Companions, Dark Brotherhood, College of Winterhold, etc), you should definitely get on that. Also keep an eye out for any Daedric shrines, as those quest lines are very important to the world of Elder Scrolls. Between those two usually you're going to find much more interesting things to do and loot to equip.

I've been doing some Companions quests, and they're the best thing in the game thus far. Still haven't progressed too much there, the current marker is soooo faaar aaawaaay.

I've finished two Daedric quests two and have gotten
the mace of Molag Bar and the Ring of Namira.
Decent loot, but the quests themselves were somewhat average. Will try to start up the other guild quests.

Oh and the mage protecting the Dawnbreaker can go fuck himself, one shot frost spells, I had to drink like 4 frost resist potions and even then he did so much damage.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BeeDog said:
I've been doing some Companions quests, and they're the best thing in the game thus far. Still haven't progressed too much there, the current marker is soooo faaar aaawaaay.

Decent loot, but the quests themselves were somewhat average. Will try to start up the other guild quests.
How do you start companion quests? I have no dialogue options for this.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
1. Marcurio IS amazing. In particular, his lightning bolts are fantastic when a dragon is just flying around being a dick.

2. Full epic ebony armor set. Nothing can touch me AND I will kill you dead. Marcurio and I have a new hobby of killing giants.

3. There are still two major towns I haven't been to and I haven't started any guild quests. The scope of this game is blowing my mind.

4. Gotta marry my woman but I want us to live in a nicer place. I wonder if there are videos of the houses on youtube... *goes to check*

exYle

Anybody else getting crazy ragdoll physics? It seems 80% I get a kill with either my Lightning Bolt or my axe, the dead enemy goes flying across Skyrim, which makes bodies annoying to loot.
The worst is when I get a third-person execution on a bear or saber cat - my character slams the axe into their mouth, and then after I pull my weapon out the creature goes flying away in slow-mo.

How many trees do you guys concentrate on (perks I mean)
I plan on having a battle-mage. Melee fighter with a touch of destro and resto spells. But I think I might stretch myself thin with perks and upgrading health, stamina and mana. What do you folks think?

Wallach

Melhisedek said:
I plan on having a battle-mage. Melee fighter with a touch of destro and resto spells. But I think I might stretch myself thin with perks and upgrading health, stamina and mana. What do you folks think?

I've only invested into 3 perk trees so far. Believe I'm level 23 or 24 right now. Conjuration, Restoration, Alteration.

ShinNL

After restarting like 4 times, I finally found the sweet spot build I was looking for. It has a lot of synergies.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/soneet/screenshot/612716583520104525

Dual sword wielding battlemage, relying mostly on destruction and conjuration.

Now here's the trick:
If you dual wield and wear a fast weapon on your left hand, say a dagger, your dual wield attacks will all have the speed of your left hand weapon. So the power attack where you hold both left and right mouse button is super fast (I'm talking about 3 hits per second) and breaks shields and often staggers the enemy. It's like super powerful.

What makes the build even sweeter is that the right hand uses a bound sword, which is darn cool looking ;D I'm not sure if it's stronger than my regular sword which I keep for emergencies, but whatever.
Since bound sword is a conjuration spell, it works extremely nice with conjuring pets because it uses the same skill tree.

This time I'm skipping bow all together and only use magic for range attacks. But usually my flame atronach will have defeated all the ranged enemies before I even switched to my fire spells.

So I finally found a good way to be non cookie-cutter (sword + shield) but also not totally die (wearing heavy armor this time).

Loving it :D

Log4Girlz

BeeDog said:

Shit those were some of the first quests I did!

Edit: Sorry edited out last part

Nose Master

Both my followers died during the last mission. :(. I gave the dog a viking funeral.

PS: Holy hell Captain Hargrave was unnecessarily strong. Every other grunt (including
Jaleel
) went down in about 2 swings. He took something like 30, and did half health each swing he connected.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
OK two things:

1)What is the most effective way to combat a dragon? I am a level 11 Redguard, and my goodness do I ever struggle with those crazy things! The problem is, my character class isn't specialized in long ranged projectile weapons or offensive spells, and I'm more effective with swords, maces etc. But the damn Dragon hard ever lands and stays put long enough to get in close and get some good hits. So what should I do to put these creatures out of their misery? Or is magic pretty much the only good way to slay them?

2)The other thing is, how are you guys dealing with the weight restriction? juggling all these items and having to sacrifice carrying one over the is becoming an exercise in frustration.

Anteater

subversus said:
What is your build?

Tactics are totally dependent on a situation. Also melee companion would help (Lydia *wink*).

I'm a Dualwielding guy with no magic :lol, I've been trying to use stealth archery and bottlenecking them into a corridor, but the fireballs seems to hurt a lot when they hit me, so I had to usually save and rush them and hope for the best

isamu said:
OK two things:

1)What is the most effective way to combat a dragon? I am a level 11 Redguard, and my goodness do I ever struggle with those crazy things! The problem is, my character class isn't specialized in long ranged projectile weapons or offensive spells, and I'm more effective with swords, maces etc. But the damn Dragon hard ever lands and stays put long enough to get in close and get some good hits. So what should I do to put these creatures out of their misery? Or is magic pretty much the only good way to slay them?

2)The other thing is, how are you guys dealing with the weight restriction? juggling all these items and having to sacrifice carrying one over the is becoming an exercise in frustration.
I've found magic is very effective but sword does the best damage for me. If you really don't want to take them head on in any case. Use the terrain to your advantage to hide from fire/ice blasts and if you have an NPC with you, make sure they are attracting the attention of the dragon

Otherwise, shouts are your friend. And an amulet of talos

Dice

So I'm running around with Marcurio and we just defeated a Frost Dragon. Suddenly a troll comes out and we waste it as well. Then for some reason a deer is distressed and chooses to run in our direction. He gives it a face full of lightning bolt as well for seemingly no reason.

Me: I think the troll scared that deer.
Marcurio: IT'S COMIN RIGHT FOR US! *KABLAM*

Dresden said:
Yeah,
gotta collect 'em all.
The questline starts in
Dawnstar.
Okay cool, I'll head there once I'm done in Winter Hold.

By the way, Winter Hold was kinda underwhelming. For a city with such an awesome name and location (
and that College looming over everything
) having it be just a few shacks with thatched roofs is kinda lame. :lol

I know half the city fell into the sea, but still. :p

Dice

Fjordson said:
Damn, I keep seeing people mention how bad ass Marcurio is. Dare I replace my beloved Lydia?
Unlike Lydia, he can also keep up with your running speed. Oh, and he can heal himself, too.

Arjen

Melhisedek said:

I'm completly focusing on Sneak and Archery right now, i did got the first speech perk (10% more money i think) because i sell a lot of stuff.

Melhisedek said:
Mainly One-handed, Block, Heavy Armor and Smithing. I have the first Destruction perk, a few Lockpicking perks and a few Speech perks, too. I'm level 36.

It's kinda annoying that the guards greeting you for your specializations seems to be bugged. I have absolutely no skill in Pickpocketing and yet they often tell me to "keep your hands to yourself, sneak thief". Same with Archery and two-handed, I have no perks and almost no skill in those weapons and yet the guards often seem to think I'm either rocking a bow or a claymore most of the time. The next guard that tells me the gods gave me two hands and I use 'em both for a weapon is getting Fus Ro Dah'ed off a cliff.

Fjordson

Dice said:
Unlike Lydia, he can also keep up with your running speed. Oh, and he can heal himself, too.
Seriously? Done and done then. I took that as a general glitch with companions. Her constant 5-10 second breaks where she's just standing still are infuriating.

Dresden

Close to 100 sneak now, it just keeps leveling no matter what. Shadow Warrior soon.

I have around 96 Sneak, 52 One Handed, and 50 or so Block... Archery is at around 30 or so and smithing is at 45-ish. Other than that most of the other skills are almost completely untouched.

Acidote

Elbrain said:
Another person posted this as well, is there a way in the game to reset your perks?

No. I'm sure it will be possible through mods. Right now it's a bit tedious process through console commands.

Nemic77

As a Nord character I feel like I really screwed up in the Markarth quests:
The Forsworn Conspiracy
and
No One Escapes Cidhna Mine

When I was escaping the mine I thought I could initially side with Madanach and then turn on him, by killing him right at the end of the ruins, but that only made me hostile against the Forsworn AND the Silver-Blood Family.

Since I had no previous recent save I had to proceed by
escaping with Madanach
, but now the whole city keeps mentioning my
prison escape and how many people died
. Don't even feel like returning to Markarth anymore. :(

I've just bought the house in Markarth for 8000, but for the life of me don't know which one it is. Anybody know what the fuck I just paid for? Cheers.

Izayoi

Banned
Well, after doing Missing in Action, looks like I'm going to sign up for the Stormcloaks. They may be bad people, but they're nowhere near as bad as the Thalmor and, by extension, the Imperials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom