• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT| Het Kos Dovahhe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izuna

Banned
Acheteedo said:
Hah, luckily the perk points stay with you and can be applied at any time. That's going to be a mighty power increase when you apply them.

It's my fault really. It's because I've saved my Level Ups as cures.

zsswimmer said:
Yeah I've put around 18 hours in so far and not one dragon besides the opening one :(

Really?

No one has answered my question but - on the way to the greybeards
A dragon attacked me half way up the mountain. Was that scripted? I was just talking to someone about dragons in game when it attacked and she helped me kill it. Great experience.

H3xum

DangerousDave said:
There is any NPC that custom enchant weapons?

Enchantment is one of the easiest skills to level yourself and you'll end up with better stuff.

Get some leather and some iron and make a bunch of daggers and go catch some mudcrab in gems and start cranking away. You'll be leveling every item you enchant

DoctorWho said:
Really?

A dragon attacked me half way up the mountain. Was that scripted? I was just talking to someone about dragons in game when it attacked and she helped me kill it. Great experience.

I did not have that experience, so it wasn't scripted. I'm envious though

ttocs

DoctorWho said:
Really?

No, I don't think so. I only got attacked by a saber cat near the top.

Wanace

DoctorWho said:
Really?

Yeah that happened to me too. I died like 10 times because I wasn't expecting it and didn't pack any healing potions.

I've killed a ton of dragons in my game, I think I have 8 souls saved up, I have to go start looking for the shouts and spend them.

Raxus

zsswimmer said:
Yeah I've put around 18 hours in so far and not one dragon besides the opening one :(
I find that hard to believe seeing as there are dragons guaranteed to spawn in select areas.

Speaking of dragons, I have been pretty lucky with two dragons attacking me in the College of Winterhold. Poor bastards never stood a chance.

Klyka

Banned
zsswimmer said:

You need to kill the first dragon in the main quest to actually unlock dragons in the game.

ttocs

Raxus said:
I find that hard to believe seeing as there are dragons guaranteed to spawn in select areas.
Agreed. There are dragons everywhere in my game, usually at the most inopportune moments.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
DoctorWho said:
Really?

Random. Didn't happen to me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
ttocs said:
Agreed. There are dragons everywhere in my game, usually at the most inopportune moments.

This. I have had dragons spawn right after a fast travel, while sneaking up on a pack of bears, while hanging out in the WIDE open (which is easily the worst given that there is no obvious cover), while wandering up the mountains...Hell, I had one spawn about 20 minutes after the main quest dragon spawned at the beginning.

Just unlucky I guess?

NBtoaster

I think people wander off a bit too quickly from the main quest. I know it goes against the spirit of the game, but you should at least go to High Hrothgar, and then go off and explore. The complete unrelenting force shout you get there is incredibly useful.

Izayoi

Banned
Raxus said:
I went for eight hours after the opening one and didn't run into any, so it's not that hard to believe.

Dries

Can't wait to play this in a couple of hours.. It's so good. Still, I think I prefer The Witcher 2 as my GOTY. But Skyrim is close, and that's a accomplishment on itself.

NBtoaster said:
All chests that are not owned by you (the ones in your houses you own) reset after 73 hours.

I've kept stuff in my college room and it hasn't reset. I know I've spent more than 73 hours in the game since putting stuff there.

Are you saying the College chests will delete my shit?!

Weapons

I have been to Riverwood a couple of times to get some Ebony Ingots and there are damn dragons there almost every time!

Oddly enough, the previous dragon bones just disappear and a new dragon spawns every time.

Leave the poor town alone you dragons :(

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Do plants grow back? Or even less likely, do mineral veins regenerate?

Weapons said:
I have been to Riverwood a couple of times to get some Ebony Ingots and there are damn dragons there almost every time!

Oddly enough, the previous dragon bones just disappear and a new dragon spawns every time.

Leave the poor town alone you dragons :(

I hate when they spawn in towns, they always kill NPC's I like! Ugh... and I can never get to them in time. Hopefully I'm not losing quests when this happens.

NBtoaster

flyinpiranha said:
I've kept stuff in my college room and it hasn't reset. I know I've spent more than 73 hours in the game since putting stuff there.

Are you saying the College chests will delete my shit?!

Well they might. Some chests reset and some don't. It's up to you if you want to risk it.

I haven't done the college yet, but if you've been told the room is yours and you can put stuff there, it might be okay.

The ones in your houses are guaranteed not to reset though.

Zeliard

Did you guys get a dragon fight while climbing the 7000 steps? Curious if that was a scripted encounter or not. It was just a regular brown dragon.

Zeliard said:
Did you guys get a dragon fight while climbing the 7000 steps? Curious if that was a scripted encounter or not. It was just a regular brown dragon.

I just asked this question a few posts ago. I did get into a fight with a dragon. Specifically when I met an NPC who started talking to me about my dragon encounter.

From the posts above I'd say it wasn't scripted.

Izayoi

Banned
Evolved1 said:
Awesome, thanks man.
Aye. You'll get real familiar with that wait timer when mining rare ore.

Zeliard said:
I didn't. It was a random encounter.

Arjen

Zeliard said:

Nope, just an ice troll.

Zeliard

DoctorWho said:
I just asked this question a few posts ago. I did get into a fight with a dragon. Specifically when I met an NPC who started talking to me about my dragon encounter.

From the posts above I'd say it wasn't scripted.

Sorry, I have a habit of sort of skipping over spoilered posts. :p

But that's very interesting, since I got to that same NPC right before the dragon triggered. It was that final female NPC who was meditating in front of one of the tablets, right?

Maybe there's just a percentage chance a dragon will spawn at that particular moment.

I'm going to have to replace Lydia. As useful as she is, I'm playing as a sneaky assassin and her damn armour keeps giving me away. Have to keep telling her to wait whilst I go stab stuff, then run back to her when I'm done / need help. Not very efficient.

NBtoaster said:
Well they might. Some chests reset and some don't. It's up to you if you want to risk it.

I haven't done the college yet, but if you've been told the room is yours and you can put stuff there, it might be okay.

The ones in your houses are guaranteed not to reset though.

Damn, I've been storing stuff there for a few hours of gametime including waiting for people to spawn ... hope all my shit is there. If not I'll have to redo a bunch of shit.

Now I have to wait through work until I get home to see! This sucks.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I believe Bethesda mentioned most of the dragon encounters are completely random aka they spawn when/where they like and do what they want. Dragons just don't give a fuck. They OG like that. Respect it.

Zeliard

MrPing1000 said:
I'm going to have to replace Lydia. As useful as she is, I'm playing as a sneaky assassin and her damn armour keeps giving me away. Have to keep telling her to wait whilst I go stab stuff, then run back to her when I'm done / need help. Not very efficient.

I recruited the Dark Elf Conjurer lady from the Mage College. Our battles get pretty hectic since we're both fond of summoning stuff.

Zeliard said:
Sorry, I have a habit of sort of skipping over spoilered posts. :p

But that's very interesting, since I got to that same NPC right before the dragon triggered. It was that final female NPC who was meditating in front of one of the tablets, right?

Maybe there's just a percentage chance a dragon will spawn at that particular moment.

That's the one. She helped me slay the dragon along with Lydia. Made it an easy fight.

Anteater

MrPing1000 said:

Is this why everyone keeps spotting me? /mindblown

Kaako said:
I believe Bethesda mentioned most of the dragon encounters are completely random aka they spawn when/where they like and do what they want. Dragons just don't give a fuck. They OG like that. Respect it.

Strange that some of us have had a very similar encounter with a dragon on the 7000 steps while others didn't have it at all.

I wonder if it's based on stats? Maybe time of day? I could barely tell you what time it was since the snow was so thick up there.

Wilbur

Banned
Shimmermist Cave, fuck me. Took me an hour to get through, and fucking no reward at the end. Fuck the Falmer.

Also, accidentally saved over my first file whoops. So now I'm a badass Nord who looks like the wrester Goldberg, rocking shield and mace with leather armour.

Question: my one handed is mid 40s, smithing mid 30s, same with light armour and block, and archery is mid 20s. If I want to start implementing a bit of strong destruction magic for dragons and whatnot, is the best way about this now to use it? I'm level 12, I don't want it to debilitate my others skills as I'm awesome at slashing shit right now.

Zeliard

Anteater said:
Is this why everyone keeps spotting me? /mindblown

Heavy armor is definitely nosier so it could very well be it. If you want to keep heavy armor and continue sneaking without taking it off every time, consider grabbing something like the Muffle spell.

iNvid02

i thought your stealth meter and NPC's following you was seperate.
so unless lydia runs out and starts attacking your good (which she never does unless i do)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
DoctorWho said:
Strange that some of us have had a very similar encounter with a dragon on the 7000 steps while others didn't have it at all.
So they may not be as random as it seems. I had to fight that damn ice troll. I wanted a dragon soul damnit.

Kaako said:
So they may not be as random as it seems. I had to fight that damn ice troll. I wanted a dragon soul damnit.

Maybe it's based on time-of-day?

Edit: Strange, my first reply to this didn't show up in the thread. I wonder where it went. I hit reply, the page loaded and my reply wasn't there.

MEATER

I left Lydia in Whiterun for some reason (told her to wait) - now I got a message that my follower didn't want to wait any longer and left.

Can I get her back?

I didn't find her running through Whiterun :(

webrunner

MEATER said:
I left Lydia in Whiterun for some reason (told her to wait) - now I got a message that my follower didn't want to wait any longer and left.

Can I get her back?

She'll either be in the keep near the Jarl, in your house, or wandering around whiterun.

If you have a house and she isn't there, wait for a few hours and she will be (she just hasn't got around there yet)

MEATER said:

Can I get her back?

WTF? She was sworn to do as you asked. I'd kill her for her disobedience.

Arjen

I love that the skeleton of the dragon that attacked Whiterun (not the scripted dragon) is still covering most of the giant tree.

cackhyena

MEATER said:

Can I get her back?

She's always in the Jarl's main hall there.

just got a new tv and noticed some input lag that isn't terrible, but is noticeable enough to be an annoyance. thought it was the tv but then noticed it was only skyrim. haven't tried all my games yet, but im willing to bet it's the graphically intensive games that this happens to. all my PSN games and a handful of others were just fine. (and yes, i turned all enhancements off like smoothing and correction etc. etc. and no change) /themoreyouknow

currently:
-having trouble finding ore veins and/or stuff better than iron/steel/silver
-found an elven bow but can't improve it till i get moonstone
-haven't fought any dragons yet
-level 9
-disappointed that i am still unable to down an elk with one sneak shot arrow, even with a fire bow and steel arrows. hunting them is overall extremely frustrating atm, even at night and with my relatively high sneak skill.
-combat feels more satisfying now despite there hardly being any changes that i can tell other than the animations
-spray-style destruction spells are WAY SUPERIOR than the poof-ball style like in oblivion. i can actually hit people when panic firing now.
-wish they hadn't removed acrobatics and running. all i have is sprint now, and with jumping i can just...... jump more times thru more stamina? dumb.
-at first i missed being able to repair weapons but now im glad it's gone.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
DoctorWho said:
Maybe it's based on time-of-day?

Edit: Strange, my first reply to this didn't show up in the thread. I wonder where it went. I hit reply, the page loaded and my reply wasn't there.
Perhaps Mr. Howard can shed some light on the dragon-spawn-algorithm they have going on in this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom