• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

MrBig

Yeah, the collision boxes are way too simple in certain areas. Like for example in dungeons, where you're on a corner and next to some door frame, you can see the enemy between the wall and the door frame (so you don't need to expose your body), but when you try to kill them you just hit an invisible wall. Those collision boxes are also polygons that have to be calculated so they can't go very detailed with them, but sometimes it feels like some are quite too simple.

They can be as simple as necessary but they shouldn't be so much larger than the rendered geometry as the collision geometry is in some places

Woorloog

Banned
You can actually see Red Mountain from inside Skyrim: at least, I think it's Red Mountain. From Windhelm, head towards the Sea of Ghosts, and keep going North. You'll hit the barrier eventually, but if you look to your east, you'll see an arm of Morrowind stretching out and behind that the landmass of Vvardenfell, including Red Mountain.

Okay, but there is no way to see White-Gold Tower. If the map were fully rotateable, it could be seen. So...

Dammit. I need a house with safe containers. I need it now... obtaining Honeyside requires ridiculous amount of fetch quest that require rare materials. I don't want Breezehome as i'm not even starting the main quest properly anytime soon. Windhelm house requires choosing a side in the civil war and i'm not ready to do that. Solitude house costs way too much at the moment. Besides, haven't visited the whole place yet...

Mik2121

No... that's her room. Your room is the smaller one that you don't use.

Bu...but, her bed says 'owned' and yours doesn't! :( I wonder what would happen if you sleep in that owned bed? Will she call the guards? For sleeping in your own house?

Also, can you kill her? Because there are 3 people in Whiterun that I want to kill...

1) Lydia.
2) The two mercenaries, soldiers, whatever redguard guys near the entrance.

Seriously, I think one day I will just go and try to kill them. But first I wanna kill Lydia or at least have her stay outside the house.

Gravijah

Bu...but, her bed says 'owned' and yours doesn't! :( I wonder what would happen if you sleep in that owned bed? Will she call the guards? For sleeping in your own house?

Also, can you kill her? Because there are 3 people in Whiterun that I want to kill...

1) Lydia.
2) The two mercenaries, soldiers, whatever redguard guys near the entrance.

Seriously, I think one day I will just go and try to kill them. But first I wanna kill Lydia or at least have her stay outside the house.

if you're gonna kill lydia, at least have a giant kill her so her body can go flying.

Dresden

How does dual-wielding work in this game, Dresden? I haven't tried it yet. I've heard it could potentially double melee damage, but how is that so? Do your weapons strike faster when you're dual-wielding? In my experience, they swing just as fast.

There's a perk that'll boost swing speed while dual wielding by 35% overall, and then the power attacks (which are either 3- or 4-hit combos) get a boost in damage from the dual-wield side of the One Handed tree. I've been noticing the swing speed increases and no doubt it'll be hugely powerful once you unlock Elemental Fury, but I've been bored by it because you basically spam each weapon until things die with no real regard for blocking or distance or anything like that.

if you're gonna kill lydia, at least have a giant kill her so her body can go flying.

That never works. She just lands far, far away and recuperates. You'll get a message a few days later saying she got tired of waiting and left.

There's a perk that'll boost swing speed by 35% overall, and then the power attacks (which are either 3- or 4-hit combos) get a boost in damage from the dual-wield side of the One Handed tree. I've been noticing the swing speed increases and no doubt it'll be hugely powerful once you unlock that Elemental Fury, but I've been bored by it because you basically spam each weapon until things die with no real regard for blocking or distance or anything like that.
So it's dependent on the perk? Okay, that explains things. Thanks.

Woorloog

Banned
Dammit. I need a house with safe containers. I need it now... obtaining Honeyside requires ridiculous amount of fetch quest that require rare materials. I don't want Breezehome as i'm not even starting the main quest properly anytime soon. Windhelm house requires choosing a side in the civil war and i'm not ready to do that. Solitude house costs way too much at the moment. Besides, haven't visited the whole place yet...

Additional question: is DB Sanctuary safe to store items by the way? Also, what's the difference beetween Shrouded Hand wraps (one handed weapon sneak attack bonus) and Shrouded Gloves (Backstab bonus)?

Grinchy

Banned
Zzzzzz at the über-long dungeons for the College quests. Can't wait until Labyrinthian is over, but so far, the dungeon's a ton better than the one that preceded it (the Dwemer ruin).
I just did the Dwemer ruin myself; HOLY SHIT it's seemingly endless!

Most annoying enemies thus far too.

Turned it off when I arrived at the Labyrinthian because I just wasn't in the mood, lol.

lol as a mage, these college quests are some of the earliest ones I'm doing. I didn't know if every dungeon was this long or not. I was in the Labyrinthian for so fucking long before I decided I had to just turn it off and take a break. I had just done the Dwemer one too.

These dungones are loooooooooong

Mik2121

lol as a mage, these college quests are some of the earliest ones I'm doing. I didn't know if every dungeon was this long or not. I was in the Labyrinthian for so fucking long before I decided I had to just turn it off and take a break. I had just done the Dwemer one too.

Are those dungeons doable as a weak mage? (ie, using normal weapons, bows, etc..).

I want them dead too. I never followed them to see where they do. Are they there at night?
Yeah, they're there ALL THE TIME. At any given hour, just standing there. Ugh... Every time I enter I have to hear them talk :/

Dresden

Additional question: is DB Sanctuary safe to store items by the way? Also, what's the difference beetween Shrouded Hand wraps (one handed weapon sneak attack bonus) and Shrouded Gloves (Backstab bonus)?

The first affects all one handed weapons so it'll boost sneak damage from stuff like swords and axes. The second only affects daggers, I think.

Durante

Zzzzzz at the über-long dungeons for the College quests. Can't wait until Labyrinthian is over, but so far, the dungeon's a ton better than the one that preceded it (the Dwemer ruin).
The problem with that Dwemer ruin really isn't the length, I like large dungeons. The problem is that it's more corridoor-y than Final Fantasy XIII, and has no puzzles or other interesting variation. The dungeon gameplay in Skyrim is generally great, but it makes you realize just how much better they could have done with the layouts.

Salaadin

Yeah, they're there ALL THE TIME. At any given hour, just standing there. Ugh... Every time I enter I have to hear them talk :/
I think they're bugged. I've never seen them leave that spot.
Don't they go to Rorikstead after you talk to them?.

Ive never seen them leave. I even did the quest that theyre semi-involved in but theyre just chillin there. I might murder them and go to jail just for the hell of it just to get rid of them.

Philthy

I've been bored by it because you basically spam each weapon until things die with no real regard for blocking or distance or anything like that.

This is true, which I guess is why I liked it, and what I was expecting. Your character basically becomes a meat grinder that most enemies have no defense for. Before this, I was circle strafing with a 1H axe, while my other hand shot flames or ice or what have you. It worked, and you had to pay attention sometimes.

Pretty happy with the play styles the game is offering to be honest.

Realyn

I killed Giants and Mammuths in the low 20 ´s

Companion with full Heavy Ebony Armor + Ice Summon + Resurect dead shrine =~6 Summons > Standing behind the Giant and spamming the Dual Wield Mouse1+Mouse2 power attack + stamina pots= dead in like 10-15 seconds.

Dresden

I can't find any perk that lets you cast spells for free? Is all my points in mana a waste then?

You can enchant your gear to make certain schools of spells free to cast, or nearly free.

And no, points in mana aren't a waste unless you exclusively cast that school or two you chose to enchant for.

scy

I can't find any perk that lets you cast spells for free? Is all my points in mana a waste then?

High level Enchanters don't pay for spells is a better way to put it, really. You can use Enchants to reduce the casting cost of an entire school of magic to 0%. With the 100 Enchanting perk, you can do this to two schools. Magicka is still nice to have for those other schools but I don't find myself casting those ones all that often, honestly.

BobDylan

So I bought skyrim this past sunday. I knew what oblivion was but never really played it. I like the concept of the game and how much their was to do so I figured I would pick up skyrim. so far the game is pretty amazing. I have spent a majority of my time around whiterun and just exploring the map. I started the main story but stopped at the greybeards. Im about 15 hours in and really feel like I havnt even started. Not really sure about all the crafting and whatnot but starting to understand. for now im doing small quests and just getting used to things. so far I have encountered 5 dragons, usually when I discover a place for the first time a dragon will appear. ill let it kill all the bandits and then ill finish it off. last night I decided I wanted to take a journey out to riften so I bought a horse and set out. it was a long journey and I did die along the way but it was really incredible for a videogame. really happy with the purchase of this game. I was debating to get AC but I wanted something new. It just blows my mind with how much there is to do and endless places to travel to.

Grinchy

Banned
Are those dungeons doable as a weak mage? (ie, using normal weapons, bows, etc..).

I only really use Dest and Conj so far for offense, playing on expert. Labyrinthian has been a relatively tough area. I basically take 2 hits from anything and I'm dead so I have to use my companion (who just died) and summons.

I could be wrong, but I'd assume that you'd have an easier time if you can do good bow damage and melee damage. Once I'm out of MP, I'm pretty screwed. If you have a companion who can tank a little bit you should be ok. There were a couple really hard fights for me.

High level Enchanters don't pay for spells is a better way to put it, really. You can use Enchants to reduce the casting cost of an entire school of magic to 0%. With the 100 Enchanting perk, you can do this to two schools. Magicka is still nice to have for those other schools but I don't find myself casting those ones all that often, honestly.

Enchanting: With great power comes great responsibility.

It can be abused to high hell. Not saying the free spells are exploitation, but it is what it is.

Rengoku

Has anyone killed a giant? What level were you?

My first giant kill was around level 7, it was pretty rough, but I eventually found a nice big rock that I could circle around continuously to keep a safe distance away while blasting the giant with my puny spells.

I discovered a few days ago that I can bump an enemy with my raised shield, interrupting their attack animation. Completely changes the combat! Equipped with a 50% fire resistant Legendary shield and Legendary Nightingale sword w/ life steak, I am a flawless victory dragon killing machine.

Danneee

You can enchant your gear to make certain schools of spells free to cast, or nearly free.

And no, points in mana aren't a waste unless you exclusively cast that school or two you chose to enchant for.

Oh, thanks! (to you too scy)

Are there any good ways to level enchanting quickly?

It's an Elders Scrolls tradition at this point to make the mage quest line the dullest, lamest one in the game.

TheContact

I was fighting a giant and Lydai got SMASHED by a giant and Lydia went flying way up in the air. I proceeded to kill the giant, then a few seconded later Lydia fell almost right on top of the giant's corpse. She got back up and seemed ok =p

kodt

Banned
Ive never seen them leave. I even did the quest that theyre semi-involved in but theyre just chillin there. I might murder them and go to jail just for the hell of it just to get rid of them.

Yeah I did the quest, and they left for a bit, but then later came back and had no dialog options. I got sick of them, so I just murdered then. I found a spot where I could snipe them with my bow while hidden, was able to kill both without alerting any guards. There bodies now lie in the water beneath the bridge they were standing on.

Dresden

By the way, Bound Bow is so sick. It's a free daedric bow with 100 daedric arrows. At lower levels it's pretty destructive.

scy

Buy the ever loving shit out of every pre-filled Petty, Lesser, and Common (Greater and Grand if you don't care about the gold spent) Soul Gem and then Enchant Iron Daggers or some cheaply made Smithing item with some Enchant. Go through what Enchants you have and see what gives you the highest value and keep Enchanting things with that.

Alternatively, get the Black Star (Daedric quest reward) and make a weapon that casts Soul Trap on hit. Kill a Human enemy and then immediately use their Soul to recharge your weapon. Repeat.

Also, in case you didn't know, use the Disenchant option at the Enchanting table to get new Enchants.

Durante

Actually, it's hard to level enchanting slowly enough so that it doesn't feel like cheating! (you gain levels extremely quickly by just enchanting random loot with weak soul gems)

scy

Enchanting: With great power comes great responsibility.

It can be abused to high hell. Not saying the free spells are exploitation, but it is what it is.

I wouldn't really call it an exploit, per se, but yeah, it's really, really cheesy. Coupled with Impact, it pretty much makes a Destruction Mage a stun machine that cares not about what it's trying to kill. Alright, sure, they may take a few more hits to kill than if you went Smithing and made epic weapons but they can't do a damn thing to you while you stunlock them forever.

hah all this enchant stuff makes me want to do this and munchkin my character out. I want to be a god of destruction and conjuration.

All things said, it can be nice to feel that powerful. Enchanting is definitely the quintessential skill of Skyrim. Wonder if they'll ever nerf it.

I killed a giant at level 20 recently. Got my frost atronarch to tank and made him stagger with dual casted firebolts. Went down relatively easily. Tried it on another giant, but then his mammoth started attacking me and i couldn't get away. Though I did get confirmation that yes, giants can still one-shot me at this level.

Any mages out there know how to level up illusion well? It doesn't seem like there are many bread and butter combat spells to use frm the tree. I know I'm going to want invisibility spells once I start the thieves guild quests... maybe I'll just buy training from the mage's guild.

I never got it to do that for me. I must be unlucky.

Seems like it procs every other mob for me, and then if I have a difficult fight and die/reload it will likely proc on the 2nd try making that fight really easy. I'm playing on master difficulty and I hope the game still has some challenge left, I can already one shot pretty much anything if I get a sneak attack even without that weapon.

Dresden

I killed a giant at level 20 recently. Got my frost atronarch to tank and made him stagger with dual casted firebolts. Went down relatively easily. Tried it on another giant, but then his mammoth started attacking me and i couldn't get away. Though I did get confirmation that yes, giants can still one-shot me at this level.

Any mages out there know how to level up illusion well? It doesn't seem like there are many bread and butter combat spells to use frm the tree. I know I'm going to want invisibility spells once I start the thieves guild quests... maybe I'll just buy training from the mage's guild.
Cast Muffle.

Top Bottom