• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Introducing my new character.

Name: Kali'Reyah of the Red Sands
Race: Khajiit, suthay-raht
Sex: Female
Primary Skill: Unarmed Combat, supplemented by heavy armor, enchanting, and smithing
Secondary Skills: Restoration, Alteration, Alchemy

Kali'Reyah was born barefoot, and so she would remain. The pads of her hind paws tread across the blistering desert sands of northern Elsweyr, the verdant fields of southern Cyrodiil, the volcanic wasteland of Morrowind and its environs. She was born into a tumultuous age - the Empire had fallen, the great Khajiiti Manes consolidated power, established fortified city-states, and left a great swath of Elsweyr in chaos. The Thalmor would come, courting the Manes. Some fell under their sway, some resisted. Those that resisted were crushed, more often than not. The young suthay-raht was born into a world where power was confused with justice. She saw her countrymen become confused, and knew that this could not be her way.

So she travelled. Her's was a world of patchwork people and traditions. She would come to adopt the ways of the Khajiiti Clan Mothers, preserving the stories and myths of her people in a world that was slowly beginning to forget itself. Her travels would necessitate self-defense, and so she improvised. She combined the Khajiiti martial arts styles of Goutfang, Whispering Claw, and Rawlith Khaj into a style all her own - the eponymous Red Sands style, which encourages the user to be as fluid and illusive as the desert sands she called home. In her own words, "Have you ever tried to throttle a sand dune by the neck, Ja? It is stationary and yet it is not. To continue pursuing the impossible is a foolish endeavour." Kali'Reyah would come to spend more time on the caravan roads of Tamriel than she ever did in her home, but her desire to test herself in battle remained. She would find meaning through combat as a clashing of wills. It was not out of cruelty, as she would never initiate an attack. Fighting became a means to inner-peace.

Some would say that her claws were her most deadly weapon, but she would vehemently disagree with such an assertion. "It is not the claws, but the will to use them. It is not the spell, but the knowledge to make it possible. In my travels, I have told many stories and heard infinitely more. Many would scoff at the idea of using a story as a weapon, it is Thjizzrini, foolish. Every action is a story, and every story holds a lesson." Kali'Reyah took this philosophy to heart.

She is now considered renrij, or landless. Adopting the nomadic tendencies of her early ancestors, she treks far and wide in search of that one good story - the one myth to tie them all together. With drum, lute, and flute she gives voice to her stories. With her claws, she gives them form and force. At one time a roving bard, at another a warrior-monk, Kali'Reyah of the Red Sands would eventually find herself crossing the border into Skyrim in search of adventure.

The rest is a story for another day, and perhaps her greatest tale yet.

webrunner

Doing Dark Brotherhood quests...

Thanks, Argonian dude. But uh, I have it covered. I killed her and nobody is after me. But if you want to go fight, that's up to you, I'll just fast travel back to the Sanctuary. Thanks, bye.

What's wrong with the Falmer? Do they start showing up in a lot of dungeons or something? I've only encountered them in one location I think, and they were easy to dispose of for me. I even used one of their bows for a time.

They're a fairly common enemy type, yes. Its their numbers and poison that make them annoying. God help you if you're stuck fighting a Falmer/Chaurus combo...

Einbroch

Banned
What's wrong with the Falmer? Do they start showing up in a lot of dungeons or something? I've only encountered them in one location I think, and they were easy to dispose of for me. I even used one of their bows for a time.

They gang up on you, they poison, the casters are very powerful, some have insane amounts of HP, they're fast....

I just hate them.

They're a fairly common enemy type, yes. Its their numbers and poison that make them annoying. God help you if you're stuck fighting a Falmer/Chaurus combo...

Been there and done that. I guess I've just been fortunate so far. They haven't been anything more than a speed bump while fighting them so far. The Charurus was far more difficult for me.

GhaleonEB

They gang up on you, they poison, the casters are very powerful, some have insane amounts of HP, they're fast....

I just hate them.

I've found them to be manageable if I am able to engage them from long range. Their blindness makes it pretty easy to chain sneak attacks on.

These are the guys that just decimated me in that four-hour dungeon crawl I did last week, back when I was around level 10. I was clearly in territory leveled far higher, as I haven't had nearly as many issues since then.

What slays me - literally - are the uber-Drager. I'll put an arrow in them and have to squint to see the difference in their health bar. Plus, I can't poison them.

Been there and done that. I guess I've just been fortunate so far. They haven't been anything more than a speed bump while fighting them so far. The Charurus was far more difficult for me.

They chaurus are the worst part, I agree. They don't look like they'd be that threatening.

They are also blind. Might want to give sneaking a try when you encounter them next.

You mean they're actually blind? Not like the blind deathclaws in New Vegas, who are only blind in name? Interesting...

Hugs

Nice Deified Data, cool backstory. I love it when people put a bit of story into the games themselves. So are you planning on going bare-knuckle brawling?

Nice Deified Data, cool backstory. I love it when people put a bit of story into the games themselves. So are you planning on going bare-knuckle brawling?
Thanks. =) Some might think it dorky, but I think of an extensive backstory for every one of my characters.

I'm using heavy armor gauntlets as my "weapons", took the heavy armor perk that adds their armor rating to your unarmed attack. I'm hitting incredibly hard right now. Lv.12 and only picking up momentum. Unarmed in Skyrim is definitely viable.

Level 50 reached. Sweet.

Now I still want to get my Enchanting skill up to 100, though, and get some crazy gear for Wulf. Then it's time for him to retire.

So I'm a blood starved vampire now. I don't think I look any different than before., but a solider attacked me without warning and I ran away. The powers are nice, but useless if I can only use them once a day.

I need to get rid of this.

So I'm a blood starved vampire now. I don't think I look any different than before., but a solider attacked me without warning and I ran away. The powers are nice, but useless if I can only use them once a day.

I need to get rid of this.

You need to feed, can be a pain in the ass, in the end i decided to cure my vampirism, i just wasnt having fun with it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Man, so I guess Histskin makes you pretty much invincible? Heard that was the case for Argonians.

Unless an enemy damn near one shots you, pretty much. It's basically a once a day freebie on a tough enemy, I use it when I see a blood dragon.

You need to feed, can be a pain in the ass, in the end i decided to cure my vampirism, i just wasnt having fun with it.
I know that I need to feed, but I wanted to see what I get, when I'm blood starved. Embrace of Shadows is very cool, but once again, useless if limited to only once per day.

A tip for the cure? I can't find any hints in-game. I wish there was a vampire quest, like in Oblivion.

Interfectum

For the past 10 hours or so in-game I've not directly attacked a single thing.

100 conjurer + stealth + quiet cast perk = summon two demons, loot bodies and sneak/look around while they kill everything

bengraven

I hate once a day powers, much like scrolls.

Call me lazy, but having to flip through my menus for an item that either can't be used for several more game minutes/hours or gets destroyed right away isn't worth it.

Also: CK news yet?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
fKAk4.png
Aha, I like that. Might make them my upgrade, my Dwarven daggers aren't really my style.

Glass daggers sound cool too, anybody have a shot of them?

Hugs

Thanks. =) Some might think it dorky, but I think of an extensive backstory for every one of my characters.

I'm using heavy armor gauntlets as my "weapons", took the heavy armor perk that adds their armor rating to your unarmed attack. I'm hitting incredibly hard right now. Lv.12 and only picking up momentum. Unarmed in Skyrim is definitely viable.

Yeah I remember seeing a thread on Giant Bomb a few days back where someone had gone to great lengths to outline how such a class would work. I'm sure once you get and Alchemy-Enchanting-Smithing loop going it should become easier. What's your Iron Dagger count?

Call me lazy, but having to flip through my menus for an item that either can't be used for several more game minutes/hours or gets destroyed right away isn't worth it.

I have Battle Cry in my favorites, though I hardly ever use it anymore. It was handy when some enemies could destroy me, but now everything I touch instantly dies out of fear.

Reuenthal

Banned

Does that bonus add up to the Khajiit claws bonus?

Yeah I remember seeing a thread on Giant Bomb a few days back where someone had gone to great lengths to outline how such a class would work. I'm sure once you get and Alchemy-Enchanting-Smithing loop going it should become easier. What's your Iron Dagger count?

Hah, only 17 so far, I'm trying to procure current equipment before I start cheesing enchantment. Enchantment's at 40 or so at the moment. I'm off to a good start.

Does that bonus add up to the Khajiit claws bonus?

Yup, it all stacks. Anyone know unarmed's base damage? Like how much an Imperial do with his fists? I know the Khajiit Claw bonus does +15 damage, plus the armor rating of your gauntlets and any other Unarmed enchantments you have. Just trying to calculate how much damage I'm doing so I can compare it to weapons.

moop1167

Introducing my new character.

Name: Kali'Reyah of the Red Sands
Race: Khajiit, suthay-raht
Sex: Female
Primary Skill: Unarmed Combat, supplemented by heavy armor, enchanting, and smithing
Secondary Skills: Restoration, Alteration, Alchemy

Kali'Reyah was born barefoot, and so she would remain. The pads of her hind paws tread across the blistering desert sands of northern Elsweyr, the verdant fields of southern Cyrodiil, the volcanic wasteland of Morrowind and its environs. She was born into a tumultuous age - the Empire had fallen, the great Khajiiti Manes consolidated power, established fortified city-states, and left a great swath of Elsweyr in chaos. The Thalmor would come, courting the Manes. Some fell under their sway, some resisted. Those that resisted were crushed, more often than not. The young suthay-raht was born into a world where power was confused with justice. She saw her countrymen become confused, and knew that this could not be her way.

So she travelled. Her's was a world of patchwork people and traditions. She would come to adopt the ways of the Khajiiti Clan Mothers, preserving the stories and myths of her people in a world that was slowly beginning to forget itself. Her travels would necessitate self-defense, and so she improvised. She combined the Khajiiti martial arts styles of Goutfang, Whispering Claw, and Rawlith Khaj into a style all her own - the eponymous Red Sands style, which encourages the user to be as fluid and illusive as the desert sands she called home. In her own words, "Have you ever tried to throttle a sand dune by the neck, Ja? It is stationary and yet it is not. To continue pursuing the impossible is a foolish endeavour." Kali'Reyah would come to spend more time on the caravan roads of Tamriel than she ever did in her home, but her desire to test herself in battle remained. She would find meaning through combat as a clashing of wills. It was not out of cruelty, as she would never initiate an attack. Fighting became a means to inner-peace.

Some would say that her claws were her most deadly weapon, but she would vehemently disagree with such an assertion. "It is not the claws, but the will to use them. It is not the spell, but the knowledge to make it possible. In my travels, I have told many stories and heard infinitely more. Many would scoff at the idea of using a story as a weapon, it is Thjizzrini, foolish. Every action is a story, and every story holds a lesson." Kali'Reyah took this philosophy to heart.

She is now considered renrij, or landless. Adopting the nomadic tendencies of her early ancestors, she treks far and wide in search of that one good story - the one myth to tie them all together. With drum, lute, and flute she gives voice to her stories. With her claws, she gives them form and force. At one time a roving bard, at another a warrior-monk, Kali'Reyah of the Red Sands would eventually find herself crossing the border into Skyrim in search of adventure.

The rest is a story for another day, and perhaps her greatest tale yet.

I think you're a little too into this.

NinjaBoiX

When can I buy my first house? I hear the first one available is in Whiterun after doing a mission called "Dragonstone". Is this true? I'm doing "Cornered Rat" right now.

Guys, where on earth do I find a damn Ice Wolf? Or where can I at least by an Ice Wolf Pelt!!

I've search all over and I never come across one!

kodt

Banned

I don't hate once a day powered, but I never remember to use them. I have never once used Histskin. And I also have the Shadow Stone for once a day invisibility, and have never once used it.

bengraven

I have Battle Cry in my favorites, though I hardly ever use it anymore. It was handy when some enemies could destroy me, but now everything I touch instantly dies out of fear.

As Imperial, I have the Voice of The Emperor. I mean...what good is that for once a day? Calm humanoids? Why? Either I'm trying to kill them or not.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When can I buy my first house? I hear the first one available is in Whiterun after doing a mission called "Dragonstone". Is this true? I'm doing "Cornered Rat" right now.

Just do the quests given by the Jarl. It's like the second one. The first one might have already been done depending on how dungeon explory you are.

There's no Cliff Racer equivalent that I've seen and for that we should be thankful.

The closest equivilent would be dragons, I guess, in that they come out of nowhere, fly around, and annoy melee fighters by staying out of reach. Glad they don't swam you. That's key.

pringles

Someone said it best.

"Wolves are the Cliffracers of Skyrim."

No, Dragons are the Cliffracers of Skyrim.

Way too frequent imo.

When the first info on the dragons was revealed it sounded like there would only be a set number of dragons in the world, each unique. That sounded awesome. Especially if each would be guarding their own area or mountain-top.

But random dragons swooping down and keeping me occupied with an annoying fight for 10 minutes once or twice every hour, killing NPCs that lead to quests failing, ruining it when I'm trying to stealth and just generally fucking things up, that's no fun.

Imo the dragons in this game are disappointing and I wish I hadn't advanced the mainquest to make them appear everywhere. Hopefully they go away after the mainquest is done.

Guys, a question. I've been reading the Fourth Era timeline on the UESP, and in relation to the Mages Guild, they mention:

4E 201 — The Dovahkiin saves the College of Winterhold as well as the city of Winterhold
In a Thalmor plot to seize power from an ancient artifact known as the Eye of Magnus, which was discovered during an expedition to the ancient ruins of Saarthal. The Psijic Order were also involved aiding the Dovahkiin in stopping the Thalmor and safely securing the Eye.

Is this just worded weirdly, or does the College questline often refer to
you being the Dragonborn
?

pakkit

Banned
The Falmer are NOTHING to my stealth mage archer. I just sneak and slit throats like nobodies business. Once I figured out that they were blind, that is.

I also managed to one-hit-kill a dragon yesterday. Feels good, feels real good.

Top Bottom