• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Darkman M

I'm dreaming of mods that completely rework the loot (which I'm sure will happen) system and the economy system in the game. Money needs to either be harder to get or there needs to be a lot more useful things to buy. This game would be so much better with those 2 things.

We just need more shit to buy, like 100,000 gold cribs and gold saddles with the chrome horseshoes.

Well I made a Nord warrior named Thor with a giant hammer, so going Imperial could be a little awkward :p

On my argonian assassin I went Imperial which kinda made things weird after the dark brotherhood questline.

My character's a Nord and he went with the Empire. The Nords built the Empire, so there's nothing really awkward about it.

Woorloog

Banned
I keep making new character again and again. Hard to find THE character. It's the darn perks, i cannot be everything... So, arguably the system is succesful. Well, almost. Pure skill is meaningless really.
I'd like to have light armor wearing, sword'n'board necromancer assassin enchanter smith archer thief battlemage alchemist vampire werewolf (you cannot be both at the same time).

Currently playing a necromancer. Yesterday i played High Elf assassin/thief. Earlier than that i played warrior and then battlemage.

Maybe i should keep it simple and play the game as i originally intented to play it on the first playthrough: Conan the Barbarian-esque warrior. Of course this has one problem: I'd love to use shields rather than two-handed sword. But my vision of the warrior requires two-handed swords. Spending perks on both is not feasible... unless i use most of my money to train one skill.

Regardless of this, i love this game. It took me over a year before i finished Morrowind, i kept making new characters and tried different mods. Same with Oblivion.

Deciding beetween Stormcloaks and Imperials is hard. Both factions have good points, both factions are interesting.

i-Lo

Okay, so i just finished the first side mission at Bleak Falls and now I am wondering should I buy the books of magic from the store owner, Jarl (to who I give back the
golden claw
) or should I scrounge around in other places? They aren't that expensive but being an imperial, I am somewhat of a miser :p

I keep making new character again and again. Hard to find THE character. It's the darn perks, i cannot be everything... So, arguably the system is succesful. Well, almost. Pure skill is meaningless really.
I'd like to have light armor wearing, sword'n'board necromancer assassin enchanter smith archer thief battlemage alchemist vampire werewolf (you cannot be both at the same time)

Wulf.

hey all.. i just bought this game and started today. what better day than to play on turkey day weekend right? anyways, not having played any of the elder scroll's game before, any strategic tips for beginners? i'm starting to read the wikia but man, it's overwhelming with information. i'm playing a wood elf, focusing on archery and thieve/combat skills. any tips in where to go and which quest to do in the beginning to level up and get the best equipment would be appreciated.

Empire. Stormcloaks are racist assholes.

fpupfmoru.gif

Dresden

hey all.. i just bought this game and started today. what better day than to play on turkey day weekend right? anyways, not having played any of the elder scroll's game before, any strategic tips for beginners? i'm starting to read the wikia but man, it's overwhelming with information. i'm playing a wood elf, focusing on archery and thieve/combat skills. any tips in where to go and which quest to do in the beginning to level up and get the best equipment would be appreciated.

Just follow the npc bro and head to Riverwood. As an archer, sneak around and shoot things. Let the game take care of itself after that, let it come naturally. Best way to enjoy it imo.

SPEA

Go to riften and start the thieves guild quests. You get great starting armor. Have fun!

I'd like to know this, too. I've been taking any soul gem that isn't nailed down, and I'm almost always running out just maintaining my weapons.

Get Azura's Star. It's an infinitely replenishable soul gem.

Right now I'm swimming in money and I've got a blade enchanted with Soul Trap, so I just buy every soul gem I come across, trap souls with them, use them to enchant everything I find, sell those things and gain money in the process.

Once my enchant skill hits 100 I'll be able to just have a blade with a damage spell and soul trap on it, and coupling that with Azura's star will be easy.

i-Lo

Also, as this is my first Elder Scrolls game, I wanted to know whether like Fallout series, do the weapons condition deteriorate over time and usage?

I meant to set out on it, and ended up spending the entire evening exploring the northern coastline. Highlights:

Several small but surprising caves, including one featuring a jump that gave me vertigo.

Exploring a sunken ship.

Sniping mud crabs and plucking nirnroot at dawn.

Going into third person next to a dead mud crab and realizing just how enormous they are.

Zooming into the ultra slow-mo sniper mode with the bow, taking aim at a walking bandit from 50 yards away, leading the shot and one-shot him off a long stone bridge, sending him skittering through the air and along the ground. I find him later and see that I'd put the arrow through the bridge of his nose and out the back of his head. Freakin' bullseye.

Seeing the shadow of a bird, looking up and realizing that's no bird.

Discovering that my stealth skill is good enough to hide from a circling dragon, and watching it look for prey for 2-3 minutes before flying off into the distance. Beautiful and terrifying.

Standing on a rock spire on an island and watching the deep red/orange dusk settle in, and then turning around and literally gasping with awe at the mountains and mist reflecting it. Awesome, in every way.

Two hours just exploring the coastline. No questing, minimal looting, just exploration. And I'm thrilled with how enjoyable it was.

Skyrim is unrelentingly beautiful, and thoroughly brilliant.
Oh yeah. Well, if Skyrim is so great, why doesn't it have a theater mode? HM?

Follow the main quest until it takes you to Whiterun and do what you have to there. You'll then be able to buy a house for 5000 gold. Explore, try out different weapons and tactics, use fast travel to loot and sell everything you find until you have enough gold for the house (you can also upgrade the house to look nicer/have more storage containers/ have an alchemy table and cooking pot). With a base of operations to store stuff, you'll be set up to make the most of your exploring.

And if you're not sure what type of character you are going to play as, save your perks. There's no penalty from deciding that you don't want to be a mage after all and instead want to be a greatsword wielding barbarian, unless you've already put some perks into a particular skill tree.

i-Lo

Not in this game. (Yay!)
In Morrowind and Oblivion weapons and armor needed repairs.

Nope. Pretty sure they stay the same. Thank god.

Great! I don't have to lug around a copy of a weapon or apparel now.

Also, as I asked before, are the spell books sold by Jarl available out for discovery? And if you had around 1200 gold coins, would you spend it buying 5 of the spell books he sells or go scrounging elsewhere?

Great! I don't have to lug around a copy of a weapon or apparel now.

Also, as I asked before, are the spell books sold by Jarl available out for discovery? And if you had around 1200 gold coins, would you spend it buying 5 of the spell books he sells or go scrounging elsewhere?

You can find spell books around the world yes, but it's kinda haphazard. Also 1200 gold isn't going to be all that much in the scheme of things. Better to be equipped and able to go get more loot.

i-Lo

You can find spell books around the world yes, but it's kinda haphazard. Also 1200 gold isn't going to be all that much in the scheme of things. Better to be equipped and able to go get more loot.

Ahh.. the distant view of long term investments for greater reward. Sounds great, thank you.

aasoncott

Right now I'm swimming in money and I've got a blade enchanted with Soul Trap, so I just buy every soul gem I come across, trap souls with them, use them to enchant everything I find, sell those things and gain money in the process.

I guess Soul Trap is the key to replenishing the gems? I've yet to come across that enchantment.

Is it wrong that the only thing I could think about at thanksgiving dinner with my family is how much I'd rather be playing skyrim? Gotta get those silver hand bastards.

i-Lo

A very important query: I just started and am still in Riverwood (completed the quest for Jarl). As such, is there a place I can store my equipments for free?

Stuart444

Just got to Windheim/Windhelm (I forget how it's spelled)...

Not sure if this is a spoiler so...
Saw a couple of Nords bullying a Dunmer... when I went to the Inn, I saw the guy Rolf who was mouthing off because I don't hate Dark Elfs for no reason.

Saved it there and tomorrow the first thing I'm going to do is punch his smug little face in. :D

Enjoying this game quite a bit :D

A very important query: I just started and am still in Riverwood (completed the quest for Jarl). As such, is there a place I can store my equipments for free?

What missions have you completed? As I said above, a little way into the main quest you'll be able to buy a house in Whiterun which you can use for storage.

scy

110 hours later, I've still not done a single Main Quest after the first Dragon.

I should probably do something about that.

The Stormcloaks vs Empire conundrum is the typical WRPG "tough choice", in that both options are more wrong than right.

I think perhaps the real answer would be for Stormcloaks to start a secret war against the Thalmor, until there is not a single one left in Skyrim. And for the Empire to turn a blind eye to it.

Did you get Lydia yet? If not, get Faendal or another companion and just dump the stuff you don't use on him/her for the moment.

Stuart444

Oh btw relating to my last post

If you're a Dunmer, when you get to the town/city I mentioned in my last post, do you get treated just as badly by those prejudiced Nords (and you can still beat up that Rolf guy)?

i-Lo

Did you get Lydia yet?

No, I don't even know where she can be found. Besides, if I wished to go at it alone, I was wondering if I could leave my possessions in a chest at the place of Alvor & Sigrid's house?

What missions have you completed? As I said above, a little way into the main quest you'll be able to buy a house in Whiterun which you can use for storage.

I guess this will have to do.

The Stormcloaks vs Empire conundrum is the typical WRPG "tough choice", in that both options are more wrong than right.

I think perhaps the real answer would be for Stormcloaks to start a secret war against the Thalmor, until there is not a single one left in Skyrim. And for the Empire to turn a blind eye to it.
I sided with the Empire and killed every Thalmor scouting party I came across. To quote Tullius at the conclusion of the Imperial questline:
"Now that this is over we can prepare ourselves for the real war."

Lakitu

st5fu
I don't know. I went to Windhelm and I'm still confused about who to choose. Both seem wrong to me. Ulfric seems like a jerk also.

I don't know. I went to Windhelm and I'm still confused about who to choose. Both seem wrong to me. Ulfric seems like a jerk also.

Lakitu, I've always considered you to be my bro in arms. So there's only one logical option for you: go Empire.

If not, Wulf will drink Black-Briar Mead from your skull.

What are ingots and how does one use them?

They're components you can use in forging armor and weapons. You can go to a forge and check what kinds of things you can make with what ingots and what other components you need.

On the Stormcloaks vs Empire thing: I fully expect there to be a tiny "Skyrim was reunited under an Imperial banner"-tidbit with an unspecified date next to it in the lore for the next game.

Woorloog

Banned
On the Stormcloaks vs Empire thing: I fully expect there to be a tiny "Skyrim was reunited under an Imperial banner"-tidbit with an unspecified date next to it in the lore for the next game.

Yeah, probably. Of course this doesn't necessarily happen right away after the events of Skyrim. If the Empire wins the civil war, there is bitterness and resentment etc for some time and thust the nation is not truly united with the Empire, if Stormcloaks win, what says they stay in power or decide to rejoin the Empire (logically once/if Ulfric is dead or displaced).

And my next character will be like my first one, Nord Warrior. But this time i'll think about the perks and skills more carefully, first time around i spread my perks and skills too thin.
But won't start that one until next tuesday, the weekend is for SWTOR.

what is the best and coolest set of armor in the game?

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vs2O2uous8

What are ingots and how does one use them?

Ingots are bars you smelt from different types of ore. You use them to make weapons and armor at forges.

Get Azura's Star. It's an infinitely replenishable soul gem.

To elaborate on that - get BLACK Azura's Star (you will know when to make the decision).

i know companions use weapons and armor if you give it to them, but does armor actually work to make them more resilient?

are there companions with decend sneaking skills?

So, is there anyone who joined the StormCloaks not just because the made a Nord character but because they thought they are right?

Maybe it's just me but I can't find it in myself to respect the Empire anymore.

AngryMoth

It would have been so much better for smithing and enchanting if you got more xp for making better items/more powerful enchantments. There really is no authentic way to get those stats to 100. You just have to grind iron daggers and petty gems.

Top Bottom