• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Volimar

So, is there anyone who joined the StormCloaks not just because the made a Nord character but because they thought they are right?

Maybe it's just me but I can't find it in myself to respect the Empire anymore.

It's not even the same empire. When I read about how they capitulated to the elves so quickly, banning the worship of Talos...man what pansies. So now they decide they're going to crush the Nords under their heel? I don't think so.

Stuart444

So, is there anyone who joined the StormCloaks not just because the made a Nord character but because they thought they are right?

I wasn't sure who was right so I went with the Imperials.

I'll probably go with Stormcloaks next time but it's a hard choice and both seem wrong really.

Damn, I think I messed up the Stones of
Barenziah quest. I'm pretty sure I missed the one in the Thalmor Embassy and according to the wiki it's a one time deal.

It's not even the same empire. When I read about how they capitulated to the elves so quickly, banning the worship of Talos...man what pansies. So now they decide they're going to crush the Nords under their heel? I don't think so.

Not really. They're shaking hands with the Thalmor with one hand while sharpening a knife with the other. The Thalmor are doing pretty much the same.

Fact of the matter is, the war the Empire fought with the Dominion came rather unexpectedly for the Empire. At the end they could either sign the Concordat or die. The only ones really enforcing the ban on Talos worship law are the Thalmor, you won't see any Imperial soldier doing anything about it. The ban's just there for show, because both sides are licking their wounds and preparing for another go-round.

The Empire needs the Nords, but the Nords need the Empire. If they seccede, the Empire will fall when the next war breaks out. If the Empire falls, nothing will stop the Dominion from conquering them next.

Bethesda really crafted some great lore for this game. I loved what the two novels did, but everything that happened between the novels and the games is just awesome. Part of me misses the "stable" Empire from Morrowind and Oblivion, though.

Visceir

Got my destruction magic up to 100 and...wow is it easy to drop a dragon with that thunder storm master spell. I'm guessing it consumes mad amounts of mana but I got the enchanted equipment that reduces all destructional magic mana cost to 0.

INFINITE DESTRUCTION BEAM!

Woorloog

Banned
Is there any reason not to steal things if nobody is around to see you? There's no karma system, and I can't see any drawbacks.

If you have access to fence, no real reason not to, if you're not playing a good guy/gal. Otherwise... well, how are you going to get rid of stolen items?
Also, stealing items does have a consequence: Sometimes the NPCs send thugs after you.
Very funny when you're in middle of a quest and suddenly a group of thugs meet you.

Anteater

Hurray, crafted myself some magic resist rings and necklaces, hopefully it'll help against magic casters, those bastards are like rocket launchers.

Not really. They're shaking hands with the Thalmor with one hand while sharpening a knife with the other. The Thalmor are doing pretty much the same.

Fact of the matter is, the war the Empire fought with the Dominion came rather unexpectedly for the Empire. At the end they could either sign the Concordat or die. The only ones really enforcing the ban on Talos worship law are the Thalmor, you won't see any Imperial soldier doing anything about it. The ban's just there for show, because both sides are licking their wounds and preparing for another go-round.

The Empire needs the Nords, but the Nords need the Empire. If they seccede, the Empire will fall when the next war breaks out. If the Empire falls, nothing will stop the Dominion from conquering them next.

Bethesda really crafted some great lore for this game. I loved what the two novels did, but everything that happened between the novels and the games is just awesome. Part of me misses the "stable" Empire from Morrowind and Oblivion, though.

I really like the Empire rendition this time around, much more similar to the look and feel of it in Morrowind. The Empire in Oblivion was too much high fantasy/medieval realm for my tastes, it lost the badass Roman influences and didn't feel like an occupying war-machine.
I'm kinda sad with what they did to the Blades but at least it's consistent to the lore

Visceir

Hurray, crafted myself some magic resist rings and necklaces, hopefully it'll help against magic casters, those bastards are like rocket launchers.

If you're using shields then there's this one rare awesome shield you could grab that helps heaps vs magic users. My remedy is sticking an arrow in their head before they get a shot off against me :D

Lakitu

st5fu
Lakitu, I've always considered you to be my bro in arms. So there's only one logical option for you: go Empire.

If not, Wulf will drink Black-Briar Mead from your skull.

Odin and Wulf shall dine in the halls of Sovngarde together (that's if he can cure his damn lycanthropy).

Odin has yet to be swayed by either. He and I has much thinking to do when he's not killing things. He keeps on putting off the wedding ceremony with Ysolda, damn barbarian.

Still, we will heed your advice and we are currently more swayed with the Empire because Ulfric is a jerk. Got so frustrated with a comment he made I just started attacking everyone in the palace halls. Used Sanguine Rose to summon Dremora and conjured Flame Atronarchs. Then I fus ro dah'd big groups of people fighting each other. It was a bloodbath.

I shall ponder this, it would be much easier to join Stormcloaks if they weren't such xenophobes. I hate xenophobes.

FHIZ

Am I the only one who after playing this game for 45+ hours, really, and I mean REALLY wants a bottle of mead?

That stuff is hardwired into my brain now. Mead, mead, mead. If I didn't know any better, I'd say some random Maryland mead brewers financed this game.

1. Get at least 250HP. I'm currently Lvl 23 and running with 330HP with some lousy enchants. 330 HP allows you to run into 3-4 mages and hack away without getting heart attack from looking at your decreasing HP.

2. Run up to the mage. Or whirlwind next to him. Or Fus Ro Dah him into the wall.

3. Shield bash.

4. ???

5. Profit!

I shall ponder this, it would be much easier to join Stormcloaks if they weren't such xenophobes. I hate xenophobes.

Aye, it sounds like you'll make the right decision. We shall drink mead from Stormcloak skulls together, my friend.

What platform are you playing on again, btw?

Jintor

Hahaha, oh my god. Was fighting bandits, had just cleared the camp and looted the corpses, when a single arrow arcs over my head and lands right in front of me, but without triggering combat status. I turn around and a bandit highwayman drops out of the sky and lands right in front of me, tumbling into the gates. I must have seen the tail end of a bandit-giant battle.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly, they really need to make the tutorial part of the game anti-Imperial because the rest of the game pretty much is pro-Imperial. Also, Ralof reminds me of those typical Che Guevarra hipsters.

Mead is nasty. But then again, I don't like beer either so YMMV

I doubt they serve anything else in the Nordic afterlife. Unless you like the taste of Dragon Blood.

Wulf varies between the two, so as to never get tired of either. Wulf will outlast eternity.

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone else noticed the.. oddities in Smithing perks and stuff you can make?
Orcish weapons are just above steel weapons. Dwarven weapons are above Orcish weapons. Elven weapons are above either one...

I would have made the perks a bit differently.
Start from steel/leather armor and weapons perk (normally Leather doesn't require perk which is odd since it is better than Hide), which opens 3 perks,: weapons, arcane blacksmith and armors. Weapons path unlocks weapon making and improving, armors path unlocks both types armors (ie Dwarven and elven ones for the first perk etc) and improving them, both ending in Dragon Smithing, which would give access to both Dragon Weapons (which are sadly non-existent in the game) and Dragon Armors, both light and heavy.
Alternatively 3 paths plus Arcane Blacksmith: Weapons, Light and Heavy, all ending with Dragon Smithing.
And naturally Iron Daggers would contribute only a bit of experience, the more (and the rarer) materials an item requires, more experience. And of course older and easier to make stuff would contribute less and less experience, essentially forcing the player to either to grind really ridiculous amounts of them or go explore, get some rare stuff and advance quickly.
EDIT the problem with my system is that you'd need a lot of perks to gain both weapons and armor... so, maybe the paths would be very short, 2-3 perks at most.

EDIT dammit, Avatar changes are real mindfucks. I was wondering who this "Blue Ninja" was until i realised you had changed your avatar!

If anyone ever encounters a bugged word wall like I did that happens to be outside
(Kilkreath Ruins by Meridia's shrine messed up for me and others)
and can't learn the word, here's a tip to fix it.

Save a game with you standing right by the word, fast travel somewhere else, then load the save. Bam, word learned.

Jintor

I can't fucking count the number of times I am sniping dudes around a corner and my fucking companion runs in front of me and is instantly killed for 3x sneak-attack damage.

golem

After the Empire sold out Hammerfell who in their right minds would trust their dealings? Whats left of the Empire anymore anyways? A bunch of territories have broke off and seceded and Morrowind is still a wasteland.

:)

039F89E21008C851C07A61EEE0ECE2870B6C181E
It drives me crazy that the house in solitude is:

A: so poorly designed (no chests in the basement for storing weapons/ingredients? Seriously?)

B: not taking advantage of the VERY OBVIOUS potential for a truly epic window/patio view.

If I had to choose, I'd join the Empire and it has nothing to do with respect.

I'm a High Elf. Screw that racist bastard Ulfric and the rest of the humans. And cats. And lizardpeople. Elves ftw.

For those playing pure mages, did you assign some level-up bonuses to Health? Because at level 30 I've now assigned all but one of mine to Magicka, and a lot of enemies can now one-shot me (or almost) with arrows and whatnot. I'm wondering if I went a little too heavy on Magicka, but then again I really wanted to go all out and have a crazy powerful mage. Even now, dual-casting a Thunderbolt takes away a too high percentage of my mana pool for my liking, but regardless I might have to bite the bullet and put the next five or so bonuses on Health. Meh.

Woorloog

Banned
I can't fucking count the number of times I am sniping dudes around a corner and my fucking companion runs in front of me and is instantly killed for 3x sneak-attack damage.

I don't understand how people can stand companions in Gamebryo games (inc. Skyrim despite being rebranded as Creation engine). The fuckers are idiotic, get lost and stuck constantly and do exactly this constantly.
Don't have a companion while sneaking or leave him/her far away until you need him/her if you must have a companion for a sneaky character.

Anteater

Visceir said:
If you're using shields then there's this one rare awesome shield you could grab that helps heaps vs magic users. My remedy is sticking an arrow in their head before they get a shot off against me

Castor Krieg said:
1. Get at least 250HP. I'm currently Lvl 23 and running with 330HP with some lousy enchants. 330 HP allows you to run into 3-4 mages and hack away without getting heart attack from looking at your decreasing HP.

2. Run up to the mage. Or whirlwind next to him. Or Fus Ro Dah him into the wall.

3. Shield bash.

4. ???

5. Profit!

I don't use a shield :( I kind of wish I did, I think I might go a full heavy armor dude next time. I overestimated my character's speed with light armor, she's kind of clunky and it's hard to get close to enemies quick without getting blast in the face :lol

EDIT dammit, Avatar changes are real mindfucks. I was wondering who this "Blue Ninja" was until i realised you had changed your avatar!

Well, at least you know my name now. :lol

I'll probably change it back soon. (Though I kinda like this one, too.)

That's not how it works.

The Empire is essentially the better way because they're only saving time and recuperating to make a counter against the Thalmor. The uprising however is pretty much just a selfish goal of a crybaby Jarl.
The truth. This guy speaks it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

That's not how it works.

The Empire is essentially the better way because they're only saving time and recuperating to make a counter against the Thalmor. The uprising however is pretty much just a selfish goal of a crybaby Jarl.

Reuenthal

Banned
I don't understand how people can stand companions in Gamebryo games (inc. Skyrim despite being rebranded as Creation engine). The fuckers are idiotic, get lost and stuck constantly and do exactly this constantly.
Don't have a companion while sneaking or leave him/her far away until you need him/her if you must have a companion for a sneaky character.

They can carry a lot of loot and can help a bit in battle sometimes .

Until - like what happened to me last night they die in the middle of the dungeon because they get stuck where a thousand poisoned arrows are aimed. Then you can't take back all the armor you gave them unless you want to walk all the way back to your house from the middle of nowhere.

The way I see it, the Empire will have to deal with the Nords on equal footing. Not through their subjugation. I'm playing Redguard and went with the Stormcloaks.

Woorloog

Banned

Personally i never loot so much i'd need help carrying it*. I rarely gather loot from more than one place at time. As for combat help, as i said the companions are total morons and have tendency to get in way, both things are more of hindarance than help, IMO. Unless i'm just unlucky and they're actually helpful to every single other The Elder Scrolls players.

*Also i loot only the most valuable things, value must be very high if the item weights more than a few units or must have very good weight/value ratio otherwise (scrolls, jewelery and such). Majority of weapons and armor i leave.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

My 1st guy was a sneaker and the companions totally ruined my attempts at sneakatude. They just ran into the fight and almost get them selves killed. When I restarted never used them (save the few missions you had to). Useless, at least didn't feel bad killing one off for a quest and turning a bunch into blades ;)

Personally i never loot so much i'd need help carrying it*. I rarely gather loot from more than one place at time. As for combat help, as i said the companions are total morons and have tendency to get in way, both things are more of hindarance than help, IMO. Unless i'm just unlucky and they're actually helpful to every single other The Elder Scrolls players.

*Also i loot only the most valuable things, value must be very high if the item weights more than a few units or must have very good weight/value ratio otherwise (scrolls, jewelery and such). Majority of weapons and armor i leave.

I'm the same, both with my sneaker and my mage (although she's early so that may change later), I ride solo, make regular trips to my safehouse, sell ruthlessly anything that's not useful and occasionally take a few gos to clear a dungeon if the loots particularly good.

Jintor

Pack mules.

Also my current companion knows some conjuration so I can have 3 additional characters drawing fire while I pick off enemies from the shadows.

The way I see it, the Empire will have to deal with the Nords on equal footing. Not through their subjugation. I'm playing Redguard and went with the Stormcloaks.

Given that the Empire basically abandoned Southern Hammerfell to the Aldermi Dominion and Hammerfell split from the Empire, a Redguard joining the Stormcloaks makes perfect sense.

Top Bottom