• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Woorloog

Banned
I don't think the Empire are subjugating anything.

It is called the Empire, not the Republic, Confederation, Federation or such... Just sayin'.

I still haven't been able to decide which side i like more. I have a feeling the Thalmor are not that big threat in the end (even if they seem to be currently), they will have civil war or something and everything's fine again.
Yeah yeah, not logical to make such assumption. But i'm an optimist.

Also, does every single NPC have some sort property where you can move in once you marry an NPC? Some NPCs certainly have houses, but does, for example, the Dunmer apprentice in the College of Winterhold have a house or such? Or is the room she uses in the apprentice quarters all she has?

(._.)

Banned
I'm having a problem. When I enage in conversation with NPCs the volume of their voice drops to the point where I can hardly hear what they are say. Anybody have this problem? Any fixes?

I have a 6990M AMD card

How are the StormCloacks xenophobes anyway? I'm through half of the CW quest and they only hate on the Thalmor in fact they haven't even mentioned other races, sure some guys say Ulfric wants only Nords in Skyrim and he ignores the Dunmer in Winterhold but the Altmer there seem happy enough, unless he becomes a racist maniac in a quick turn at the end I ain't seeing it at all, heck they don't even hate the idea of the Empire just the current Empire.

Nose Master

Wish I got more dragon fights D:. I have like, 4 words I need to cash in on. I've been trying not to fast travel as much to make it more likely, but no dice. I've had like, 3 random dragons in about 50 hours.

Wish I got more dragon fights D:. I have like, 4 words I need to cash in on. I've been trying not to fast travel as much to make it more likely, but no dice. I've had like, 3 random dragons in about 50 hours.

I'm in the same boat. I just came out of a dungeon and had a random dragon flying over head, but I couldn't get him to attack me at all, and it doesn't help that I can't hit crap with my bow when they're moving at that speed.

Wow, that's weird I can't go anywhere without finding one or having it attack the town I'm in, in fact one of them didn't even give a soul recently it's like they hound me or something. You should ask for work in taverns though they usually give you a Dragon's location.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It is called the Empire, not the Republic, Confederation, Federation or such... Just sayin'.

I still haven't been able to decide which side i like more. I have a feeling the Thalmor are not that big threat in the end (even if they seem to be currently), they will have civil war or something and everything's fine again.

But the Nords are part of the Empire - the founding one is even a Nord! They're not subjugating when in fact they are the members of it.

The Stormcloaks think the Empire are in cahoots with the Thalmor when in fact that's not true - especially the more you play the game. Really, the tutorial just wants to give you that anti-Imperial sentiment because the rest of the game isn't.

How are the StormCloacks xenophobes anyway? I'm through half of the CW quest and they only hate on the Thalmor in fact they haven't even mentioned other races, sure some guys say Ulfric wants only Nords in Skyrim and he ignores the Dunmer in Winterhold but the Altmer there seem happy enough, unless he becomes a racist maniac in a quick turn at the end I ain't seeing it at all, heck they don't even hate the idea of the Empire just the current Empire.

A bunch of SC supporters are pretty much that.

My character is of the imperial race but is fighting for the stormcloaks. doinitwrong?

To be honest Empire =/= only Imperials. Most of them are Nords.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I just killed a dragon, and it's corpse is just laying there, without the burning of the skin and flesh, and the dragon soul absorbed hoo-ha...

WTF? I'm 34-ish hours into the game and that's the first time that's happened to me, didn't even know it was possible. Or is that a bug?

Woorloog

Banned
I just killed a dragon, and it's corpse is just laying there, without the burning of the skin and flesh, and the dragon soul absorbed hoo-ha...

WTF? I'm 34-ish hours into the game and that's the first time that's happened to me, didn't even know it was possible. Or is that a bug?

Bug or you have enough Dragon Souls to have all shouts maximized.

Boss Doggie

Yeah it's a bug especially if on a slope. Apparently the game won't "burn" a dragon until it stops flailing.

Also, does every single NPC have some sort property where you can move in once you marry an NPC? Some NPCs certainly have houses, but does, for example, the Dunmer apprentice in the College of Winterhold have a house or such? Or is the room she uses in the apprentice quarters all she has?

I'll join the Empire as late as possible. Ulfric might be a bastard, but the Thalmor are real assholes. Met few of them on the road. We talked about some things and for some reason we started talking about religion. I told them that I could worship whoever I wanted and they disagreed. It was a pretty heated debate, but in the end, I had the better arguments (read: spells) and burned their skins off and turned them to ashes. Unfortunately, now I have to avoid every single one of them, because when they see me, they always try to convince me to stop talking such nonsense and this time they seem to have better arguments. What's their problem anyway?

But the Nords are part of the Empire - the founding one is even a Nord! They're not subjugating when in fact they are the members of it.

The Stormcloaks think the Empire are in cahoots with the Thalmor when in fact that's not true - especially the more you play the game. Really, the tutorial just wants to give you that anti-Imperial sentiment because the rest of the game isn't.
They feel subjugated because by prohibiting the Talos' worship the Aldmeri are dictating the way they live their lives, it's not even the act of worshiping Talos itself (which is infuriating enough as it is) but the implications that caused a revolution, doesn't help that Titus Mede II is seen by most as a Thalmor puppet and Nords are kidnapped randomly by Thalmor within Skyrim while the Empire watches urding their obscure revenge plan that no one knows about.

A bunch of SC supporters are pretty much that.

So? just because some stupid people support them doesn't mean their cause is wrong.

To be honest Empire =/= only Imperials. Most of them are Nords.

True.

Dresden

I have a feeling the Thalmor are not that big threat in the end (even if they seem to be currently), they will have civil war or something and everything's fine again.
Regarding the Thalmor: We've seen so far that they're a ruthless conglomerate of genocidal elf supremacists. They're elves. Such abominations are a far bigger threat than a bunch of short white people trying to control tall white people.

Shane86

Just came across a nasty bug that stops me from finishing the companions quests, if any of you are doing the mission where you collect the witch's head, SAVE before you go back to whiterun. I can't get the next quest to start at all.

Boss Doggie

They feel subjugated because by prohibiting the Talos' worship the Aldmeri are dictating the way they live their lives, it's not even the act of worshiping Talos itself (which is infuriating enough as it is) but the implications that caused a revolution, doesn't help that Titus Mede II is seen by most as a Thalmor puppet and Nords are kidnapped randomly by Thalmor within Skyrim while the Empire watches urding their obscure revenge plan that no one knows about.

So? just because some stupid people support them doesn't mean their cause is wrong.

True.

The Talos worship ban is only done as a word though - only the Thalmor themselves capture them but the Imperials never actually try to catch Talos worshipers. It's only a temporary sacrifice they must do in order to maintain stability and to recuperate. Also, even some NPCs say the Stormcloaks are also doing their own kidnappings.

Their cause is flawed because it relies so much on ideology without backbone - i.e. a bunch of reformists who wanted to cause violence because they believe they are just. They're not looking at the big picture and they are overlooking the flaws of their charismatic leader.

When I look at my Skills/Perks, my One-Handed has decreased, and is in red. How do I find what's causing this, and rectify it?
Go to magic and look at your Active Effects and you'll see if you have a disease. Then just find a Temple to pray at or take a Cure Disease potion.
At least I assume that'd be the cause.

Boss Doggie

Also, oh god...

Ri'saad, especially when he's sitting in his tent, looks like my neighbor's cat, what with the eyes almost closed.

Luthos

If you really want some, you could always fast travel back to the Dragon head icons on your map. You know, the word walls outside of dungeons. They respawn dragons after a while.

Their cause is flawed because it relies so much on ideology without backbone - i.e. a bunch of reformists who wanted to cause violence because they believe they are just. They're not looking at the big picture and they are overlooking the flaws of their charismatic leader.
This is certainly true in some regards (They don't "believe" they are just they are fighting a great injustice whether they are short sighted of not) but there's just so much crap the people are going to take take while the Empire sits back licking their wounds and buying the Jarls (Balgruf moans about the white-gold concordant but he was seemingly happy with the arcs of gold he received for being quiet) so it was just an inevitable consequence, if anything, the Empire is guilty of keeping their plans for themselves leaving the Nords in the dark while the situation gets increasingly out of hand.

I was pretty split about the StormCloak's/Empire decision too. Then I stumbled upon this neat interpretation on GameFAQ's and was blown away. (Hard to believe anyone there has a brain.)

SomeRandomGuy@GFAQS said:
It's a difficult choice to make, but basically what it comes down to is this:

If you would rather the Aldmeri Dominion and the Thalmoor rule Tamriel and enslave the non-elven population, side with the Stormcloaks.

If you would rather the Empire keep the peace and (hopefully) bide their time until they are strong enough to counter-attack and possibly defeat the Aldmeri, side with the Imperials.

Explanation- The Empire lost a rather long and bloody war with the newly formed Aldmeri Dominion, or the Thalmoor after not having a "proper" heir to the throne after the death of Martin Septim in the Oblivion Crisis. The high elves and the bosmer banded together and produced their current ruling party, the Thalmoor, which seeks to return Tamriel to Elven rule. Thus ensued the great war, which the Empire lost, but not totally, enabling them to keep sovereignity, if they banned the worship of Talos, whom the elves do not recognize as a god, probably due to him once being a human (had he been an elf, I doubt the Thalmoor would have cared so much). Now, the Thalmoor weren't stupid, and they knew that banning Talos worship, and having permission to enforce it themselves, would cause a great rift in the population of Skyrim, by far the most troublesome region of the Empire. Should Skyrim destroy itself with a civil war, the Thalmoor will much more easily be able to crush the empire entirely.

Ulfric Stormcloak is playing right into the hands of the Thalmoor. Instead of going underground with Talos worship, which in this case would have been the logical action to take, he instead chose to challenge the high king for sovereignity of Skyrim, so that he could himself oppose the Thalmoor, with Skyrim behind him. To do this however, would require breaking ties with the rest of the Empire, which would leave both the empire and Skyrim incapable of dealing with the power of the Aldmeri Dominion, and, separated, both would fall. Ulfric's intentions might be noble, but he is definitely going about things in a way that will acheive nothing but the destruction and enslavement of his beloved Nord peoples by the Thalmoor. Ulfric also happens to be a rampant racist, and would probably turn out to be just as much of a tyrant as the Thalmoor, should he somehow pull off the impossible and defeat both the empire and the Thalmoor. This makes Ulfric and the Stormcloaks simply not a viable choice if the player cares at all about the future of the non-elven races, and the Empire itself.

The Empire, while viewed as siding with the Thalmoor is actually taking the only viable choice in a tough situation. Should the Empire win, they may be able to bide their time and rebuild their power until they are able to challenge and end the threat of the Thalmoor. That cannot happen until the Stormcloaks are defeated however, and the longer the civil war goes on, the worse things will turn out for Skyrim and the empire as a whole. Regardless of whether or not you like the empire, they are unequivocally correct; and should you hate the Thalmoor, you should side with the Empire, as you are only furthering their goals when siding with the Stormcloaks.

As it is, regardless of who wins the civil war, it will already likely take generations to heal the emotional wounds dealt to the people of skyrim this conflict has brought; but shoud the Stormcloaks win the aftermath would be even worse, with the Thalmoor taking over and enslaving the Nords and all other non-elves who reside in the region, and who knows how many hundreds of years it may take to overthrow them?

RyanDG

The Talos worship ban is only done as a word though - only the Thalmor themselves capture them but the Imperials never actually try to catch Talos worshipers. It's only a temporary sacrifice they must do in order to maintain stability and to recuperate. Also, even some NPCs say the Stormcloaks are also doing their own kidnappings.

Only imperial leaning NPCs. They mention it as a way to discredit the atrocities being committed. Furthermore, it's not just the Thalmor that are capturing Nords and people of Skyrim for worshipping Talos... Several quests make it pretty implicit that the Imperials are assisting in, weeding out, and paying for information to 'out' Talos worshipers. Furthermore, the Empire is led currently by an inept ruler that has little to no regard to protecting the former Imperial interests against Thalmor manipulation. It's quite obvious that it's not a 'temporary sacrifice' (they may tell themselves that to justify their actions), but rather a full scale indoctrination that is going to radically shift the Empire's goals and mission from those that it was founded by from Tiber Septim.

Also...

FREEEEEDOOM!

I find it incredibly interesting that once you really start getting into the lore for Skyrim, they made it quite obvious that there isn't a 'good' or 'right' side to the conflict. Furthermore, most of the information you get is from unreliable narrators from second and third hand sources. Kudos to Bethesda for creating such an interesting environment, I only wish that some of the quests regarding the civil war had a bit more 'oomph' to them in terms of characterization of the NPCs and overall picture of things.

Boss Doggie

FYI the Stormcloaks are backed up by the Thalmor too.

This is certainly true in some regards (They don't "believe" they are just they are fighting a great injustice whether they are short sighted of not) but there's just so much crap the people are going to take take while the Empire sits back licking their wounds and buying the Jarls (Balgruf moans about the white-gold concordant but he was seemingly happy with the arcs of gold he received for being quiet) so it was just an inevitable consequence, if anything, the Empire is guilty of keeping their plans for themselves leaving the Nords in the dark while the situation gets increasingly out of hand.

Like I said, it's a sacrifice they must make until they can strike back. A lot of Stormcloaks forget that Skyrim isn't yet controlled by Thalmor because of the Empire. Should the Empire fall, Skyrim will, and no, the High Rock comparison won't work because Redguards aren't stupid "warrior race we hate magic!" people unlike the Nord.

RyanDG

I was pretty split about the StormCloak's/Empire decision too. Then I stumbled upon this neat interpretation on GameFAQ's and was blown away. (Hard to believe anyone there has a brain.)

Sounds like that person bought hook line and sinker to the traitor Nord justifications.

;)

I wish I could play through the game Unarmed. It seems good at the beginning, but once the enemies scale up, and your damage cap is a lousy 61, it becomes tedious/impossible.

Boss Doggie

But actually, you guys are giving way too much credit on the civil war. It barely has any impact in the main quest and even after changing a lot of things it felt like nothing happened in the game. :p

RyanDG

I wish I could play through the game Unarmed. It seems good at the beginning, but once the enemies scale up, and your damage cap is a lousy 61, it becomes tedious/impossible.

Can't you make some crazy enchanted gauntlets to bash people with though? And then adding the heavy weapons perk that gives you bonus damage to wielding heavy gauntlets in attacks, I would assume it would be pretty easy to get your damage well above 61.

Or am I wrong on that and there's a cap on all unarmed damage regardless of that?

But actually, you guys are giving way too much credit on the civil war. It barely has any impact in the main quest and even after changing a lot of things it felt like nothing happened in the game. :p

Indeed. A great opportunity with some good choices to be made in the game that ultimately results in a serious lack of an overall payoff. Maybe in DLC?

Boss Doggie

Yeah, honestly I felt much more respected in Oblivion with the changes you do in that game, but then again that's because of Fame and such, and titles actually mattering.

Unarmed really needs to be its own perk tree. Can't wait for a mod.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
The Stormcloaks are not backed by the Thalmor. The Thalmor are backing the Civil War, but they do not want a decisive victory on either side.

And if the Stormcloaks win, that far from guarantees a Thalmor victory in the end. Hammerfell fought off the Thalmor. The Argonians in the Black Marsh are not allied with the Thalmor or Imperials.

Independence is perfectly viable.

FYI the Stormcloaks are backed up by the Thalmor too.

Like I said, it's a sacrifice they must make until they can strike back. A lot of Stormcloaks forget that Skyrim isn't yet controlled by Thalmor because of the Empire. Should the Empire fall, Skyrim will, and no, the High Rock comparison won't work because Redguards aren't stupid "warrior race we hate magic!" people unlike the Nord.
True, but averting their eyes and trying to cut short a revolution with violence seems pretty "unprofessional" coming from the Empire, if anything they put themselves in the situation.
Anyway, I wonder if the Empire is the human rallying party just because of tradition or what, maybe the human provinces should just form a coalition against the Thalmor and then build a new Empire, it's not like the Mede have any real claim to the throne..

Can't you make some crazy enchanted gauntlets to bash people with though? And then adding the heavy weapons perk that gives you bonus damage to wielding heavy gauntlets in attacks, I would assume it would be pretty easy to get your damage well above 61.

Or am I wrong on that and there's a cap on all unarmed damage regardless of that?

Nope that perk adds Base armor value, which even for Daedric gauntlets is only 18. So the max is 14 unarmed x 2 enchantments =28 + 18 Daedric gauntlets = 46 damage MAX

If you play Khajit your Claws racial gives you an unarmed Bonus of 15, bringing the max damage possible to 61.

ShinNL

61 is a pretty nice base damage to work with if you add the Heavy Armor perk + get the Unarmed bonus enchant.

Nope that perk adds Base armor value, which even for Daedric gauntlets is only 18. So the max is 14 unarmed x 2 enchantments =28 + 18 Daedric gauntlets = 46 damage MAX

If you play Khajit your Claws racial gives you an unarmed Bonus of 15, bringing the max damage possible to 61.
Are you sure your math is correct about this? Doesn't the armor rating of Daedra armor get really high with smithing (100 smithing, smithing gear + smithing potion)?

Boss Doggie

The Stormcloaks are not backed by the Thalmor. The Thalmor are backing the Civil War, but they do not want a decisive victory on either side.

And if the Stormcloaks win, that far from guarantees a Thalmor victory in the end. Hammerfell fought off the Thalmor. The Argonians in the Black Marsh are not allied with the Thalmor or Imperials.

But the problem is that Redguards and Argonians are BOTH warriors and mages, and are quite open-minded. So far, the game implies that provincial Nords are pretty warrior-race guys who hate magic.

Game needs more NPC's, much more, if you think about it, not many people in this world, I hate when I think like this while gaming.

This is one thing I honestly think Oblivion has over Skyrim - being set in Cyrodiil (and away from a civil war too) makes it varied in races and NPCs.

RyanDG

Btw, I really think that Ulfric is a lot more multi-dimensional than a lot of people give him credit for... Especially when you get involved with his war and deal with listening into his conversations. And it gets even more interesting when you start completing the main quest and start learning a bit of his backstory even more.

He may appear to be your run of the mill boy king-killing, racist... But trust me, there's a lot more to him than that. ;)

But the problem is that Redguards and Argonians are BOTH warriors and mages, and are quite open-minded. So far, the game implies that provincial Nords are pretty warrior-race guys who hate magic.

Magic is useless when you can run up to things and it hit with the sharp side of your axe.

<-- Proud sword and board Nord with no magic ability whatsoever.

61 is a pretty nice base damage to work with if you add the Heavy Armor perk + get the Unarmed bonus enchant.

Are you sure your math is correct about this? Doesn't the armor rating of Daedra armor get really high with smithing (100 smithing, smithing gear + smithing potion)?

It does get really high, however the Fists of Steel perk only adds BASE armor rating. The base armor rating of daedric is 18, always. The number you see in the menu is base+skills ,perks etc. which dont effect the Fist of Steel perk.

Boss Doggie

Btw, I really think that Ulfric is a lot more mulch-dimensional than a lot of people give him credit for... Especially when you get involved with his war and deal with listening into his conversations. And it gets even more interesting when you start completing the main quest and start learning a bit of his backstory even more.

He may appear to be your run of the mill boy king-killing, racist... But trust me, there's a lot more to him than that. ;)

Magic is useless when you can run up things and it hit with the sharp side of your axe.

<-- Proud sword and board Nord with no magic ability whatsoever.

You mean like Olaf the One-Eye, who is actually also scum? :p

(which btw is disappointing - they should've acknowledged that you killed his undead body in the main quest if you did the Bard's College quest)

Yeah, Nords are suicidal kamikaze berserkers so they'll be wiped off the map easily. :p

Luthos

Mage guild spoilers:

Just defeated Morokei. Fun fight. And holy carp his staff is awesome. And his mask. But why is his mask light armor? It's so obviously a mage mask...

Dresden

Except that the Nords will never be as badass as Argonians, and they aren't the most talented warriors in the realm ala the Redguards, either. Black Marsh and Hammerfell are inhospitable lands where invading forces would find it difficult to maintain itself as they marched, unlike Skyrim.

Dresden

The perks that raise armor rating help damage, too, iirc.

But you're forgetting enchants that boost unarmed damage, which you can slap on everything you can.

RyanDG

Except that the Nords will never be as badass as Argonians, and they aren't the most talented warriors in the realm ala the Redguards, either. Black Marsh and Hammerfell are inhospitable lands where invading forces would find it difficult to maintain itself as they marched, unlike Skyrim.

I'm pretty sure the extreme cold and giants that can catapult your forces into space are enough to discourage full scale invasions.

Boss Doggie

Mage guild spoilers:

Just defeated Morokei. Fun fight. And holy carp his staff is awesome. And his mask. But why is his mask light armor? It's so obviously a mage mask...

There's actually more of them, gotta collect them all!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
DRUNKEN THANKSGIVING SKYRIM TIME FUCK YEAH

This is so wrong, with enchants and the heavy armor perk you can be devastating, there's a really funny writeup of it that was linked a few pages ago.

Wallach

Hammerfell didn't really fight off the Thalmor in force, though; they were already fighting what was a small portion of the Thalmor (the result of the Thalmor force being so heavily defeated before the signing of the White-Gold Concordat) that basically gave up on Hammerfell when they knew they needed to replenish their standing forces after what happened in Cyrodiil.

Independence is not going to be viable in the long run at all until the Thalmor are destroyed, all the way back through Valenwood to Summerset Isle. That will never happen if the provinces are not allied against them, because the Thalmor are never going to stop warring against men. That doesn't mean it has to be the Imperials uniting the provinces of men against them, but it's clear that the result of a Stormcloak victory in Skyrim would lead to nothing but isolationism.

Isolationism is the exact opposite of what Talos worked towards when he walked as a man. These Stormcloaks fight for the right to worship something they've already forgotten.

Top Bottom