• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Hammerfell didn't really fight off the Thalmor in force, though; they were already fighting what was a small portion of the Thalmor (the result of the Thalmor force being so heavily defeated before the signing of the White-Gold Concordat) that basically gave up on Hammerfell when they knew they needed to replenish their standing forces after what happened in Cyrodiil.

Independence is not going to be viable in the long run at all until the Thalmor are destroyed, all the way back through Valenwood to Summerset Isle. That will never happen if the provinces are not allied against them, because the Thalmor are never going to stop warring against men. That doesn't mean it has to be the Imperials uniting the provinces of men against them, but it's clear that the result of a Stormcloak victory in Skyrim would lead to nothing but isolationism.

Isolationism is the exact opposite of what Talos worked towards when he walked as a man. These Stormcloaks fight for the right to worship something they've already forgotten.

Actually, the StormCloack's objective seems to be freeing Skyrim and then go to war against the Thalmor suicidal as it might be, but who knows, they might end up inspiring other provinces to fight for their freedom even if they are decimated.

RyanDG

Isolationism is the exact opposite of what Talos worked towards when he walked as a man. These Stormcloaks fight for the right to worship something they've already forgotten.

Or they view the taking back of Skyrim and its culture as the catalyst to spurn further action against the Thalmor and the ultimate turning point in a war that has humans on the losing end (or in a stalemate). Every major uprising or conflict needs a match. The Stormcloaks view Skyrim as that match that will lead to a wildfire of support against the Thalmor in terms of the human races who worship Talos and remember what man can be.

Okay guys, what the fuck is up with ebony helms? It looks hideous in conjunction with the Ebony Mail.

I just use Clavicus Vile's headgear until I can get some Glass/Daedric, the worst part is that it doesn't even look bad in the front but it's bad behind where you're going to be looking most of the time.

ShinNL

It does get really high, however the Fists of Steel perk only adds BASE armor rating. The base armor rating of daedric is 18, always. The number you see in the menu is base+skills ,perks etc. which dont effect the Fist of Steel perk.
Mmm, I just checked and I didn't know the enchantments were static values. But anyway, I couldn't really see it in my test, but do you get 18 base damage even if you upgrade the gloves to legendary status? If so, that's pretty bad.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new game, and wondering if it should be Skyrim. There's only one problem... I hated Oblivion. let me tell you why I hated Oblivion, and you can tell me if I would hate Skyrim too:

- I hate first person melee combat, in basically every game that has had it, and Oblivion was par for the course. (Dark + Demon's Souls are more my style personally.. I know I'm not going to get that level of awesome in Skyrim.. but is it any better than Oblivion?)

- Trying to avoid the melee combat, I made a pure mage, but my attacking spells ended up being just 3 different colors of the same boring spell; a projectile that goes straight forward like an arrow.

- Dungeons with nothing to do in them except engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time, until the whole thing is cleared out. Then you go back to the surface and engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time.

- If I stole something or killed someone in some remote corner of the world, suddenly everyone knows about it.. huge immersion breaker. There were also other weird immersion breaking things like this, but I forget now what they were.

- The last boss was immune to all magic. Like wtf was that? My pure mage literally had no way to damage him, except through summons. Oh, except his hit point regeneration outraced my summon damage. In the end I could only kill him by dropping the difficulty level down, even after reading online to see if there was anything I could do. wtf.

What I liked about Oblivion:

- Huge open and beautiful world, making the game feel very immersive.

- Do whatever you want in your own way kind of feel.

- general western RPG style setting.

- create a character however you want.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I dread going into any Dwemer ruins now, not because of having any difficulty with the enemies within, but because the damn dwarves kept leaving such heavy pieces of metal laying around for me to be compelled to collect without fail. I wish you could train your followers' skills so Lydia could have the Heavy Armor perk that makes it weigh nothing.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Not for you, especially the western RPG thing which really has no bearing on how great this game is. Don't know what that would have to do with anything.Skyrim, while amazing, just doesn't seem for you Joker.

Ominym

Banned
Sorry to ask if it has been already but...

Spoilers pertaining to the end of the Thieves Guild quest line:

So, I used heavy armor throughout the game. Had no use for the Thieves Guild armor since it was light, and if i needed to sneak I just used the Dark Brotherhood armor. So, I sold it. And now, to complete the quest line I'm being asked to turn in my old armor (which I no longer have, nor do I have any option to get it back.)

Am I just boned here? You can't steal, pickpocket or kill to get the armor from another member. Further worth noting is that I'm playing on the Xbox, so console commands are out. (Funny given that they're "console" commands.)

If anyone has any ideas on where I can pick up a different set, I'd be grateful.

DarthWoo

Speaking of metals and weights, does the whole system of ores and ingots seem a bit off to anyone else? I know I would hate it if they actually were the proper weight, but it just seems like they ought to be heavier. Somehow I can turn maybe 10 pounds of materials into a 30-40 pound set of armor?

The perks that raise armor rating help damage, too, iirc.

But you're forgetting enchants that boost unarmed damage, which you can slap on everything you can.

I am including the 2 possible things you can enchant with Fortify Unarmed, gauntlets and necklaces. The highest damge possible is 61 with those 2 enchantments and the strongest guantlets.

Edit: and perks that raise armor rating don't help. It's BASE armor rating. 18. No exceptions.

MrBig

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new game, and wondering if it should be Skyrim. There's only one problem... I hated Oblivion. let me tell you why I hated Oblivion, and you call tell me if I would hate Skyrim too:

- I hate first person melee combat, in basically every game that has had it, and Oblivion was par for the course. (Dark + Demon's Souls are more my style personally.. I know I'm not going to get that level of awesome in Skyrim.. but is it any better than Oblivion?)
Better than oblivion, but that's still not saying much. Good enough to gloss over.
- Trying to avoid the melee combat, I made a pure mage, but my attacking spells ended up being just 3 different colors of the same boring spell; a projectile that goes straight forward like an arrow.
Magic itself has been much improved, and the effects can't even be compared they are so much better
- Dungeons with nothing to do in them except engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time, until the whole thing is cleared out. Then you go back to the surface and engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time.
There are both large and small dungeons. About a third of the dungeons are large, with a related quest in a beautiful setting with a varied enemy structure. The next third are large-medium dungeons with no "quests" or dialogue, but tell a story through set pieces or journals/literature/puzzles (these are by far my favorite and the most enthralling part of the game). The other third are small bandit caves that can be easily cleared - are boring.
Enemy interaction is much improved. They will gang up on you, use more magic, and the game will generally just throw more at you as the engine improvements allow for more, better AI

- If I stole something or killed someone in some remote corner of the world, suddenly everyone knows about it.. huge immersion breaker. There were also other weird immersion breaking things like this, but I forget now what they were.
Bounties are first separated by the Holds that the act was committed in, and then a bounty is only given if you were observed by an NPC.
- The last boss was immune to all magic. Like wtf was that? My pure mage literally had no way to damage him, except through summons. Oh, except his hit point regeneration outraced my summon damage. In the end I could only kill him by dropping the difficulty level down, even after reading online to see if there was anything I could do. wtf.
The scaling system is better but it is still present. I personally never had to drop the difficulty. In fact I eventual raised it after becoming too powerful. I have discovered no immunities.
What I liked about Oblivion:

- Huge open and beautiful world, making the game feel very immersive.
Oblivion was nothing compared to Skyrim in terms of immersion.
- Do whatever you want in your own way kind of feel.
More freedom than ever. No character restrictions, free to collect things before starting quests, and can explore for hours without a single quest being initiated.
- general western RPG style setting.
The setting is darker and much more defined, more akin to Morrowind.
- create a character however you want.
Beards.

Bold

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Destruction magic sucks. Thank goodness for the mods.

Or they view the taking back of Skyrim and its culture as the catalyst to spurn further action against the Thalmor and the ultimate turning point in a war that has humans on the losing end (or in a stalemate). Every major uprising or conflict needs a match. The Stormcloaks view Skyrim as that match that will lead to a wildfire of support against the Thalmor in terms of the human races who worship Talos and remember what man can be.

It's noted though that the old Nord culture is really dark, almost barbaric.

Though honestly, despite what you do, there are always the two worst cities in the game - Markath and Riften. It's kinda sad you can't turn those into better cities (either by getting rid of the Silver-Blood and Black-Briar or exiling them or whatever).

DarthWoo

Something amusing a friend posted on another forum.

yZulN.jpg

thefil

Anyone else having issues with mage survivability? I am level 33 or 34, and it's gotten to the point where if I go up against another mage I'm toast. They use the exploding fireball spell, which does 90% of my health from max. Similarly, some of the bandits I come across can kill me with a single arrow.

I haven't invested in Restoration or used wards all game. Similarly I haven't been using the Alteration defense buffs. The game feels like it just underwent a major difficulty spike for me.

How can I become more survivable, especially against mages?

<-- Proud sword and board Nord with no magic ability whatsoever.

Same!

I've had to use restoration a few times, but my skill level in it is something like 17. Increased via reading the odd book.

I've really enjoyed the civil war storyline, but there needs to be more... randomness to it. One thing I really enjoyed in New Vegas was stumbling across unscripted Legion/NCR/Raider battles, or the results of those battles. I'd like more of that in Skyrim.

Boss Doggie

Anyone else having issues with mage survivability? I am level 33 or 34, and it's gotten to the point where if I go up against another mage I'm toast. They use the exploding fireball spell, which does 90% of my health from max. Similarly, some of the bandits I come across can kill me with a single arrow.

I haven't invested in Restoration or used wards all game. Similarly I haven't been using the Alteration defense buffs. The game feels like it just underwent a major difficulty spike for me.

That's why Destruction magic sucks big time in this game. It doesn't scale to your level, but your enemies and NPCs scale on theirs. Pure Destruction is sadly a poor choice.

Dresden

Get the Atronach sign or outfit your character to boost magic resistance.

thefil

That's why Destruction magic sucks big time in this game. It doesn't scale to your level, but your enemies and NPCs scale on theirs. Pure Destruction is sadly a poor choice.

That sucks. I've been more or less pure destruction plus conjuration, but my conjuration stat has not been able to keep up with my level (never upgrades anymore).

I thought this game was supposed to fix dead end characters?

Boss Doggie

That sucks. I've been more or less pure destruction plus conjuration, but my conjuration stat has not been able to keep up with my level (never upgrades anymore).

I thought this game was supposed to fix dead end characters?

Sadly you need to complement destruction with Alteration or Conjuration. Downloading Improved Destruction also helps.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
There is a wandering orc asking for death, so I killed him. Is that bad?

Xevren

Being a pure mage and not using the alteration buffs sounds like suicide to me. The Mage Armor perks and whatever the other one is called that increases your magic resistance helps your survivability out big time as a mage,

thefil

Being a pure mage and not using the alteration buffs sounds like suicide to me. The Mage Armor perks and whatever the other one is called that increases your magic resistance helps your survivability out big time as a mage,

I get that, but it's hard to switch at this point.

Might just do what I did in Oblivion. Ditch my first character, start over and hope that the new build is more viable.

Mmm, I just checked and I didn't know the enchantments were static values. But anyway, I couldn't really see it in my test, but do you get 18 base damage even if you upgrade the gloves to legendary status? If so, that's pretty bad.

Yeah, upgrading your gloves does not add that damage either. It sucks, all they need to do is change it so it uses your armor rating after skills and perks and it would be viable. As is though, eventually 61 damage is not enough.

Wallach

I get that, but it's hard to switch at this point.

Might just do what I did in Oblivion. Ditch my first character, start over and hope that the new build is more viable.

I'm not really sure what you expect. If you have no defense against something, it's going to kick your ass if you let it hit you. What kind of solution are you looking for?

Spirit3

I'm not sure what I'm doing differently to everyone else but I'm completely owning it as a Destruction only Mage. I lay waste to most enemies with two fireballs. Even the bosses barely put up a fight. Difficultly is set to default, whatever that was.

thefil

I'm not really sure what you expect. If you have no defense against something, it's going to kick your ass if you let it hit you. What kind of solution are you looking for?

I guess I'm looking for some way to come back from this sudden difficulty spike short of starting a new character? I'm wondering how to get some magic resistance. The Atronach stone was a helpful suggestion, though.

thefil

Do summoned atronachs scale to your level, or is a frost atronach always better than a fire atronach since it's a higher level spell?

Zeliard

Pure Destruction is an inherently dumb choice. You're limiting yourself for no reason.

Yeah.

For those playing pure mages, did you assign some level-up bonuses to Health? Because at level 30 I've now assigned all but one of mine to Magicka, and a lot of enemies can now one-shot me (or almost) with arrows and whatnot. I'm wondering if I went a little too heavy on Magicka, but then again I really wanted to go all out and have a crazy powerful mage. Even now, dual-casting a Thunderbolt takes away a too high percentage of my mana pool for my liking, but regardless I might have to bite the bullet and put the next five or so bonuses on Health. Meh.

thefil

Yeah, I put about 5 or 7 in health. The only different is I'm experiencing the one-shots at level 35 instead of 30.

I tried to go destruction/conjuration/enchanting, but it seems like my conjurations are too stupid to do much good, my conjured weapons now suck, I can't enchant anything better than I have, and my destruction spells eat mana/don't do enough damage. :(

Wallach

I guess I'm looking for some way to come back from this sudden difficulty spike short of starting a new character? I'm wondering how to get some magic resistance. The Atronach stone was a helpful suggestion, though.

I guess I don't understand why you think getting magic resistance has anything to do with the current viability of your character. But, there are definitely a lot of ways to protect yourself against magic:

Restoration - Wards are pretty standard for mages whether you have perks in Restoration or not.

Alteration - Requires 5 perks into Alteration, for 30% passive resistance.

Alchemy - You can create either specific element resistance potions or general magic resistance potions, though the latter tends to be weaker and harder to create than the former.

Enchantment - Similar to Alchemy, but via permanent item enchantments.

Guardian Stone - The Lord conveys 50 armor and 25% passive magic resistance.

These are all separate from magic absorption, which works like magic resistance but instead turns the resisted effect into gained magicka. However, Conjuration summoning magic is bugged in that they are considered hostile for the purposes of checking against magic absorption. For that reason I don't recommend the Atronach perk in Alteration or the Atronach Guardian Stone for anyone heavily using summoned pets from Conjuration.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The funny thing about Magicka is that it's sort of relegated to being unimportant if you enchant enough of your gear with a certain school of magic. My Destruction spells cost me a whopping 0 Magicka when I have 4? or 5 pieces of gear with 25% off magicka cost for Destruction. I'm not even a Mage either, I'm primarily a Rogue like character but I enjoy the instantaneous damage from Lightning.

Dresden

Honestly as long as your Conjuration skills are up to date anything is doable on any difficulty. Instead of starting over I'd just recommend you level that up to fifty or something. You can spam soul trap on a dead monster to boost it high, for example, if you were inclined to do that.

Boss Doggie

Pure Destruction is an inherently dumb choice. You're limiting yourself for no reason.

Not really - normally speaking if you're pure Destro you should be able to cast spells that decimate enemies easily :p

But sadly Destruction skill is crap unless fixed with mods.

Top Bottom