• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Wallach

Not really - normally speaking if you're pure Destro you should be able to cast spells that decimate enemies easily :p

But sadly Destruction skill is crap unless fixed with mods.

Really? So if I was a Warrior and I invested only into, say, One-Handed and did not invest into any other perk trees, would I totally own everyone's shit?

Destruction is more than fine.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new game, and wondering if it should be Skyrim. There's only one problem... I hated Oblivion. let me tell you why I hated Oblivion, and you can tell me if I would hate Skyrim too:

- I hate first person melee combat, in basically every game that has had it, and Oblivion was par for the course. (Dark + Demon's Souls are more my style personally.. I know I'm not going to get that level of awesome in Skyrim.. but is it any better than Oblivion?)

Same for me, I play in third person and it's fine.

- Trying to avoid the melee combat, I made a pure mage, but my attacking spells ended up being just 3 different colors of the same boring spell; a projectile that goes straight forward like an arrow.

The difference in elements are quite large. You get more range with electric plus it saps magic, cold slows people and saps stamina, fire burns and does extra damage. As you unlock higher level stuff the differences get even larger. BUT, magic in general seems much weaker than a good sword.

- Dungeons with nothing to do in them except engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time, until the whole thing is cleared out. Then you go back to the surface and engage in aforementioned boring combat with one enemy at a time.

I'd say in large part that's still true. However it's usually two or three dudes now. The boss fights at a certain point started involving multiple people. Those are very tough because they are usually guarding a mage and that mage can and will one shot me.

- If I stole something or killed someone in some remote corner of the world, suddenly everyone knows about it.. huge immersion breaker. There were also other weird immersion breaking things like this, but I forget now what they were.

Still kind of works that way if there are witnesses.

- The last boss was immune to all magic. Like wtf was that? My pure mage literally had no way to damage him, except through summons. Oh, except his hit point regeneration outraced my summon damage. In the end I could only kill him by dropping the difficulty level down, even after reading online to see if there was anything I could do. wtf.

haven't gotten to that point and not sure I ever will.

What I liked about Oblivion:

- Huge open and beautiful world, making the game feel very immersive.

- Do whatever you want in your own way kind of feel.

- general western RPG style setting.

- create a character however you want.

I'll take a crack at this too. My part in bold. Also, I hated oblivion as well.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Really? So if I was a Warrior and I invested only into, say, One-Handed and did not invest into any other perk trees, would I totally own everyone's shit?
yes, especially once you stack on enchanted armor and jewelery that throw on an extra 30% or more damage with one-handed weapons.

Zeliard

A challenge? We could all be playing on the game on easy difficulty, too.

If you're going "Pure Destruction" for the challenge, then there's no particular reason to cry about difficulty once you start hitting that wall. I'm playing on Master as primarily Destruction/Conjuration and it's been fine, because I actually don't ignore the other spell trees and the perks that come with them.

You've got a perk with Destruction where you can literally keep an enemy immobile until death and some of you still want to be one-shotting things on top of that. And you claim to also want a challenge, somehow. Comedy.

Dresden

yes, especially once you stack on enchanted armor and jewelery that throw on an extra 30% or more damage with one-handed weapons.

Uh, that means you'll be investing in Enchanted and Smithing as well. Unless you luck out and get a stack of welding armor and jewelry, but that's extremely unreliable. The best weapons all require smithing, anyways.

Destruction becomes pretty broken with Enchanting - who woulda thought.

Wallach

Oh, you mean a bunch of other shit necessary to developing a successful tactic.

Kind of like how Destruction needing other skills is totally normal and not "imbalanced" at all.

Agreed. One handed is a monster when coupled with block and or some blacksmithing/enchanting.

And Destruction can be a monster when coupled with some other schools of magic, or even some melee stuff.

Concept17

I'll take a crack at this too. My part in bold. Also, I hated oblivion as well.

Buy the game. Oblivion is a giant pile of garbage. There may have been some nice storylines there for the bigger ES fans, but for those of us looking for a RPG, Oblivion was just shit.

Skyrim is fucking amazing. Buy it.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
After a while comboing up a few spells with a certain type of armor and enchantments and the right shout..i dont think theres anything in the game that can seriously hold a candle to my character right now.

I have a Breton mage at 33 with maxed destruction, conjuration at about 60 and restoration at about 55 (alteration/illusion are in their 20s, and not worth talking about). Leveling has been 30 level ups of magicka and 2 on health, none on stamina.

Between Breton base magic resistance of 25% and the atronach stone 50% spell absorption, I don't really worry too much about magic. That 25% resist could easily be replicated on gear if you are not a Breton. I never use wards, and usually just rely on overwhelming amounts of dirt cheap low cost destruction spells to kill things.

I also wear no armour and run around in robes, gloves and boots that have been enchanted, with a circlet, necklace and ring. In other words, I have 0 armor whatsoever. If I get hit by anything heavy, I die. Draugr Deathlords, a single arrow from a leveled enemy (or 2 or 3 from base enemies), a bear swipe/2 or 3 wolf bites, one bite from a dragon that landed in my face, etc. Yes, I could cast some mage armor spells, but I instead rely on killing things before they get the chance to kill me. Playing on normal difficulty, but whatever. I find it challenging enough considering I could easily play in a fashion that would make me tougher to kill (ie use some armor, cast some alteration spells, etc), but that's the trade off for going hardcore magicka loaded wizard with full on wizard robes.

There is nothing wrong with going pure destro. It is entirely playable and your character is anything but busted beyond reparation. If you have trouble with magic, enchant some magic resist and grab the atronach stone. Utilize wards if necessary to absorb some magic attacks. But saying the game is broken because now the enemy can cast powerful magic spells and you do nothing to combat that with so little health...well, yeah, you're probably gonna die. Lots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Buy the game. Oblivion is a giant pile of garbage. There may have been some nice storylines there for the bigger ES fans, but for those of us looking for a RPG, Oblivion was just shit.

Skyrim is fucking amazing. Buy it.
hyperbole aside, seriously buy it.

Styles

So I've just bought the higher level destruction spells and realised what I was missing on. I've been using the novice and apprentice level spells for most of the game so the adept and expert spells are a huge step up. They're so powerful. My favourite spell so far would have to be Fireball, it feels so satisfying blowing people up, and dragons.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
IMO a lot of people overrate this game. Yeah it's good, but there's still some aspects that should be fixed, some aspects that were better than Oblivion, and some aspects that somehow vanished which were fine in the previous game.

I'd rather fight for Ulfric than be the Thalmor's bitch. :mad:

>implying Empire is Thalmor's bitch
>implying Ulfric isn't :p

Actually yeah. Melee are pretty broken especially when their damage scales with the skill. For some odd reason however Destruction doesn't. That's what the Improved Destruction Magic mod is for.

If you're going "Pure Destruction" for the challenge, then there's no particular reason to cry about difficulty once you start hitting that wall. I'm playing on Master as primarily Destruction/Conjuration and it's been fine, because I actually don't ignore the other spell trees and the perks that come with them.

You've got a perk with Destruction where you can literally keep an enemy immobile until death and some of you still want to be one-shotting things on top of that. And you claim to also want a challenge, somehow. Comedy.

Remind me when I complained about anything...what did Destruction Mages ever do to you, lol

This sort of Mage stereotyping will not be taken (snicker). Rise up!

zethren

Banned
>implying Empire is Thalmor's bitch
>implying Ulfric isn't :p

Hey man, if there was a third party to choose from I definitely wouldn't be on ulfric's side. Basically, I hate the Thalmor so I chose the side in which I imagined I would get the most opportunities to destroy them with.

Actually, I'm hoping there's an option to kill Ulfric at some point and take the reigns as high king myself. Then I'll plunge skyrim and all of the empire into bloody war with the Thalmor.

paskowitz

I hate RPGs and generally can't stand to play them past the first 2 hours. If final fantasy is playing in the same room, I leave. I hated Fallout and Oblivion.

That being said, I am hooked on this game. Highest praise I can give. I still hate RPGs but this one can stay.

Luthos

Destruction is fun, regardless of if it's not as strong as other stuff.

I use a bit from every other tree to support it, but it's my main tree. Conjuration is nice to summon tanks to distract the enemy while I shoot them with pew pew magics.

I'm not a min/max guy, especially in a single player game like this. Like I heard the master spells really aren't that great compared to expert spells or whatever. I don't really care, because based on the scrolls, they look sweet, and did good enough.

is there a vendor who sells lock picks in bulk? I've managed to get by on just finding them, but ever since I joined the thieves guild I've been needing a lot more

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Dual wielding enchanted/smithed swords with the elemental Fury shout = dead everything.

It's weird tho, sometimes my swords seem to swing faster than others when casting the 3-word shout.

Hell, I've used Vald's lucky dagger, and that thing swung faster than I could press the button, while my daedric dagger was much slower. Are there different attack speeds between different 'levels' of weapons?

is there a vendor who sells lock picks in bulk? I've managed to get by on just finding them, but ever since I joined the thieves guild I've been needing a lot more

Tonilla and any other fence will have them, as do general store/pawnshop owners, I believe.

NBtoaster

Hey man, if there was a third party to choose from I definitely wouldn't be on ulfric's side. Basically, I hate the Thalmor so I chose the side in which I imagined I would get the most opportunities to destroy them with.

Actually, I'm hoping there's an option to kill Ulfric at some point and take the reigns as high king myself. Then I'll plunge skyrim and all of the empire into bloody war with the Thalmor.

I'd go with the blades
if they were rebuilt. Though they kind of act like dicks too re: Paarthurnax

Why can't everyone just get along :(

Either side winning hurts the Thalmor who want a divided Skyrim. Not that it will matter it the end, like with every other game, Bethesda will find an outcome that fits all possible decisions you make in the game.

Philia

Repeating this for the third time!

So for a lv 40 stealth archer with sneak/archery skills maxed out with a few in pickpocketing, what do you recommend for me to put my perks into to buff my bow some more? I think I only got like 14 perks (the 10 after included) points left.

Luthos

So for a lv 40 stealth archer with sneak/archery skills maxed out with a few in pickpocketing, what do you recommend for me to put my perks into to buff my bow some more? I think I only got like 14 perks (the 10 after included) points left.

Alchemy?

I plan to use it a bunch on my (planned) assassin character.

Dresden

Everything in archery maxed out

Sneak up to the x3 sneak attack multiplier

100 smithing + Daedric

First off, you have more than 10 perks remaining. The "50 level cap" thing is nonsense.

Second, enchanting for adding buffs to your bow, and smithing for upgrading the condition of the bow and making it do more damage (need to get to at least arcane smithing to upgrade enchanted items, plus going into the trees may be necessary to upgrade to legendary status, though I'm not sure if you need to do so or if simply having smithing skill is sufficient, as my skill still isnt maxed out and I can only upgrade to exquisite so far. Test before investing perks). Alchemy for creating badass poisons to make the bow one shot things even more often.

Other than that, go crazy!

Philia

First off, you have more than 10 perks remaining. The "50 level cap" thing is nonsense.

Second, enchanting for adding buffs to your bow, and smithing for upgrading the condition of the bow and making it do more damage (need to get to at least arcane smithing to upgrade enchanted items, plus going into the trees may be necessary to upgrade to legendary status, though I'm not sure if you need to do so or if simply having smithing skill is sufficient, as my skill still isnt maxed out and I can only upgrade to exquisite so far. Test before investing perks). Alchemy for creating badass poisons to make the bow one shot things even more often.

Other than that, go crazy!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. This is what I want to hear. I thought you don't get perk points anymore after lv 50? Why do they call it softcap?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Not really - normally speaking if you're pure Destro you should be able to cast spells that decimate enemies easily :p

But sadly Destruction skill is crap unless fixed with mods.

i posted this in the mod thread but the responses there said that Destruction scaled just fine which was kind of different than all the other posts on magic scaling i had seen. :shrug

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=611
Improved Destruction Magic

This mod includes several improvements to Destruction magic to make Destruction damage scale as well as other kinds of damage, and also adds some stronger specialization possibilities. It includes several ESPs, each modifying one particular aspect of magic. They are:

Improved Runes.esp:

Increased rune base damage to 75.
Increased maximum rune count to 3.

Improved Master Spells.esp:

Increased Lightning Storm's base damage per second to 135.
Increased Blizzard's base damage per second to 30.
Changed Fire Storm to be instant cast. Left its damage alone.

Improved Master Spells Except Fire Storm.esp:

By popular request, this contains all changes in Improved Master Spells.exp, except any changes to Fire Storm.

Improved Expert Spells.esp:

Increases the base damage of the following expert spells so they scale nicer at mid-to-high tier compared to other damage builds.
Increased Incinerate's base damage to 70.
Increased Thunderbolt's base damage to 70.
Increased Icy Spear's base damage to 70.

Improved Cloaks.esp:

Increases the base damage of cloak spells so they're worth casting more often than not. In particular, increased base damage of all cloak spells from 8 to 12.

Improved Casting.esp:

Small changes to dual casting to make it feel a bit more powerful than it does in vanilla Skyrim.
Increased dual casting effectiveness boost to 2.5 from 2.2.
Increased dual casting time multiplier to 1.25 from 1.

Improved Destruction Perks.esp:

Augmented Shock/Flame/Frost perks now have 3 ranks and increase damage by 20% each rank.
Expert Destruction now also increases Destruction spell damage by 10%.
Master Destruction now also increases Destruction spell damage by 15%.

eek5

i posted this in the mod thread but the responses there said that Destruction scaled just fine which was kind of different than all the other posts on magic scaling i had seen. :shrug

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=611

I think destruction is fine until you get into the expert/master spells where it doesn't scale. The only way to make it work is to pair it with alchemy. Also dual casting gets impact but 80% more magicka for 20% more damage is silly.

So I've got a question for you all, what do you guys think of the shouting system? Don't get me wrong I like it, but how would you feel if all the shouts were instead placed in there respective schools of magic? Know what I mean? It just seems that shouts are spells that could have been implemented as such instead of calling them shouts. Would make magic wayyyyyyyyyyyy more in depth(while also pretty much destroying any plot skyrim has I know lol)

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. This is what I want to hear. I thought you don't get perk points anymore after lv 50? Why do they call it softcap?

"Softcap of 50" basically means that at level 50, the majority of the skills you utilize will generally be maxed out (in your case, likely sneak, archery, maybe lockpicking and smithing, etc). Therefore, if you want to keep leveling, you would have to use skills that you havent been working on and thus it will be difficult to continue leveling. For example, try fighting enemies at level 50 with tier 1 flames and shock to level up your destruction skill. It will take forever since your destruction skill is probably at about 15 right now, and it's so much easier to just shoot them with your 100 skill bow that has been pimped out. Similarly fighting with a two handed greatsword that you have no perks in and no ability with, so it does like the base damage of say 35 or whatever. On top of that each level up takes more skill increases to occur as the game progresses.

This is why they say "softcap" at 50. It doesnt actually mean you dont level anymore, it means that it becomes difficult to level continuing to play as you did for the first 50 levels or so.

Something amusing a friend posted on another forum.

yZulN.jpg

Cabbages, Cabbages, you know they can't be trusted

tumblr_kuz6ehjN4g1qas6gro1_400.png

Dresden

So I've got a question for you all, what do you guys think of the shouting system? Don't get me wrong I like it, but how would you feel if all the shouts were instead placed in there respective schools of magic? Know what I mean? It just seems that shouts are spells that could have been implemented as such instead of calling them shouts. Would make magic wayyyyyyyyyyyy more in depth(while also pretty much destroying any plot skyrim has I know lol)

I wish they trimmed it a bit. Stuff like fire breath or freeze could've been Destruction spells instead, for example.

Philia

"Softcap of 50" basically means that at level 50, the majority of the skills you utilize will generally be maxed out (in your case, likely sneak, archery, maybe lockpicking and smithing, etc). Therefore, if you want to keep leveling, you would have to use skills that you havent been working on and thus it will be difficult to continue leveling. For example, try fighting enemies at level 50 with tier 1 flames and shock to level up your destruction skill. It will take forever since your destruction skill is probably at about 15 right now, and it's so much easier to just shoot them with your 100 skill bow that has been pimped out. Similarly fighting with a two handed greatsword that you have no perks in and no ability with, so it does like the base damage of say 35 or whatever. On top of that each level up takes more skill increases to occur as the game progresses.

This is why they say "softcap" at 50. It doesnt actually mean you dont level anymore, it means that it becomes difficult to level continuing to play as you did for the first 50 levels or so.

Thank you very much for the clarification. I got loads of perks to spend then! :D But yeah, I can see how it can be a problem with 2h and destructive magic. I'm glad I'm switching to daggers now.

Just got 1000/1000 on this game (being unable to work currently sure helped) and, in general terms, I can think of two things that were better in Oblivion.

1. Better use of all the races. Each city or settlement in Oblivion seemed to have a wide array of each race while that doesn't seem to be the case in Skyrim. This is probably due to Cyrodiil being centrally located but it was disappointing not running into more Orcs or Khajiits or Argonians. Maybe ES VI.

2. The way dialogue is presented. I preferred the Oblivion style of initiating conversation, having the person face you, it zooming into them from the shoulders up, and having the dialogue box shown on-screen. There were too many times in Skyrim where another NPC would walk in between who I was talking to and just stand there and stare, or would start talking over who I was trying to talk to, or the person I needed to talk to for a quest would start talking to me without me initiating it Valve-style, or I would initiate and they wouldn't face me or look up or turn their head. I just feel it wasn't the solution to how to adequately change the Oblivion/Fallout style.

Those are the only things I can really think of.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap

you guys have it nice. I'm a dunmer so I should hate both sides. They dropped the ball in story department but it's usual deal for Bethesda.

another big drawback of the game is that YOU CAN'T KILL QUEST CHARACTERS. what. the. fuck. Bethesda games didn't have it before as far as I know. You just failed quests that were associated with these characters.

So, anyone have any tips on power leveling alchemy and enchanting?

Alchemy: Gather every crafting material in the world. Grab shit form bushes, fungus off walls, bits from animals and monsters, whatever. Everytime you come to an alchemy table, mix and match at random all your ingredients until you discover their abilities, then start pumping potions. Buy materials if possible to continue leveling faster. Utilize trainers at each level up to boost a skill by 5 points per level up, which also helps to make you level faster and thus continue to get more skills faster.

Enchanting: buy every soul gem in the world, and use an auto-fill item (bound weapons buffed with soul trap perk, or a soultrapping weapon with a 2 or 3 second trap on it and lots of uses) to kill every lowly creature wandering the world. Combine with power leveling smithing of iron daggers or leather bracers for ease of leveling, or just enchant every ring, article of clothing and other light object that you can carry 50 or 60 of. Enchant with petty souls, they level you just as quickly as enchanting with grand souls. Just enchant whatever nets you the most money on an item so you can flip them for more materials.

Larger money makers that I use, dependent on which enchants can be used on which items: fortify two handed, fortify destruction, fortify sneak, underwater breathing (at petty level. Grand is a waste, since it scales other items values, but at petty, the underwater buff is one of the higher sellers).

And, as with alchemy(or any skill trying to be powered quickly), use trainers.

you guys have it nice. I'm a dunmer so I should hate both sides. They dropped the ball in story department but it's usual deal for Bethesda.

another big drawback of the game is that YOU CAN'T KILL QUEST CHARACTERS. what. the. fuck. Bethesda games didn't have it before as far as I know. You just failed quests that were associated with these characters.

Important quest related NPCs couldn't be killed in Morrowind, so it's not completely out of left field.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So, anyone have any tips on power leveling alchemy and enchanting?

Enchanting is easy, just get a bunch of petty soul gem containers and a weapon with soul trap, and enchant a shitton of iron daggers or something similar. Which enchant it is and what strength soul gem doesn't matter for the levelling aspect, only in the final value of the enchant.

Alchemy is much more annoying, it gets experience according to how much money the potion was worth. So you need to get a LOT more ingredients. Either farm the shit out of everything, or fast travel for alchemy shops in every city and do rounds. Try a Giant's toe and Wheat for a quick expensive potion. And if you've found out which ingredients, fear/slow/paralysis potions make the most.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I am level 33 and a normal dragon jumped me by Meredias temple, well once he landed and before he was about to do anything I used unrelenting shout. Bam he just fell over dead awesome moment.

Welp,
Morokei
from the Mage's Guild quest is just plain unkillable. Holy crap. He's unstoppable.

Yeah thats what I thought too. But make sure you will the lower mage second, then just chill there and crouch down, and fling arrows and
Morokei
. Use the pillars on the platform as cover so his magic doesnt hit you.

Also, take a storm resist potion if you have any.

This method takes a little while, but your archery will go up a few points :)

Wallach

Actually yeah. Melee are pretty broken especially when their damage scales with the skill. For some odd reason however Destruction doesn't. That's what the Improved Destruction Magic mod is for.

Melee doesn't really have the potential to be broken because their damage scales with their skill; base Destruction spell damage even at Expert ranks is higher than any 1H weapon damage even at 100 weapon skill.

Even when you move beyond and start adding perks and other skills, it isn't trivial for melee to keep up with Destruction; Expert rank spells go up to 90 damage per hand with only the two-rank element damage perks. Then you can dual cast on top of that. And you can more than double that again with an Alchemy potion. Oh my gosh, how will we ever kill something with only a 360+ damage dual cast spell that staggers enemies from range and can cost as little as zero mana? Modders save us!

Destruction damage going up with skill doesn't fix anything that needs fixing, it just makes the game easier in a way it doesn't need to be.

Dresden

Important quest related NPCs couldn't be killed in Morrowind, so it's not completely out of left field.

Oblivion, you mean. Morrowind just popped up that message about how the flow of destiny was interrupted or something, iirc.

Or I could be completely wrong, it's been years. Lol.

Top Bottom