• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

scy

As far as Destruction is concerned, it doesn't need to scale at the normal 1-100 range. Yes, Weapons do scale but they also function completely differently in the sense that they're working towards full damage while Destruction is always dealing max damage from the start. A damage already better than the equivalent weapons get at every single point along the scaling curve for basically every single weapon classification or material type.

The only time that the Destruction really feels the sting from the design is when you factor in Enchanting/Smithing/Alchemy use to start getting things to an obscene level. The lack of a +Damage% Enchant is pretty much an awkward oversight here and it really shows when you go on to pursue hundreds of damage on weapons. Your only really across the board damage boost doesn't work with Master spells, which seems kind of silly as well (Dual Casting provides more damage for less mana than just casting the spell twice ... a bonus that Master spells can't take advantage of).

Also, Impact at 0% spell cost pretty much trivializes the game as far as a Mage is concerned. You just don't get to one-shot things like you can with a Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy physical character.

Oblivion, you mean. Morrowind just popped up that message about how the flow of destiny was interrupted or something, iirc.

Or I could be completely wrong, it's been years. Lol.

If I recall, it was first a message about you trying to sever the fabric of destiny itself or something along those lines to be in-world. Then it outright went "No, seriously, you'll fuck your game up if you keep this up." I always felt like I betrayed the game's expectations of me when I offed an NPC I really, really wasn't meant to. Like it just stood there towering over me shaking it's head at the vase I broke or something.

Impact/stunlock and the ability to reduce mana costs to 0 makes destruction as broken as anything else late game. It will won't be able to match the damage output or efficiency of using weapons. What that essentially means is that compared to using weapons, you take longer to kill enemies, but they still aren't much of a threat to you.

vaelic

Banned
2 questions:

in the PC version, can you hold things and move them freely around the screen? if so, how?

I just joined the companions. The guy said to talk to someone and he'll give me a better weapon. I spoke with a bunch of people but no one is offering. anyone remember who to talk to?

So I'm in Saarthal, which is
the first dungeon you're told to go to as a part of the Winterhold College questline
, feeling really dumb. I've completed the first story dungeon, but this time I can't find any clues to the puzzle which (I hope) will make a portcullis blocking my path open, which involves
six revolving pillars instead of three
. I've already tried a lot of combinations to no avail. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance!

2 questions:

in the PC version, can you hold things and move them freely around the screen? if so, how?

I just joined the companions. The guy said to talk to someone and he'll give me a better weapon. I spoke with a bunch of people but no one is offering. anyone remember who to talk to?

1) Use whatever key you have binded to pick things up and add them to your inventory. Instead of pressing it, hold it down.

2) Talk to Eorlund, the smith at the Skyforge. He is on the hill outside of the meeting hall, on the left when you approach Jorvasskr from the city.

the first dungeon you're told to go to as a part of the Winterhold College questline
, feeling really dumb. I've completed the first story dungeon, but this time I can't find any clues to the puzzle which (I hope) will make a portcullis blocking my path open, which involves
. I've already tried a lot of combinations to no avail. Anyone have any pointers? Thanks in advance!

Look on the walls behind each pillar, from beside the pillar. There is a symbol behind them.

Where are some rich merchants to sell to?

Build your speech skill up to the point where you can take the perk allowing you to invest in shops. Speak to a merchant and tell them you want to invest 500 gold in them. The merchant in Riverwood went from 750 gold to nearly 11k gold after investment. Others will have similar results.

NBtoaster

I've finished the main quest, but I never learned the become ethereal shout. Apparently I was supposed to pick that up in Ustengrav early on. How did I miss that :S

Use magelight. The correct sign is directly above the revolving pillars.

bunbun777

Hey just wanted to say that as a Destruction Mage that uses Conjuration and no Alteration, and no enchanted or smithed gear, I am still having fun and blowing the doors off all the dragons, draguers, mages, and anything else in my way.

Battles consist of me decimating my foes with a barrage of magic that just doesn't end. I occasionally will pop a potion if there are more than 5 enemies or 1 of the enemies is a boss but as a high elf I can pop the daily magic regen which is usually always enough. Or I just pull out my mace and start beating on foes while magic recharges.

If the stagger for two handed casting wasn't built in the kiting would be even more ridonk. But as it stands now there is a bit of kiting, a bit of strategic strafing and hiding behind obstacles.
Turns out I like to play as someone that runs around throwing fire and ice all over the ground and through the air. I LOVE shooting fireballs far far and still hitting targets, or at the least getting some splash damage. Ice Storm is extremely wicked for groups, especially when you use the wall spells in tight corridors. And sometimes I just have to chain lightning a group and see which ones fly away.

Nose Master

Does having a high sneak skill reduce the dragon encounters? I occasionally see them fly overhead, but they almost never aggro me anymore. I am not sneaking. I have the swift stone on, but still.

A challenge? We could all be playing on the game on easy difficulty, too.

It's not a challenge. 0 cost Destruction + Fire Wall = EZ mode. If something, Destruction is incredibly boring, you just run around and Fireball them to death.

Also, for anyone playing Sword+Shield - 3rd person view is mandatory, remember you can zoom it out.

"Conan, what is best in life?"

yZulN.jpg
"Cabbage."

NBtoaster

Just went back and got ethereal form. Turns out main quest dungeons don't respawn, everything was still dead inside. I imagine that bloats save files a bit.

Now I can finally jump off cliffs :D Feels like I've been missing out on half the game!

ok...PS3 version, WHAT is up with this god damn lag? I was never that noticeable before but now its becoming unbearable.

Been the hot topic about the game for a few days now. The more your gamesave file builds up in size, the worse the performance of the game gets affected. Beth has said that long-term PS3 gameplay issues will be adressed in their upcoming patch, but people have expressed lots of concern regarding Bethesda actually delivering such a fix, considering their past experiences with PS3 Gamebryo titles.

Is there a good way to level Alteration as a sneaky dude? I really feel like Archery and Detect Life go hand-in-hand, but I've never had a reason to level Alteration. I mean, what's in that school of magic other than light balls, anyway?

The Chef

Been the hot topic about the game for a few days now. The more your gamesave file builds up in size, the worse the performance of the game gets affected. Beth has said that long-term PS3 gameplay issues will be adressed in their upcoming patch, but people have expressed lots of concern regarding Bethesda actually delivering such a fix, considering their past experiences with PS3 Gamebryo titles.

Craaaaaaaaaaaap!!

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Does anyone know where I can find a Falmer Helmet? I've been hitting Dwemer ruins but none of the falmer I've faught have the helmet.

Edit: Found 3 in Shimmermist Cave in Whiterun Hold, west of Fellglow Keep.

scy

Build your speech skill up to the point where you can take the perk allowing you to invest in shops. Speak to a merchant and tell them you want to invest 500 gold in them. The merchant in Riverwood went from 750 gold to nearly 11k gold after investment. Others will have similar results.

Which others? I do believe this is a bug, not working as intended. It's supposed to just be a +500 Gold boost to the vendor as far as I know.

Not that I'm complaining about having an 11k vendor, mind you. He's the only vendor I can unload my 4k+ Value potions at :/

Not that I need the Gold or anything.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
College of Winterhold Spoilers:

Okay, so it seems my stuff in the Apprentice quarters has disappeared even though from the barrel that I put my stuff in.

Now as I realize the error of doing that, I hope the
Archmage's room's chest
is okay to store stuff in.

Since this game has a horrible way of managing chests and whatnot, I would at least to manage certain items by location.

Also, are only chests safe to store stuff in? If I wanted to put my books out on a bookshelf in my house, could I do so without fear that my books will despawn?

eek5

College of Winterhold Spoilers:

Okay, so it seems my stuff in the Apprentice quarters has disappeared even though from the barrel that I put my stuff in.

Now as I realize the error of doing that, I hope the
Archmage's room's chest
is okay to store stuff in.

Since this game has a horrible way of managing chests and whatnot, I would at least to manage certain items by location.

Also, are only chests safe to store stuff in? If I wanted to put my books out on a bookshelf in my house, could I do so without fear that my books will despawn?

Pretty sure only player owned houses are safe.
Archmage quarters
have a ton of items that periodically respawn. I'm assuming it is NOT safe to store stuff there because of that (although I haven't tested it myself).

Badgerst3

Ok- yet again I am dumb.

Loving fire destruction in my left hand. How do I increase?

If I buy a fire spell tome can/ does it replace my entry level fire spray permanently?

Also, in the same vain, how do I move up in fire destruction to get better spells?

Btw- though loving fire, does frost or lightning do much more?

Will be staying in the destruction realm for magic on first play through.

i-Lo

They're components you can use in forging armor and weapons. You can go to a forge and check what kinds of things you can make with what ingots and what other components you need.

On the Stormcloaks vs Empire thing: I fully expect there to be a tiny "Skyrim was reunited under an Imperial banner"-tidbit with an unspecified date next to it in the lore for the next game.

This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vs2O2uous8

Ingots are bars you smelt from different types of ore. You use them to make weapons and armor at forges.

To elaborate on that - get BLACK Azura's Star (you will know when to make the decision).

Thank you so much.

Btw, 2 questions:

1. I have just acquired the company of Lydia and the ability to purchase property in Whiterun. With asking price being 5000 pieces of gold, I was curious to know if there are some easy way to earn gold coins hastily?

2. My character model has been showing 2 arrows sticking out of him (one in the throat and the other in the leg) and was wondering if there was a way to visually remove them?

Is there a good way to level Alteration as a sneaky dude? I really feel like Archery and Detect Life go hand-in-hand, but I've never had a reason to level Alteration.

You can level it quickly by casting water breathing while inside a body of water, you don't even have to be underwater. Casting detect life in a city near a bunch of people works too.
I mean, what's in that school of magic other than light balls, anyway?
There are armor spells, but they are only useful if you forgo armor and smithing. The best thing about alteration is probably the magic resistance perks you can pick up deep into the tree.

Finished the Civil War quests,
put that douche Ulfric to the sword. Windhelm's treating the Dark Elves like people now that the Empire's in charge, all is well.

Wallach

Is there a good way to level Alteration as a sneaky dude? I really feel like Archery and Detect Life go hand-in-hand, but I've never had a reason to level Alteration. I mean, what's in that school of magic other than light balls, anyway?

Armor spells, Waterbreathing, Telekinesis and Paralyze.

Aeana

Ahhhhh...... Frostflow Lighthouse. :(
Triggered my phobia to insects. It felt good to kill the big one, though. The area itself was interesting, too. I didn't expect to walk into the lighthouse and find everybody dead and then be tasked with figuring out what's going on.

Ok- yet again I am dumb.

Loving fire destruction in my left hand. How do I increase?

If I buy a fire spell tome can/ does it replace my entry level fire spray permanently?

Also, in the same vain, how do I move up in fire destruction to get better spells?

Btw- though loving fire, does frost or lightning do much more?

Will be staying in the destruction realm for magic on first play through.

Learn Dual Casting through the perk tree. It will allow you to cast more powerful versions of all spells.

Buff the fire perks in the destruction branch to increase damage.

You can buy better spells (firebolt, fireball, incinerate, wall of fire) as you level up your destruction skill. It will not replace your spell, it will simply be another spell option open to you. Note that lower level spells will not increase your experience after a certain point so you need higher tier spells to continue leveling. I believe firebolt (tier 2) is available at most spell dealers like Jarl's wizards in each town, but I believe Faralda, the destruction mage/seller/trainer at the College of Winterhold, should be your go to resource for purchasing higher tier destruction spells. Note that spells are level locked, and you will not be able to purchase more powerful spells until you hit the required level competency in destruction, hence why dual casting and spell buffs are important to increase damage on your available spells while leveling your skills.

Tier 3 spells (Fireball, Chain Lightning and Ice Storm) have AOE effects which differ(fire-explosion; ice-large traveling cloud aoe; lightning-jumps from one enemy to another), each branch on the perk tree offers an effect at the end (fire-enemy flees; ice-enemy freezes/paralyzes; shock-enemy disintegrates), and each spell type has a different effect on opponents (fire does DOT, ice does stamina drain, and lightning does magicka drain).

Also, some enemies will be immune to various types of magic, or have resistances to fire/ice/lightning, so you may need to have a backup spell just in case fire isnt working.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Well, 35 hours in, and I just got my first crash. 360 version. Not too bad, haha.

Edit: Well, now my game won't load past the title screen. Shit. Hope this isn't a lasting problem.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
so I'm level 76 destruction and I've got the expert spell perk. when can I expect to be able to find the expert level spell tome for sale?

GhaleonEB

So, I'm doing the Forbidden Legends quest, and have gotten to dungeon #3, Saarthal. But it's locked up, and I can't get in. A check at various wikis tells me you get in via a College of Winterhold quest - is that right? I can't get in via this quest?

Top Bottom