• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Lakitu

st5fu
So, I'm on my way to Riften, visiting the town for the first time after 47h of playtime, and I ... I think I just saw two black mages ... hunting a goat? They were running around, casting some spells, but I couldn't see any wolf, bear or monster. Just few goats.

Skyrim?

Heh, that reminds me. I was near the border of Morrowind and there were like 4 or 5 goats that appeared as hostile on my compass. Except they weren't. But I killed them anyway.

i-Lo

...I'm sworn to carry your burdens." As much as like having her around, this is getting old. I wish Bethesda would patch this repetition issue.

Not to mention, I think she's being highly sarcastic.

Finalow

Some of the detail in this game is stunning.

jMccf.jpg

Dat face.

I use a detailed faces mod
ew, so ugly.

The Riften area in Skyrim is beautiful. No snow and rocky hills and tight passes. I also met a stray dog there and he's following me now. He's ugly, but I don't want him to die, so I'll stop exploring and go straight to Riften. Can I tell him to wait there and he won't disappear when I leave the town?

E: right after posting this, two cave bears attacked us. The dog lives, but Jesus ...

bengraven

I finally explored the western side of the Whiterun/Reach tundra. In the east you have flat ground broken up with mammoths and giants, while in the west the ground is rocky and higher...reminds me a bit of the eastern part of Morrowind's map.

Loved it.

Haunted

Except with alchemy you'd have much better +damage enchants, not to mention the damage-boosting potions themselves.
He's still right because that thing probably one-shots most enemies anyway, especially dual-wielded.

There are a lot of ways to get overpowered in this game, you don't even have to break the game to become overpowered on the highest difficulties. I think it doesn't matter as much which path makes you most overpowered (clearly a combination of alchemy, smithing and enchanting), because the game doesn't track overkill. :p

Doodis

It could be that you are not actually landing Soul Trap on the target? Only thing I can think of. Your target will softly glow purple while they're affected.

We have a winner. Thank you. I was just casting it and thinking it would affect whomever I killed within 60 seconds. Feeling a little silly right now, but glad to know what I was doing wrong.

i-Lo

Had a couple of question about Enchanting:

1. Let me preface it by saying that I am only on level 12 (iirc) and my enchantment level is low as well (because I don't use it as often). As I attached the enchantment, "Fortify magicka: Recharges Magicka 20% faster" to a ring it showed the actual increase only at 3% instead.

How does one actually retain the enhancement at the advertised level?

2. With regards to trading, is a fast way to achieve parity between the true value of items while both buying a selling (as shown in the menu) and the prices that are actually offered by the merchants?

Visceir

Except with alchemy you'd have much better +damage enchants, not to mention the damage-boosting potions themselves.

I've found some enchantment and smithing potions while raiding dungeons.

1. Let me preface it by saying that I am only on level 12 (iirc) and my enchantment level is low as well (because I don't use it as often). As I attached the enchantment, "Fortify magicka: Recharges Magicka 20% faster" to a ring it showed the actual increase only at 3% instead.

The gem you use for enchantments has an effect on how powerful they will be. You need a grand/black soulgem to get the maximum out of it. (And the perk from enchantment tree that boosts skill based enchantments.)

AEREC

The thing is, the onus is on you to play the way you want. If you want to retain challenge in the game, just play without using the tricks. It only breaks the game if you purposely try to create overpowered gear.

My thoughts exactly...TES has always been about letting the player customize their challenge (from allowing console commands, save anywhere, changing difficulty without penalty, etc...), while I would like a more closed system that doesnt rely on self imposed rules to create challenge...I can appreciate what they are trying to do.

For that reason with my character (who is basically a nordic warrior) Im choosing:

-not to quick travel
-not manual save every few minutes (I used ot be bad about this)
-not invest in enchanting, even though it makes the game easier, it would be out of character for my guy
-not picking Light or heavy armor perks since I like to mix and match armor types and hopefully this creates a challenge later on

Im playing on expert now and it's a decent challenge sometimes...I plan to knock it up to Master once I hit 50 though.

Just got the game but maybe I nodded off during the intro as I've just arrived at Riverwood and after conversing with the locals they all seem spooked about 'the war' or a possible war. I've honestly no idea who the factions/kings etc they are refering to.

Is there something I should read to fill me in on backstory?

bunbun777

2. With regards to trading, is a fast way to achieve parity between the true value of items while both buying a selling (as shown in the menu) and the prices that are actually offered by the merchants?

1- it takes into account you using a high level gem, such as grand or black. When you use petty it goes down a bit.

2- you will get better value when your speechcraft goes up. It goes up a little each time you sell something, as well as persuade, intimidate, and (?) bribe.(not sure about bribe)

Zeliard

You have to use the most powerful soul gems - grand and black.

The lesser the quality of the gem, the lower the enchantment buff.

Probably messing with the Speech tree. I've been ignoring that, though. Easy enough to make money without it.

AEREC

Just got the game but maybe I nodded off during the intro as I've just arrived at Riverwood and after conversing with the locals they all seem spooked about 'the war' or a possible war. I've honestly no idea who the factions/kings etc they are refering to.

Is there something I should read to fill me in on backstory?

You'll pick it up as you go along.

Drazgul

I've found some enchantment and smithing potions while raiding dungeons.

Sure you can, but with alchemy you can make better fortify enchant potions than you'll ever find as loot (not smithing tho, Blacksmith's Elixir gives +50% which is better than what can be made with alchemy). You can also make those potions/poisons worth 3,000+ with alchemy if you're short on gold. :p

Haunted

About enchanting: it's a combination of your enchanting skill and the quality of the soul gem used. At the low level you are and with common or lesser or petty soul gems, you will get worse results than the enchantments on items you find. Around enchantment skill 50 with Grand soul gems you're starting to get results rivalling and surpassing that of the "advertised" enchantments. Earlier if you start using potions.

About trading: I think that depends solely on your speechcraft skill + how much the merchant likes you. There's no quick way of levelling up except buying and selling tons of stuff and always trying and training speechcraft when the possibility shows itself.

i-Lo

1- it takes into account you using a high level gem, such as grand or black. When you use petty it goes down a bit.

2- you will get better value when your speechcraft goes up. It goes up a little each time you sell something, as well as persuade, intimidate, and (?) bribe.(not sure about bribe)

About enchanting: it's a combination of your enchanting skill and the quality of the soul gem used. At the low level you are and with common or lesser or petty soul gems, you will get worse results than the enchantments on items you find. Around enchantment skill 50 with Grand soul gems you're starting to get results rivalling and surpassing that of the "advertised" enchantments. Earlier if you start using potions.

About trading: I think that depends solely on your speechcraft skill + how much the merchant likes you. There's no quick way of levelling up except buying and selling tons of stuff and always trying and training speechcraft when the possibility shows itself.

You have to use the most powerful soul gems - grand and black.

The lesser the quality of the gem, the lower the enchantment buff.

Probably messing with the Speech tree. I've been ignoring that, though. Easy enough to make money without it.

Ah, thanks to you all three. I thought it was only down to the level for Enchantment.

Btw, once you have cleared an area or a dungeon, do enemies respawn?

Just found a dog called Meeko outside of Solitude. He led me to the shack he lives in, where his owner recently died of Rockjoint.

I took the poor mutt with me, I just couldn't leave him behind. :lol

scy

Besides what was already mentioned, there's also a few other things:

1) Find a beggar and give them 1 Gold; this gets you the Gift of Charity buff (+10 Speechcraft) which will boost prices ever-so-slightly.

2) Check Alchemy vendors for Draught/Elixir/Potions of Haggling (+Price%) or Glib (+Speechcraft).

3) As far as I know, there's only one slot you can Enchant with increased Prices: Necklaces. There's a guild reward that gives you a helm with better prices, however, so there's that. It's from the
Thieves Guild, if that isn't self-evident

4) There's a Shrine of Zendithar Northwest of Riften that grants a 10% boost to prices.

Drazgul

3) As far as I know, there's only one slot you can Enchant with increased Prices: Necklaces.

You found an item with + Price % you could disenchant? Hate how some items (like the aedra necklaces) are off-limits for disenchanting; apart from daedric artifacts, everything should be able to be broken down.

i-Lo

Besides what was already mentioned, there's also a few other things:

1) Find a beggar and give them 1 Gold; this gets you the Gift of Charity buff (+15 Speechcraft) which will boost prices ever-so-slightly.

2) Check Alchemy vendors for x of Haggling (+Price%) or Glib (+Speechcraft).

3) As far as I know, there's only one slot you can Enchant with increased Prices: Necklaces. There's a guild reward that gives you a helm with better prices, however, so there's that. It's from the
Thieves Guild, if that isn't self-evident

Wow! Thank you so much! I already possess a stolen necklace that makes prices 10% better. I have to try out the other things asap.

Angry Fork

Wow @
the sky
in the last quest of the main storyline. It was pretty easy for me though (disappointingly so). I did a shitload of other stuff, leveled up, had my bow and arrow at level 70 something. Beat
alduin
with like 5 arrow shots and not losing more than 1/6 health.

Now I feel kind of empty =(. I have a few more quests to do but nothing major. Beat all the thieves guild and Dark Brotherhood stuff. I thought the thieves guild in Oblivion was way, WAY better (stealing the elder scroll). I still don't even remember what I did in the last thieves guild quest in Skyrim. The whole thing was so short and non eventful.

Dark Brotherhood felt longer and I loved when
you had to disguise yourself as a cook, I love that kind of stuff
but then after that it went back to normal 'go kill x any way you want' kind of thing. I wish they restricted you more and made you wear x costume, kill with y weapon etc. that makes things so much more tense and difficult. At the end of brotherhood I was so leveled up that I could just fast travel to location, mow down entire groups with my bow and arrow, kill the target and that's it quest over within literally 4-5 minutes. That became so boring for me I wish they put more focus on disguises and forced you to kill a certain way.

The main story was much more interesting than Oblivion but thieves/darkbrotherhood from oblivion was much better imo which is disappointing in the end.

Dreaver

I think Lydia is stuck somewhere under a closet or something at my breezehome in Whiterun.
I decided to ditch her so I sent her home, later I upgraded my breezehome.

Everytime I enter my house now, I hear her voice, but she isn't there lol?

Any way to fix it? Poor Lydia.

Drazgul

I thought the thieves guild in Oblivion was way, WAY better (stealing the elder scroll).The whole thing was so short and non eventful.

This is a problem with all the guilds in Skyrim. Ranks are gone, and each guild only has one base; multiple bases and multiple questgivers like in MW/OB would've been better.

Zeliard

So...is there any reason to pick up those dwemer spare parts (large dwemer metal, dwemer cog etc)???

There's some small quest where you're asked to deliver 10 cogs, and other dwarven parts can be melted down and used to make dwarven gear.

You found an item with + Price % you could disenchant? Hate how some items (like the aedra necklaces) are off-limits for disenchanting; apart from daedric artifacts, everything should be able to be broken down.

Yeah I've got a Necklace of Major Haggling (prices are 17% better) that is able to be disenchanted, but an Amulet of Zenithar (prices are 10% better) that can't be. It's not a quest item either.

Haunted

Btw, once you have cleared an area or a dungeon, do enemies respawn?
Not on their own, I don't think.

If you trigger one of the randomised quests (by, say, accepting a bounty at a Jarl's place) in that location, enemies will be there again. Sometimes even different ones than before depending on the nature of the quest.

scy

Yeah, I'm fairly certain you can find it normally. I mean, I have the Enchant on two of my characters and I don't think I have any mods in play that would have allowed me to disenchant an Amulet of Zendithar. The modifier you're looking for is "of Haggling."

Incidentally, all the Daedra Amulets, despite not being special in any real way, are all flagged as items that cannot be disenchanted. Which is fine, I guess, but most of them don't actually even give you anything special barring the Talos one.

Wow! Thank you so much! I already possess a stolen necklace that makes prices 10% better. I have to try out the other things asap.

Was hoping to edit my post to get 5) in there before anyone posted~ There's also a chest-piece that gives +20% better Prices that you'll get as part of the Dark Brotherhood. Later spoilers for it but
Cicero's Clothes; if you spare him, you'll have to settle for the +12% Price Jester's Clothes that you find along the way to murdering him

Drazgul

Heh, I'm level 49 and I've never seen a haggling item like that (and I always check what vendors have for sale when I'm in town). Not that it matters anymore, I'm filthy rich but I'll have to keep an eye out for those on other playthroughs.

i-Lo

Not on their own, I don't think.

If you trigger one of the randomised quests (by, say, accepting a bounty at a Jarl's place) in that location, enemies will be there again. Sometimes even different ones than before depending on the nature of the quest.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain you can find it normally. I mean, I have the Enchant on two of my characters and I don't think I have any mods in play that would have allowed me to disenchant an Amulet of Zendithar. The modifier you're looking for is "of Haggling."

Incidentally, all the Daedra Amulets, despite not being special in any real way, are all flagged as items that cannot be disenchanted. Which is fine, I guess, but most of them don't actually even give you anything special barring the Talos one.

Was hoping to edit my post to get 5) in there before anyone posted~ There's also a chest-piece that gives +20% better Prices that you'll get as part of the Dark Brotherhood. Later spoilers for it but
Cicero's Clothes; if you spare him, you'll have to settle for the +12% Price Jester's Clothes that you find along the way to murdering him

Thank you both.

Zeliard

Heh, I'm level 49 and I've never seen a haggling item like that (and I always check what vendors have for sale when I'm in town). Not that it matters anymore, I'm filthy rich but I'll have to keep an eye out for those on other playthroughs.

I never actually buy items from vendors apart from lockpicks and spell tomes. Random enchanted items are just stuff I run across one way or another.

I steal a lot of shit. :D

Drazgul

I never actually buy items from vendors apart from lockpicks and spell tomes. Random enchanted items are just stuff I run across one way or another.

I steal a lot of shit. :D

Yeah I just have terrible luck in finding good enchanted items; had to go search for and buy the smithing enchant from a vendor as well.

I think the potions actually add to the skill itself (so +4% would make your enchanting skill 85), not make everything stronger by a percentage.

Interesting, wonder why it says 4% then.

So if I get my enchanting to 100 the base reduction for Magika cost will be 25% and not 23%? I'm just trying to figure out how to get 25%.

scy

Interesting, wonder why it says 4% then.

So if I get my enchanting to 100 the base reduction for Magika cost will be 25% and not 23%? I'm just trying to figure out how to get 25%.

Yeah, at 100 Enchanting you'll have -25% cost:

K5jsp.jpg

No Alchemy potion in play here.

Wow, Riften is really corrupt. A visitor tax? Really? It's a shame, because I like the city. Guess it's time to fuck some people up and clean this mess of a town.

E: I wanna marry Sapphire. <3

scy

Wow, Riften is really corrupt. A visitor tax? Really? It's a shame, because I like the city. Guess it's time to fuck some people up and clean this mess of a town.

Sapphire and Rune make me think that a time crunch or something hit since they would have made for great
Thieves' Guild companion quests. Maybe one for Vex and Devlin too because why not, though you see those two enough anyway. And they already have a quest for each of them

"You know, I could just call out that I'm being shammed... I'm sure someone in the city would hear it."

They let me in quick enough after that. :lol

webrunner

Pedantry incoming:

Zendithar is one of the Nine Divines and is threfore Aedric, not Daedric.

bounchfx

Any word when the patch is hitting? I'd really love to be able to do the thieves guild quests on my theif.. but the dude won't go into the ratway where I'm supposed to meet him :\. This is the only thing I've had any issues with so far.. blast!

scy

Pedantry incoming:

Zendithar is one of the Nine Divines and is threfore Aedric, not Daedric.

...lol, oops. You're right. In fact, all the Amulets would be that then (...and then + Arkay, Talos). It's Akatosh, Dibella, Julianos, Kynareth, Mara, Stendarr, Zendithar, Arkay, and Talos for the Skyrim Amulets, if I recall.

Lore is my weak spot. I know like ... none of it :(

Is there a better Amulet for reducing Shout cooldown time? I have the standard one that every Stormcloak seems to where (20% reduction) and it's pretty useless.

Top Bottom