• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

This son of a bitch .Fuck me. Hardest Dragon Battle I had. Ancient Dragon with some frost breathe. Killed the whole town. Took me forever to kill it.

TESV2011-11-2700-39-41-08.jpg

TESV2011-11-2700-41-40-07.jpg
Rorikstead?

I just re-discovered this bug where saving a game in your Whiterun house and then loading it will cause all furnishings to momentarily disappear. In result, all shit you've stored just falls to the ground.

Dresden

Combat stats for my Redguard thief, level 35 after twenty-four some hours:

People killed: 280
Animals: 129
Creatures: 44
Undead: 104
Daedra: 0
Automatons: 1

Favorite Weapon: Daedric Dagger

Critical Strikes: 307
Sneak Attacks: 294
Backstabs: 226
Weapons Disarmed: 0 (another indicator that this is faulty, I guess; Disarming Bash has stripped more than one opponent of his weapon)
Brawls Won: 2
Bunnies Slaughtered: 0

Don't really want to think about how many bunnies I killed on my orc assassin or the mage. Thankfully, I lead a virtuous e-life now.

Gorgon

Ok guys, help me out here. As a couple of you might know, my PS3 died on me while playing Skyrim.

Wow, same happened to me, lol. Hopefuly I'll have it back tomorrow after droping it for a laser change at a local electronics shop. Skyrim kills PS3s confirmed, lol.

For the people that don't fast travel at all, how are you getting on, level wise?

Sometimes I'll do a quest without fast travel and it'll take me an hour or more to actually get to the dungeon the quest is in!

I think a happy medium is to fast travel to the city nearest the dungeon and walk the rest of the way.

I didn't use fast-travel until I was around level 30, I think. I levelled rather quickly. I'll occasionally use it now when I've gone exploring and desperately need to drop off some loot. Some locations like High Hrothgar and the minor settlements I also consider fast-travel worthy, but I'll try and take a carriage there if I can.

Had a guard say to me how they favored one-handers like myself...while equipped with a 2h steel battleaxe.

Also had an epic dragon fight - 2 dragons spawned over a town as I came out of fast travel. Blood and frost. Didn't have too much trouble taking them down, though the frost dragons definitely tend to be more difficult than other kinds (that I've encountered so far.) It's interesting that some dragons are pieces of cake, and others can be really tough.

I've finished the main College of Magic Questline (which was pretty awesome, even though I had a few parts spoiled for me). An extended version of that plot line could stand alone as a single game honestly.
Poor Mirabelle though.

Not very far into the main quest-line at all, but beyond the portion I'm about to do
Which is infiltrating the Thalmor Embassy after visiting Solitude - I saw portions on a stream
I have no idea what's coming up, and I relish the opportunity to dig into the story with no preconceived notions. Same goes for Dark Brotherhood, which I haven't started at all, and the Thieves Guild, which I'm only a little ways into (on the first major quest for them, past the intro.)

For the people that don't fast travel at all, how are you getting on, level wise?

Sometimes I'll do a quest without fast travel and it'll take me an hour or more to actually get to the dungeon the quest is in!

I think a happy medium is to fast travel to the city nearest the dungeon and walk the rest of the way.

48h in and lvl 26. It's not that bad and I don't use horses (don't like riding them). I only use fast travel, when it's really just for some lame quest like "deliver this latter to some guy there, thx".

I tried to see if Whiterun's walls could be exploited in the same way as the walls in Oblivion's cities could, but it looks like Beth might have put invisible walls all around the city to prevent it. I am disappoint.

EDIT: Well shit on a stick, just fast-travelled to Skyborn Altar because I still had a bounty there. I arrive, get attacked by a Blood Dragon and while I'm fighting suddenly an Elder Dragon swoops in and starts attacking too. Time to
summon Odahviing
and let shit get real.

SorchaR

I wonder if it's okay to kill this Astrid. She annoys me and I don't feel like killing anyone right now. Well, except for her.

It depends on if you want to join the Dark Brotherhood. If you don't then go ahead it starts an awesome quest where you get to kill off the whole Dark Brotherhood

Lol, the Elder Dragon crashed down on the top of the mountain. I killed it. The Blood Dragon tried to crash down too, but because the spot was taken he ended up float-crawling along the side of the mountain. In true Bethesda style. I killed it, and its lifeless body tumbled down the mountain. I jumped after it, but couldn't find anything, so I teleported back to Skyborn Altar...

And reappear in the middle of the Blood Dragon's corpse.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
screenshot202tu2e.jpg

I spent a good ~5 minutes trying to find this bloke, as I could hear him shouting at me despite the fact there was nobody to be seen. Putting the pieces together, I turned off collision detection and entered the nearby building to find him in quite the predicament.

Does using cheats disable achievements entirely or just while a command is in use?

Zeliard

You can turn into a Werewolf and rip people to shreds. It expires after a set time (60 seconds I think), though you can't stop it yourself.

You can stop it yourself by waiting for an hour or two when enemies aren't in the vicinity. And you can also keep it going indefinitely if you wish by feeding on corpses, which also refills your health. With a certain quest you can also end up with indefinite transformations, instead of capped at once a day.

As a mage I use it at times for chuckles and to change things up. Sometimes if I don't feel like going around on horse I'll do so in Werewolf form, which is quite quick. And just hunt and feed on animals along the way. In combat it can be fun to smack some enemies around as Werewolf while they're distracted by summons.

I'm gonna take advantage of using Werewolf form to kill people anonymously so I can Dead Thrall certain town NPCs. :>

coopolon

Conjuration breaks this game pretty badly. Just summoning tow daedra lords I can win any battle. When one is killed just summon another. I've started instead raising dead bodies just to make it a bit more challenging (although I'm not sure whose sound files are more annoying, the yells of the daedra or the moans of the dead...)

Wish ice atronochs didn't get stuck in the geometry so much.

Hey guys, got a question.

My PC rig is not as good as I remembered (lol...). I just checked and while it works great for my job (3D modeling), I think for gaming it's already quite old.

Intel Core 2 Quad. CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 4GB
GeForce 9600 GT

Running on Windows 7 64-bit. Do you guys think I'd be able to run the game with at least the same visual quality as PS3 and 360? (which I know isn't the best out there, anyway).

Also, if I plug a 360 controller would I be able to play with it?

I plan on updating my PC around February of next year, and making a fairly powerful workstation for 3D modeling so it should be able to run the game quite well by then, but until then it won't be the best thing out there I guess... :p

I think so yes. Your CPU is fine, GPU will be holding you back pretty severely but at 720p with a mix of low and medium settings I think you would be okay. And the gamepad works flawlessly. Plus you can use mods, console commands to fix bugs, etc. And in a few months you'll get to play it in all it's glory.

Mik2121

Hey guys, got a question.

My PC rig is not as good as I remembered (lol...). I just checked and while it works great for my job (3D modeling), I think for gaming it's already quite old.

Intel Core 2 Quad. CPU Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
RAM 4GB
GeForce 9600 GT

Running on Windows 7 64-bit. Do you guys think I'd be able to run the game with at least the same visual quality as PS3 and 360? (which I know isn't the best out there, anyway).

Also, if I plug a 360 controller would I be able to play with it?

I plan on updating my PC around February of next year, and making a fairly powerful workstation for 3D modeling so it should be able to run the game quite well by then, but until then it won't be the best thing out there I guess... :p

edgefusion

I just found a great way to level up restoration magic if you're doing the College of Winterhold quest line. At a certain point (you'll know it when you get there) Mirabelle will be constantly casting a freeze spell. She doesn't stop even if you stand in front of her so you can just have your energy drained, step left, restore, step back.

Jintor

Jesus christ, fought my way through a bandit towers (sniping dudes into the river, awesome), killed a frost dragon, ambushed by a dragon priest while approaching the thing, companion runs in front of me TWICE and dies.

Fucking stupid-ass companion AI. IF PLAYER USING BOW, DO NOT STRAFE IN FRONT OF. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE A MAGE AND SHOULD NOT BE CLOSER TO THE ENEMY THAN ME.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
So glad I found the Atronach stone, its made fighting against mages abit more manageable, sadly I did have to give up my steed stone, but I enchanted myself some killer boots of extra weight capacity.

Jesus christ, fought my way through a bandit towers (sniping dudes into the river, awesome), killed a frost dragon, ambushed by a dragon priest while approaching the thing, companion runs in front of me TWICE and dies.

Fucking stupid-ass companion AI. IF PLAYER USING BOW, DO NOT STRAFE IN FRONT OF. ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE A MAGE AND SHOULD NOT BE CLOSER TO THE ENEMY THAN ME.

And that's why I don't use companions and won't even bother with them. The dog was annoying enough, can't imagine having a stupid person around me. The fact that I'm a destruction mage that can't even keep other animals save, while fighting a bear, doesn't help.

Lakitu

st5fu
So... Diplomatic Immunity. I just met
the contact in Solitude and gave him a bunch of my items (weapons and armour), but will I lose everything else I take in the embassy? If I do will I get them back before I leave? Are there also some important items in the embassy that I need to pick up (someone mentioned something about that before)?

So... Diplomatic Immunity. I just met
the contact in Solitude and gave him a bunch of my items (weapons and armour), but will I lose everything else I take in the embassy? If I do will I get them back before I leave? Are there also some important items in the embassy that I need to pick up (someone mentioned something about that before)?

Whatever you give him you'll get back during the mission, after the mission whatever you didn't give him will be returned to you. There is one of those 24 (26?) stones in the area that you go to which is what you refer to I think. Cool quest. You don't lose anything at any point, but you can't access what you didn't give him until you're done.

Yeah, I can't do the no fast travel thing. While Skyrim is more dense, I am still absolutely surprised at how each subsequent quest in the line I'm doing is "go way the fuck over here" and now "go way the fuck over there". I don't mind really, but it's still a bit surprising. I walk or go about as much as I find it enjoyable to do so, a lot of times I will fast travel to an area semi near like you say and walk the rest of the way.

So I was just on my way to Dragonreach to discuss the ongoing hostilities like all the other "great warriors" when a dragon attacked. Feels bad mang.

Love this post. I used to use him as my main enchantment spot so I heard this all the time, something about seeing it written out made me crack up.

Jintor

And that's why I don't use companions and won't even bother with them. The dog was annoying enough, can't imagine having a stupid person around me. The fact that I'm a destruction mage that can't even keep other animals save, while fighting a bear, doesn't help.

I have to admit I'm mainly keeping them around out of habit and distraction at the moment. I also like seeing mage duels.

Sharp

Invest in some healing magic man.

Also, for those who want to level Conjuration fast: conjure familiar, banish daedra, rinse and repeat. I don't really do that myself though.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You have committed crimes against Skyrim and her people. What say you in your defense?

Sethos

Banned

I just completed the main quest line and I'm at level 20, really enjoying the game without fast travel or horse carriage. I did start around two weeks ago and with a playtime of around 25-30 hours. When you 'slow' travel, you also learn a lot of useful shortcuts, it's not as bad as people make it out to be - You definitely need to buy the horse asap though. Having the game maxed out with graphical mods and that music running on high-end audio setup also help make each trip seem a lot shorter.

As for the main quest, the music in
Sovengarde
had the hairs at the back of my neck standing up, so fantastic.

Here's the track that was running there;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sx02mAkLLc

Also, Stormcloaks or Imperials? Haven't yet chosen side and I just can't identify with any of them - Normally I'm very law abiding but Imperials just seem like dicks ... So do Stormcloaks. I want to slaughter them both.

exYle

Invest in some healing magic man.

Also, for those who want to level Conjuration fast: conjure familiar, banish daedra, rinse and repeat. I don't really do that myself though.

You can also repeatedly cast Soul Trap on a corpse. Funny stuff.

RPGCrazied

People with the PS3 version. Does it really get laggy / hard to play when your save file is over 6mb? I'm just reading about this last night. I was so close to getting this version for Christmas, cause I don't have a 360, but alas I'm not so sure. They are working on a patch, right?

But they have said this before with other past games...

I'm not saying I feel sorry for bandits, but getting your lair raided by some falmer? Yeah, that sucks.

Edit: Part 2

I clear the lair and falmer cave, can't find an easy way out, so I go all the way back. As soon as I enter the main hall, guess who walks in?

The fucking bandit chief with her two of her guards.

Now I'm standing in the middle of the bloodbath, surrounded by bandit and falmer corpses.

I think you can imagine her reaction when she saw me.

People with the PS3 version. Does it really get laggy / hard to play when your save file is over 6mb? I'm just reading about this last night. I was so close to getting this version for Christmas, cause I don't have a 360, but alas I'm not so sure. They are working on a patch, right?

Didn't have a problem until around 10 megs. I'd say that you could play the game entirely and enjoy it without this really hampering you, but on the chance that it might (and if you're sitting on a gaming forum you'll probably play enough to encounter this) I couldn't recommend the Ps3 version to anyone.

edgefusion

Mine is around 12mb and after an hour or two of play it becomes a slideshow requiring restart. It gets steadily worse as the file size increases. If you really want to play it and only own a PS3 then you may want to just take the plunge (although grab a used copy so as not to reward those fucks at Bethesda), but if you have a capable PC or a 360 then definitely pick one of those instead.

Zel3

the more i play the more annoyed i get by what little impact my progress has on people

no one realizes i'm the arch mage so they assume i can't even clear out a cave of vampires. or when the you finish the civil war questline almost nothing changes. the best one yet is when i join the companions and they hate on my legendary daedric sword and give me a crappy steel sword instead. :/

Boof

the more i play the more annoyed i get by what little impact my progress has on people

no one realizes i'm the arch mage so they assume i can't even clear out a cave of vampires. or when the you finish the civil war questline almost nothing changes. the best one yet is when i join the companions and they hate on my legendary daedric sword and give me a crappy steel sword instead. :/

Make them pay for their INSOLENCE

SKYRIM

Mik2121

While it might not be 100% it's fault... my PS3 died playing Skyrim just a couple days ago. I'll be purchasing the 360 or PC version soon though, as I just can't live without the game :p

And I'll be buying another PS3 in two months or so, right now I don't have the budget :(

On the other hand, they entrust you to clear out the Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary.

Alone.

Aeana

After 30 hours or so, I finally decided to go meet the Greybeards. I hadn't touched the main quest in a week.

I don't think this game will ever end.

Whiterun Jarl: "Wow thanks for all the help I'll make sure the guards respect your status".

First Whiterun Guard Encounter: "Let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll".

I'm at the complete top of the Throat of the World, trying to see how far I can look.

I can see Red Mountain off in the distance (or at least, that's what I think it is), but can't see White Gold Tower. Alaas.

AEREC

I want to start the quest to destroy the
Dark Brotherhood
...but I dont want to have to kill an old lady no matter how mean she is...it wouldn't fit my character. Is there any other way to start the quest to destroy the
Dark Brotherhood
?

Top Bottom