• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Dunlop

chance encounter but I came accross the dragon that
ressurects the other dragons (Totally forgetting the name but begins with a N) and killed him. Was he supposed to be an encounter for later or does it not matter when he dies? would totally suck if new dragons did not spawn,lol. Ironically the blood dragon he rezzed is totally kicking my ass, normally those are pretty easy

Dresden

Bah, true thieves use bucklers! (wtb bucklers)

I was thinking about testing the marriage dealio with Saadia, but . . .
I turned her over to Kematu so that's not possible anymore. Feels bad man.

Leunam

Same with Argonians.

Tried dual-wielding today, but I don't see the point of it. I'd much rather be able to block attacks.

I'm enjoying it so far. If you have the stamina, you can clear out mobs of enemies given how fast you can power attack with both weapons. Dual wielding daggers with the speed perks makes combat pretty fun.

okenny

Banned
Hello guys,
Through some happenings, I've come across three Amulets of Mara. Will I be able to marry three wives? I need a wife in each of my (three) favorite holds.

Leunam

Orcs or Redguards don't get the mask either, just the cowl. Maybe it works only for female characters.

Female Redguard definitely gets the mask. Too bad you can't change whether you have the hood up, hood down, mask up, mask down, etc.

Hello guys,
Through some happenings, I've come across three Amulets of Mara. Will I be able to marry three wives? I need a wife in each of my (three) favorite holds.

okenny you are being a slut.

But I hope it works.

Not really. I recommend you check what DB quest line leads to :)
Yeah, well, too late for that. I hoped it would be a bit better than just clearing another dungeon, but oh well. Maybe on my next playthrough, in year or so. But then again, Astrid really pissed me off. Kidnapping me like that and saying I was in their debt, because they couldn't get the job done. And then she died after what? Three charged chain lightings? And that was supposed to be the leader of the brotherhood, that I, the arch-mage of Winderhold, the Thane of Solitude, Whiterun, Riften and Morthal, was supposed to join? Pathetic.

okenny

Banned

Damn it all to hell! Why give me three amulets if I can't have multiple wives?! The orcs get to have multiple wives so why can't I? I'm gonna have to file this as a bug! THIS GAME IS BUSTED! Bethesda hate Mormans!

...on a side note, are there any tutorials for starting a rage thread?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It says on the Wiki that a married NPC will become a merchant and sell stuff you put in their inventory. If I marry Lydia, I don't want her to start selling stuff I put in her inventory. How do I avoid that?

Otherwise I guess I'll marry some blacksmith. Too bad I can't marry Adrianne. I sort of like her attitude the VA is good, fits her character well.

okenny

Banned
It says on the Wiki that a married NPC will become a merchant and sell stuff you put in their inventory. If I marry Lydia, I don't want her to start selling stuff I put in her inventory. How do I avoid that?

Otherwise I guess I'll marry some blacksmith.

I guess make Lydia your housecarl and marry someone else. I'm in the process of filling that particular hole :|

Otherwise I guess I'll marry some blacksmith. Too bad I can't marry Adrianne. I sort of like her attitude the VA is good, fits her character well.

Only some of 'em do. Lydia, since she's a companion, doesn't.

Enco

I want to start the quest to destroy the
Dark Brotherhood
...but I dont want to have to kill an old lady no matter how mean she is...it wouldn't fit my character. Is there any other way to start the quest to destroy the
Dark Brotherhood
?
Cast frenzy on someone to do the deed for you?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Over 100 hours into this game and I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to being done. Easily my GOTY for 2011.

I believe Lydia is bugged atm so she can't be married anyway. As for the merchant thing, you're the only one who can buy from her so it's a non-issue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Over 100 hours into this game and I don't feel like I'm anywhere close to being done. Easily my GOTY for 2011.

I believe Lydia is bugged atm so she can't be married anyway. As for the merchant thing, you're the only one who can buy from her so it's a non-issue.

Oh I thought it said you give them items and they'll take care of selling them, rather than having to go sell things yourselves.

BTW guys so far I'm boosting health and stamina, ignoring magika. I'm doing stealth+archery, one-handed, shield, shouts. Smithing is pretty useless so far but I continue to boost it to get better stuff later I guess, but so far I never could make an armor that was better than stuff I found and upgraded. I do some enchanting. That's pretty much me. Any suggestion? I'm like level 16 or so.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
Finally burned myself out with playing this game after finishing the
Dark Brotherhood
quests, and I'll probably stop for a few days.

But before I go on, (
Dark Brotherhood spoiler
):
what is the treasure that Olava sends you to find after giving her the token? Is it worth it, because I don't want to trudge through another dungeon for something I'll never use.

*sigh* I've been playing PC games for more than a decade and for some reason I can not get quick saving through my head in this game. I can't tell you how many times I've lost 5 or 10 minutes at the worst possible moment. So frustrating. Does anyone know of a mod or script or something that can autosave every 5 minutes or something like that(alternating slots of course, wouldn't want to get stuck with an insta-death save).

Also, the first of what I assume is at least two fights with
Alduin
was so buggy for me. He got stuck in the sky and couldn't move, though I could still
dragonrend
him and shoot arrows to kill him. More amusing than anything.

EDIT: Wait wait -
Blackreach was SO UNBELIEVABLY COOL. Favorite part of the game so far for sure. That whole sequence was just perfect...you feel really like you're delving into the eternally lost depths to find a long hidden item of ancient power. It also implies so much cool stuff about the Dwemer.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Oh I thought it said you give them items and they'll take care of selling them, rather than having to go sell things yourselves.

BTW guys so far I'm boosting health and stamina, ignoring magika. I'm doing stealth+archery, one-handed, shield, shouts. Smithing is pretty useless so far but I continue to boost it to get better stuff later I guess, but so far I never could make an armor that was better than stuff I found and upgraded. I do some enchanting. That's pretty much me. Any suggestion? I'm like level 16 or so.

Nope, unfortunately you need to sell everything on your own. A majority of my playtime is actually spent fast traveling to merchants all across skyrim to get rid of weapons and armor that's weighing me down.

Smithing is actually one of the most useful skill-sets imo. You can spam Iron Daggers and easily max it out to 100 with about 5000 or so gold. And since I assume you have a bunch of dragon bones and scales, viola you have the best armor in the game. You can even make some awesome light armor with the dragon parts for you sneaky sneaky guys.

You can also power level enchanting in a similar manner but I would warn you, it breaks the game horrendously. Even on the highest difficulty, the game becomes a joke with very few mobs that can come close to killing you.

Saw something peculiar while riding around on my horse near Whiterun at night.
a ghost of a headless horseman riding down the road, followed him. Lead me back to his tomb I guess, I killed a Draugr that poped out of a coffin when I got close.

Only level 17? What have you done with those 45 hours? Read books?

I've pretty much walked/ran everywhere. Fast-traveled maybe a handful of times. I just explore and role-play my character as best I can.

Just about 50 hours now. Still haven't initiated the dragon-spawning quest.

KKRT00

Only level 17? What have you done with those 45 hours? Read books?

At my 45 hour i was still running around Whiterun :) I never play main quest in Elder Scrolls game, its always about exploring and doing shit around location i like.

I'm now 31, but at least 15 levels are from smithing, alchemy, enchanting and illusion [made 3 levels using courage in whiterun on people, stupid me ;\]

how many hours did it take you guys to realize the door patterns are on the bottom on the claws for the door? I think I was at 60 hours.
Lol, dont You ever start any Myst game :)

For me it was:
Oh puzzle, i dont want to search for clues, i'll try to guess it. I failed 5 times, so i'll started to investigate walls, but there was nothing conclusive there, then i wanted to guess it once more time, because i thought that i'll have to go all way back to room where i found claws, but then when i was putting claws into door, i saw that there is something under them, so i just opened inventory and bah :)

Derrick01

Banned
I love fully upgraded unrelenting shout. Came to a broken down tower near a pretty high cliff with some mage on the edge looking out over it. Since I'm in heavy armor he heard me pretty easily and turned around to summon something, but I hit him with that shout and he went flying a few hundred feet to his death :lol

*sigh* I've been playing PC games for more than a decade and for some reason I can not get quick saving through my head in this game. I can't tell you how many times I've lost 5 or 10 minutes at the worst possible moment. So frustrating. Does anyone know of a mod or script or something that can autosave every 5 minutes or something like that(alternating slots of course, wouldn't want to get stuck with an insta-death save).

Alduin
was so buggy for me. He got stuck in the sky and couldn't move, though I could still
dragonrend

Blackreach was SO UNBELIEVABLY COOL. Favorite part of the game so far for sure. That whole sequence was just perfect...you feel really like you're delving into the eternally lost depths to find a long hidden item of ancient power. It also implies so much cool stuff about the Dwemer.

Pretty sure that you can change it somewhere in the ini files, don't remember exactly where, sorry I can't be more helpful

Gravijah

Finally burned myself out with playing this game after finishing the
Dark Brotherhood
quests, and I'll probably stop for a few days.

But before I go on, (
Dark Brotherhood spoiler
):
what is the treasure that Olava sends you to find after giving her the token? Is it worth it, because I don't want to trudge through another dungeon for something I'll never use.

awesome upgraded dark brotherhood armor.

Well, at least he'll be happy. :p

Just got done with the Thalmor embassy. Fuck, I hate them and their attitude. I enjoyed killing every last one of them.

But did I read right?
Ulfric 'advised' the Aldmeri Dominion during the Great War?

Regards to spoiler: not sure where you picked up that information, though there is a file that seems to indicate he was
held captive by the Thalmor and perhaps some information was extracted, they go on to specify that they implied to him the information was useful, but that the tower had already fallen by the time they extracted any information. He is ex-Legion, he fought for the Empire.

KKRT00

Alduin
dragonrend

In SkyrimPerf.ini set

[SaveGame]
fAutosaveEveryXMins=5.0000

I'm pretty sure You can also set it ingame in gameplay options.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
So, guys, how do I trigger super awesome assassination animations? I don't get it. Any pro tips would be appreciated. <3

Boogdud

I have that same issue and i am imperial.

I'm wondering if any of the human races have this problem as well (or it's just another long line of argonian/khajit problems only). Apparently, if you have any armor that is sleeveless when in first person mode you have no skin textures so you see mysterious floating empty gloves holding your weapons. Tried it with multiple gloves, I don't have any other sleeveless armor to test with (this one is from one of the thieves guild quests).

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/649872251731323332/52E77BDABAB6DAA40D21997B03F9291B11E82B81/

Edit note: I figured out that it appears to just be a bug with "Linwe's Armor" not just any random sleeveless armor. Dang, I thought it was pretty cool looking. I guess no gunshow after all.. :(

So how do you think Bethesda will handle leveling in the DLCs? This has me worried because they have already said they plan to make them more shivering isles like than Fallout style, which means alot more hours per dlc.

I would hate for them to ignore it for those who have maxed out everything they could because the perks make leveling feel great.

Maybe add a couple new trees, like spears/halberds or a new magic type to level up, or simply add perk rewards to certain quest lines?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
sneaking up behind someone and using one of your weapons goes into an animation as long as it one hit kills them, iirc.
Huh, I guess I'm just not powerful enough to 1HK most people. Do I have to hold down the trigger to activate it, or will just quickly pressing it work?

Gravijah

Huh, I guess I'm just not powerful enough to 1HK most people. Do I have to hold down the trigger to activate it, or will just quickly pressing it work?

just hitting the trigger should work. do you have perks/items that increase sneak damage? once you get those, you'll basically ohko any humanoid with a sneak.

sneaking up behind someone and using one of your weapons goes into an animation as long as it one hit kills them, iirc.

I had one of them when I waited around a narrow corridor in a dungeon for a bandit. The only time I've seen it in my playthrough.

That last pic reminded me of the times where my horse sort of vanishes, leaving me sitting in mid air. Happens every now and then.

Jintor

Oh fuck yes. I had a mission to assassinate a dude who was always travelling with a caravan. While I'm scoping the place out a dragon attacks. So while everybody's focused on the giant flying burninator, I run up, slit the dude's throat, and then slay the dragon.

I'm the motherfucking Dohvakiin!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, guys, how do I trigger super awesome assassination animations? I don't get it. Any pro tips would be appreciated. <3

As you level up in sneak and get the perks for backstab and especially Assassin's Blade, they'll happen more and more often.

Side note, I love the (much more rarely-seen) first-person throat-slit animation. Feels so real.

edit: oh and to the question above- power attack is not necessary if you'd one-hit kill them with a regular x15 attack. For more powerful enemies, a power attack- or goddamn, the dual-dagger power attack- will still do the extra damage but you probably won't get an animation.

Ashuron

Wow. The Solitude house is so not worth the 25k. Reloaded my save.

I'm thinking of doing the Mages questline just for the archmage quarters.

Or maybe just buy the house in Riften.

GhaleonEB

Wow. The Solitude house is so not worth the 25k. Reloaded my save.

I'm thinking of doing the Mages questline just for the archmage quarters.

Or maybe just buy the house in Riften.

Once you get the upgrades, I thought it was. The one in Markarth is better bang for the buck, though.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Cool, thanks for the replies! I'm only level 17 or something, so I have a ways to go till my Sneak is where it needs to be, I guess.

Edit: On a totally unrelated note, if I see another dancing goblin WoW ad, I'm gonna flip my shit. So annoying.

Lakitu

st5fu
Regards to spoiler: not sure where you picked up that information, though there is a file that seems to indicate he was
held captive by the Thalmor and perhaps some information was extracted, they go on to specify that they implied to him the information was useful, but that the tower had already fallen by the time they extracted any information. He is ex-Legion, he fought for the Empire.

Yeah, that's the file. I must've misread it, thanks! I was too busy killing Thalmor scum.

In other news:
I just killed Grelod, lol. I didn't even bother using weapon, just used unarmed and my guy took her by the scruff of the neck and punched her three times. Old hag.

I also found a stray dog near Whiterun. He's pretty awesome, we watched the borealis together. Not going to let anything happen to that little mutt.

Top Bottom