• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

NBtoaster

Don't think anything will replace my whiterun house. It may be small but I know where all the town vendors are and it's close to the gate.

In Oblivion I was happy with the tiny waterfront shack too :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Once you get the upgrades, I thought it was. The one in Markarth is better bang for the buck, though.

Hmm can anybody list the available places you can live and maybe a little about the pros and cons (how much do they vary in cost? 25k is nuts)? Or link me to a similar description?

It's about time for me to have a base of operations I guess, but I don't want it to be Whiterun. I do have a special place in my heart for Markarth.

Well, I really love the
Nightingale armor
but since I'm an argonian and bethesda seems to think it's perfectly cool for a big tail sticking through the middle of a cloak, I'd like to get something else that looks sneak and isn't brown like a turd. So I'm trying to get the
guild master's armor

So I'm doing thieves guild quests where I have to pickpocket Hermir in Windhelm and the item I'm supposed to pickpocket is a flawless emerald or some such. I have gear with nearly 100% pickpocket success and literally every other item in her inventory is 90% success. However, the one item I'm supposed to steal is "0%". I've even used invisibility and waited until she's asleep and it's still 0%. wtf am I supposed to do?

Annoying.
Yup, this happened to me today also, but in markarth. Could not steal the item. I had to end up quitting the quest and starting a new one. I think it's a bug.

I have only seen the Whiterun and Riften houses, but I find the Riften house to be really agreeable for several reasons. For one it has an entrance both within Riften and without, that's to say you can get to or enter from Skyrim from the house, I like this. It also works as an entrance to the city or alternatively an exit. It's small and compact, I can quickly get to my enchanting table and leave the area to find a smithy and a general store in very close proximity. There are also 2 mannequins you can use if you aren't on the Ps3 version.

And who doesn't want to live on the water?

Jintor

Can't wait for the tools to come out so I can make my own house and never use it since the bother of moving all my looted shit there will be too burdensome and I'll probably be done with the game by then.

I really miss the House quests from Morrowind. Those were great.

Zeliard

Man, Dead Thrall is so bugged. I keep getting zombies randomly disappearing on me for no reason, and the game still thinks they're around. NPCs comment on it and in my Active Effects list I now have 7 separate listings for "Reanimated Thrall," each with like 50k hours remaining since they're meant to be permanent.

Shame because it's pretty fun to play with when it's working right.

Dresden

So, guys, how do I trigger super awesome assassination animations? I don't get it. Any pro tips would be appreciated. <3

Usually happens if:

- you do enough damage to kill them with that blow (early on in the game there were enemies that a single x15 backstab couldn't kill, a second sneak attack would trigger the animation)

- they're standing

- you're behind them

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just read up on Dead Thrall, interesting stuff.

Liked this section...
PRO TIP

Once you find some good thralls, you'll likely want to keep them. Unfortunately, this can stifle conversation with the residents of Skyrim, who will make comments about your spell and sometimes refuse to speak to you altogether. Luckily, there seems to be a gruesome solution. Walk your thralls to the basement of your home. Unsummon them by conjuring two familiars (or anything). The thralls will drop to the ground lifeless and await your next battle. You can collect a whole pile of bodies to choose from. It's difficult to test whether the bodies might eventually disappear, but it seems like they won't. Thus you can use them as extra storage containers if you're OCD about separating your items into different containers, but cool with dead bodies lying around your home.

Zeliard

Just read up on Dead Thrall, interesting stuff.

Liked this section...

Dead Thralls are great fun when they're working right. You can equip them with stuff (or they'll pick up items and equip themselves) as well as store items on them like a regular companion, with the added novelty that it can be a zombie of a very wide variety of NPCs, enemy or otherwise. Problem is when they just completely disappear. One minute they'll be behind me, next minute I'll look around and they're just gone.

Shittiest thing about it is Dead Thralls can normally be resurrected indefinitely since they never disintegrate like other zombies do; if they're killed, their body drops like a normal character, and then you can just bring them back. When they just disappear from the game world, you lose their body and them forever (you can presumably bring back that specific NPC through the console on PC, though whether they'll still have items you gave them is another matter).

GhaleonEB

Hmm can anybody list the available places you can live and maybe a little about the pros and cons (how much do they vary in cost? 25k is nuts)? Or link me to a similar description?

It's about time for me to have a base of operations I guess, but I don't want it to be Whiterun. I do have a special place in my heart for Markarth.

I only have the one in Solitude (it was my first) and Markarth right now.

Markarth has three self-stacking bookshelves with three shelves each, and each shelf holds 18 books. I've been hoarding books so that's a big pro for me. It also has a few dagger display cases, weapon racks, an armor display and a couple of shield displays. You can get an alchemy lab and enchanting station for it, and when you buy all the upgrades, the place comes absurdly stocked. Soul gems with the enchanting stations, ingredients out the ears with the alchemy lab. The bedroom comes with a safe, which has gold and gems in it already.

And so on. The whole place is just stocked. The base house is 8,000, with the upgrades running about 3,500 septims total.

If you just want one solid, somewhat compact but functional base of operations, it's a good one.

Edit: I almost did a post a couple days ago lamenting how lame the Delayed Burial quest was. I just got to the payoff. Awesome. :lol

two dragon down may just walk the land and kill dragon's :)
My second dragon (non story dragon) left me to go fight a giant and got slaughtered. I'm not gonna complain about a free dragon spirit. The third one was all mine and yes I felt like a badass.

How do I check total hours played on Xbox? I have been on at least 5 or 6 hours straight today between helping my wife clean our aquarium. Just curious. Could come in handy.

It has taken me a loooong time to warm up to these types of wrpgs but I'm loving this game.

bengraven

I'm really sick of the vendors not having enough gold.

I have a chest loaded with gear I can't get rid of because I'm sick of doing the "hit every capital" game to sell my stuff.

KingK

How do I buy the house in Riften? I've dealt with the Skooma problem there for the Jarl but I still don't have the option to talk about a house.

I have a chest loaded with gear I can't get rid of because I'm sick of doing the "hit every capital" game to sell my stuff.

That's another question I have. You can stuff everything you own in a chest? If that's the case, I had no idea. Right now my house looks like a hoarder's home cause all my stuff is sprawled all over the floor.

gdt

I think my Companions quest may be glitched.

Not too spoilery

After I get all of the witches heads, I return to the base, and you know who is dead, and then the greatsword guy tells me we're going to attack the base. Previous quest complete....then nothing. He just sits around and so does everyone else. Am I missing something?

As gate777 mentions, Windhelm has the best house but it's a bit pricier with the upgrades than the Markarth house.

I could never really get into Oblivion because I am too much of an instant gratification multiplayer gamer.
What is your favourite change from Oblivion to Skyrim?

I really enjoy the perk system. Makes leveling up much more rewarding.

Techno

Neo Member
I could never really get into Oblivion because I am too much of an instant gratification multiplayer gamer.

gdt

I haven't married anyone yet, I can marry Lydia? That's my main follower. The mages I've found are too strong :/.

Mordeccai

Oh my god, just had the most epic moment in this game I've ever seen, wish I had recorded it.

My friends had come back from break to the apartment and I wanted to show them the game. Usually I just fuck around and I always love to show them the giants outside of Whiterun and how they clobber you into the sky. Anyway, I saved and went to fuck with the giants, when a shadow swoops down and a dragon appears at my back. It sprays fire over the two giants, and I haul ass off and pop a few potions yelling HOLY SHIT!

I look back, and the dragon is fighting three giants and four mammoths. It was an epic battle of the biggest creatures in Skyrim. He flew off a few times and swooped down spraying fire and it looked great. All the while my friends are going "dude this is ridiculous!"

Before long the dragon soul flew into my body, it was awesome because I was meters away. Just streamed across the planes. I sprinted to the bones, looted it, sprinted again off to Whiterun. Thank god for the whirlwind sprint shout, wouldn't have outrun the mammoths without it!

Seanspeed

Banned

Instant gratification is something Skyrim does well. Especially considering how fast you level and get to pick from a large amount of skill trees to put points into.

webrunner

So.. uh.. I think I found some couple's love shack.

Northern coast, found a tent.. inside is full of wine and flowers, two pairs of boots, and two bedrolls.. no sign of the occupants though.

I dont know if this has been mentioned or not but a fan has taken ever skyrim book and turn it into a nice Ebook format available in Epub or mobi

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked this up. My first Bethesda game. Actually, my first console console RPG since FFX.
I've played a lot of WoW and a ton of Dragon Quest on the DS, but this all pretty fucking fresh. As a WoW player its weird to me to have such an expansive world with no other people running around in it.

Anyway, just finished my first session. Got through the opening act and into Riverwood. Stopped there. I read a few books, sang the song of the alchemists aloud to myself before reading the publishers notes. I stole some gold from a little camp I found, and killed two wolves. Game is fucking gorgeous.

I opted to move my xbox and everything to my computer station. To play on the 27in TV I use as an external monitor. It was a huge hassle getting everything hooked up. (VGA audio problems) But it looks great, and I'm really loving the more intimate experience playing closer to a smaller screen with headphones provides. Completely completely immersive. VERY excited to see where this game takes me.

This is the first "big" game I've played since Portal2. I mean, I got Trackmania2 and Child of Eden, but those are kinda smaller arcadey pick up for 20 minute experiences. Not something all encompassing.

Going out to a dinner party. Can't wait to get back and return to Skyrim.

Oh yeah, what do I need to get all the books on the Kindle App? Do you just download them are is there some sort of interconnectivity where they're "unlocked' on your Amazon account? Just curious, I think I want to start reading the books outside of the game after each play session.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh cool, I can just use iBooks. Thanks!

Oh yeah, I'm a lady Dark Elf with a mowhawk and black eyes.

Just beat it. Harbinger of the Companions, Listner of the Dark Brotherhood, Master of the Thieves Guild, Archmage of Winterhold's College and werewolf. Gathered all of the Daedric Artifacts, completed virtually all quests, I only have 6 achievments left to get and it only took 91 hours.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dangry/stats/TheElderScrollsVSkyrim?tab=achievements

This is easily my favourite Bethesda rpg and I admittedly haven't been their biggest fan. Oblivion got old fast outside of the Dark Brotherhood quest line and I prefer New Vegas to Fallout 3. Bethesda just got it right with Skyrim, there's so much unique loot (love some of the daedric artifacts), so many awesome side moments that you can stumble upon and while the Dark Brotherhood quest line isn't as good in Skyrim as it was in Oblivion all of the other faction quests are. All in all the game just kept hooking me. Even now I want to go back in and clear up all of those loose ends before the expansion and/or dlc comes out.

scy

So.. uh.. I think I found some couple's love shack.

Northern coast, found a tent.. inside is full of wine and flowers, two pairs of boots, and two bedrolls.. no sign of the occupants though.

Reminds me of the strangest camps I ran into on a recent character. Was doing the run to Riften area and I cut through a shallow lake area. Along the way, I spot a camp in the middle of the area and decide to head there to loot it because fuck you Bandits. As I approached, three fully stripped corpses come into view and I get ready for some kind of ambush. Nothing occurs so I just run the rest of the way into the camp, ready to loot the piles of armor and weapons lying around.

Once I made it to the camp, the three corpses were surprisingly quite well still alive. They had simply stripped off all their equipment and were laying in the hot springs around the camp.

I haven't managed to find them again :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys how do I recharge my magic weapons??? My bow doesn't freeze people anymore.

gdt

I think my Companions quest may be glitched.

Not too spoilery

After I get all of the witches heads, I return to the base, and you know who is dead, and then the greatsword guy tells me we're going to attack the base. Previous quest complete....then nothing. He just sits around and so does everyone else. Am I missing something?

I checked online, I see there are a few ways for this quest to bug out, but I haven't done any of that stuff :/.

Man I can't wait until a patch and/or the creation kit is released. I'm trying to clean through my quest log before finishing the main quest and I keep getting hit by bugged quests.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Guys how do I recharge my magic weapons??? My bow doesn't freeze people anymore.

You need a filled soul gem the bigger the more full it gets.

Open your inventory, mouse over the weapon, press T and select the soul gem you want to use.

wtfreely

Neo Member

If you're playing the PC version there's a great mod that ups their stock to either 2000 or 10000. i chose 10,000 just because it unrealistically lengthens the game having to run around selling shit to vendors in different towns. as well, considering how much magical junk i pump into the economy, it doesn't make sense for all these people to be poor as well, espeically how high they raise their prices

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Need a filled soul gem then go to your weapons tab and press the recharge button.

edit: beat

K but any soul gem can be used to trap a soul? On the wiki it says only black soul gems. I never found any.

edit: nm, soul gem worked, thanks

mileS

What do people see in Lydia? She's always super sarcastic and sounds like she doesn't want to do her job or serve for you at all.

Kyoufu

OMG Slow Time shout is awesome :D

Feels so epic with the battle music when a dual wielding spectral ass kicker is coming at you.

Top Bottom