• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Visceir

It does seem like a dragon shows up EVERY time I exit the
(new)
DB sanctuary. It wouldn't bother me as much if I could still fast travel but noo, I have to kill the dragon first.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Finally unlocked my shouts that I've been sitting on for hours. I have dragon souls to spend and didn't even unlock some of the newer cool shouts.I've goofed up on several things too, like not leveling up abilities via buying the levels or even taking up proper smithing. or enchanting. Starting to see some small fruits about 35 hours in now though.

Rokam

Alright need an opinion. Play this on a 32" SD TV or a 22" HDTV w/ HDMI (having to sit about 4-5' away)? Assume ideal lighting conditions in each room.

Alright need an opinion. Play this on a 32" SD TV or a 22" HDTV w/ HDMI (having to sit about 4-5' away)? Assume ideal lighting conditions in each room.

You shouldn't be playing anything on a SD TV anymore.

Also, after toying with Thief/Archer I decided to go back to my uber warrior... Damn it, can I please move closer to finishing this game? :D

As did I.

He's my dragon bro and tried to help me against Alduin.

I wish I had taken that course of action. Of course I hate the feeling that I've left a questline unfinished, so I killed him and now
The Greybeards refuse to talk to me and the Blade chick just gave me a 'Good job!' as thanks. Motherfucker. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Recommendations for magic defense enhancements? Magic just tears right though me.

I used Ysgramor's shield which you obtain from the Companion questline that gives 20% magic resistance and 20+ HP. Then there is a shield perk that blocks 50% of incoming magic damage while you're blocking.

It was pretty damn effective.

Recommendations for magic defense enhancements? Magic just tears right though me.

If you are a warrior you might consider Elemental Protection shield perk. If a Mage - try to get Impact from Destruction tree and stunlock them. If a Thief - don't get seen :D

Also, Shouts like Whirlwind are useful for getting close to a mage. If you have 2H weapon, you will 1-shot most of them.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
46A695FBB9ABFA3B83FD81DC608E78426A0D2110

If only the tooltip hadn't been in the way.

balddemon

Banned
Found out that unarmed on Master difficulty will be super hard. So I rushed to 60 smithing and 80 enchanting, and made myself some +11 unarmed damage gloves and ring. Even with the 8 or so level increase, I mow down most enemies with a power punch. Pretty legit, and allows me to focus on non combat skills like Heavy Armor, Speech, Restoration, stuff I hadn't while doing Destruction/weapon focused characters. I only wish I could poison my claws...

Has anyone found any Middle Eastern style hoods/headdress like the ones those Redguards in Whiterun wear? And the curved swords for that matter? I haven't tried killing them to see, so just wondering if anyone has seen any. Seriously. Need.

Aye. Head towards the northernmost point of the map, near Solitude. You run into more Red Guards.

There's also an early mission from ...

Whiterun. A dude asks you to find his family sword which is really easy. You go into a cave near White Run to get it and you can mowe through some guys with scimtares and get them.

I like the scimtar, good single handed sword. I've got one regular one and then another I've enchanted.

Pro-tip:

You can hide everything if you type "tm" in the console. Note that this will hide the command console as well until you type it again, but that shouldn't be too hard for anyone to type blind.

you clearly haven't met my dad...anyway thanks for the info, I have been changing hud opacity lol

_woLf

A quest I am doing got glitched and I don't know what to do :(

It's a post-completion Companions quest called
Rescue Mission. I had to go into a cave full of fire mages and rescue some guy named Altrys....but the problem is, I got to him and he's already dead, but the quest updated to say "Speak with Altrys"...I can't talk to him when he's dead. :/

Does anyone know if I can fix it without having to resort to a previous save..?

kevm3

Man that Paarthurnax quest is bullshit!

You want him dead kill him yourself don't tell me you are an order sworn to help the dragonborn and then turn around and tell me you wont help me if I don't clean up your garbage

Yeah pretty much. I don't owe them anything. They drag me along to 'aid them', and I do, and even gave them a little base, and now they want another favor before they help me? Sorry, no thanks.

I wish there was an option to decline quests so I can clear off some of those quests I actually don't want to do.

balddemon

Banned
Started a new character today. Thinking about just using console commands to level my smithing and enchanting rather than wasting hours doing it, lol.

haha, that's what I did. I just made a .txt file with the command "player.incpcs smithing" repeated 85 times and BOOM instant lvl 100 Smithing. I figure it turns out the same as if I had spent a couple hours grinding with Iron DAggers and Leather Bracers.

scy

I like the scimtar, good single handed sword. I've got one regular one and then another I've enchanted.

Speaking of Scimitars, there's a Unique one that can found during the Dark Brotherhood questline finale:
It's on the deck of the ship, at the very tip of the of the bow that you really have no reason to ever go near
. It even has an Enchantment that is Unique to it as far as I know (Bashing with it can cause Knockdown). Don't see it mentioned often.

Not sure if it actually has better damage than normal Scimitars, now that I think about it. Just checked in-game, same damage as a regular Scimitar.

Dresden

Speaking of Scimitars, there's a Unique one that can found during the Dark Brotherhood questline finale:
It's on the deck of the ship, at the very tip of the of the bow that you really have no reason to ever go near
. It even has an Enchantment that is Unique to it as far as I know (Bashing with it can cause Knockdown). Don't see it mentioned often.

Not sure if it actually has better damage than normal Scimitars, now that I think about it. Just checked in-game, same damage as a regular Scimitar.

Fuck, really? I missed that.

scy

Fuck, really? I missed that.

I don't think that it's technically missable short of not doing the questline. I never checked to see if
the boat leaves after the questline ends. Hell, I don't even know if you need to be doing the questline to get it to appear, actually
. When I get the chance, I'll run two of my characters that way to check.

regs

Something pretty crazy just happened so I figured I would share,

was outside of Whiterun where all of a sudden a frost dragon appears, I had already used a summon chant previously so that was still active, immediatly it starts attacking the dragon and shadowmere runs up and joins in on the attack, and then out of nowhere about 5 or 6 frost spiders(?) show up and start fighting the dragon also.

The dragon gets up and starts flying around, meanwhile shadowmere and my summon are fighting the spiders now until the dragon lands and kills the spiders, but wait yet ANOTHER spider shows up to get some licks in on the dragon and then a fucking giant shows up also and starts fighting the dragon, eventually winning the battle (all I did was cast some lightning at the dragon every so often and more or less watched)

The giant was pretty much dead, but they usually don't attack me unless I attack them first so I stood next to him and waited for him to get up, not surprising he didn't act aggressive to me and just sort of ignored me when fucking shadowmere just blindsides him and kills him.

I can't believe what I just witnessed lol

haha, that's what I did. I just made a .txt file with the command "player.incpcs smithing" repeated 85 times and BOOM instant lvl 100 Smithing. I figure it turns out the same as if I had spent a couple hours grinding with Iron DAggers and Leather Bracers.
Does it force your character to level?

Nose Master

So, there's a random dude in the theives guild that wasn't there before. Do they gain more members as you do the repeatable quests?
How many does it take til you "restore them to their former glory?" Can you do the same type over and over?

nib95

Banned
And how would I know considering this is one of the first quests I was given?

I have quests spread out all over the world, I have no idea which to do. Another dumb thing about this game.

Dude, just run away. I did the first time I came across him. Then I just destroyed him later on.

scy

I don't think that it's technically missable short of not doing the questline. I never checked to see if
the boat leaves after the questline ends. Hell, I don't even know if you need to be doing the questline to get it to appear, actually
. When I get the chance, I'll run two of my characters that way to check.

Alright, checking was easier than I thought. On my character that (Dark Brotherhood spoilers)
finished the Dark Brotherhood completely, the ship is still there. Small correction but it's on the tip of the fallen mast. My character that never did the Dark Brotherhood doesn't have the ship there at all, which I suppose makes sense

So, there's a random dude in the theives guild that wasn't there before. Do they gain more members as you do the repeatable quests?
How many does it take til you "restore them to their former glory?" Can you do the same type over and over?

You need to do
5 quests in Whiterun, Markarth, Solitude, and Windhelm. It doesn't matter which types. After doing 5 in a city, you'll be given a special job by Devlin

eek5

Yes.
You basically unlock a new merchant after completing 5 of those repeatable quests in each of the cities. The merchants kind of suck though but those quests also unlock fences for each of the cities which is kind of worth it.

Dresden

Alright, checking was easier than I thought. On my character that (Dark Brotherhood spoilers)
finished the Dark Brotherhood completely, the ship is still there. Small correction but it's on the tip of the fallen mast. My character that never did the Dark Brotherhood doesn't have the ship there at all, which I suppose makes sense

[/spoiler].
Ah, cool. I'll have to go back sometime then.

hypernima

Banned
Regarding the Dark Brotherhood quest where you
kill Vittoria Vici, I did that silently AND while she talked and still didn't get the bonus.
Anyone have this error for PS3 also?

managed to kill 2 dragons in a summoned frost atronarch and zombie ice wolf gangbang with my pure mage dude. felt nice, since before I hit lvl 15 they were a bitch to take down. Fireball amped with both hands is some good shit.

So right now my game's just full of bugs. There's a Daedra quest in the palace in Solitude that freezes every time I try it, I can't buy the house in Markarth because neither the Jarl nor his steward will talk to me, and I can't continue the Thieves' Guild storyline because Karliah won't leave the Inn in Winterhold. I think I can probably fix that one with a placeatme console command, but I think some time away from Skyrim waiting for a patch will do me good.

balddemon

Banned
Does it force your character to level?

yeah :/ I mean if you are able to Smith/Enchant good stuff it shouldn't matter that much. I didn't do it until I was already lvl 30ish. I don't think there's a way to up your skill level without leveling your character and still be able to smith Daedric or Ebony or Glass.

Milly79

The Thieves Guild achievement is a PITA considering how much work goes into it. Lots of coin involved, however so that's a benefit.

leng jai

Game seems to get progressively glitchier as you go. Mine is just crashing incessantly now during one of the Imperial fort raids.

nib95

Banned
I'm depressed I'm coming up to level 50 :( Still have so many perks I want to unlock, and it's annoying knowing everything will level up so much slower post 50. Boo!!

Abylim

Bah, all I have left to do is the last two city influence missions for thieves guild and I'm done, but I cant fucking take the lock ups anymore.
I leave riften, go to the mission, lock up.
It happens every other batch of missions. My save file is 15mb, I'm just shy of 120 hours played.

I want this platinum, but this is taking hours, when it should take minutes, or an hour or two.

I love this game, but this is testing me.

bengraven

Added a perk mod so I can get more than one perk per level. Feels cheap, but then again I'm only taking 2 perks per level and I would have never been able to max out any tree...considering how fucking slow leveling gets around 40.

Tenck

Added a perk mod so I can get more than one perk per level. Feels cheap, but then again I'm only taking 2 perks per level and I would have never been able to max out any tree...considering how fucking slow leveling gets around 40.

Ugh, I feel like I should look into this, but at the same time I don't want to be cheap!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Question : I'm only level 14 and started doing the companions quests, and Farkas wanted to join me on one so Lydia stayed behind, and now I can't find her anywhere, anyone know where she might be or how to find her?

scy

I'm depressed I'm coming up to level 50 :( Still have so many perks I want to unlock, and it's annoying knowing everything will level up so much slower post 50. Boo!!

Looking over the leveling mechanic a bit, 51+ doesn't actually slow down. It follows the same curve of (Level + 3) * 25 EXP needed to level as far as I can tell. The bigger reason it feels like it slows down is that by the time you reach 50, most your skills you commonly use are already at 100 so you're leveling skills that are, say, at 15-20 and you have to go out of your way to utilize them. Each Skill Gain gives that much EXP (i.e., going from 25 to 26 Smithing gives you 26 EXP) so you'll also be doing a lot more skill gains per level at this rate.

</math>

nib95

Banned
WUT. I thought that it was simply 10 skill gains per level up. I am out of the loop here.

Same. Good news is I have shit hot alchemy enchanted gear (hat, gloves, ring and necklace ar +21% alchemy each) that I haven't used much with Alchemy only at 30-40 or so. Just ended up using bought +20% enchantment potions I purchased from stores instead. Along with the final +50% Smithing Elixer. More than enough. My Ebony armour is at like 280+ (just the main single armor piece itself) without even taking in to consideration enchantments. Haven't even started on Daedric yet lol.

Hopefully that means that after I reach 50, I can easily use my gear to make crazy expensive potions for easy further level ups. I figure I need to get to about level 60 to get all the perks I want in the game (useful to me personally). Shouldn't be too hard if I can level up the stuff I don't usually use. Such as pick pocketing, lock picking, sneak, two handed, destruction etc.

Top Bottom