• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Darklord

Banned
What's with named Dragons? I fast traveled to a village and the head dragon resurrected one and it had an actual name but I thought those were only for specific story quests? I wasn't doing a quest.

NBtoaster

What's with named Dragons? I fast traveled to a village and the head dragon resurrected one and it had an actual name but I thought those were only for specific story quests? I wasn't doing a quest.

There are a few named ones placed just for flavor, no story purpose.

Anteater

If you're not melee and don't have a bunch of vegetable soups, you're doing it wrong :eek:

(Easy to make 1 stamina regen per second food, so you basically never have 0% stamina and as long as you have something, you can do a power attack without the penalty pause)

damn it, I sold all my food because I was too heavy with all the accessories and shit, fuck you weight limitation.

NBtoaster

Welcome to all of the quests.

This game kinda makes me want to go back to Oblivion for the better guilds and quest rewards. Skyrim does lots of things better than Oblivion but the guilds and loot are a step back.

Hope the DLC gives you some badass loot.

Darklord

Banned
This game kinda makes me want to go back to Oblivion for the better guilds and quest rewards. Skyrim does lots of things better than Oblivion but the guilds and loot are a step back.

Hope the DLC gives you some badass loot.

I think Patrick Klepik put it best when he said Skyrim's quest are generally a higher quality than Oblivion but never reaches the same peak.

Dommel

You should already have one. It drops REALLY often. "Amulet of Mara". If you don't have one, I have no idea how you missed it.

I'm level 31 after 52 hours of play and I literally loot ALL THE THINGS, every single urn in a dungeon gets turned upside down but I have yet to find this 'be my wife' amulet.

I'll talk to the dude in Riften then but I don't think it drops as often as you say?

Kyoufu

What do you guys think? Should I go deep into heavy armour on my mage and use the Daedric set? With the perks, there is no disadvantage to it right?

SteveWD40

For me, Skyrim > Oblivion with loot (kind of), in that I can wear Leather all the way through as long as I keep upgrading it, rather than "oh noes you now HAVE to wear big golden Elvish crap" that Oblivion had.

Oblivions dungeons were worse, but the guild quests were far better, at lease the Thieves and DB ones were.

Still, modders will have their way and we will still be playing this game in 5 years :)

kottila

If you're melee and don't have a bunch of vegetable soups, you're doing it wrong :eek:

(Easy to make 1 stamina regen per second food, so you basically never have 0% stamina and as long as you have something, you can do a power attack without the penalty pause)

2h all the way. I just thought that food was for health increase only and creating alchemy potions was enough ingredient collecting for me. So I guess I should start carrying some vegetable soup

Darklord

Banned
You can't get drunk? Lame, what's the point of all that mead and ale then?

I'm level 31 after 52 hours of play and I literally loot ALL THE THINGS, every single urn in a dungeon gets turned upside down but I have yet to find this 'be my wife' amulet.

I'll talk to the dude in Riften then but I don't think it drops as often as you say?

How to get it:

One is confirmed to be at Bleak Falls Barrow, second is in a tent near Hela's Folly shipwreck. You can also head to the Riften Temple of Mara and give 200 gold to Maramal. Alternatively, you can speak with a priest in the Temple of Mara and obtain a quest of love for Mara. Upon completing all objectives, you will be finally rewarded with the Amulet of Mara.

Arjen

My stuff is always knocked al over the place in my house in Marakarth (sp?)
My wife and Lydia are in Whiterun, so i really wonder who's messing up my place al the time. I spend way to much organising my damn bookshelfs.

yeah :/ I mean if you are able to Smith/Enchant good stuff it shouldn't matter that much. I didn't do it until I was already lvl 30ish. I don't think there's a way to up your skill level without leveling your character and still be able to smith Daedric or Ebony or Glass.

You could try giving yourself relevant perks all the way to Daedric.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Being a werewolf is such a waste of time. I mean, i got reduced damage, reduced health/armor, i can't heal myself, i dont have any ranged attack, i cant get resting bonus and i cant even cancel it when i want... i mean, other than running faster, what's the point?

SteveWD40

My stuff is always knocked al over the place in my house in Marakarth (sp?)
My wife and Lydia are in Whiterun, so i really wonder who's messing up my place al the time. I spend way to much organising my damn bookshelfs.

I have only come across this once in Whiterun, my blades sword just won't stay anywhere, it even mounts in the rack far too high and if I leave it on a table it will always end up on the floor.

Being a werewolf is such a waste of time. I mean, i got reduced damage, reduced health/armor, i can't heal myself, i dont have any ranged attack, i cant get resting bonus and i cant even cancel it when i want... i mean, other than running faster, what's the point?

Not turning into a werewolf, but being one gives you 100% resistance to diseases.

Abylim

Patch seems to work. My save went from 15mb down to 13mb, and the lag/stutter in the overworld and crowded areas/towns seems better.
Still some stuttering here and there, but a lot better. Played for over an hour, no lockups or ridiculously long load times. I just got the plat though, so my desire has dwindled.

Will make a heavy armor/2 handed beast for the DLC, whenever that may happen.

Awesome game, my experience (with the bugs and all) make it a solid 9/10. If I had of played with this patch, probably would be nearly perfect.

Khezu

Just started a warrior and doing the companions quest right now, the first dungeon you do as a werewolf was hell for me on master, kept dying to everyone. Then I found the roar button, shit is hilariously overpowered, not sure how well it scales or if it only works on humans, but aoe fear detect life is pretty sweet.

Lakitu

st5fu
I still can't cure lycanthropy :( I've tried and tried but it won't work. I've done missions for Aela and Farkas but they don't mention anything. Vilkas is also nowhere to be found. I think he might be dead because when I was coming back with the Companions, I saw a body fly into the air as it was killed by a frost troll. Couldn't tell if it was him because it was far away.

Kyoufu

You know this game is good when you play it for 17 hours straight. Something I never thought I would do after playing and hating Oblivion and Fallout 3.

coopolon

Heh, I've kind of screwed myself enemy leveling wise. I'm playing an assassin thief argonian. Just through regular play my pickpocket hit 100 fast, my smithing is in the 60s (I only ever smith components I find/kill in the world), and I'm lvel 33 or so with maybe 50 one-handed, 50 light armor, 30 block and 30 archery.

Just did the first real Companions quest, the dungeon is completely full of draugr deathlords. The companion you get stuck with is completely worthless against them. I have a hard time taking mudcrabs on in a 1 on 1 fight, and the companion keeps waking them up before I can backstab.

Thank god for on the fly difficulty switching.

ShinNL

Can anyone point me to the right direction for the 1-handed sneak attack gloves? I'm thinking about creating an alternative assassin char, but based on swords (not daggers, so not the backstab gloves).

Orlandu84

Heh, I've kind of screwed myself enemy leveling wise. I'm playing an assassin thief argonian. Just through regular play my pickpocket hit 100 fast, my smithing is in the 60s (I only ever smith components I find/kill in the world), and I'm lvel 33 or so with maybe 50 one-handed, 50 light armor, 30 block and 30 archery.

Just did the first real Companions quest, the dungeon is completely full of draugr deathlords. The companion you get stuck with is completely worthless against them. I have a hard time taking mudcrabs on in a 1 on 1 fight, and the companion keeps waking them up before I can backstab.

At least it is theoretically possible to correct your skill imbalance. I have found that trainers can be a big help to level up a particular skill fast. If I were you, I would choose either one-handed weapons or archery and train that every level till I were proficient enough to kill the NPC's I encountered. Just my $.02.

Tobor

You should drop some cash into training up your combat skills. You should have done it a few levels ago, honestly.

bunbun777

I still can't cure lycanthropy :( I've tried and tried but it won't work. I've done missions for Aela and Farkas but they don't mention anything. Vilkas is also nowhere to be found. I think he might be dead because when I was coming back with the Companions, I saw a body fly into the air as it was killed by a frost troll. Couldn't tell if it was him because it was far away.

Have you done the quest where you go collect the witchs' heads? The following quest will require one head to finish and you may use another (there are apx 5 to collect) to cure yourself. This will complete all the Companion main quests.

Just started a warrior and doing the companions quest right now, the first dungeon you do as a werewolf was hell for me on master, kept dying to everyone. Then I found the roar button, shit is hilariously overpowered, not sure how well it scales or if it only works on humans, but aoe fear detect life is pretty sweet.

This save my ass a couple of time!

verbatimo

The game works very well, almost perfectly during the first twenty levels, but then rust over the paint can be found, unfortunately, a lot. Level scaling and character development, and economic idiotism are not enough to spoil the whole game experience, but enjoying the adventure seems more difficult as levels rises.

I do not say game is shit. I fully welcome it 50 hours without any grimace, but the sad fact is however, that Bethesda could have made the game so easily so much better overall. I look forward returning to the game, with a couple of new characters, but it must wait for the game balance mods.

However, at present, this is a much cohesive package than Oblivion, and easily about 90 points game. It just, frankly annoys all the wasted potential, and the silly little errors in the game design.

So I married Mjoll the Lioness and Aerin still follows her? Need to find a clever way to kill him so she wont be mad at me.

found this while searching for Mjoll
http://babesinarmor.tumblr.com/

Haha, hilarious. Mjoll is awesome. Though that fellow never followed her aside from before she associated with me. I guess her former companion is left to drink his sadness away as he's in the permanent friend zone at the bar.

The game works very well, almost perfectly during the first twenty levels, but then rust over the paint can be found, unfortunately, a lot. Level scaling and character development, and economic idiotism are not enough to spoil the whole game experience, but enjoying the adventure seems more difficult as levels rises.

I do not say game is shit. I fully welcome it 50 hours without any grimace, but the sad fact is however, that Bethesda could have made the game so easily so much better overall. I look forward returning to the game, with a couple of new characters, but it must wait for the game balance mods.

However, at present, this is a much cohesive package than Oblivion, and easily about 90 points game. It just, frankly annoys all the wasted potential, and the silly little errors in the game design.

Found this to be very true for me as well. Much more true than previous Elder Scrolls games, though for what reason I don't know. I doubt it has to do with design change (scaling problems heavily present previously..) as much as something going on in my perception. Once I hit somewhere in the 30s I notice my enjoyment had peaked and started going the opposite range, at least where this kind of content is concerned. I actually started a new character after not too long and I am enjoying it immensely more because of this very perplexing reason. I dislike scaling, I think it is not natural to Elder Scrolls exactly.. it is not enough to ruin the experience, but it really shows strongly in the later levels to the point where I had very little interest in continuing.

As an example, there's no magic or amazement for me in that the Blacksmith auto updates his inventory based on my level and sells "appropriate" equipment, magic items, and crafting ingredients. It renders any mining activity irrelevant, as just about any old smith is going to have the items you happen to need at the time, for the most part. It's like a disease, once you see the first appearance of glass or etc it's like a deluge, appearing in shops and on enemies. I had better luck buying magic items from the random smith in Whiterun than going on quest for them. This is a multi faceted problem however, including the loot design for dungeons and enemies. Blocking players from spells at arbitrary limits of skill and perhaps level is ridiculous, I have to go back to these shops randomly to "see" if they "stock" new shit now, can't stand it. Find spells in the world ? HAH. Maybe ten years after you've bought it. I've experienced one instance of finding a more advanced book in the field than I could buy or had already bought ages ago relatively and it's possible that it had been already in the shop without my observation, as checking for that next spell that you could easily cast and use already is irritating as hell.*

In the end I still love the game, but I am becoming more critical of certain choices the design team seems intent on making and furthering. While I tolerate it and think it works well enough, I really question the streamlining of this series.

*Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong in any of my assessments.

This save my ass a couple of time!

Awesome avatar here man, what's going on with it? I mean, what's the origin? Combined with your username, a good situation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I still haven't met or been courted by a woman yet >< /foreveralone

On the positive side, I've racked more hours in 2 weeks with this game than just about any other game ever. That's saying a lot.

don't play this game on high volume on a good audio setup on PS3 with dts on. everyhing was silent in the night until that piece of shit dragon flew over me roaring and i fell off my couch.

i could even feel the air pressure his wings made.

Sethos

Banned
I really hate the difficulty curve. Throughout the game I'm playing on Adept I think, at first it was a bit challenging and stuff like Frost Trolls and Bears would just bend me over and do their thing. Game progresses, you start to kill these with ease and boom, some boss thingy, a caster or something just annihilates you in 2-3 hits. Hmmm, difficulty a bit down, kill it, back up and move on. Then it's nothing but a breeze, up the difficulty to expert for the extra challenge and each mobs puts up a nice, satisfying fight. Get to a stronger mob and they god damn two shot you.

CONSISTENCY FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! I can either difficulty level dance, i.e keep changing or I can get some somewhat difficult boss mobs and piss easy trash mobs or get nice trash mobs fights and get unbeatable bosses.

Bisnic

So i met some sexy bard in Dawnstar(?), im starting to regret that i took a random girl(Ysolda?) with some shitty robe in Whiterun as my wife now. :(

Wish i could get remarried in this game. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So i met some sexy bard in Dawnstar(?), im starting to regret that i took a random girl(Ysolda?) with some shitty robe in Whiterun as my wife now. :(

Wish i could get remarried in this game. :lol

One of the main reasons I'm glad to wait. 35 hours in and only have gone to 3 of the major cities and 1 of them has been to basically get a house (Markath). Although Markatch has turned up some other uses for me like leveling up my smithing and a few side quests which have arguably been the best in the game thus far (the abandoned house was great).

Bisnic

Yeah, but there is no way im going to restart a new character when mine is already lvl 43, just so i can get another wife.

Surely there is some PC mod somewhere that get rid of our current wife/husband? or maybe a console command?

coopolon

You should drop some cash into training up your combat skills. You should have done it a few levels ago, honestly.

I have leveled one handed and light armor from 30 to the 50s. Basically every time I was in town I would go to a trainer and level. I didn't do it when I was in the middle of a dungeon though, and I shouldn't have to.

Ducarmel

Surely there is some PC mod somewhere that get rid of our current wife/husband? or maybe a console command?

not sure if it works

DivorceEdit

Since divorce is not actually an option in Skyrim, you can use these console commands if you are not happy with your choice of marriage.
Code:
    Kill your spouse
    Enter console command resetquest RelationshipMarriage
    Remove the Amulet of Mara from your inventory.
    Enter console command SetStage RelationshipMarriage 10
    Use console commands resurrect and setrelationshiprank player 4 on your spouse to resurrect them.

After following these steps you can get a new Amulet of Mara and find a new partner to marry.

(Since console players do not have the ability to use console commands, the only way to truly be rid of your spouse is by murdering them.)

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Marriage

also if you want to add somebody to the marry faction
click the npc and type
addtofaction 19809 1

Also I cannot confirm I did not try it.

edit: beaten

Bisnic

So i have to kill my current wife, use some console commands, then resurrect her and i can do the quest again with someone else?

Nice. I know who's going to die when im back from work.

...That didn't sound quite right.

SKYRIM

Top Bottom