• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Kyoufu

Nothing wrong with swording as a mage! Good backup when the MP runs low, great for filling gems, and when you run up against a bunch of other mages with their fancy wards there's nothing like chopping a few heads off to send a message. Dawnstar is a good sword, i used that for a fair while. fire damage + turn undead etc.

Regarding soul trap for mages: there's a conjuration perk that adds soul trap to any bound weapon. Coupled with the dispell summoned creatures perk (and a few perks in one handed) and even at level 30 i'm still using the basic bound sword quite a bit. If you don't want to go down that road then the
mace of molag bal from the abandoned house quest
in markath has the enchantment. i just dislike having to recharge it.

I got a soul trap weapon, disenchanted it. Should I slap it on a Daedric Sword/Mace/Whatever?

Also, does the Soul Trap enchant itself require filling too?

Rookie

Neo Member
I am thinking about rolling up a new character My Bosmer is awesome. Just tempted to try something a bit different.

are there reasons not to use armor and be a spellcaster?

I am thinking about building a Breton, with a shield and primary attack being magic spells.

Any reasons why this won't work or is simply folly?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I'm playing sword/dagger + destruction and my destruction is at 62 and I have unlocked the "cast adept skills for half magicka" but where do you learn adept skills? The Mage in Dragonreach has had the same spells for sale since I started...

I haven't gone to the Mage college yet though, not even really sure where it is at.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is it worth it to cheese the iron dagger smithing exploit?

I've been playing 26 hours so far and just talked to the graybeards or whatever, so I'm not to far into the main quest. It's weird, even after doing a shit ton of sidequests I feel like taking on quests is a dice roll sometimes. Some quests I wreck the living shit out the enemies, but other seemingly mundane one off quests seem impossible at certain points.

Depending on what type of gamer you are it could ruin the game for you. It's pretty much like activating a cheat code.

nib95

Banned
For the record, for crazy overpowered weapons/armour, whilst Smithing level 100 and Enchanting level 100 is recommended (especially for the double enchantments per item perk that you get maxing Enchanting), imo Alchemy 100 isn't necessary.

I'm only level 46 or so Alchemy but I managed to buy numerous Enchantment Elixers from vendors (+25% Enchantment). Just save game in-front of an alchemist, buy the elixer if they have it, save game again, kill them, load last save and rinse repeat. Each time you kill them, when you re-load the save just before you killed them, for some reason all the vendors money and items refresh. An easy way to get all the items you want from vendors is to keep doing this till the one you want shows up.

Once you have the Enchantment Elixer, get to an Enchantment desk and take the potion (if you're super quick you can do it in a single potion, but two is recommended). You enchant the following (certain items can't have both so just do the one) with

Clothes - Fortify Smithing only (+28%)
Hat/helmet/circlet - Fortify Alchemy only (+28%)
Necklace - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)
Braces/Gloves/Gauntlets - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)
Ring - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)

Wearing the above gives you +112% Smithing and +112% Alchemy.

You don't need the Alchemy enchantments for the build, but I say do them just so you can easily level up Alchemy using the above gear at a later time. It's basically the ultimate outfit for any time you want to do Smithing or Potion making.

Wearing the above, take a Blacksmiths Elixer (an additional +50%) and when upgrading your armour/weapons (doesn't make a difference to initially forging them) and you'll have ridiculously powerful vanilla gear.

Then whilst still wearing your Enchanters outfit, take another Enchantment Elixer before Enchanting your new smithed weapons and armour for the (near) ultimate set up.

Only way to make better equipment is a longer winded set up that also requires level 100 Alchemy for a negligible difference in armour/weapon potency.

Dresden

So guys, what's this bug in Markarth I hear about? The one that makes all the guards hostile to you or something. Could someone just tell me what questline would trigger it?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So guys, what's this bug in Markarth I hear about? The one that makes all the guards hostile to you or something. Could someone just tell me what questline would trigger it?

The conspiracy one, right when you walk in.

mike23

Like Pancakes said, the one about the murder right when you enter.

It's really annoying, but I get around it by turning off AI Detection any time I need to visit Markarth so it doesn't end up bothering me too much.

bounchfx

really frustrated that I can't join the thieves guild on my thief character... when I plant the ring and brynjolf tells me to meet him in the ragged flagon, he never goes there. he and the people stay at the market forever. has anyone found a fix for this yet on 360? or have they said when they're patching this?? FFFFFFFF

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
OK, is this a bug or just stupidity from Bethesda? With the College storyline,
right when the Labyrinthia quest begins, most of the people in the college who usually sell me stuff won't anymore. They just have single lines and no dialog opens up. I'd like to get some spells so I don't umm DIE HORRIBLY during the Labyrinthia quest. Mainly I need some spells. Only the Illusion, enchantment, and restoration people will have dialog menus. The others just complain about what's going on. So very annoying.

All right, this is kinda creepy.
Tolfdir won't sell to me, but he has the time to go sit in a chair in Onmund's room and watch him sleep.

nib95

Banned
Guys, enchanting my gear.

Stamina or Stamina regen?
Magika or Magika regen?

Not sure what's better, more of it, or faster regen. Does having more of it autimatically make regen faster too given that more is regening at a time?

Can anyone elaborate?

Log4Girlz

Magika or Magika regen?

Not sure what's better, more of it, or faster regen. Does having more of it autimatically make regen faster too given that more is regening at a time?

Can anyone elaborate?

I went for stamina regen, I run like a horse seriously, I can sprint most of the game and have it regen superfast...when not in combat. Seems fun :D

Magika or Magika regen?

Can anyone elaborate?

Magicka regen isn't as useful as you'd think because regen is reduced drastically in battle and you don't regen anything while casting spells. You are better off using fortify destruction or whatever spell school you use in order to reduce mana costs.

nib95

Banned
Hmm...

Think I might go for more max. I mean, I have loads of stamina (280 or more) and honestly, it regenerates in the blink of an eye anyway. I can actually run from the entrance of Dragonsreach to the main Whiterun entrance without stopping with a quarter of my stamina bar left lol.

Well, started the Thieves Guild quest line, got to the part after
burning the bee hives and was told by Brynjolf that Maven Black-Briar wanted to speak with me. Can't seem to progress at all past that point. Brynjolf won't speak, none of the other thieves in the guild have any input, and Maven just says the same old crap she always has.
Fuck, Bethesda. I know you're notorious about this sort of thing, but there's no reason whatsoever for such game-breaking bugs to be in the game at release.

pakkit

Banned

Can anyone elaborate?

Faster regen - The bar fills up quicker after being depleted (by magic or by running/attacking)

More stamina/magic - There is more bar

I'd say that regen is more valuable, especially since once you level up enough all of your stamina/magika should be pretty high.

Right now my character has enchanted gear that gives me +250% magika regen and it's really opening up my options when it comes to battling.

I'm carrying much fewer weapons too since I can rely almost solely on Bound Sword/Bound Bow and my enchanted daggers.

Off topic - I have an awesome
Dragon Priest Mask
that glitches on the 360 and makes me faceless more often than not. It's so haunting and badass to look into the deep recesses of my hood and see NOTHINGNESS stare right back at you. It seems to fit well with the Dark Brotherhood questline I'm currently working on.

bengraven

Just joined the DB. Only have done like 4 Thieves quests, 3 or 4 Companion quests and STILL have NOT joined the Mages Guild at all. Haven't even been to the college.

And I just checked: 55 hours.

God

DAMN

What kind of creatures give you Grand Souls? I only have the regular Azura's Star, and it can't trap human souls.

Here's the best part - any human will give you Grand Soul, doesn't matter if it's a lowly bandit or a powerful mage. Sorry to say regular Azura's Star is worse than the other variant.

Well, started the Thieves Guild quest line, got to the part after
burning the bee hives and was told by Brynjolf that Maven Black-Briar wanted to speak with me. Can't seem to progress at all past that point. Brynjolf won't speak, none of the other thieves in the guild have any input, and Maven just says the same old crap she always has.
Fuck, Bethesda. I know you're notorious about this sort of thing, but there's no reason whatsoever for such game-breaking bugs to be in the game at release.
Apparently this is a pretty widespread bug. If you have ever previously broken into the Honningbrew Meadery, the quest is broken and you can't advance. The only solution I know of (PC only) is to use the console to complete the quest, and then use it again to start the next quest in line.

ajf009

Just joined the DB. Only have done like 4 Thieves quests, 3 or 4 Companion quests and STILL have NOT joined the Mages Guild at all. Haven't even been to the college.

God

DAMN

I'm around 65, finished the Companions, haven't started DB, Thieves, or College yet. I've gotten maybe two or three missions into the main questline

Cudder

HOLY FUCK. I just got the Ebony Mail armour. Best armour in game? It does 5 points of damage per second to an enemy when its around you. Wowwww

Macmanus

I finished up a Companion quest that made me ditch Mjoll the Lioness. Now I can't find her. Searched my house and Riften (not too thoroughly, though) and I can't find the lady.

Any clues? Perhaps recruiting Lydia back to by side would reset where Mjoll spawns?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

God

DAMN

I'm 75 hours in, on my way to level 41, have only accepted (not completed) the fourth main quest, have only joined up with the Companions and am still working through that quest line, and my most recently completed quest is the Daedric quest "The Taste of Death", which culminates with
the feasting on Brother Verulus

SKYRIM.

Tom Penny

Game is just amazing. Taking screens is so fun. Stupid bear trying to talk shit to a Dragon got lit up 0_0

TESV2011-11-2900-58-15-18.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-58-51-14.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-35-02.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-16-30.jpg

Game is just amazing. Taking screens is so fun. Stupid bear trying to talk shit to a Dragon got lit up 0_0

TESV2011-11-2900-58-15-18.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-58-51-14.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-35-02.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-16-30.jpg

God damn this game is beautiful. Just such an amazing world.

spent quite a while at the Mammoth/Giant camp outside of Whiterun with my level 11 hero.

2 giants
3 mammoths
2 sabretooth cats
1 giant enemy crab
2 wolves

God bless Dual casting fire, healing and oak flesh. One hit from the giant = instant death. This was a tough battle.

Unicorn

God

DAMN

I'm at like 107 hours. I just got to Solitude, the last major city for me to visit. There's STILL the smaller towns I haven't been to, like Rorikstead.

I have 2 characters though, one mage and one rogue. I've sorta been holding out on locations so I'll have stuff to look forward to on multiple playthroughs. I'll definitely explore Solitude with my eventual Valkyrie character for my 3rd or 4th playthrough.

This game is seriously the only game I need for the next couple years. There's nothing releasing in the next year that I'm at all interested in, so Skyrim is here to stay.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
HOLY FUCKING MOTHER FUCK

Ok, I'm in it for the long haul now. Just completely completely engrossed. Its incredible. I can't fucking believe this game exists. Oh man. I played a good 5 hours today, maybe 6. Gonna play a few more in a little while. Oh man. WOW.

Just played up to the point of getting the first shout. This is a completely new experience for me. I've never played an RPG like this before.

Unicorn

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER FUCK

Ok, I'm in it for the long haul now. Just completely completely engrossed. Its incredible. I can't fucking believe this game exists. Oh man. I played a good 5 hours today, maybe 6. Gonna play a few more in a little while. Oh man. WOW.

Just played up to the point of getting the first shout. This is a completely new experience for me. I've never played an RPG like this before.

Welcome. I feel kinda bad for anyone that had Oblivion as their first Elder Scrolls. I would wish that someone would play either Morrowind or Skyrim as their first, then try Daggerfall, just to see scale. haha

nib95

Banned
Thanks Aiden.

Also....Bloody hell. I don't have the Fortify Stamina Regeneration enchantment. Keep cycling through War Maidens store in Whiterun for any armour to pop up with it but nada for so many refreshes. Any ideas guys?

Apparently this is a pretty widespread bug. If you have ever previously broken into the Honningbrew Meadery, the quest is broken and you can't advance. The only solution I know of (PC only) is to use the console to complete the quest, and then use it again to start the next quest in line.

Thankfully, I am playing on PC, so I'll give this a try. I did enter Honningbrew Meadery, as it was one of the first locations I came across after traveling to Whiterun. I didn't break into anything, though - the door was unlocked.

Nose Master

It's easily fixed, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it happens, just run from the guards and get the guards in the Shrine to convo-aggro you, then pay the bounty.

PS: Fence, in Whiterun. Where does he spawn? You do get one for completing the misc Thieves Guild quests, right?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait til you fully upgrade that shout. Mmm.

but it turned out those one dudes were werewolves, i fought a GIANT spider, i solved a puzzle with a golden claw. i rode my horse off a cliff because i randomly got attacked by this flaming woodsman creature. the horse died and i lived. what a game

Nekrono

What's better Light or Heavy amor?

I watched GB's Quick Look and remember them saying that they regretted going Heavy Armor at the beginning and ended up throwing the rest of the points on Light Armor so now I'm wondering which to go.

I usually play the "warrior" role and like a good sword, shield and a knight-like kind of armor but if this game favors light amor I might go that way.

scy

Thanks Aiden.

Also....Bloody hell. I don't have the Fortify Stamina Regeneration enchantment. Keep cycling through War Maidens store in Whiterun for any armour to pop up with it but nada for so many refreshes. Any ideas guys?

Refresh harder, basically. Not any real big tip for it as there's no unique gear that has it off-hand that works for this.

Edit: Don't forget to check the General store. You may have better luck finding it on an Enchanted Ring or Necklace. If nothing else, it gives you another vendor to check.

Speaking of that, why are the Shadow Enchants (from Linwe's equipment) unusable :( Not sure if it's bugged that they're not allowed or if they're working as intended and the extra Resist Magicka and Absorb Health/Stamina/Magicka Enchants are the bugged ones.

I watched GB's Quick Look and remember them saying that they regretted going Heavy Armor at the beginning and ended up throwing the rest of the points on Light Armor so now I'm wondering which to go.

I usually play the "warrior" role and like a good sword, shield and a knight-like kind of armor but if this game favors light amor I might go that way.

You can max out on Defense either way so don't worry about that. Choose which has the better looks to you and better perks. Comes down to lower Stagger chance and Damage Reflect (Heavy Armor) vs Stamina Regen and Evasion (Light Armor).

It doesn't really favor either one. By late game the two armor types are pretty much the same due to the armor cap and nearly identical perk trees.

Wallach

I wouldn't say it favors light armor much. You will regret going light armor if you like knight-style full plate stuff as Skyrim has some beautiful heavy armors. At worst heavy armor and light armor will hit parity in protection (80% melee mitigation) so the differences beyond that are aesthetics and perks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'm 75 hours in, on my way to level 41, have only accepted (not completed) the fourth main quest, have only joined up with the Companions and am still working through that quest line, and my most recently completed quest is the Daedric quest "The Taste of Death", which culminates with
the feasting on Brother Verulus

SKYRIM.

Bloody hell. I still have the misc. quest "Speak to Verulus about the Hall of the Dead". Attempting to complete it via the console does nothing.

Damn you, Bethesda.

Top Bottom