• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Jeff Chen

Banned
So I got smithing all the way up and now I'm finding it really hard to get Enchanting up. Is there any quick way?

Enchant all those stuff you made when leveling up your smithing... it won't use more than half of them to get your enchanting to 100.

So glad I didn't let one bad dungeon experience get me down and so took another voyage into Skyrim's world tonight.

There's something very special about this game. Mechanically it hits every one of my gaming pleasure centers, in terms of progression, tailoring your own experience, weaving your own character histories through how you choose to play, and exploration that always has me wondering whats over the next crest. There is also so much variety to the player-driven pacing whether its sneaking inches at a time through ancient caverns avoiding traps, or setting them up to use against wandering creatures and worse.

But tonight its one thing in particular that brought it all home: Skyrim is beautiful.

Unlike something like Fallout 3, this is a game world I actually enjoy to spend time in, and to explore and take in the sights. The vistas from atop a cliffside rock, following a trail beside a bubbling brook, taking the steep switchbacks alongside a tall mountain while following a pensive fox - Its all like so much mana for my workaday metropolis woven soul.

The fact that is has this beauty, as well as darkness, and eeriness, and crazy action just seals the deal. Its not one thing, but myriad, but its the beauty of the crafted natural world, the animations and the attention to living detail that honestly takes my breath away.

I know I gush, but I just had to share ;P

/fanboy.

S39YW.jpg

(my pictures can't do this game justice)

Log4Girlz

I have a quest to kill a leader of a bandit area...turns out its forsworn with some dude...umm from a past quest which I do not really want to kill...called me friend and everything. But those guys keep attacking me on the roads! Should I make them feel my wrath?

KorrZ

Welcome. I feel kinda bad for anyone that had Oblivion as their first Elder Scrolls. I would wish that someone would play either Morrowind or Skyrim as their first, then try Daggerfall, just to see scale. haha

I played Oblivion as my first TES and if anything, it makes me appreciate Skyrim much much more. I thought that game was amazing (was my first Bethesda game) and now playing Skyrim...jesus fuck it blows my mind every time I boot it up. GOTY 2011

Log4Girlz

So glad I didn't let one bad dungeon experience get me down and so took another voyage into Skyrim's world tonight.

There's something very special about this game. Mechanically it hits every one of my gaming pleasure centers, in terms of progression, tailoring your own experience, weaving your own character histories through how you choose to play, and exploration that always has me wondering whats over the next crest. There is also so much variety to the player-driven pacing whether its sneaking inches at a time through ancient caverns avoiding traps, or setting them up to use against wandering creatures and worse.

But tonight its one thing in particular that brought it all home: Skyrim is beautiful.

Unlike something like Fallout 3, this is a game world I actually enjoy to spend time in, and to explore and take in the sights. The vistas from atop a cliffside rock, following a trail beside a bubbling brook, taking the steep switchbacks alongside a tall mountain while following a pensive fox - Its all like so much mana for my workaday metropolis woven soul.

The fact that is has this beauty, as well as darkness, and eeriness, and crazy action just seals the deal. Its not one thing, but myriad, but its the beauty of the crafted natural world, the animations and the attention to living detail that honestly takes my breath away.

I know I gush, but I just had to share ;P

/fanboy.

S39YW.jpg

(my pictures can't do this game justice)

Yea they really polished the "feel" of the game, and the world is absolutely beautiful. After so many hours I do wish for new vistas, but I'm ok.

was playing tonight and did some foul shit

so lately i've been travelling the land with my amulet of mara looking for a wifey that is worthy of the goddamn Dovahkin

havent had much luck finding my soulmate, mostly just all these ugly ork broads have been trying to get in my favor. Then things started turning for the worse as dudes started cracking on me.

Well I bought a house in Markarth and was disappointed to have some macho man randy savage lookalike as my housecarl. Worse off, when we first met I was wearing the amulet of mara and introduced myself and he immediately tried to get all in my pants.. hell no son. the goddamn Dovakhkin don't play that shit!

I pressed the start button and noticed I had an open quest for some Boethian priests that required me to lead someone to a mountain to be sacrificed. Needless to say, my house in Markarth is nice and quiet nowadays and less 1 person...

Socreges

Banned
So with all the talk of the PS3 bugs going on....

What about the 360 version? I know about the HD textures, but is there much else?

I hope it's bugged to shit so that I avoid buying it for another while. This game will destroy my social life and remaining good habits if I get it.

So I'm starting a second character after hitting 25 on my Orc warrior. Hes pretty awesome, but I really want to try a different playstyle. Decided to go with a Khajit, whom I plan on using bow, at least 1 dagger, light armor... and some magic. Does anyone else do something similar? I kind of want to dual wield, but the mechanics of dual-wielding seem kinda weird (haven't done much of it) and I kind of want to use some kind of magic, though I'm not sure which.

Any suggestions? I know play as you want and all that, but I'm more curious as to what works really well for some of you.

That's basically the build I'm playing, except I'm going more sword/mace instead of dagger (I just got the dagger sneak attack perk so I might switch to that soon).

Illusion magic is pretty handy for a thief -- it gives you Muffle, Invisibility, and the Quiet Casting perk. I also use a bit of Restoration just for the Healing spell to top off my health between fights.

Arjen

Skyrim is killing me, i have this thing in RPG's that i have to clear my sidequest log before starting/ finishing a big quest line.
So far i did 150 misc. quests..and it just wont stop..i think i need to break my habit.

After about 100 hours, I feel pretty done with this game. I started to do the thing where there really is no limit to how powerful you can smith your weapons by popping enchanting pots to get stronger alchemy, then use that alchemy to make stronger alchemy enchants, and repeating ad infinitum, but it would have been a lot of effort for completely unnecessary upgrades, because nothing in the game at max difficulty can really touch you with regular 100% bonus enchants, at which point, I realized I should just finish up my remaining quests. I still have the Mage's guild and what must be most of the main story left, but I pretty much did everything else I wanted to do: 100/100 in two handed weapons, heavy armor, enchanting, blacksmithing, alchemy, speech, and lock picking leaves me very little to level off of (I cheesed a few levels out of 100/100 illusion and alteration magic) and I feel like I'm playing the most "boring but effective" spec possible, not that magic seems all that much better. If I play again, it will probably be as a stealthy archer, but it seems like a pain to get started with. That I would even consider playing this again, though, is a triumph.

On a side note, I watched a video of someone playing on console for the first time yesterday: wow those load times are bad. Forget graphics and mods, the load times alone are reason enough to play this game on PC.

Skyrim is killing me, i have this thing in RPG's that i have to clear my sidequest log before starting/ finishing a big quest line.
So far i did 150 misc. quests..and it just wont stop..i think i need to break my habit.

I had the exact same problem, so I stopped asking for work around town. The only misc quests I have left are the bugged ones, which still irritate me, and not just because there are so many of them.

GhaleonEB

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER FUCK

Ok, I'm in it for the long haul now. Just completely completely engrossed. Its incredible. I can't fucking believe this game exists. Oh man. I played a good 5 hours today, maybe 6. Gonna play a few more in a little while. Oh man. WOW.

Just played up to the point of getting the first shout. This is a completely new experience for me. I've never played an RPG like this before.

What amazes me is after 93 (!!!) hours of Skyrim, I'm still having moments like this regularly.

This is one of the main reasons I think have yet to weary of traveling manually to my quests (taking wagons and horses). The game is just unrelentingly beautiful, and I'm still finding new combinations of vistas/weather/time of day or night on each trip. Tonight I was riding north across the tundra at 2:00 at night when it was partly cloudy, and it was just breathtaking.

In Oblivion, I think the quests hit higher peaks than Skyrim, and with greater frequency. Many of the side quests were wonderfully wicked, and the Dark Brotherhood was something I'll never forget. I can only think of a handful of really great quests in Skyrim so far, out of the ones I've done so far. In Skyrim, the world is the real star.

Tonight I hit the achievements for 10 side quests completed, and 50 dungeons cleared. I've got 48 quests or tasks on queue, and am still zig zagging about the land doing different things each night. Clear a dungeon on the way to an assassination, ambush a weary traveler, do some thieving, nudge a side quest along, knock off some bandit bounties, stock up my book shelves and loot displays And all the while just loving the look, sound, feel of being in Skyrim. The game just makes me happy each night. [/gush]

My quest queue is actually getting longer as my game goes on; the quests are multiplying. You know what else is multiplying? Louis Lutrush.

Last time I posted about him, there were three of them. (Well, two and a half.)

IMG_6165.jpg

Now there are five. (Okay, four and a half.)

IMG_6178.jpg

I want to keep playing this game for many reasons, and one of them is to see how many Louis Lutrush's spawn outside of Whiterun.

Anteater

On a side note, I watched a video of someone playing on console for the first time yesterday: wow those load times are bad. Forget graphics and mods, the load times alone are reason enough to play this game on PC.

Strangely enough I got used to the loading because I quick travel and enter houses so much that I made a habit out of browsing the net whenever I do, it becomes second nature.

So I've been abusing Invisibility and the x30 damage Backstab with my stealth character. If you time it right, you can slash at someone while invisible and cast Invisibility at the same time. I've been killing people and animals in front others and they never aggro me unless I screw up the timing.

was playing tonight and did some foul shit

so lately i've been travelling the land with my amulet of mara looking for a wifey that is worthy of the goddamn Dovahkin

havent had much luck finding my soulmate, mostly just all these ugly ork broads have been trying to get in my favor. Then things started turning for the worse as dudes started cracking on me.

Well I bought a house in Markarth and was disappointed to have some macho man randy savage lookalike as my housecarl. Worse off, when we first met I was wearing the amulet of mara and introduced myself and he immediately tried to get all in my pants.. hell no son. the goddamn Dovakhkin don't play that shit!

I pressed the start button and noticed I had an open quest for some Boethian priests that required me to lead someone to a mountain to be sacrificed. Needless to say, my house in Markarth is nice and quiet nowadays and less 1 person...

Haha, I enjoyed that quest

nib95

Banned
Finally completed my Daedric armour! All enchantments etc too. I'm not maxed in one handed or nearly maxed with archery so both stats should go up! She's a beauty and a beast!

Do you interact with the Thalmor in any major way (only barely into the main quest)? Even though I'm a high elf I want to kill all of them because they are dicks.

Arjen

Yesterday i spent my entire gaming session getting Gaulders amulet.
Unbelievable that such a long quest is just a sidequest you get from reading a book.
Totally worth it though.

Fucking Markarth. The Escape from Cidhna Mine quest (360) is bugged to hell. All the guards in the whole city are hostile and their conversation just loops around with no solution. A bounty hunter tracked me down in another city in The Reach and I paid off my bounty but Markarth is still shit. Does a bounty take time to go away or do I have to hope the patch fixes it?

nib95

Banned
WTF...

Came to a giant camp to test my new gear.

Two giants plus THREE mammoths PLUS a dragon. It is MAYHEM lol. Thankfully, if I just hide behind my shield I take zero damage. Otherwise even with this crazy powered gear I take a beating.

Do you interact with the Thalmor in any major way (only barely into the main quest)? Even though I'm a high elf I want to kill all of them because they are dicks.

You interact with the Thalmor in 4 or 5 quests throughout the game and various side quests. Most of the information about them comes from books you find, they have more of a presence the backstory than anything else.

GhaleonEB

Don't believe you can enchant Invisibility. Spell or potion only as far as I know.

Pretty sure that's right, Chameleon was removed. I like it that way - it makes the potions I find that much more valuable. They've been clutch on some close call burglaries, and helped me sneak in to slice someone's throat. If it was a passive effect it wouldn't be nearly as interesting.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
RE: companion quest full moon edition
that was the coolest and lamest shit ever. in less than 90 seconds i was like oh fuck im a werewolf, and then after the npcs attacked me and i read that the quest was called blood ritual i obvoiusly just had to die so just dropped the controller and took a drink

OR DID I JUST MAKE A POOR CHOICE/ DUN DUN DUN

RE: companion quest full moon edition
that was the coolest and lamest shit ever. in less than 90 seconds i was like oh fuck im a werewolf, and then after the npcs attacked me and i read that the quest was called blood ritual i obvoiusly just had to die so just dropped the controller and took a drink

OR DID I JUST MAKE A POOR CHOICE/ DUN DUN DUN
Just run back into the cave and you can avoid any civilians. There's even an exit to the outside of the city in the cave,

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Wait no it just kept on going from there. I just meant I was dissappointed
you have to die your first night as a werewolf to progress
was so obvious. Unless there were two paths. Either way incredible expierence. I canot believe this game exists.

Khezu

I just noticed, there are no golden saints in this game, that kinda sucks. Would have rather had them then dremora lords.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Two giants plus THREE mammoths PLUS a dragon. It is MAYHEM lol. Thankfully, if I just hide behind my shield I take zero damage. Otherwise even with this crazy powered gear I take a beating.

Wussy. You go back, you get in there with a two hander and you fuck their shit up like a damned MAN!

FStop7

Banned
How far into the main storyline am I?

I just met Paarthurnax and he's told me that I need to retrieve an Elder Scroll so I can go back in time to learn the dragonrend shout.

nib95

Banned
Wussy. You go back, you get in there with a two hander and you fuck their shit up like a damned MAN!

Lol. Meh, I fucked em all up with my shield/sword combo. Don't know if one of the giants took damage from a mammoth or the dragons breath or anything, but I'm pretty sure I one hit (power attack) killed a Giant lol. Anyway, putting the difficulty up now. Re-introduce the challenge now that I have my gear spec'd out.

jorma

is now taking requests

I do it the opposite way, i collect them and ignore them. Then sometimes i light them all up and go wherever i have a lot of them in close proximity so i can do a few in a row without traveling.

Ledsen

Is anyone trying to play this without fast travelling?

I've played 27 hours without fast travelling even once. I don't do one quest at a time because that would be very tedious, instead I just head for the nearest quest marker/town/dungeon and check it out if I feel like it.

Why the fuck would I do that? So many quests require you walk across the fucking world and back. It's not like using fast travel reduces the game to a 10 hour affair, or something. I use fast travel religiously, and I still have 80 hours in the game.

Because it's awesome.

okenny

Banned
Okay, just got to the
Shrine of Boethiah
... had to glitch my way up the mountain because I just can't trust clarivoyance :/ Anyways, I have a simple question to those who've played it...

Is this quest worth the fucked up thing it's asking me to do?

BLACKLAC

After you complete the companions quest can you still get work from companion leaders?

"Talk to the Companion leaders for work" is in miscellaneous.

I only did missions for Aela and that got me through the companion quest but did I miss out by not getting missions from other leaders before completing the companions quest?

okenny

Banned
I do it the opposite way, i collect them and ignore them. Then sometimes i light them all up and go wherever i have a lot of them in close proximity so i can do a few in a row without traveling.

Yesterday, I wanted to change things up so I collected about 5 (in addition to my 6) new major quests and (in addition to my 9) 8 miscellaneous quests and did like 5 of the misc and 3 of the major without ever doing the return [read: last] part until a reach said numbers and begin completing them in rapid succession by fast traveling to each end location. The payoffs kept rolling in and I felt like I was in Vegas or something... so satisfying. I freak out a little for fear I my break something but my first run went well. I'll trying it again after like 30 hours or so... I can probably do it a 4 more times at that pace before the DLC.

Top Bottom