• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Arjen

I do it the opposite way, i collect them and ignore them. Then sometimes i light them all up and go wherever i have a lot of them in close proximity so i can do a few in a row without traveling.

Yeah, i think i need to start doing that to. Sounds like a good way to handle it.

okenny

Banned
After you complete the companions quest can you still get work from companion leaders?

"Talk to the Companion leaders for work" is in miscellaneous.

I only did missions for Aela and that got me through the companion quest but did I miss out by not getting missions from other leaders before completing the companions quest?

I went down a similar path but I can't remember if the game forced me to go that path or not. I wonder I could have completed the companion quests without
becoming a werewolf
or
having the companion base attacked by the sliver hands
. The way it played out was natural or I remember it being that way. Did anyone finish it differently.

Haunted

I went down a similar path but I can't remember if the game forced me to go that path or not. I wonder I could have completed the companion quests without
becoming a werewolf
or
having the companion base attacked by the sliver hands
. The way it played out was natural or I remember it being that way. Did anyone finish it differently.
Nope, has to be that way.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Hit level 42 today and I'm finally starting to feel overpowered at around 120 hours in.

Nightingale Gloves + Flawless Dawnbreaker (R) + Flawless Mehrunes Razor (L) is decimating pretty much everything.

My sneak is maxed out at 100 and Blacksmithing maxed out at 100, so I decided to move away from stealth, get a companion and play it more like the insane dual wielding warrior that I am from here on. I picked up Jordis from Solitude and decked her out in full enchanted Ebony armor with an enchanted Ebony Fire Sword, the Shield of Solitude (badass shield btw) and a Flawless Volsung Mask, now she's strong enough to kill me in an outright melee fight. It pretty sweet running around in our Dragon Priest masks murdering everything in sight.

I'm debating whether I should up the difficulty but I really don't want to, it feels like it'd just be an artificial difficulty bump that would just be frustrating now that I'm having so much fun. I'm just hoping the game starts throwing tougher enemies at me soon.

Either way, 110+ hours and nowhere near bored yet. At this time in Oblivion I think I was already getting bored of the Mages and Fighters guild questlines and just rushing to beat the main quest... Not this time...

Back to hunting down these damn Dragon Priests.

Dresden

So I'm at Volskygge . . .
I see a dragon wall at the top and a coffin in front of it. Hmm, what could it be?

Anyways Volsung the Dragon Priest pops out and I'm going HOLY SHIT - dude takes off half my health with like a single frost spike - then I go to the menu, equip my boots with 50% frost resistance and my necklace with 60% frost resistance, and put on Dawnbreaker. I spent the rest of the fight just stunlocking him with Adrenaline Rush up while hacking away with the sword.

Difficulty is so odd in this game, with the goofy scaling; at Master there are bandits and Forsworn who can telepathically locate where I am a mile away while I stealth and then I can march up to Draugr Death Overlords without them noticing a thing.

okenny

Banned
Nope, has to be that way.

Thanks. I take comfort in that as strange as it seems. I've already resigned myself to the idea I may not be able to do every story quest in this game but the forks in the road poke deeper into me when I find out they were there after the fact.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So I'm at Volskygge . . .
I see a dragon wall at the top and a coffin in front of it. Hmm, what could it be?

Anyways Volsung the Dragon Priest pops out and I'm going HOLY SHIT - dude takes off half my health with like a single frost spike - then I go to the menu, equip my boots with 50% frost resistance and my necklace with 60% frost resistance, and put on Dawnbreaker. I spent the rest of the fight just stunlocking him with Adrenaline Rush up while hacking away with the sword.

Difficulty is so odd in this game, with the goofy scaling; at Master there are bandits and Forsworn who can telepathically locate where I am a mile away while I stealth and then I can march up to Draugr Death Overlords without them noticing a thing.

This is still the only Dragon Priest I've fought. And I really fucked up my entire approach here.
I scaled up here, got the word and randomly fought that hard as hell bastard, entered the nearby door and saw a Dragur Death Overlord by a throne...instantly killed him with stealth, went through the dungeon wondering why the hell that guy was at the start, hit a dead end and realized I was doing it in reverse.

SKYRIM

okenny

Banned
I did, near Whiterun.
After half an hour of jumping around a snowy mountainside I finally found a chest, but the loot wasn´t worth the trouble.

I found that one as well. There's this new one
Treasure Map VII I found on the outskirts of Windhelm
that Ijust can't figure out. Will try again later.... I'm currently milling over whether or not I really want to do the quest-line for Boethiah... talk about
rotten/evil
:(

Haunted

I did, near Whiterun.
After half an hour of jumping around a snowy mountainside I finally found a chest, but the loot wasn´t worth the trouble.
I thought that was kinda fun, a nice change of pace not to have it appear as an arrow but having to find the location and connect the dots on your own.

Not as cool as the treasure hunting in RDRedemption (at least so far), but eh. Wish I found more, but I only have the one near Whiterun (treasure map V, I think?).

where is a good area to get Daedra hearts? I have looked for them in alchemy shops and nothing. :/
Enthir at the college sells some.

okenny

Banned
where is a good area to get Daedra hearts? I have looked for them in alchemy shops and nothing. :/

Maybe the Meahruon Deagon (I butchered that :3) shrine? I grabbed a couple on the Azura Star quest-lines but those guys are hard if you don't have magic resistance.

Sec0nd

I found that one as well. There's this new one
Treasure Map VII I found on the outskirts of Windhelm
that Ijust can't figure out. Will try again later.... I'm currently milling over whether or not I really want to do the quest-line for Boethiah... talk about
rotten/evil

I'll give you a hint for the treasure

You go there
for one of the companion quests

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I did, near Whiterun.

Is that the one just south from the windmill? Only one I found too but then it's also pretty much a hub so instantly recognizable.

I do that too. Was only something I started this time, never bothered before but was purely because I was more interested in exploring.

Starting from Riften I worked my way southwest and then around the border of the map. Every now and then I would fast travel to Whiterun but only if me and my companion had too much stuff. Once inventory was sorted I would walk back to where I fast travelled from. Took me around 5-6 evenings to work my way round the map. By the time I got back to Riften and highlighted all my quests I had about 8 right there where I was.

Now though I am a little broken. I was focusing on doing one of the quest lines and after a drinking contest at an Inn, I blacked out. I think my Elf got date raped. Woke up in a strange place with a new quest, to find the guy who I drank with.

Dresden

Goddamn.

So I snuck up to a dragon perched on the edge of a cliff, and with two daggers, did a power attack on him - his healthbar completely disappeared - and then he flew off. I couldn't see him on the compass anymore, and I was back to hidden status when I heard a roar and I saw the dragon swoop down and land below the cliff.

So I popped the Ethreal Form shout and jumped off the cliff to deal the deathblow. Behind the dragon's corpse was yet another Dragon Wall.

Sogood.

SteveWD40

Really annoyed with the Forbidden Legends quest-line:

Got to the point where I am collecting the amulet pieces, get the first two and head over to the excavation shown on the map, can't get in, can't find a key, can't do anything.

Google it and it turns out I need to join the Mages college to get a quest to go in there...

At no point does anything in-game tell me this, I play a Thief so had no intention of joining any Mages guilds and don't want to, I even went to the place and tried to get in, some bint trys to make me summon a Flame Atronach and I don't even have enough Magika.

I even used the console to open the door but it must need the quest as there were no mobs and I couldn't get through a door that must be a triggered event.

SKYRIM

Arjen

Really annoyed with the Forbidden Legends quest-line:

Got to the point where I am collecting the amulet pieces, get the first two and head over to the excavation shown on the map, can't get in, can't find a key, can't do anything.

Google it and it turns out I need to join the Mages college to get a quest to go in there...

At no point does anything in-game tell me this, I play a Thief so had no intention of joining any Mages guilds and don't want to, I even went to the place and tried to get in, some bint trys to make me summon a Flame Atronach and I don't even have enough Magika.

I even used the console to open the door but it must need the quest as there were no mobs and I couldn't get through a door that must be a triggered event.

SKYRIM

You could get some fortify magic potions? You really need to cast 2 maybe 3 spells, to get where you need to be.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

Ugh, the thread was clean until you did this.

One game does not negate the industry or prove it wrong. Skyrim is the sequel to the game that helped start the DLC bullshit he rails against. It is also a buggy mess, which he neglects to mention in his rant. Yes, it sold wonderfully, but so did a lot of the DLC filled games he mentions. Batman, Battlefield, Call of Duty and so on. Sold very nicely as well.

Skyrim is the biggest threat to Call of Duty? Is he fucking high? Skyrim will never, ever even approach the sales numbers of Modern Warfare 3. The DLC numbers alone will be staggering for MW3.

No Jim. One game does not prove an industry wrong.

BTW, I love Skyrim. However, I had to stop playing as the quests have just become World of Warcraft at this point in my game. Kill this, fetch that.

I want Eola to be my follower but I don't want to have to
eat people

Maybe I just need to find me another cool mage friend instead, because it's awesome having your follower turn the dudes you kill into zombie allies for you.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ugh, the thread was clean until you did this.

One game does not negate the industry or prove it wrong. Skyrim is the sequel to the game that helped start the DLC bullshit he rails against. It is also a buggy mess, which he neglects to mention in his rant. Yes, it sold wonderfully, but so did a lot of the DLC filled games he mentions. Batman, Battlefield, Call of Duty and so on. Sold very nicely as well.

Skyrim is the biggest threat to Call of Duty? Is he fucking high? Skyrim will never, ever even approach the sales numbers of Modern Warfare 3. The DLC numbers alone will be staggering for MW3.

No Jim. One game does not prove an industry wrong.

BTW, I love Skyrim. However, I had to stop playing as the quests have just become World of Warcraft at this point in my game. Kill this, fetch that.

Fair post but it's ridiculous to say Oblivion helped start the DLC rage. It was coming, regardless of that and you know it.

I'm debating whether I should up the difficulty but I really don't want to, it feels like it'd just be an artificial difficulty bump that would just be frustrating now that I'm having so much fun. I'm just hoping the game starts throwing tougher enemies at me soon.

Same here. I played on Adept for more than 40 hours now (110 hours spread across three different characters), the difficulty seems fine. Given that the combat in Skyrim is not very realistic or precise, you would just be adding to the frustration. I started the game on Adept, played on Adept all the way until feeling OP, and it seems good that I should enjoy it a bit.

Arjen

I'm definitly to powerful for adept now (level 34) Bumped it up to expert, but it stil feels to easy, think i'll give master a go tonight.

Nose Master

Just realized jails have a chest where they store all the stolen shit they confiscate. Stumbled upon it messing around in Whiterun, had about 150lbs of random awesome junk in there.

I think I broke the AI, earlier. Stabbed an old lady in Whiterun, immortal apparently. No bounty. Guards still aggro'd. The weird part was, everyone else in the town would then aggro the guards.

Antagon

Next time you find a Briarheart, pickpocket the heart from him.

EDIT: Has anyone ever found a location noted on a treasure map?

Found two. They've got randomized loot, but always some enchanted stuff I think. The chests I found were near Whiterun and near Riverwood.

lmao, I decided to play last night after my wife fell asleep even though I knew I was already tired. Apparently I dosed off with my left thumb pressing up on the control stick. When I opened my eyes I was falling to my death off the side of a mountain. I screamed and thrashed around and my wife woke up and looked at me like I was insane.

SKYRIM

Hammer24

Banned
Is that the one just south from the windmill? Only one I found too but then it's also pretty much a hub so instantly recognizable.

Yeah, thats the one. I´ve got a couple more maps in my inventory, but I don´t bother anymore. There are still so many quests open, that I don´t feel like wandering around right now.

ElyrionX

Anyone sneaking around in heavy armour? How effective is it? Do you need the muffle effect (via spell, perk or enchant) for it to work?

Ducarmel

Anyone sneaking around in heavy armour? How effective is it? Do you need the muffle effect (via spell, perk or enchant) for it to work?

Instantly spotted when I move in heavy armor, I walk circle around people in light. My sneak level is 90. The only way I can get around sneaking in heavy armor is using fortify sneak potion or enchanted heavy gear with fortify sneak and muffle.

Alienups

Save first, give her your black gems and have her kill a single NPC. Wouldn't it be nice to have all your black gems filled with souls right away? NPC souls are always grand...

I tried before i went to bed last night and i couldn't replicate what happened. I had Mjoll kill bears, mammoths, humans etc and it only filled one gem each time.

Really odd

Oh well, time to get lvl100 enchanting i guess

NBtoaster

I didn't know the clear skies shout would actually clear the weather if you shouted at the sky, that's awesome. When I tried it before it wouldn't do anything because I wasn't looking up :p
NOW THE SKY BENDS TO MY WILL.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I went for stamina regen, I run like a horse seriously, I can sprint most of the game and have it regen superfast...when not in combat. Seems fun :D
I've been mainly buffing Magicka and health but I think with my next enchantment, I will try and go for stamina as I 2 hand with healing and light destruction. My main means of attack is my hand wep.

I'm around 65, finished the Companions, haven't started DB, Thieves, or College yet. I've gotten maybe two or three missions into the main questline
Is this something that happens when you meet certain criteria or just not being far enough? I assume if you now ahead of time you could go right in the beginning of the game?

Game is just amazing. Taking screens is so fun. Stupid bear trying to talk shit to a Dragon got lit up 0_0

TESV2011-11-2900-58-15-18.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-58-51-14.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-35-02.jpg

TESV2011-11-2900-59-16-30.jpg
You make some dumb posts but them are a good representation of cool things you can see in this game. I've had that happen and watched from a distance with my LOD settings turned up.

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER FUCK

Ok, I'm in it for the long haul now. Just completely completely engrossed. Its incredible. I can't fucking believe this game exists. Oh man. I played a good 5 hours today, maybe 6. Gonna play a few more in a little while. Oh man. WOW.

Just played up to the point of getting the first shout. This is a completely new experience for me. I've never played an RPG like this before.
For as many things as the true fans complain about (rightfully so), this game still manages to be quite amazing. I swear the art carries it from something good to great.

So glad I didn't let one bad dungeon experience get me down and so took another voyage into Skyrim's world tonight.

There's something very special about this game. Mechanically it hits every one of my gaming pleasure centers, in terms of progression, tailoring your own experience, weaving your own character histories through how you choose to play, and exploration that always has me wondering whats over the next crest. There is also so much variety to the player-driven pacing whether its sneaking inches at a time through ancient caverns avoiding traps, or setting them up to use against wandering creatures and worse.

But tonight its one thing in particular that brought it all home: Skyrim is beautiful.

Unlike something like Fallout 3, this is a game world I actually enjoy to spend time in, and to explore and take in the sights. The vistas from atop a cliffside rock, following a trail beside a bubbling brook, taking the steep switchbacks alongside a tall mountain while following a pensive fox - Its all like so much mana for my workaday metropolis woven soul.

The fact that is has this beauty, as well as darkness, and eeriness, and crazy action just seals the deal. Its not one thing, but myriad, but its the beauty of the crafted natural world, the animations and the attention to living detail that honestly takes my breath away.

I know I gush, but I just had to share ;P

/fanboy.

S39YW.jpg

(my pictures can't do this game justice)
SKYRIM be with you.

What amazes me is after 93 (!!!) hours of Skyrim, I'm still having moments like this regularly.

This is one of the main reasons I think have yet to weary of traveling manually to my quests (taking wagons and horses). The game is just unrelentingly beautiful, and I'm still finding new combinations of vistas/weather/time of day or night on each trip. Tonight I was riding north across the tundra at 2:00 at night when it was partly cloudy, and it was just breathtaking.

In Oblivion, I think the quests hit higher peaks than Skyrim, and with greater frequency. Many of the side quests were wonderfully wicked, and the Dark Brotherhood was something I'll never forget. I can only think of a handful of really great quests in Skyrim so far, out of the ones I've done so far. In Skyrim, the world is the real star.

Tonight I hit the achievements for 10 side quests completed, and 50 dungeons cleared. I've got 48 quests or tasks on queue, and am still zig zagging about the land doing different things each night. Clear a dungeon on the way to an assassination, ambush a weary traveler, do some thieving, nudge a side quest along, knock off some bandit bounties, stock up my book shelves and loot displays And all the while just loving the look, sound, feel of being in Skyrim. The game just makes me happy each night. [/gush]

My quest queue is actually getting longer as my game goes on; the quests are multiplying. You know what else is multiplying? Louis Lutrush.

Last time I posted about him, there were three of them. (Well, two and a half.)

IMG_6165.jpg

Now there are five. (Okay, four and a half.)

IMG_6178.jpg

I want to keep playing this game for many reasons, and one of them is to see how many Louis Lutrush's spawn outside of Whiterun.
I want you to keep us updated on this growing family. The poor heathens!

This is still the only Dragon Priest I've fought. And I really fucked up my entire approach here.
I scaled up here, got the word and randomly fought that hard as hell bastard, entered the nearby door and saw a Dragur Death Overlord by a throne...instantly killed him with stealth, went through the dungeon wondering why the hell that guy was at the start, hit a dead end and realized I was doing it in reverse.

SKYRIM
I need some armor like you as I have some things but nothing that will protect me against any elements.

Zeliard

Wallach you're on PC right? You should try the Dead Thrall level cap remover, and that goes for you other Conjuration guys. It's quite fun to mess with. I posted about it in the modding thread. I've only tried it on Giants and Mammoths so far but both can be necro'd with the mod; they can't enter towns/dungeons for obvious reasons, but will wreck havoc in combat in the open world.

They're something devilishly fun about having two zombie Mammoths by your side as you're going around taking out other Mammoth camps and their Giants.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It was coming, but it certainly didn't help. Regardless, they threw their hats in. =P

Oblivion was definitely one of the first catalysts and if anything, they set the trend because it sold as expected. People complain but casuals and even the same loud mouths still go in bare back :O

Fair post but it's ridiculous to say Oblivion helped start the DLC rage. It was coming, regardless of that and you know it.

Yeah, but it was such a terrible first item. Who knows, though, if the backlash against Horse Armor didn't actually improve later DLC?

p3tran

Banned
WTF...

Came to a giant camp to test my new gear.

Two giants plus THREE mammoths PLUS a dragon. It is MAYHEM lol. Thankfully, if I just hide behind my shield I take zero damage. Otherwise even with this crazy powered gear I take a beating.

giants and mammoths are in the endangered species list in my game.
whenever I find them, I destroy them.
wont forgive them all the chasing they gave my character when he was young and naive and on his first steps around skyrim.
so,
who's chasing who now giant biotch?

Wallach

Wallach you're on PC right? You should try the Dead Thrall level cap remover, and that goes for you other Conjuration guys. It's quite fun to mess with. I posted about it in the modding thread. I've only tried it on Giants and Mammoths so far but both can be necro'd with the mod; they can't enter towns/dungeons for obvious reasons, but will wreck havoc in combat in the open world.

They're something devilishly fun about having two zombie Mammoths by your side as you're going around taking out other Mammoth camps and their Giants.

I'm on PC yeah. What level cap is there on reanimation? I've encountered some stuff that requires Dead Thrall rather than Dread Zombie but I don't know if I've seen Dead Thrall fail on a humanoid corpse. Then again I don't really mess with zombies as much unless I'm doing something dumb to spite the dead guy postmortem.

Top Bottom