• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Mik2121

Yes, and yes. DLC is region based and I would highly suggest you buy all DLC in the US.

Dang, that kind of sucks. Oh well, I will make sure to usually buy my stuff on my region. But at least this time, hopefully the gaffer that helped me before (Wallach) will lend me a hand this time too :p

BTW, can DLC be gifted as well?

Also, is an account locked to a certain region even if living somewhere else? Because I can't really remember telling Steam I wanted to use the Japanese region (something I would definitely never do when it comes to PC gaming), though maybe they locked me to it when I first used my Japanese address? If not, would that mean using a VPN would let me access the US content?

webrunner

How would it?

JM8uR.jpg

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So, wait a second. Will a mace ever decapitate?
I've never had my sword decapitate, but I wouldn't expect that they would.
How would it?
I have the one handed decapitate perk and Maces, Axes and Swords decapitate.

I also saw a two handed sword decapitate somebody the other day on youtube. It was also a mod that allowed you to play as a little child, so I don't know if that's a factor or not.. :D

However, all one handed weapons can decapitate if you have the perk.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there a way to make arrows or buy them in a decent quantity?

Everytime I go to town I buy Orcish or Dwarven arrows, but the shops usually only sell like 15. In the dungeon, before I know it, I'm back to Iron Arrows, of which I have 200+.

There is a little trick to slowly collect the stronger arrows... give 1 to your companion(if he/she is using bows) and you can gather them from corpses. They will never lose that 1 arrow in their inventory, but they will launch an infinite number of them. It's slow yeah, but i have over 60 Ebony arrows now in my bags for later use while i keep using my hundreds of dwarven/orc ones.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Dang, that kind of sucks. Oh well, I will make sure to usually buy my stuff on my region. But at least this time, hopefully the gaffer that helped me before (Wallach) will lend me a hand this time too :p

BTW, can DLC be gifted as well?

Also, is an account locked to a certain region even if living somewhere else? Because I can't really remember telling Steam I wanted to use the Japanese region (something I would definitely never do when it comes to PC gaming), though maybe they locked me to it when I first used my Japanese address? If not, would that mean using a VPN would let me access the US content?

DLC can be gifted so you can paypal or do whatever to get it. Or be hooked up nicely

The gifting thing is subject to Steam changing the rules of course but that's just rhetoric.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Is it worth it to use the perks for blocking when I only use 2H weapons? I only just realized that I can block with my weapon, but obviously it's no where near as good as having a shield.

^^I'd like to know the answer to this question also, anyone?

Haunted

Time to work on your magic resist! :p
But I can't resist enchanting everything so it boosts one-handed weapon damage and smithing!

Is there a way to make arrows or buy them in a decent quantity?

Everytime I go to town I buy Orcish or Dwarven arrows, but the shops usually only sell like 15. In the dungeon, before I know it, I'm back to Iron Arrows, of which I have 200+.
There's an arrowsmith mod on Skyrim Nexus. Ingredient requirements are steep, but it's nice to have the option. :)

Bashing a head with a club or mace isn't really decapitation. Still would be nice and messy and make for a great finisher though. Maybe Bethesda elected to put head bash and decapitation under the same umbrella, but I'm not sure how it would be physically possible for a mace to decapitate someone.

Grisby

:/ Damn about 70 hours in and still getting this odd pausing/stuttering deal where the game can come full stop every couple of minute or so. It's the weirdest thing. I'm gonna try and get a video of it or something from my Iphone, Turned off autosave and my saves have hit 12mb (only keeping 2 atm). Thought the PS3 only had this issue.

Ezduo

Banned
Alright, I need some advice on what quests to do. I'm about 30 or 40 hours (if not more) into the game and I'm starting to get to a point where I have to will myself to keep playing. I've only visited three cities, done basically nothing but side quests, barely touched the main questline, and gotten my character into the upper 20's level wise. Thing is, the combat is starting to really bore me, all the dungeons are starting to feel the same (oh boy, more zombies), and I'm just not feeling like exploring anymore because I still have like 50 quests in my journal I still haven't done but I don't really feel like doing half of them. What should I do to reignite my interest in this game? Reroll as a magic user? Are there any questlines that are really unique and interesting? Already did the mage college quest. I just know that I've barely even scratched the surface of this game and 80% of the map is still unvisited by me but I'm having a hard time caring anymore.

Arjen

Alright, I need some advice on what quests to do. I'm about 30 or 40 hours (if not more) into the game and I'm starting to get to a point where I have to will myself to keep playing. I've only visited three cities, done basically nothing but side quests, barely touched the main questline, and gotten my character into the upper 20's level wise. Thing is, the combat is starting to really bore me, all the dungeons are starting to feel the same (oh boy, more zombies), and I'm just not feeling like exploring anymore because I still have like 50 quests in my journal I still haven't done but I don't really feel like doing half of them. What should I do to reignite my interest in this game? Reroll as a magic user? Are there any questlines that are really unique and interesting? Already did the mage college quest. I just know that I've barely even scratched the surface of this game and 80% of the map is still unvisited by me but I'm having a hard time caring anymore.

Do the Deadric quests, they're al pretty different and fun.

I also saw a two handed sword decapitate somebody the other day on youtube. It was also a mod that allowed you to play as a little child, so I don't know if that's a factor or not.. :D

My
summoned daedric prince of awesomeness
often leaves decapitated corpses around and he only has a 2h sword (ps3 version/ no mods)

Kurdel

Banned
I currently have 22 dragon souls.

Can I use them on other things or is it just for shouts?

I am currently grinding the Shout location, it is so long and boring.

So right now I'm debating if
I want to become a Werewolf
with the Companions. Is there a way back to normal?

For the record, for crazy overpowered weapons/armour, whilst Smithing level 100 and Enchanting level 100 is recommended (especially for the double enchantments per item perk that you get maxing Enchanting), imo Alchemy 100 isn't necessary.

I'm only level 46 or so Alchemy but I managed to buy numerous Enchantment Elixers from vendors (+25% Enchantment). Just save game in-front of an alchemist, buy the elixer if they have it, save game again, kill them, load last save and rinse repeat. Each time you kill them, when you re-load the save just before you killed them, for some reason all the vendors money and items refresh. An easy way to get all the items you want from vendors is to keep doing this till the one you want shows up.

Once you have the Enchantment Elixer, get to an Enchantment desk and take the potion (if you're super quick you can do it in a single potion, but two is recommended). You enchant the following (certain items can't have both so just do the one) with

Clothes - Fortify Smithing only (+28%)
Hat/helmet/circlet - Fortify Alchemy only (+28%)
Necklace - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)
Braces/Gloves/Gauntlets - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)
Ring - Fortify Smithing and Alchemy (+28%)

Wearing the above gives you +112% Smithing and +112% Alchemy.

You don't need the Alchemy enchantments for the build, but I say do them just so you can easily level up Alchemy using the above gear at a later time. It's basically the ultimate outfit for any time you want to do Smithing or Potion making.

Wearing the above, take a Blacksmiths Elixer (an additional +50%) and when upgrading your armour/weapons (doesn't make a difference to initially forging them) and you'll have ridiculously powerful vanilla gear.

Then whilst still wearing your Enchanters outfit, take another Enchantment Elixer before Enchanting your new smithed weapons and armour for the (near) ultimate set up.

Only way to make better equipment is a longer winded set up that also requires level 100 Alchemy for a negligible difference in armour/weapon potency.

So to make sure I understand, you dont need to get the actual perks for the skills, just being the level(100) is enough for get your % to go higher?

webrunner

Hey, has anyone seen an NPC at one of the mines that boasts about their pickaxe and how fast they can mine? Trying to remember that NPC's name.

scy

There's a 2H Perk for decapitations much like the 1H version.

On that note, in countless hours of playing I never saw a decapitation period. Ever. Now that I've gotten the perk, I've had enemies decapitate me. :/

So right now I'm debating if
I want to become a Werewolf
with the Companions. Is there a way back to normal?

Yes.

So to make sure I understand, you dont need to get the actual perks for the skills, just being the level(100) is enough for get your % to go higher?

You'll need the perk but the percentages do increase without the perks. You'll just want both.

Woorloog

Banned
Did Peryite's quests earlier today. I love dwemer ruins, very cool, very mysterious. I do, surprising myself, miss Morrowind-style dwemer ruins though. Never expected that.
Spellbreaker is awesome. Blocks Shouts too (some Draugr use them, Ward spells block them too), really awesome.
Currently looking for Dawnbreaker... the Game Guide states recommended level for the dungeon where it is is 24. I'm 22 and nothing can stand against me at the moment... i wonder about the recommendation. Unless the boss is really hard? Oh, well, i'll see soon.

Oh and i have almost 30k gold... I probably should do some quests in Solitude and buy the manor.

cbox

I'm 40 hours in and still enjoying the hell out of it, by comparison I only played around 20 in oblivion doing only the side quests.

One of the companions and I went to
the silver hand bandit camp and completely DESTROYED them, I'm talking decapitations at every corner. No contest what so ever.

Orlandu84

I just finished the main quest line (no spoilers in this), and I have to say that I am satisfied with it. When I compare the ending with Oblivion's ending, I find myself actually very happy with it! I don't know whether this means that Oblivion's quest/storyline was simply terrible or whether Skyrim's is actually decent. Either way, Bethesda is improving - at least, marginally;)

webrunner

Have you? I'm curious as mining is stupidly slow. Just let me loot it like anything else damnit.

I saw one yes, wouldn't shut up about it. He has aname for his pickaxe too. No clue about whether he's just blowing smoke though.

But if you want to mine faster.. dual-wield pickaxes and attack the mine instead of using the use button.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Did Peryite's quests earlier today. I love dwemer ruins, very cool, very mysterious. I do, surprising myself, miss Morrowind-style dwemer ruins though. Never expected that.
Spellbreaker is awesome. Blocks Shouts too (some Draugr use them, Ward spells block them too), really awesome.
Currently looking for Dawnbreaker... the Game Guide states recommended level for the dungeon where it is is 24. I'm 22 and nothing can stand against me at the moment... i wonder about the recommendation. Unless the boss is really hard? Oh, well, i'll see soon.

Oh and i have almost 30k gold... I probably should do some quests in Solitude and buy the manor.

Dawnbreaker is awesome, it hasn't left my right hand in 80 hours. The quest to get it is one of my favorites so far too. It was the first Daedric quest that I did and I think I was below level 20, so it's not that hard.

Woorloog

Banned
Dawnbreaker is awesome, it hasn't left my right hand in 80 hours. The quest to get it is one of my favorites so far too. It was the first Daedric quest that I did and I think I was below level 20, so it's not that hard.

Hmm, strange. Then the recommendation is probably set high for high level loot...
Oh well. Too bad the game doesn't have Light Armor artifact helmets, boots or gloves nor artifact bows :/

I've only ever had as much as 6k gold on me at one time. How are y'all getting so much money?

Loot only truly valuable items (don't waste carrying capacity for worthless trash) and ALL THE MONEY, including singular coins; don't buy stuff, including houses. And be lucky.

But if you want to mine faster.. dual-wield pickaxes and attack the mine instead of using the use button.

WTF? That's news to me as well.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I saw one yes, wouldn't shut up about it. He has aname for his pickaxe too. No clue about whether he's just blowing smoke though.

Damn, news to me. Thanks.

I've only ever had as much as 6k gold on me at one time. How are y'all getting so much money?

Selling potions seems to work well for me. I have a mediocre alchemy skill, but I can still craft potions that can add up in value. Just grab any ingredients you find on quests, eat one of each to see what effects it has and then when you get to alchemy stand, make the potions you can and sell what you don't want. Works pretty well and is only getting more profitable as the game progresses.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Lvl 40+ here. I bought 3 houses so far(including the one in Solitude worth 20k+) with all their decorations and i have a grand total of 124k gold. I dont even know what to use all that gold for anymore except for the few rare times that a good weapon and armor is available or have an enchant that i will disenchant.

What do i do? Loot everything, every damn urns and corpses, unless it has a shitty balance of weight and value, like a mace that weight 18 and a value of 150? Totally not worth it. But a weight of 30 and 600 value? Now we're talking.

I'm level 30, (48 hours in) and picky as can be when it comes to what I pick up. I'll admit to be picking up any and every minor potion and ingredient that comes my way, though. I've spent most of my time looting houses , exploring the map, and trying to up certain skills. I snag any pricey, lightweight item I can hoard and my follower is pretty much a pack mule. I do, however, spend money on skills often.

I visited the Greybeards only at hour 47 and probably haven't done as many quests as most have at that level. Well, I've done alot more quests than dungeons, anyways. I didn't even meet a dragon until about 25 hours in. I avoided the main storyline pretty much on purpose not knowing the consequences.

nib95

Banned

With the set up I've outlined above. You'd need perks for whatever armour you plan to upgrade in Smithing and for Enchanting, recommended perks are Enchanter, Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter and Extra Effect. If you plan to use fire, frost or shock, I also recommend the relevant perk. However, you don't need any perks for alchemy with what I've outlined. The Blacksmith and Enchanters Elixers are all you need.

Bear in mind. With weapons and armor, stats will go up as your Heavy/Light Armor + One/Two handed skill goes up. Or you unlock perks with them too. For example, if I unlock the perk with Heavy Armor that gives me an extra 25% for wearing a matching set, My Daedric Armour rating goes from 3XX to something like 460. Don't worry about maxing Heavy Armour or One Handed etc first (before making your ultimate weapons), since your stats change on the fly as the skill level goes up.

bengraven

I really want my thief to stop duel wielding maces, but the old school RPGer in me says "if a weapon has higher damage it's a better weapon".

I would love to get a sword at some point.

scy

Speaking of those perks, do note that there IS a defense cap so getting all the +Armor bonuses isn't really recommended unless you want a leg up early on in the game (or to use some really, really lower level armor, though even that may be pushing it a bit).

Also, Weapon and Armor scale up with Skill Level by +.4% (i.e., a Skill of 20 means you have 108% of the base and a skill of 100 means you have 140% the base) so that is something to keep in mind as well. This applies to Bound Weapons as well and if you get Mystic Binding early enough, they'll be quite nice until your Smithing is high enough. To example it, Bound Sword becomes around Daedric quality and Bound Bow is actually the best base damage Bow in the game as far as I know.

Random thing of note, the Destruction Element perks seem to work on the weapon Enchants so getting the Frost one there grants you Paralysis on Frost weapons; saves an Enchantment, if nothing else I suppose. Neat little bonus for Spellsword builds.

I really want my thief to stop duel wielding maces, but the old school RPGer in me says "if a weapon has higher damage it's a better weapon".

I would love to get a sword at some point.

Well, Swords swing faster so there's that. But Maces always beat out both Axes and Swords (and Axes always beat out Swords) if you're talking about the same material. Should be a gap of 1 damage from Sword -> Axe and another 1 damage from Axe -> Mace.

nib95

Banned
giants and mammoths are in the endangered species list in my game.
whenever I find them, I destroy them.
wont forgive them all the chasing they gave my character when he was young and naive and on his first steps around skyrim.
so,
who's chasing who now giant biotch?

Lol never thought of it that way. But it is funny how much I feared them early on, and now I do whatever I can to mass murder them just for their souls lol.

Speaking of those perks, do note that there IS a defense cap so getting all the +Armor bonuses isn't really recommended unless you want a leg up early on in the game (or to use some really, really lower level armor, though even that may be pushing it a bit).

Also, Weapon and Armor scale up with Skill Level by +.4% (i.e., a Skill of 20 means you have 108% of the base and a skill of 100 means you have 140% the base) so that is something to keep in mind as well. This applies to Bound Weapons as well and if you get Mystic Binding early enough, they'll be quite nice until your Smithing is high enough. To example it, Bound Sword becomes around Daedric quality and Bound Bow is actually the best base damage Bow in the game as far as I know.

Random thing of note, the Destruction Element perks seem to work on the weapon Enchants so getting the Frost one there grants you Paralysis on Frost weapons; saves an Enchantment, if nothing else I suppose. Neat little bonus for Spellsword builds.

Two things, do you know what the max armour limit is, and second, what does a bound weapon actually do? What is binding?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm level 30, (48 hours in) and picky as can be when it comes to what I pick up. I'll admit to be picking up any and every minor potion and ingredient that comes my way, though. I've spent most of my time looting houses , exploring the map, and trying to up certain skills. I snag any pricey, lightweight item I can hoard and my follower is pretty much a pack mule. I do, however, spend money on skills often.

I visited the Greybeards only at hour 47 and probably haven't done as many quests as most have at that level. Well, I've done alot more quests than dungeons, anyways. I didn't even meet a dragon until about 25 hours in. I avoided the main storyline pretty much on purpose not knowing the consequences.

Unlike Oblivion, I think you're doing a disservice by ignoring the main quest entirely. Visiting the greybeards initially is where everyone should get up to before exploring the world, especially because it enhances exploration.

Plus, who doesn't like getting ambushed by dragons while on a morning constitutional?

Wallach

Two things, do you know what the max armour limit is, and second, what does a bound weapon actually do? What is binding?

Max effective armor is 567. Bound weapons are Conjuration spells that instantly summon magical Daedric versions of that weapon for a limited duration.

GhaleonEB

This made me laugh hard. I love how the half-Lutrush is looking up at his full size clones. Do they interact with each other? Like bump into each other and talk and stuff?

Yup, the roam around that small area, and you can talk to them. If I walk by I get a chorus of greetings. :lol

bengraven

Well, Swords swing faster so there's that. But Maces always beat out both Axes and Swords (and Axes always beat out Swords) if you're talking about the same material. Should be a gap of 1 damage from Sword -> Axe and another 1 damage from Axe -> Mace.

Yep, this game needs a DPS score for stats whores.

nib95

Banned
Max effective armor is 567. Bound weapons are Conjuration spells that instantly summon magical Daedric versions of that weapon for a limited duration.

I see. Cool.

Well, I must have already hit my max armour level then. Assuming you mean 567 total (all items included). Glad you told me that, saves me perking up Matched Set on Heavy Armour and concentrating on other stuff. Figure I'll focus on attack related gameplay ones such as the one where you can do a sprinting power attack, your're faster holding a shield etc. I really want the one where Heavy Armour weighs nothing, but the two perks before it imo are unnecessary.

scy

567 displayed Armor Rating (technically, 667 but you have a hidden 40 Armor just for having a Chest equipped and 20 for each other slot so that accounts for 100 AR).

As for Bound Weapons, they're just summoned weapons with a set base damage. Mystic Binding modifies them from there. Off-hand, it's 8 Base Damage on Bound Sword (Steel Quality) to 14 Base Damage with Mystic Binding perk (Daedric Quality). Bound Battleaxe is 15 Base Damage (in-between Iron/Steel Quality) and then 22 Base Damage with the perk (Glass Quality). Bound Bow is 18 Base Damage (Daedric Quality) and then 24 Base Damage with the perk (best Bow).

Of course, you can't smith them so there's a limit to how good they really are.

Top Bottom