• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Unlike Oblivion, I think you're doing a disservice by ignoring the main quest entirely. Visiting the greybeards initially is where everyone should get up to before exploring the world, especially because it enhances exploration.

Plus, who doesn't like getting ambushed by dragons while on a morning constitutional?

I've learned that since visiting this thread and talking to other gamers. Old habits die hard when you've got around 400 hours of experience across two games doing things one way.

How to get Fortify Stamina enchant ffs, been running around searching everywhere.

Also, does Resist Magic apply to all Fire+Frost+Shock, or is it something else?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there better weapons than daedric and better armor than dragonplate?

I'm wondering if im going to look the same until im done with the game now. I may be lvl 43, but i still have a lot of the world unexplored, especially west and southwest.

Ri'Orius

It looks like my Frost Atronarch is no longer resisting my Frost spells? Nor is my Flame Atronarch resisting my Fire spells... was this changed in the patch?

Seems pretty lame. I mean, I really loved throwing Ice Storms from behind my big icy tank.

ckohler

Unlike Oblivion, I think you're doing a disservice by ignoring the main quest entirely. Visiting the greybeards initially is where everyone should get up to before exploring the world, especially because it enhances exploration.
I don't want end spoilers but at least tell me this... if I beat the main quest will that stop dragons appearing?

This is why I'm putting off beating the game. In Oblivion, beating the game meant never being able to go back into the Oblivion plane. That sucked because there was a lot of useful stuff in there. I'm afraid if I beat Skyrim's main quest early I loose out on harvesting more dragon souls.

scy

Wait, armor doesn't matter past 567? What the hell, really?

567 displayed AR gets you 80% Damage Mitigation. At maxed Smithing (only), that's limited to just the Heavy Armors I believe. The Smithing/Enchanting/Alchemy trio is more for making any Armor you want tor each the cap rather than blowing past it into obscene territory.

Also, the Lord Stone doesn't stack on top of this; it counts towards that 80% cap so that lowers the Armor Rating you need a little.

Dragonplate is worse than Daedric so there's that. Though, Dragonplate is lighter.

Also, if you work on the crafting trio of skills, you can just make whatever Armor you like the look of best and go for wearing that without suffering any (effective) Armor loss.

I'm wondering if im going to look the same until im done with the game now. I may be lvl 43, but i still have a lot of the world unexplored, especially west and southwest.

In a single player RPG like this is all looks>stats. Especially since enchanting makes any gear pretty powerful. I say wear what you like IMO and enchant as needed. I know I'll be wearing Daedric over Dragon for looks alone.

abundant

I don't want end spoilers but at least tell me this... if I beat the main quest will that stop dragons appearing?

This is why I'm putting off beating the game. In Oblivion, beating the game meant never being able to go back into the Oblivion plane. That sucked because there was a lot of useful stuff in there. I'm afraid if I beat Skyrim's main quest early I loose out on harvesting more dragon souls.

No, Dragons still spawn after you beat the main quest.

You'd need to seriously abuse the game mechanics to even get that far, I think.
No you don't. Just get Smithing to 100, craft a full set of daedric armor. Get some very basic smithing enchantments and you'll reach the armor limit. I did it in my game.

STG

Yay me. Just got Skyrim (PS3) for 38.97€ at Amazon Cyber Monday. I just hope that I can live with the german voice acting.

The voice acting in the German version is surprisingly good, also it kinda fits with the nordic setting

can't complain at all

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Dragonplate is worse than Daedric so there's that. Though, Dragonplate is lighter.

Also, if you work on the crafting trio of skills, you can just make whatever Armor you like the look of best and go for wearing that without suffering any (effective) Armor loss.

Oh? I just assumed that since dragon armor needed more smithing skill, it was better.

Guess i did right in buying all those daedra hearts when i went to an alchemist npc.

Davedough

Ok, gitch 2.0 for a new few pages to see if anyone else knows anything.

To recap, [Companion quest line spoilers]
At the funeral, Eurlund, or whatever the Skyforge smith's name is, isn't there. Aela lights Kodlak's grave and says we should meet in the underforge. At this point, Skyforge dude is supposed to suggest I get the fragment from Kodlak's room and proceed with the rest of the quest
. That never happens because Skyforge dude is no longer there.

No dragons attacked Whiterun, I'm a good karma player so I've killed no one that didn't deserve it. Nothing except scripted events have happened. I've waited, reloaded, slept, and have searched every single house/room/hovel in Whiterun and do not see Skyforge blacksmith dude anywhere in there to advance the quest. All the NPCs associated with that part of the quest just stand there indefinitely and when you try to talk to them it goes 'This person is busy'

So, I can't buy a house, I cant advance quests that involve the Jarl... basically anything Whiterun related is now stuck. Anyone have any ideas?

scy

You don't even need 100 Smithing to get most the Heavy Armors to 567, actually; Light Armor, without equipped +Smithing bonuses, will never reach 567 on their own (though, Dragonscale is ever-so-close).

If you equip four slots of moderately Enchanted +Smithing (i.e., 15%), you'll be able to make any Armor that has a Smithing perk to 567 Armor Rating. You need to get the really good Enchanted equipment and a Potion to get Iron, Fur, Leather, etc. to 567 but it's still overkill after a certain point.

It looks like my Frost Atronarch is no longer resisting my Frost spells? Nor is my Flame Atronarch resisting my Fire spells... was this changed in the patch?

Seems pretty lame. I mean, I really loved throwing Ice Storms from behind my big icy tank.
I noticed this yesterday after installing the patch. For a second I thought I just didn't notice that same element spells hurt them previously, but when my fireball took half the life from my Fire Atronarch, I knew something was wrong, that definitely never happened before the patch. Pretty frustrating for a conjurer/destruction mage...

Derrick01

Banned
Wow I knew it would be a good idea to recruit Mercurio but man he's kind of overpowered. I end up tanking while he takes 20% off of people with each lightning bolt.

He gets lost pretty easily though. We were traveling through Goldenglow estate and I ended up attracting 4 guards since I'm not sneaking and I'm in all heavy armor and I turn around since I'm not seeing lightning bolts and he's....gone. He was behind me when we entered the building but he just vanished in some room I guess.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Nope. Since killing dragons is integral to unlocking shouts, they never disappear. Plus, you get some unique shouts through the main quest.y ingot per piece)

Oh? I just assumed that since dragon armor needed more smithing skill, it was better.

Guess i did right in buying all those daedra hearts when i went to an alchemist npc.

Dragon is solid if you don't have the daedra hearts, and dragon bones are easy to find, but yeah, once you have the hearts, make daedra armor asap. You only need 4 hearts for a full set, including upgrading (upgrading to legendary only needs one ebon

Kyoufu

If you enjoy fighting dragons then it is in your best interests to finish the main quest. You'll know why when you do.

Reuenthal

Banned
I found a blacksmith potion somewhere, and I spend much time trying to level up (not by creating daggers only, I might have created 7 at most) and create a full glass armor set while also upgrading all equipment I had (DB, Thieves guild, elven set I had, weapons, everything) and also upgrade by bow to legendary. While creating a legendary glass armor. I already had quite a lot materials. Having already a set of apparel that increases smithing improvement. I created a monster of a character. Killed an elder dragon in a couple of hits. I found the reward of my efforts to be, well, rewarding. Armor rating 430 I think level 38

You don't even need 100 Smithing to get most the Heavy Armors to 567, actually; Light Armor, without equipped +Smithing bonuses, will never reach 567 on their own (though, Dragonscale is ever-so-close).

If you equip four slots of moderately Enchanted +Smithing (i.e., 15%), you'll be able to make any Armor that has a Smithing perk to 567 Armor Rating. You need to get the really good Enchanted equipment and a Potion to get Iron, Fur, Leather, etc. to 567 but it's still overkill after a certain point.

Well damn. I'll need to pay attention and see if I reach it on my character.

Having problem with the following quest: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/In_My_Time_of_Need
Finding the Redguard woman in Whiterun quest.

I finally found her and she asked me to
find this person that is trying to assassinate her and kill him. I did that, but the problem is when I was there I had a flame atronoch with me and the assassin Khematu and all his guards started attacking the flame atronoch, and when it died it exploded and killed them all. The quest is stuck and it says "Talk to or kill Khematu" and when the quest is active it just points to the dead body of Khematu. I can't find the woman in the bar anymore and the quest is not really telling me to go find her.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it even a problem? Am I just doing something wrong?

Phreaker

Yesterday i spent my entire gaming session getting Gaulders amulet.
Unbelievable that such a long quest is just a sidequest you get from reading a book.
Totally worth it though.

Is that where it came from? I had this amulet in my inventory that I could not sell, but didn't remember where I got it. It said it was a quest item. I did the quest in my last gaming session too. I could not believe how long it took. It was what like 4 dungeons? It was a cool quest and quite challenging though.

Without smithing at 100 and only using enchanted smithing pieces I've bought, my armor is around 750. And I'm only wearing steel plate.

That sucks it caps out. I wonder if I can keep it at cap without wearing a helmet so I'll look super bad-ass in killing blow animations.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Without alchemy or enchanting, but only two smithing items and some potions I found, I have a set of legendary steel heavy armor that is rated 741 and with my shield it is 843. Granted, I have all the heavy armor perks, so those boost it, but I think even with no perks, I'd be over 567. So yeah, you can pretty much wear whatever armor you want if you level smithing to 100. You can just find stuff to help you top over the armor cap. The only benefit I can see for enchanting would be to increase magical resistances when
my Spellbreaker shield can't catch it all.
Arch Mages can fuck me up, and they are about the only thing.

thefil

Is that where it came from? I had this amulet in my inventory that I could not sell. It said it was a quest item. I did the quest in my last gaming session to. I could not believe how long it took, what like 4 dungeons? It was a cool quest and quite challenging.

I have no idea where to
reforge
that shit, I've been carrying all three forever.

Astra

It's amazing what two Dremora Lords can do. They seriously fuck everyone up. I just sat and watched as they killed three giants!

There is a perk that lets you summon two, right?
Right now I conjure one, and my companion has a staff that conjures the other. If I had that perk, we'd have three Dremora Lords running around!

Edit: Ah, seems the perk Twin Souls only allows for two Atronachs, or reanimated corpses and not Dremora. :(
Probably for the best. One alone is badass enough. Two just obliterate everything.

Without smithing at 100 and only using enchanted smithing pieces I've bought, my armor is around 750. And I'm only wearing steel plate.

That is simply impossible unless you have perks in Heavy Armor/Light Armor.

With Smithing 100, even after upgrading to legendary with 4x23%=+92% improved smithing gear Daedric Armor will push you to ~305AR. That is where I'm at atm.

So yeah, you can reach 700 easily IF you invest in perks for relevant armor type.

Edit: Ah, seems the perk Twin Souls only allows for two Atronachs, or reanimated corpses and not Dremora. :(
Probably for the best. One alone is badass enough. Two just obliterate everything.

Twin Souls perks also effect Dremora Lords. Enjoy :D

Enco

Having problem with the following quest: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/In_My_Time_of_Need
Finding the Redguard woman in Whiterun quest.

I finally found her and she asked me to
find this person that is trying to assassinate her and kill him. I did that, but the problem is when I was there I had a flame atronoch with me and the assassin Khematu and all his guards started attacking the flame atronoch, and when it died it exploded and killed them all. The quest is stuck and it says "Talk to or kill Khematu" and when the quest is active it just points to the dead body of Khematu. I can't find the woman in the bar anymore and the quest is not really telling me to go find her.

Anyone else had this problem? Is it even a problem? Am I just doing something wrong?
That's odd. If you're on PC, you can try the resurrection console command.

Kuno

It's amazing what two Dremora Lords can do. They seriously fuck everyone up. I just sat and watched as they killed three giants!

There is a perk that lets you summon two, right?
Right now I conjure one, and my companion has a staff that conjures the other. If I had that perk, we'd have three Dremora Lords running around!

I have 100 Conjuration with that lvl 100 perk, and I can confirm that you can have two summoned Demora Lords out at once. They roll over everything! I gotta get that perk that makes them cost less magicka though...

Edit: beaten

scy

Well damn. I'll need to pay attention and see if I reach it on my character.

I should really clarify this though: That's with the Armor perks. Or, rather, maxing out the first Light Armor/Heavy Armor perk for double Armor effectiveness.

Basically, you need 225 Armor with the Custom Fit/Well-Fitted and Matching Set bonuses in play at 100 Armor Skill (* 1.4, * 1.5 multipliers gets it to 567). So you need 225, 193, 169, 150, or 135 Armor Rating from your equipment depending on if you have 1/5 through 5/5 in Agile Defender/Juggernaut; 270 is what you'd need at 0 but I'm assuming the other two Perks that require that first point anyway.

This 135-225 value is derived from Base Armor value (i.e., just what it would yield at 0 Armor Skill) and then effectively + (Smithing/2) to factor the upgrading of them.

For instance, full Daedric is 108 so 100 Smithing makes it 158 or you need 3/5 on the skill. If you go for the full Enchanting + Alchemy setup, you don't actually need any Perks (should sit around 280 Armor Rating).

With Smithing 100, even after upgrading to legendary with 4x23%=+92% improved smithing gear Daedric Armor will push you to ~305AR. That is where I'm at atm.

So yeah, you can reach 700 easily IF you invest in perks for relevant armor type.

Just as proof of concept, do you have any Heavy Armor perks? 108 is the Daedric set + 96 from your Smithing skill gives you 204 AR. 1/5 Juggernaut and around a 50 Heavy Armor Skill should get you to 305-ish.

Just curious since if it's wrong, I've got a lot of mechanic research to go back and look into :(

Morokh

Did anyone find out who the mysterious person
sending you the dragon words locations
is ?

Just got the Conjuration perma-resurrect-body-spell yesterday, today will be a lot of fun :D

Astra

Twin Souls perks also effect Dremora Lords. Enjoy :D

I have 100 Conjuration with that lvl 100 perk, and I can confirm that you can have two summoned Demora Lords out at once. They roll over everything! I gotta get that perk that makes them cost less magicka though...

Edit: beaten

This news pleases me. :D
I love watching them go to town.

You could just enchant a ring and/or necklace with fortify conjuration and cut the cost down. I have max enchant and alchemy, and using the two together for max effect, one piece of equipment will reduce the cost by 29%. I wish I did that from the beginning, rather than waste perks to reduce magicka cost.

Does anyone know how to begin the
Shrine of Azura quest?

I believe I started this quest by talking to the inn keeper at the Bee and Barb in Whiterun, and asked about rumors. She mentioned a shrine being built, and it's then marked on your map. Either way, you just need to go there, and it's
very close to Winterhold. Just South-east. You can't miss it, it's huge

Just got the Conjuration perma-resurrect-body-spell yesterday, today will be a lot of fun :D

I became rather attached to my Storm Atronach. I was sad when it was killed :(

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
So I finally decided to start this bad boy up on my new machine.

It's so glorious! I'm playing with a 360 controller.

SO GOOD

Loam

Hold on wait a sec, if I'm reading these descriptions correctly wouldn't it be possible to make insanely broken items be creating a fortify enchanting potion, drinking it, enchanting an item with fortify alchemy, then repeating this process X number of times until your skills are elevated through the roof? I would imagine there would be a hard cap on skills or a mechanic preventing this right?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Hmm.

Thieves Guild side job question:

I have to steal Kareeva's Diamond for a fishing job, but despite pretty good PPing skill it's got a 0% success rate. I tried waiting an hour at a time to see if she sleeps but the bitch doesn't budge from that bar.

That's odd. If you're on PC, you can try the resurrection console command.

Bah, I'm on the PS3. I wish there was a reset quest button or something. The only explanation is that I didn't kill the person myself, but my flame atronoch dying killed him which has caused the quest to crash.

Anyway at least it is not a major quest.

Astra

vaelic, the largest home (I think) is purchased in Solitude for 25,000 gold. Other than that, you can purchase a home in every major hold.

Edit: You speak to Falk Firebeard and the Jarl. You get some quests, and earn some respect. You then have the option of buying a home.

Top Bottom