• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Alchemy

Don't know what that is, but I'll be on the lookout.
I don't have anything that charges soul gems yet. When I saw one to buy it was expensive and I want to try before I buy... Not sure if it's just going to make things even messier when I get one.
That might be part of the problem I suppose. Don't know WHEN I'll be able to afford a house. I was at 4,500 at some point and spent most of it on potions and "getting my gear back in order"

I guess this is all telling me I need to get better at enchanting shit

Alchemy is the way to make money. I'm sitting on 45k in gold, and I need to go do the stuff so I can buy more freaking houses. I also have a cupboard in my house in Whiterun filled to the brim with potions that sell for 800+ each. I literally can't sell it all because merchants run out of damn money.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
No, I think Obsidian should handle Fallout 4 on the Skyrim engine.

Think about it: Obsidian has a lot of fallout guys. They just hired Tim Cain. New Vegas, setting and character wise, was LEAPS ahead of Fallout 3.

I know it won't happen, but since Bethesda has been wanting to be a bigger publisher and Skyrim seems to have been a pretty big hit, it would be sorta' neat if they just bought or absorbed Obsidian. I think their strengths clearly compliment each other...
but it won't happen and I don't know how money works.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Alchemy is the way to make money. I'm sitting on 45k in gold, and I need to go do the stuff so I can buy more freaking houses. I also have a cupboard in my house in Whiterun filled to the brim with potions that sell for 800+ each. I literally can't sell it all because merchants run out of damn money.

You know, of all the different "crafts" in the game. I enjoy alchemy the most and it's not completely out of line for a Elf Ranger from my goofy RP side of things :)
I might focus on it a bit more.

You know, of all the different "crafts" in the game. I enjoy alchemy the most and it's not completely out of line for a Elf Ranger from my goofy RP side of things :)
I might focus on it a bit more.

The fact that you have to go to a store, house, etc for alchemy ruined it a bit for me. I understand they prolly just wanted to remove the requirement to carry the equipment around but the option to would be nice

lupin23rd

After some point in game soul gems start dropping in dozens. Check Dwemer ruins, every Dwemer enemy has a high chance to drop empty or filled soul gem.

I used Azura's Star to recharge majority of my swords.

Where do you get Azura's Star? Wouldn't mind recharging some of my gear.

Sounds like the lag is the reason it got 7/10 and they played it post-patch. Can anyone verify that the lag is still bad?

No, it got a 7/10 because of OTHER people's lag. Reviewer admitted that his experience had been great and he hadn't had any slowdown in his playthrough.

scy

Can't you hit the cap if you wear heavy armor with a shield and ebonyflesh though? I can't look at the numbers right now but I was under the impression that full heavy armor + shield gets you within 100 points of the cap. That would require no perks.

Full Daedric is 108 Armor without the Shield; with the shield it should be 144. With 100 Smithing and 100 Armor, that should be around 285 Armor and then Ebony Flesh gets you a bit over that point. Full Ebony will ALMOST get you there under the same setup; 96 Armor without the Shield, 128 with it. Should put you at around 563 Armor.

...but, you still need Alteration perks to get Ebony Flesh to 300 Armor Rating. And that only applies without Armor anyway, making the above not really applicable.

erragal

The fact that you have to go to a store, house, etc for alchemy ruined it a bit for me. I understand they prolly just wanted to remove the requirement to carry the equipment around but the option to would be nice

I know it's not quite the same but there are alchemy tables in a huge number of dungeons to the point that you might as well be able to do it anywhere.

Alchemy

If you really want to get the most out of your crafts you kinda have to do this with all of them. It is definitely the hardest craft to level up. I capped enchanting and smithing super early in the game and had alchemy at like 50.

I think the easiest thing to do is get your +alchemy enchanted gear (helps with skill ups and makes potions more expensive), and just fast travel around to all the alchemy shops and buy out their ingredients. Then craft potions using 3 ingredients (think they increase skill ups), and when you're done dump as many potions back to the vendors to recoup your costs and eventually make money.

For some reason people seem offended that my alchemy crafting gear was just a hat, gloves, necklace and ring. Guess they couldn't handle sexy potion time.

Zeliard

Remember Fallout 3? Big success for Bethesda and then they let Obsidian have a shot at it.

Yeah, I am thinking Obsidian should get a crack at a Elder Scrolls Skyrim spin-off.

Chris Avellone, J.E. Sawyer and the rest of the guys at Obsidian have a habit of taking a series from a developer and improving on it in myriad ways, and substantially so. I'd love to see what they could do with an Elder Scrolls game.

We could probably expect sensible types and levels of scaling, more balanced and rewarding crafting elements, and the gifts that come with Obsidian's characteristic strong writing: memorable storyline and characters, interesting quests, great dialogue, and meaningful choice & consequence.

I say let them at it; with Fallout we'd almost certainly have to wait until Bethesda makes the 4th one first anyway. It's probably wishful thinking regardless but I expect we'd get something wonderful with an Obsidian Elder Scrolls.

And as excellent as New Vegas was, they were also held back not only with the engine but F3's inherently woeful combat system. Skyrim shares plenty in common technically but is still a lot more refined in some areas, and makes a better base for Obsidian to work from and improve upon.

erragal

Full Daedric is 108 Armor without the Shield; with the shield it should be 144. With 100 Smithing and 100 Armor, that should be around 285 Armor and then Ebony Flesh gets you a bit over that point. Full Ebony will ALMOST get you there under the same setup; 96 Armor without the Shield, 128 with it. Should put you at around 563 Armor.

...but, you still need Alteration perks to get Ebony Flesh to 300 Armor Rating. And that only applies without Armor anyway, making the above not really applicable.

That's assuming no smithing potions at all? 50% ones are easily attainable and even 60-70% ones are feasible without alchemy perks. Seems even more plausible with a set of smithing gear and a 130% smithing potion. There's no doubt I could go home and make a set of max armor without a single heavy armor perk; whether you can do it without ANY perks might be a bit more challenging and require collecting the right crafting drops.

lucius

So I got that big dog Vigilance that barks all the time he died, so are there any other cooler dogs like Dogmeat in the game?

Lydia is pretty cool I already have her though.

Dresden

Man, this is bullshit.

So I wanted to destroy the dark brotherhood, but
also wanted the Shrouded Gloves. So I didn't kill Astrid in the shack but waited until I was initiated into the Brohood to get my gloves, only to find that everyone in that freaking hideout is immortal now.

CyReN

om14J.jpg

Sometimes it feels like it..

Alchemy

Where can I find Enchantment trainers? The guy in the Mages College is not applicable anymore.

What is your enchanting at? At some point trainers stop working when your skill is high enough. I suspect its to prevent people from easily capping skills.

Man, this is bullshit.

So I wanted to destroy the dark brotherhood, but
also wanted the Shrouded Gloves. So I didn't kill Astrid in the shack but waited until I was initiated into the Brohood to get my gloves, only to find that everyone in that freaking hideout is immortal now.

Yep, sadly this is the case. Quest givers are immortal in the game.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Lvling enchanting is easy enough by itself anyway. Just disenchant what you dont need and use all those petty/lesser/common soul gems to enchant useless gear.

I'm already in the 80+ enchanting skills without paying a visit to a trainer once.

Alchemy on the other hand isnt quite as fast...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's too bad that the 'second main quest', which is the war between the Stormcloaks and the Empire, was so poorly done. Not only are the quests repetitive, but the scale of the battles are just laughably small. Having multiple small waves of enemies just kills any sense of an epic battle. I'm sure it was done to work around the console memory limitations, but the end result is just really poor and they should have completely rethought how they approached that quest line.

AEREC

Chris Avellone, J.E. Sawyer and the rest of the guys at Obsidian have a habit of taking a series from a developer and improving on it in myriad ways, and substantially so. I'd love to see what they could do with an Elder Scrolls game.

We could probably expect sensible types and levels of scaling, more balanced and rewarding crafting elements, and the gifts that come with Obsidian's characteristic strong writing: memorable storyline and characters, interesting quests, great dialogue, and meaningful choice & consequence.

I say let them at it; with Fallout we'd almost certainly have to wait until Bethesda makes the 4th one first anyway. It's probably wishful thinking regardless but I expect we'd get something wonderful with an Obsidian Elder Scrolls.

And as excellent as New Vegas was, they were also held back not only with the engine but F3's inherently woeful combat system. Skyrim shares plenty in common technically but is still a lot more refined in some areas, and makes a better base for Obsidian to work from and improve upon.

Obsidian would somehow find a way to make it look shitty and run worse.

Ill agree that they make some of the more interesting games, but optimization is not their strong-suit.

Alchemy

It's too bad that the 'second main quest', which is the war between the Stormcloaks and the Empire, was so poorly done. Not only are the quests repetitive, but the scale of the battles are just laughably small. Having multiple small waves of enemies just kills any sense of an epic battle. I'm sure it was done to work around the console memory limitations, but the end result is just really poor and they should have completely rethought how they approached that quest line.

I never cared enough to even start this section of the game until in the main quest line where
you have the peace treaty meeting with the grey beards. Ulfric was acting like such a dick I decided I had to support the Empire.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Speaking of that, im up to the quest where i have to
warn the Jarl of Whiterun that the Stormcloaks are planning to attack them
. Im not sure if i want to go do that yet...
is Whiterun going to be burned/destroyed
later in the questline?

om14J.jpg

Sometimes it feels like it..

I would watch it. I envision it being like that episode of SVU where the two freaks are keeping their kids locked in a closet and playing some WOW-clone on their console.

"I'll be right there, Jimmy, HOLD YOUR FREAKING HORSES! I'm trying to kill this damn drag..... oh... see? SEE? JIMMY WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE WHAT YOU DID? THAT DAMN DRAGON JUST SHIT ALL OVER ME!!!! GOD DAMMIT NO CORN FLAKES FOR YOU TONIGHT!!!"

SKYRIM

Davedough

Dresden

Obsidian would somehow find a way to make it look shitty and run worse.

Ill agree that they make some of the more interesting games, but optimization is no their strong-suit.

Judging by the console performance threads, optimization isn't Bethesda's strength either.

scy

Then craft potions using 3 ingredients (think they increase skill ups), and when you're done dump as many potions back to the vendors to recoup your costs and eventually make money.

Alchemy skill gains are purely by cost of the resulting potion. This means your target goal Potions should be:

Invisibility
Paralysis
Fortify Carry
Damage Magicka Regen
Slow
Regen Health/Magicka/Stamina
Damage Stamina Regen

Giant's Toe + Wheat is a pretty good combination if the Toes were more common. A pretty easy one to find materials for is Blue Mountain Flower + Hanging Moss works well; if you have the spare Bear Claws, Canis Root, Hawk Feathers, or Rock Warbler Eggs, you can add Fortify One-Handed to this combination. Not sure how much that improves the value off-hand though.

thefil

You make me want to pay New Vegas, but I hate the combat so much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of that, im up to the quest where i have to
warn the Jarl of Whiterun that the Stormcloaks are planning to attack them
. Im not sure if i want to go do that yet...
is Whiterun going to be burned/destroyed
later in the questline?

Spoilers:
Depending on which side you take, you will either defend Whiterun or invade it and force Jarl Balgruuf to surrender. During the battle (which is arguably one of the best parts of the entire quest line), Whiterun is messed up a bit and certain buildings and ramparts are aflame. After the battle is completed, however, it's back to business as usual (with some minor property damage remaining). If you went with the Stormcloaks, you'll have to talk to the new Jarl to be made a Thane again and regain access to your house. Lydia will remain your Housecarl if you do so, and everyone gets on with their lives.

scy

That's assuming no smithing potions at all? 50% ones are easily attainable and even 60-70% ones are feasible without alchemy perks. Seems even more plausible with a set of smithing gear and a 130% smithing potion. There's no doubt I could go home and make a set of max armor without a single heavy armor perk; whether you can do it without ANY perks might be a bit more challenging and require collecting the right crafting drops.

130% Smithing Potion with 4 slots of +32% Smithing only gets you to a 358 Smithing Skill or +179 Armor Rating. Taking the Daedric set again, that would be 144 + 214 for 501 Armor Rating at 100 Heavy Armor Skill.

If you can get around +90 +50 Heavy Armor skill on your equipment, you should be able to hit 567 with full Daedric + Shield with full Smithing Gear and Potion.

Edit: Goddamnit, I keep forgetting to modify the Shield too. Fixed some numbers.

Because i don't want a horse following me around. It's no big deal, but I still think there should be a way to park it somewhere.

agreed. The whole horse system is retarded. They should have had the horse drawn carriage be an actual ride, not just a short cut for fast travel. That would have been awesome. Sitting in the back of a carriage, listening to the driver talk about wherever you're going, commenting on the surroundings etc....

what a lost opportunity.

sidequest question: got a boa
t ride to some island in the north, to kill some kind of pirate. i could enter a cave from a hideout there, but decided to postpone it until i've killed the leader. now when i killed the leader, i noticed the entrance to that cave was blocked by rubble. what happened there and was it worthwhile to explore? i wonder why they would do that.

No, it got a 7/10 because of OTHER people's lag. Reviewer admitted that his experience had been great and he hadn't had any slowdown in his playthrough.

Wow... fail.

agreed. The whole horse system is retarded. They should have had the horse drawn carriage be an actual ride, not just a short cut for fast travel. That would have been awesome. Sitting in the back of a carriage, listening to the driver talk about wherever you're going, commenting on the surroundings etc....

what a lost opportunity.

I agree that quite a lot could have been done with the carriages. Would have been cool to expand on it rather than just leave it the odd thing it is...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
But... you don't have to ride it... lol
There's a chance it might run into a dragon or bandits after quick travel and die.

Not my precious horsey :(

In fact, you should be allowed to buy a stable and collect horses.

Jarlaxle

what a lost opportunity.

Isn't that done in Red Dead?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
glass armor is rather disappointing... it looks so stupid. :/

Top Bottom