• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

But... you don't have to ride it... lol

Personally, I like the system because of how I play. I ride to the main cities, take a wagon to the city I want to head to, then hop back on my horse and ride to where I'm going from there.

But in general, the horses seem poorly implemented for a second attempt. Their physics are wonky as hell, you can't attack while on them, etc. I enjoy riding them, which I sure didn't in Oblivion, but that's as far as the improvements went. I wish they'd been iterated on much more than they were.

And agree about the wagon system, really could have been expanded. Personally I'd like to see the wagon system made a bit more expansive, and fast travel nuked, but that would require an overhaul to the way quests are handed out. So I just ignore fast travel.

Morokh

I booted the game tonight thinking that I would continue the main quest, cause I felt a little bored with the game, thought I saw the most of it .... and then the game just proved me entirely wrong
Blackreach

That was just awesome :p

[Quest spoiler]
And so is the Oblivion fan-service with the Sinderion Ninroot quest :D

GhaleonEB

There's a chance it might run into a dragon or bandits after quick travel and die.

Not my precious horsey :(

In fact, you should be allowed to buy a stable and collect horses.

On three occasions, I've been talking to the wagon driver while a dragon was circling before an attack. We sort of teleport out of there. :lol

One of my big issues with the game is how pointless gold is beyond early on in the game. I bought the house in Solitude first, and after that I've been rolling in coin with nothing to spend it on (over 30k so far). I wish there were some really expensive things out there, like different horses, stables, mansions, etc. to save up for and make the coin have a use beyond the early stages of the game. Give me a 100k mansion, with hugely expensive upgrades, prize horses to collect, a stable, etc.

Woorloog

Banned
glass armor is rather disappointing... it looks so stupid. :/

IMO it looks great. Ditched Savior's Hide for it (but then it it is damn ugly in Skyrim, decent in Oblivion and Morrowind)
Oblivion glass armor was horrible looking, too bright and too much "glass" in it. Of course Oblivion didn't have many good looking armors anyway...

On three occasions, I've been talking to the wagon driver while a dragon was circling before an attack. We sort of teleport out of there. :lol

One of my big issues with the game is how pointless gold is beyond early on in the game. I bought the house in Solitude first, and after that I've been rolling in coin with nothing to spend it on (over 30k so far). I wish there were some really expensive things out there, like different horses, stables, mansions, etc. to save up for and make the coin have a use beyond the early stages of the game. Give me a 100k mansion, with hugely expensive upgrades, prize horses to collect, a stable, etc.

Agreed! I'd love to be able to buy a castle out in the wilds, stock it with plenty of goods, and even start to attract companions to live there and go about various jobs like blacksmith, merchant, horse trainer, etc. Allow us to collect taxes from those living under our roof, while at the same time hiring guards to protect the place.

I know it would open a new dynamic to the game, but it would also make you feel like you're building a bit of a kingdom and give you something to spend your cash on. At certain points in the game, the gold is just a way to keep score. It's like that in most RPG's though, so go figure.

Ducarmel

I took a break from the main quest because of the shitty Paarthurnax quest. But i read that if
if you spare him all the dragons will be friendly and only attack animals, giants, etc
is this true.

Dresden

Hmm, managed to sneak up to another dragon and its tail was in reach of my daggers. I've noticed that if you kill a dragon in one sneak attack (technically it's four attacks since the dual dagger power attacks hit four times, I guess) they'll scream and fly off for a while before landing.

Anyways this particular dragon landed a little distance away from me, and then, uh, sunk into the ground. No soul or bones for me.

Sec0nd

I thought dual wielding melee weapons was supposed to be super powerful? I'm getting my ass handed to me if I try this. Granted I've been using my bow a lot lately so I'm pretty low with my One-Handed skill.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I thought dual wielding melee weapons was supposed to be super powerful? I'm getting my ass handed to me if I try this. Granted I've been using my bow a lot lately so I'm pretty low with my One-Handed skill.

I'm going to go ahead and say that you answered your own question. The game rewards specializing in a small group of skills. Drastically changing your setup late in the game is a pretty awful idea.

I booted the game tonight thinking that I would continue the main quest, cause I felt a little bored with the game, thought I saw the most of it .... and then the game just proved me entirely wrong
Blackreach

That was just awesome :p

[Quest spoiler]
And so is the Oblivion fan-service with the Sinderion Ninroot quest :D

MindBLOWING. Best area in the game. Simply amazing. I'm going to go back there pretty soon for another quest.

Dresden

Yeah, you need a decent skill level into One Handed to make it work.

Good news is that you don't need a ton of perks for dual wielding, though. The only essential ones number four in total.

Finished the Companions story line last night, was pretty awesome.

Some spoilers for it:
Is there some way to save the rest of the ghosts? or only Kodlak? Also, traveling as a werewolf is much faster than by horse!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Did you get the relevant perks? Are you swinging both weapons at the same time?

Kyoufu

There's a chance it might run into a dragon or bandits after quick travel and die.

Not my precious horsey :(

In fact, you should be allowed to buy a stable and collect horses.

Shadowmere can't die to a dragon or bandits, or anything. Only thing it shouldn't fight is a Giant or Troll. It'll get glitched out.

Nose Master

Let's go to the leaderboard, Mo!

98sFd.jpg

40 hours in and just became the Arch Mage, that was a great questline, the mask I received that gives 100% magic regeneration is a great reward.

Dresden

Well, fuck.

At level 38 every human enemy seems to be able to detect me in stealth now. I have 100 sneak + 50% Stealth, too, along with the Silence effect from the Ebony Mail. I can sneak up to Draugr Deathlords and Dragons just fine, but not . . . bandits or Forsworn or apprentice necromancers. Sigh.

Dunno what I can do now. This guy cast no magic, didn't enchant, or use any ranged attacks and did fine but now I wonder if I should either go level Illusion or enchant my gear with more +stealth stuff.

e: maybe putting the difficulty down to Expert or Adept would help. Kinda bummed by this.

Nose Master

Well, fuck.

At level 38 every human enemy seems to be able to detect me in stealth now. I have 100 sneak + 50% Stealth, too, along with the Silence effect from the Ebony Mail. I can sneak up to Draugr Deathlords and Dragons just fine, but not . . . bandits or Forsworn or apprentice necromancers. Sigh.

Dunno what I can do now. This guy cast no magic, didn't enchant, or use any ranged attacks and did fine but now I wonder if I should either go level Illusion or enchant my gear with more +stealth stuff.

Steed stone. I wear full heavy armor, and can bumble up to pretty much anything at any speed. No other buffs.

Haunted

That's definitely the reason. Get the two dual-wielding perks in the one-handed skill weapons skill tree (attacks 50% faster and 50% more damage) and you kill enemies with your dual power attack so damn quickly.

No, I think Obsidian should handle Fallout 4 on the Skyrim engine.

Think about it: Obsidian has a lot of fallout guys. They just hired Tim Cain. New Vegas, setting and character wise, was LEAPS ahead of Fallout 3.

I fucking wish this would happen, New Vegas as a game was at least an order of magnitude better than Bethesda's previous efforts. But I doubt it.

Well, fuck.

e: maybe putting the difficulty down to Expert or Adept would help. Kinda bummed by this.

Seems odd to me, at level 42, 100 sneak (with all perks) and no enchants to boost stealth I'm not having much problem. Staying outside of their cone of vision and staying in the shadows still goes a long way though, and oddly enough even I think perks should negate it, sometimes moving slowly seems to help. Overall though, no problems sneaking up on humans, bandits, forsworn, etc.

edit:
well I'm also in light armor, maybe the steed/perks don't negate that as much as the description seems to indicate

Gravijah

Blackreach

someone pwease point me in the direction of
blackreach

TheMan

Is there any point to buying a horse if I have a follower? Will they be able to keep up? Lydia can't even keep up if I run too fast. Such a pain in the ass.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
I haven't had much time to play because of work (Level 8, about 10 hours played) but this is seriously one of the best games I've ever played, so much fun just exploring and doing whatever.

Anyway, I hooked up my gaming rig/main PC to my 3D projector last night.....suffice it to say hurling lightning at a dragon in first person in 3D, on an 8 foot screen is one of the most epic gaming experiences I've ever had.

The attention to detail is extremely impressive. As a joke I attacked one of the Greybeards, he immediately used his shout to freeze my companion but I was able to hit her with a blast of fire to melt the ice and unfreeze her. That seriously impressed me.

Oh wow, last two hours went perfectly. First I managed to get my hands on
Oghma Infinium
, used it, couldn't believe what it did.

Then I managed to get Waterbreathing and Fortify Stamina enchants, so I could finally slap some enchants on my Daedric Shield. Now I'm rocking +46% Fire, Frost, and Shock resistances, tons of +% Block dmg, and zillions of HP and Stamina (Lvl43, 550HP, 400 Stamina).

blackreach

Can't be missed, you do it during MQ. If you however want to go there before that you need to travel through Alfland, which is located on northern slope of Mount Anthor, east of Saarthal.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Is there any point to buying a horse if I have a follower? Will they be able to keep up? Lydia can't even keep up if I run too fast. Such a pain in the ass.

She keeps up with me just fine. I did some tests and she will lag behind but it seems like only up to a certain point because once I stop she always catches up in a few seconds no matter how long I've been riding.

Morokh

blackreach

You have to go through an entire Dwemer ruin to reach it, if you have the quest just follow the quest marker to find the one.

Continued the main quest and it's getting better and better :p
I did not pick any side in the war and just organized the peace council :D what an amazing moment !

scy

Well, fuck.

Huh. That is odd. My Stealth character in her 50s with no Muffle and no +Sneak effects going on (barring the one point in the base Sneak perk) has no trouble getting up close for murders. Master Difficulty as well. Though, that is hazy memory work and I range combat a lot more often than melee.

Full Light Armor here, however. Though I can't imagine that loading in Sneak effects not making up for it. The only other explanation I can think of is some effect causing sound (spell effect on equipment, bumping into something in the terrain).

Is it not possible to make Special items "Legendary" with a workbench or grindstone? For example, I can only get the Nightingale armor to "Flawless", and not any higher.

scy

Is it not possible to make Special items "Legendary" with a workbench or grindstone? For example, I can only get the Nightingale armor to "Flawless", and not any higher.

What is your Smithing skill and what perks do you have? With the relevant perk*, the skill needed is right around 100 (91); without it, you'll need to get to 196 via Enchanting or Alchemy.

*I'm actually not sure it has a related perk, actually...

Rapture

Let's go to the leaderboard, Mo!

omg yes! i knew i liked her voice for a reason!

Oh by the way,am I out of luck with my Orc if I want to romance someone or is there a cute Orcish girl somewhere lol ?

There is an orc stronghold to the northwest almost as far as you can go, the name escapes me at the moment, but there is an orc female that you can get to join you and i imagine she might marry you too if you have the mara necklace and what not.

Dresden

Ditched my ebony shield of blocking and it seems to be slightly better. I wonder if the Forsworn near Red Eagle just have more levels than the others; they were two shotting me, so that might be it.
What is your Smithing skill and what perks do you have? With the relevant perk*, the skill needed is right around 100 (91); without it, you'll need to get to 196 via Enchanting or Alchemy.

The unique items have no related perks, so you need 196 or w/e smithing to upgrade it to Legendary.

abundant

Some special items will need +Smithing enchantments/potions plus 100 Smithing to reach Legendary.

My Smithing is at 100. I can get regular items to be "Legendary", just not special items, like Daedric Artifacts for example.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be that way.

Edit: What are +Smithing enchantments?^^

scy

I was pretty sure it didn't, being a Leather-base after all, but yeah the Unique thing too. I haven't actually gotten around to Smithing too many Uniques :/

My Smithing is at 100. I can get regular items to be "Legendary", just not special items, like Daedric Artifacts for example.

It's not a huge deal, I'm just wondering if it's supposed to be that way.

Edit: What are +Smithing enchantments?^^

The Fortify Smithing effect can be found ... well, randomly. Just check vendors a lot. Alchemy wise, the easiest combination, personally, is Glowing Mushroom + Blisterwort or Glowing Mushroom + Spriggan Sap; the latter is rarer but you can add in Blue Butterfly Wings or Snowberries to get Fortify Enchanting + Fortify Smithing in the same potions.

Top Bottom