• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

Alchemy

I don't have any +smithing or enchanting gear... is it easy to get?

I kept checking with armor merchants and clothing merchants until I found a +smithing ring and disenchanted it so I can make my own set. Took probably 10 hours of looking while play through the game normally.

In other news, I'm 20+ hours in amd just found out that quick select items can be mapped to left and right on the d-pad and there is a sprint button.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
In other news, I'm 20+ hours in amd just found out that quick select items can be mapped to left and right on the d-pad and there is a sprint button.

Good thing you'll probably be playing the game for another 80+ hours.

Seanspeed

Banned
Holy hell.

91 hours in.

Never been to Solitude, Dawnstar, Riften or Windhelm.

Haven't done any of the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial or Stormcloak missions.

Only bought one house.

And I've finally just completed my 5th main quest.

91 hours.

Found out quicker than me!

ajf009

Will doing the Stormcloak campaign affect anything from the main quest? or does it not matter which one i do first?

bengraven said:
Wait, what?

I'm 55 hours in and I'm not aware of this...how?!

put an item on your favorites list (or spell), then go to your favorites and hold down left or right on the d pad for the item (or spell) you want there

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Will doing the Stormcloak campaign affect anything from the main quest? or does it not matter which one i do first?

it affects nothing at all, and that's really unfortunate.

thetrin

What about other city's quests? Will I lose a quest from say,
Solitude
if I finish the Stormcloaks before I ever visit there?

As far as I know, no. The only thing that changes is what guards walk around the city.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How much of a difference in dagger damage am I looking at if I take the hours out to get this +smithing or +enchanting stuff?

Anyone know of where I can find a map of Markarth? (Google has failed me.) I'm running a D&D campaign and Markarth would be completely fucking perfect.

I don't want to have to do it the grindy way by being in game and mapping it on graph paper (but I will if I must).

ajf009

As far as I know, no. The only thing that changes is what guards walk around the city.

oh ok cool, I was just wondering because I'm at the part where
we attack Whiterun
and I was just thinking, what if
Aela
gets caught in the crossfire and dies?? We won't be able to get married... oh this game make me feel creepy

and it's interesting how the fact that I'm
a Thane of Whiterun, and basically friend with the Jarl makes no difference what so ever

Cudder

someone needs to do a step-by-step on how to get the absolute best armour in the game. with descriptions on exactly what potions and enchantments and armour you need and all that.

Epix

Hands off boys

EF0D304BD9B5B80C7D088BF477AB5E9F96D298DB

41AD1DCEA516C0346556718416BB1403DCD67F1D

Holy hell.

91 hours in.

Never been to Solitude, Dawnstar, Riften or Windhelm.

Haven't done any of the Thieves' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Imperial or Stormcloak missions.

Only bought one house.

And I've finally just completed my 5th main quest.

91 hours.

Found out quicker than me!

What have you been doing..?

Seanspeed

Banned
What have you been doing..?

A big chunk of my time comes from walking most places instead of fast-traveling. Most of my fast-traveling is to sell stuff and organize my inventory in Whiterun, but other than that, I just like to take my time with stuff. I read books. I sit and stare at the scenery. I like to wander into random dungeons when I'm prepared. I play a sneak/archer character so I'm not just rushing through said dungeons.

Its weird how much time has passed, actually. I dont feel like its been more than 50 hours, but if the phrase, "Time flies when you're having fun" has ever been true, I've yet to hear of a better example.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

Thanks for this! I was wondering if that was possible. Luckily I'm only 10 hours in.

I'm using the 360 pad on the PC but my girlfriend is playing with K&M, is there an equivalent to the d-pad on the keyboard?

ajf009

A big chunk of my time comes from walking most places instead of fast-traveling. Most of my fast-traveling is to sell stuff and organize my inventory in Whiterun, but other than that, I just like to take my time with stuff. I read books. I sit and stare at the scenery. I like to wander into random dungeons when I'm prepared. I play a sneak/archer character so I'm not just rushing through said dungeons.

Its weird how much time has passed, actually. I dont feel like its been more than 50 hours, but if the phrase, "Time flies when you're having fun" has ever been true, I've yet to hear of a better example.

I kept saying, "yeah I think I'm around 30-40 hours or so" for the longest time.. Then I actually checked my time played and it was 60+

MY jaw dropped, I was like damnn.. what have I been doing???

scy

someone needs to do a step-by-step on how to get the absolute best armour in the game. with descriptions on exactly what potions and enchantments and armour you need and all that.

It isn't too terribly complicated. Assuming you have maxed Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy:

1) Vendor purchase a Fortify Enchanting Potion. This isn't super necessary, sure, but you might as well do it.

2*) Use the Potion and then Enchant a Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet with Fortify Alchemy.

3) Equip the Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet you Enchanted with Fortify Alchemy. Go and make some Fortify Enchanting Potions with any two of the following ingredients: Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap. Make more than one as the duration is rather short.

4) Take your new found boosted Potion(s) and you'll basically repeat step 2. Drink the Potion, Enchant a new Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet with Fortify Alchemy.

5) Repeat 3 -> 4 for awhile until you stop noticing gains (29% is the highest you'll get out of Enchanting Fortify Alchemy). Now, take one of your Fortify Enchanting Potions and make a set of Fortify Smithing equipment with a Necklace, Ring, Chest, and Bracer/Gauntlet. You'll also need to make a Fortify Smithing Potion out of two of the following ingredients: Blisterwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap. As before, make more than one just in case due to the duration.

6) Equip your Fortify Smithing Gear and down the Potion. Upgrade your stuff. Hooray! For the record, you only need the equipment and Potion when you're doing the upgrading of them via the Workbench or Grinding Stone; creating Armor is irrelevant to your Smithing skill.

*There's two glitches you can use here if you want. Falmer Helmet can be worn on top of Circlets and they are Enchantable so you can get five Armor slots with Fortify Alchemy Enchants. You can also select Weapon/Weapon Enchant and then swap one for one of the Armor only Enchant ... such as Fortify Alchemy. So you can also get Fortify onto your Weapons this way making for a total of 7 slots of Fortify Alchemy. If you utilize this, it is basically the same process as above except you're now also Enchanting a Falmer Helmet and two Weapons. As far as I know, they're tried and true glitches and not oversights so I'll leave it to your morals on this~

As for acquiring the two Enchants you need (Fortify Alchemy, Fortify Smithing) ... they're random. Just check Blacksmith vendors and the General Stores until you find it. If you're a Thief character, you may find it randomly on Pickpocket attempts throughout the game but I wouldn't hunt it down this way.

As for essential Perks:
Smithing - You'll need whatever Perk that is associated with your Armor. If you plan to upgrade Ebony equipment, you'll need the Ebony Smithing Perk.

Enchanting - Enchanter 5/5, Insightful Enchanter. Might as well take it all the way to Extra Effect, especially if you plan to use the glitched weapons for this procedure.

Alchemy - Alchemist 5/5, Physician, Benefactor. No real reason to go beyond this.

Other thing to note is that Armor caps at 567 so going beyond that value isn't necessary.

I'm around 60 hours in now, fast-traveling much less, and basically just running around. I did do a lot of quests, but I see how you could have played so much from what you described. It's fun to walk around, kill some bears, and find some cool, random things.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Companions quest questions.

I want to do them, but not sure if I want to be a werewolf (you'd think Kahjiht would be immune...). Anyways. What exactly does being a were wolf entail, and does the quest line give you control over when you transform?

Seanspeed

Banned
I kept saying, "yeah I think I'm around 30-40 hours or so" for the longest time.. Then I actually checked my time played and it was 60+

30 minutes of Skyrim time = 120 minutes of doing dishes

or is it the other way around? <--- genuine stupid question right there

Lucario

Man, I told someone 30 hours the other day.
I checked and it was 70.

the fuck is wrong with this game.

Cudder

I want to do them, but not sure if I want to be a werewolf (you'd think Kahjiht would be immune...). Anyways. What exactly does being a were wolf entail, and does the quest line give you control over when you transform?

It's a power you get, can use it once a day. No drawbacks other than not being able to get resting bonus while sleeping. You also can not get a disease while you are a werewolf (you have disease immunity in human form too)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It isn't too terribly complicated. Assuming you have maxed Smithing, Enchanting, and Alchemy:

1) Vendor purchase a Fortify Enchanting Potion. This isn't super necessary, sure, but you might as well do it.

2*) Use the Potion and then Enchant a Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet with Fortify Alchemy.

3) Equip the Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet you Enchanted with Fortify Alchemy. Go and make some Fortify Enchanting Potions with any two of the following ingredients: Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap. Make more than one as the duration is rather short.

4) Take your new found boosted Potion(s) and you'll basically repeat step 2. Drink the Potion, Enchant a new Necklace, Ring, Helmet, and Bracer/Gauntlet with Fortify Alchemy.

5) Repeat 3 -> 4 for awhile until you stop noticing gains (29% is the highest you'll get out of Enchanting Fortify Alchemy). Now, take one of your Fortify Enchanting Potions and make a set of Fortify Smithing equipment with a Necklace, Ring, Chest, and Bracer/Gauntlet. You'll also need to make a Fortify Smithing Potion out of two of the following ingredients: Blisterwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap. As before, make more than one just in case due to the duration.

6) Equip your Fortify Smithing Gear and down the Potion. Upgrade your stuff. Hooray! For the record, you only need the equipment and Potion when you're doing the upgrading of them via the Workbench or Grinding Stone; creating Armor is irrelevant to your Smithing skill.

*There's two glitches you can use here if you want. Falmer Helmet can be worn on top of Circlets and they are Enchantable so you can get five Armor slots with Fortify Alchemy Enchants. You can also select Weapon/Weapon Enchant and then swap one for one of the Armor only Enchant ... such as Fortify Alchemy. So you can also get Fortify onto your Weapons this way making for a total of 7 slots of Fortify Alchemy. If you utilize this, it is basically the same process as above except you're now also Enchanting a Falmer Helmet and two Weapons. As far as I know, they're tried and true glitches and not oversights so I'll leave it to your morals on this~

As for acquiring the two Enchants you need (Fortify Alchemy, Fortify Smithing) ... they're random. Just check Blacksmith vendors and the General Stores until you find it. If you're a Thief character, you may find it randomly on Pickpocket attempts throughout the game but I wouldn't hunt it down this way.

As for essential Perks:
Smithing - You'll need whatever Perk that is associated with your Armor. If you plan to upgrade Ebony equipment, you'll need the Ebony Smithing Perk.

Enchanting - Enchanter 5/5, Insightful Enchanter. Might as well take it all the way to Extra Effect, especially if you plan to use the glitched weapons for this procedure.

Alchemy - Alchemist 5/5, Physician, Benefactor. No real reason to go beyond this.

Other thing to note is that Armor caps at 567 so going beyond that value isn't necessary.

Wow thanks for this.

It actually seems more complicated than it's worth for me since I'm just doing weapons. Rocking this nightingale armor til I die.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm around 60 hours in now, fast-traveling much less, and basically just running around. I did do a lot of quests, but I see how you could have played so much from what you described. It's fun to walk around, kill some bears, and find some cool, random things.
I've definitely found so much cool shit just running around on-foot. I actually feel like you'd be missing out on a ton if you just fast-traveled everywhere and were in a hurry to complete anything.

Hell, I probably spent a few hours alone on a single quest that I found from reading a random book.

Quests come in the most unexpectated places and its awesome. I feel bad for anybody just rushing through the game.

scy

Wow thanks for this.

It actually seems more complicated than it's worth for me since I'm just doing weapons. Rocking this nightingale armor til I die.

The looping them around (which is sort of exaggerated as it doesn't go infinitely; it's like a 3 or 4 time repeat at best/worst) isn't totally necessary, just kind of an overkill thing for the most part.

You're still going to find it worth it to Enchant the best Fortify Smithing stuff you can and down the best Fortify Smithing Potion you can make (and/or purchase) and just "live" with that. Chances are it'll beast mode most things in the game anyway.

GhaleonEB

I'm in a similar state. 92 hours into the game, I'm still wrapping up the 'special' end game Thieves Guild quests, have completed two Daedric quests, 10 total side quests, 4 for the main quest line, and have just learned about
the plan to assassinate the Emperor
in the Dark Brotherhood. Nothing with Companions, nothing with College of Winterhold. I have 48 quests and side quests on queue.

Each night I do a few quests/tasks, and about every other night a dungeon. It takes me about 30 minutes each night to wrap up my questing - get to a city, sell my loot, drop stuff off at my houses (different houses have different loot stashes), etc. And I don't mind, in fact I really enjoy the tidy up. It makes the quests feel like a journey.

In Skyrim I've found that the journey to places is often as enjoyable (and sometimes more) than what I do at the destinations themselves. It's an integral part of the game.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

They give you the option of curing yourself at the very end.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
The number keys. Just hover over the thing you want in the quick/favorite thing and press a #.

Yup, thanks. I just dug out the manual and read that. I'll let her know :)

nib95

Banned
So now my Daedra suit and weapons were complete, all enchanted and pure bad ass. I stopped grinding (beyond using an iron sword instead of my Daedra sword for certain enemies to build up my One Handed some more) and actually playing the game, and I had an awesome bout of quests that put some magic back in to the game (I was actually getting a bit bored of the same same un-original quests).

The one's I did were the Cannibal related one's followed by the College of Winterhold. Even though I'm not a mage, I just love the way they introduce you to the college. The tour, lessons, grounds, hostel etc, just really cool.

I went to the top of the college just to get a good view and an Ancient Dragon flew by. Had a really epic battle in what felt like some high up magic realm. Was really cool.

Lets hope this quality of quests hold up and it doesn't just go back to kill these bandits at that camp and so on.

Also, now that I have both maxed out Ebony and Daedric armour, I can safely say I think Daedric bests Ebony in appearance (my previous fave). Ebony looks slick, but Daedric just looks so bad ass. Love the shapes, the size (much more imposing than the other armours) and most of all, the absolutely awesome red glow to the detailing. Such a shame Dragonplate armour looks like shite (imo).

Korosenai

Yea i'm pissed.

Finished my last Daedra quest, I got 15 out of 16 artifacts (including the skeleton key), and didn't get the achievement. wtf

So im stuck in this are where I need to get the Elder Scrolls. Turning devices? I used the square one but where do I put the round one? Also what do I have to do here?

N/M just kept pressing buttons and it came down. Still dont know what I did

ajf009

So I stumble into an Imperial camp near the mountains (I'm a Stormcloak) and decide to snipe them all from a nearby ridge.. turns out one of them is an immortal, and he won't accept my yield. rediculous

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So im stuck in this are where I need to get the Elder Scrolls. Turning devices? I used the square one but where do I put the round one? Also what do I have to do here?

N/M just kept pressing buttons and it came down. Still dont know what I did

Yea those "puzzle" sections are pretty poor.

3phemeral

I haven't ready any of this thread because I'm afraid I'll spoil something.
3AQmK.gif

Anyway, I haven't been this engrossed in a game for YEARS. People at work kept discussing it, so I casually checked out youtube videos and convinced myself to get it. And even then, I wasn't prepared for the mind-blowing scope of this game (I've never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls).

People are work are amazed I'm level 27 and I've yet to absorb my first Dragon Soul, but I just got so engrossed in running into new things on the world map that I completely got distracted from the main story. Markath City and the Forsworn Conspiracy quest is so damned broken though:

Doesn't matter how I finish the quest, I always return to find that guards attacking me. Even if I kill all the guards in the main city and have the message "No witness remain. Bounty removed.", there's always some guard, whether in the Keep or the museum that will suddenly attack or get stuck in a loop trying to arrest me. That and the three guards who try to pin the murder on me in the Talos shrine are always in that shrine and instantly attack.

i-Lo

15 hours in and the only city I was in was Whiterun. On the 16th hour, I got involved in a drinking game that took me to Markarth of which I had no intention if I had visit it by walking there.

Markarth reminds me a bit of SotC.

Anyways, at level 20, it was a hard fought battle when completing Red Eagle's Sword quest at Rebel's Cairn(the last battle was optional and massively difficult if you don't have the right tools and attitude for it). I loved it in the end. Haven't had this much satisfaction beating a boss like character since Demon's Souls.

3phemeral

well wtf i didnt know this either lol
I found this out by accident, but it's weird. You can't really undo it, as you can only assign it to something else. The 360 controller's d-pad sucks, as when it'll either go to the favorites menu or switch to a different magic/weapon set when I'm trying to do something else. I somehow got my second quick-action button to disappear, but the first one always remains on something.

Do some merchants pay better than others? Or can I just offload my haul to anyone with the cash?

In Skyrim I've found that the journey to places is often as enjoyable (and sometimes more) than what I do at the destinations themselves. It's an integral part of the game.

Yeah, I'm enjoying that a lot too. I stopped using fast travel for the last couple of days and just hung around towns (Whiterun yesterday, then made the trek to Riften where I spent my time today). It's been cool to spend a bit more time getting to know the story and setting of a single town rather than darting all over the map. I'm playing a thief, so I've been laying out my schedule in order to do my pilfering at night and my legitimate questing by day. I managed to pickpocket a key off one of the Black-Briars as they were entering their house, so I made a visit later that night to rob them while they slept.

I'm not sure how well this play style would work if I did it from the beginning, though... I had already spent about 30 hours running around the world hoovering up quests, so I probably have more to do in most towns than I would if I was visiting them for the first time.

Top Bottom