• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Should I even be trying to fight this dragon? I'm a level 10, just finished the quest where you meet the grey beards.
Figured I'd go and do a few quests for the companions, and I've encountered TWO dragons that are like fighting eachother. I've tried it about 4 times now. Each with a different result. Usually one of the dragons will kill the other one, but like, Its really clunky. Its hard to even tell where they are, sometimes they won't even be textured properly. How am I supposed to kill this dragon? It seems really frustrating and I'm wondering if I should just say fuck it and not worry about it.

EDIT: DRAGON SOUL ABSORBED

They give you the option of curing yourself at the very end.

Is that before or after the bazillion silly animal extermination quests they have you do?
It does rarely drop and some merchants might sell it (at least, the weapons), of course if you intend on having a full set or a specific weapon better get the perk (and go wild with enchanting).
I had the opportunity to buy a Daedric bow from the Fletcher dude (bows shop in Solitude).
Thanks I'll wait and see.

do other people think the final destruction spell is mad disappointing? The fact that it can't be shot at enemies make it worthless to me. they have to be in my face stabbing me for it to be doing any amount of damage, and because I've sunk all my skill advancements in magika means I'm dead before I can cast it. Speaking of that, it is nuts that I am level 35, always put my skill advancements into magika, but I still don't have enough magika to cast it without wearing enchanted armor. I'm a dunmer too, it's not like I'm a kajhit or some other race that isn't magic geared. Am I missing something?

sounds alright for my build, i've put all but 4 of my advancements into magicka also, with the gaudar amulet i get 150 hp and stamina, took the 3x armour perk from alteration. my mage gets up close and personal quite a bit. i've found being able to go a magic/melee combo works particularly well when i run up against other mages and keeps me filling soul gems without hardly any effort.

ideally you should be working on your enchantment skill to make destruction cost reduction gear. has the added benefit of generating a lot of cash.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the name ideas WanderingWind. I ended up settling for something conveying the elemental properties.

Sure couldn't max them out with my limited +smith/enchant stuff but whatever, I'm happy with them. I attack from the shadows anyway.
pY74n.png
gI2GF.png

I think I have that. One sec I'll check. I know I'm 100 in destruction.

edit: ok, I don't have that perk unlocked. How have you been able to use that spell? I've died every time I've tried to use it.
I don't have it. I've just looked it up on UESP. I doubt I'd be able to survive it though, I have something like 110 health.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I finally got around to finishing the main quest. Nice visuals, but pretty underwhelming overall. I finished at level 39, and like everything else in the game, the final boss died in a few hits since I took advantage of Smithing and Enchanting.

Just don't mess with Smithing or Enchanting if you want to preserve the difficulty at all.

64 hours into the game (I restarted at 28 hours), and I still haven't ton a whole ton of stuff, but I think I'm going to take a break for a while now. I've said it before, but the magic of the game really started to fade for me around 30-hour mark. I still think it's a great game, but I hope Bethesda can really focus on making some things better for their next game, even if they have to reduce the size of the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I seem to have zoomed in my third-person view somehow, now it's like an over-the-shoulder shooter style angle. Any idea how to undo this?

nib95

Banned
God the buying/selling system in this game is so damn flawed. Merchants are useless. I'm at level 49 and to make things worse I have to unlock 5 perks to get the master Speech perk (all Merchants get +1000). So annoying that the next several hours of my play will go towards upgrading something pretty much unrelated to actual combat. But I want those houses so I have no choice really.

P.S, I also haven't seen the Greybeards yet lol.

Log4Girlz

I finally got around to finishing the main quest. Nice visuals, but pretty underwhelming overall. I finished at level 39, and like everything else in the game, the final boss died in a few hits since I took advantage of Smithing and Enchanting.

Just don't mess with Smithing or Enchanting if you want to preserve the difficulty at all.

64 hours into the game (I restarted at 28 hours), and I still haven't ton a whole ton of stuff, but I think I'm going to take a break for a while now. I've said it before, but the magic of the game really started to fade for me around 30-hour mark. I still think it's a great game, but I hope Bethesda can really focus on making some things better for their next game, even if they have to reduce the size of the world.

Yea if I start this game over, no smithing! haha

nib95

Banned

If you go Smithing/Enchanting, just up the difficulty to Expert or Master. Still offers a good challenge.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If you go Smithing/Enchanting, just up the difficulty to Expert or Master. Still offers a good challenge.

No it doesn't. I play on Master. The final boss of the main quest died in 4 dual-wield attacks.

God the buying/selling system in this game is so damn flawed. Merchants are useless. I'm at level 49 and to make things worse I have to unlock 5 perks to get the master Speech perk (all Merchants get +1000). So annoying that the next several hours of my play will go towards upgrading something pretty much unrelated to actual combat. But I want those houses so I have no choice really.

You could just quick travel around and sell off your loot to multiple merchants... or save the game, kill the merchant and reload... or wait 48 hours... or if you really don't like busywork, just give yourself enough money to buy the house via the console.

Arjen

God the buying/selling system in this game is so damn flawed. Merchants are useless. I'm at level 49 and to make things worse I have to unlock 5 perks to get the master Speech perk (all Merchants get +1000).

I'm starting to hate this to, most merchants have 1500 gold tops, i'm finding so much good stuff i want to sell, i have to fast travel to all merchants known to mankind to get rid of all my stuff.

GhaleonEB

Tonight, I turned my attention to joining the Stormcloaks, and with it turnig the tide of the war.

Partway through the first raid, and my fellow soldiers didn't have much to do. I'd (literally) roll ahead of them and one-shot all the Imperial scum from a distance while sneaking. Everyone fell before my arrows.

I have smithed, enchanted ebony bow with fire damage I named Blackflame (because I'm so very clever). I was so happy to craft a bow stronger than the one from the Thieves Guild quest line which served me well.

Question about enchantment damage. My understanding is the 3x archery damage from sneak applies to the base damage, and then the enchanted damage is added on top, but not multiplied as well. Is that correct?

Blackflame does 8 points more than the other bow, but the base damage was MUCH higher, and it seems like my opening sneak shots are more powerful as a result.

Other accomplishment tonight was clearing out the alcove below Whiterun of smuggling filth. I'd always take out the couple guys, then some others would come in and the mage would rock my ass. Tonight, I watched them come from a distance and sniped'em. Felt so, so good.

scy

It's a bug, as far as I know, but two merchants at least get to function differently. I could infinitely invest with the inside of Warmaiden's, though it resets if I ever speak to the vendor outside (and lost the option entirely if I invested with her). Since I played a female character and had Allure, I never used her anyway so it's not a huge loss unless I forgot.

The more notable one is the Riverwood Trader owner, when invested, shoots up to the 10,000+ range of Gold. It's probably a bug but, really, all this is doing for me is saving me from doing 3 Fast Travels trips around the world to sell off crap. As a plus, he's a General Goods vendor so he'll take practically everything.

Edit: Both on PC so no idea if the patch is fixing this or not. Or even if it's the case for the consoles in general.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished the main quest today. WOW. Fucking awesome.

Finishing the main quest also marked my 90 hour mark in the game. Finished Companions, finished DB, finished Imperial Legion, and now the main quest. I've done a TON of side quests and misc quests, and I've uncovered a ton of the map.

And yet, tomorrow evening after I get back from the gym, I'm going to play more Skyrim. I'm going to finish off the Thieves' Guild, and then do random side quests until my eyes bleed. The magic is still with me in this game, and I'm close to breaking the 100 hour mark in this game. I can't stop.

God I love this game.

GhaleonEB

It's a bug, as far as I know, but two merchants at least get to function differently. I could infinitely invest with the inside of Warmaiden's, though it resets if I ever speak to the vendor outside (and lost the option entirely if I invested with her). Since I played a female character and had Allure, I never used her anyway so it's not a huge loss unless I forgot.

The more notable one is the Riverwood Trader owner, when invested, shoots up to the 10,000+ range of Gold. It's probably a bug but, really, all this is doing for me is saving me from doing 3 Fast Travels trips around the world to sell off crap. As a plus, he's a General Goods vendor so he'll take practically everything.

Edit: Both on PC so no idea if the patch is fixing this or not. Or even if it's the case for the consoles in general.

How do you invest in a business?
An awesome rendition of The Dragonborn Comes and the main theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g

Yup, pretty great.

Luthos

Just finished the main quest: (spoilers)

Sovengarde looked awesome. It and Blackreach were some amazing areas. I love in Sovengarde the sky box, and the chanting music in the background.

Log4Girlz

Just finished the main quest: (spoilers)

Sovengarde looked awesome. It and Blackreach were some amazing areas. I love in Sovengarde the sky box, and the chanting music in the background.

What's weird is how after you're done
dragons still attack you wtf, I know its to make sure you have enough souls but wtf lol

Luthos

What's weird is how after you're done
dragons still attack you wtf, I know its to make sure you have enough souls but wtf lol

I just take it as there are some dragons who were still loyal to Alduin no matter what, and they're pissed you took him out.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yall wanna know how much I fail at life?

I play Skyrim with the music turned all the way off. And whenever I experiment with turning it on, I turn it back off in disgust within seconds. It's an amazing soundtrack, but I can't help but see it as a distraction.

Log4Girlz

I just take it as there are some dragons who were still loyal to Alduin no matter what, and they're pissed you took him out.

but I'm the goddamn Dovahkiin. I mean it does say, if you didn't kill him of course, that Paarthunax will try his best to make the Dragons fly away lol

Getting to finishing the MQ, wanted to get all the awesome shouts. Arrived just before
Anduin's portal to Sovngarde
, ofc due to stupid path-finding on
Dragonrend
I ended up pulling both of them :D No biggie, I'm a living God now so I tore the place apart.

I also decided to enchant my main weapon with only one elemental damage, it's 245 uses vs. 100 uses if two enchants are applied, and I couldn't be arsed to run around looking for humanoids to kill.

braves01

Banned
Yall wanna know how much I fail at life?

I play Skyrim with the music turned all the way off. And whenever I experiment with turning it on, I turn it back off in disgust within seconds. It's an amazing soundtrack, but I can't help but see it as a distraction.

Do you just play in silence then, or what? You still have sfx on surely?

nib95

Banned

Bloody brilliant. The Riverwood trader in my game I think is dead. His store never opens.

How high do I have to get sneak/which perks do I need so that I go by completely unnoticed (bar being right in someone's face)?

My sneak is 50 and I'm still getting spotted pretty easily.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Some of these
Daedric artifact
quests are deliciously wicked. I've had much more fun with a few of these than I ever had with the Thieves Guild or civil war faction nonsense.

Since I have three characters (warrior/mage/rogue) I like to switch back and forth between them. I made a little observation: gear you get from
Dark Brotherhood
is really OP. It has some nice enchants you cannot find (Muffle, although there's Illusion for that), plus it can keep up with other gear if you upgrade it at the Blacksmith.

Sure in the end you are better off enchanting something at 100 Enchanting, but it's still great gear because of how easy it is to get it.

Dresden

Since I have three characters (warrior/mage/rogue) I like to switch back and forth between them. I made a little observation: gear you get from
Dark Brotherhood
is really OP. It has some nice enchants you cannot find (Muffle, although there's Illusion for that), plus it can keep up with other gear if you upgrade it at the Blacksmith.

Sure in the end you are better off enchanting something at 100 Enchanting, but it's still great gear because of how easy it is to get it.

It's also like the ugliest set of armor in the game, so I think it evens out.

Yager

Banned
Since I became a
werewolf
in the game, I can't sleep well at night in real life.

SKYRIM.

(and yes, true story. I'm not sure if it's a coincidence or that I'm just going mad because of the game).

Top Bottom