• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I can't believe they managed to fuck more shit up with this patch. Ugh.

Nyx

Finally caved in and ordered the 360 version.

Do I still need to play from DVD or can I already install the game and not have texture problems ?

Anteater

oh wait the magic resistance is actually broken :eek:? I just thought the mages in my game scaled again to my level (they have always done lots of damage, I just recently crafted the new resistance rings and I haven't fought mages enough since then).

NBtoaster

Am i? I'm merely sceptical. Can a mortal ascend to godhood? I really wonder about that. And i have my doubts. There are two stories of Arkay, i'm inclined to belive the one where Arkay was not a mortal who was offered godhood but the one where Arkay was some sort of spirit early on.
I do wonder who the old man at Ghost Gate was when i was going to confront Dagoth Ur. It was implied he was Talos but there's no proof. Maybe he was from Psijic Order or something else.

I'm convinced because of the Knights of the Nine in Oblivion, you were only able to truly defeat Umaril because of the blessing of Talos.

I'm convinced because of the Knights of the Nine in Oblivion, you were only able to truly defeat Umaril because of the blessing of Talos.

Aye. Talos did plenty to prove he was real. That doesn't mean Tiber Septim and Talos are one and the same, perhaps Talos has been there all along, but only after Tiber Septim became his avatar did he become known and worshipped.

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I've been sent to Riften to speak to Esbern about the dragons, but I have to speak to Bryjolf to find out where he is. For him to tell me, it seems I have to complete his quest, which I really don't want to do.

No real consequences for being part of the Thieves guild except for awesome armor as you progress into the Nocturnal quests. But if you want you can just do that one task. Beware, Esbern is buggy on the PC version of this game. I encountered all of the big bugs but was able to progress without unpacking his audio files (one solution) by repeatedly pressing E (action key). uesp.net explains all the bugs relating to him.

Log4Girlz

No real consequences for being part of the Thieves guild except for awesome armor as you progress into the Nocturnal quests. But if you want you can just do that one task. Beware, Esbern is buggy on the PC version of this game. I encountered all of the big bugs but was able to progress without unpacking his audio files (one solution) by repeatedly pressing E (action key). uesp.net explains all the bugs relating to him.

Oooh I got lucky then.

Woorloog

Banned

Should play KotN again... Did you really need the blessing of Talos as well?

I noted i'm sceptical regarding mortals attaining godhood (true one anyway, magic obviously can give power to be god-like), this same applies to become a Daedric Prince. Right after the ending of Shivering Isles you have rather limited powers for a Daedric Prince. UESP claims the Sheogorath you meet in Skyrim is actually the Champion of Cyrodiil who became new Sheogorath after the events of the Shivering Isles and has merely grown in power and taken the shape and mannerism of Sheogorath. If so, that would mean Jyggalag is free... but no mortal still seems to be knowing about him or serving him, unless he is the sort who doesn't bother with anyone from Nirn. Maybe the other Daedric Princes merely made Jyggalag Sheogorath again?

Aye. Talos did plenty to prove he was real. That doesn't mean Tiber Septim and Talos are one and the same, perhaps Talos has been there all along, but only after Tiber Septim became his avatar did he become known and worshipped.

Sound plausible. After all there were more than 8 Aedra originally, many became something else, 8 remaning as gods. Or maybe there are others who don't bother (outside special occasions)? Like Talos.

NBtoaster

Good point. But there's also the fact that you needed the blood of a divine to create a portal to Paradise in Oblivion, which you got from Tiber Septims armor.

Should play KotN again... Did you really need the blessing of Talos as well?

I noted i'm sceptical regarding mortals attaining godhood (true one anyway, magic obviously can give power to be god-like), this same applies to become a Daedric Prince. Right after the ending of Shivering Isles you have rather limited powers for a Daedric Prince. UESP claims the Sheogorath you meet in Skyrim is actually the Champion of Cyrodiil who became new Sheogorath after the events of the Shivering Isles and has merely grown in power and taken the shape and mannerism of Sheogorath. If so, that would mean Jyggalag is free... but no mortal still seems to be knowing about him or serving him, unless he is the sort who doesn't bother with anyone from Nirn. Maybe the other Daedric Princes merely made Jyggalag Sheogorath again?

Yes you needed the talos blessing. Umaril was defeated before when there were 8 divines but he escaped in spirit form. It is only with the blessing of talos that you can follow him to the spiritual plane.

Seanspeed

Banned
Do you guys really think they've thought all this lore through? I'm sure they just kind of make it up as they go and it wouldn't be hard to find contradictories, plotholes and illlogical WTF's in trying to make sense of it all.

I like reading the stuff in the game if it relates to something I'm doing and some of the little short stories are a little interesting, but I certainly dont understand how you guys get into the lore like you do. Its not that good, is it? Seems very generic-y fantasty stuff.

That is simply impossible unless you have perks in Heavy Armor/Light Armor.

With Smithing 100, even after upgrading to legendary with 4x23%=+92% improved smithing gear Daedric Armor will push you to ~305AR. That is where I'm at atm.

So yeah, you can reach 700 easily IF you invest in perks for relevant armor type.

Yeah, of course I have the heavy armor perks--I wear heavy armor. Between smithing and heavy armor I actually had about 950 armor in steel plate. In ebony armor and not wearing a helmet (such a badass) I'm just shy of 600.

Woorloog

Banned
Do you guys really think they've thought all this lore through? I'm sure they just kind of make it up as they go and it wouldn't be hard to find contradictories, plotholes and illlogical WTF's in trying to make sense of it all.

I like reading the stuff in the game if it relates to something I'm doing and some of the little short stories are a little interesting, but I certainly dont understand how you guys get into the lore like you do. Its not that good, is it? Seems very generic-y fantasty stuff.

Some it is probably made up as they go and there are retcons and inconsistencies in the lore of TES BUT they're part of it. Do you know how extensive the lore, the world building is? Personally i see it as rivaling the Lord of the Rings. There are at least two accounts of the life of Tiber Septim. And more than two accounts about Nerevarine's previouis life (Lord Indoril Nerevar) and death.
The world is not quite set in stone, the player is encouraged to make their own intepretation.
TES is your generic fantasy but it is damn well done.
BioWare's Dragon Age is largery generic as well but not nearly as well made, the only reason i'm not bothering the with the series anymore. It just ain't interesting enough.

That is simply impossible unless you have perks in Heavy Armor/Light Armor.

With Smithing 100, even after upgrading to legendary with 4x23%=+92% improved smithing gear Daedric Armor will push you to ~305AR. That is where I'm at atm.

So yeah, you can reach 700 easily IF you invest in perks for relevant armor type.

Twin Souls perks also effect Dremora Lords. Enjoy :D

If he uses alchemy he can get 4x23 + 20 (from Notchs pick axe) + 115% better alchemy potion(i assume it goes that high i still have one more perk left and its at 93%) potion. All of that shit is broken even without using the alchemy enchant glitch.

Good point. But there's also the fact that you needed the blood of a divine to create a portal to Paradise in Oblivion, which you got from Tiber Septims armor

Another good point. Though technically, Tiber Septim only should've become divine after he died, so the fact that his blood is divine might mean that he was the avatar of a god during his life, as well.

Woorloog

Banned
Another good point. Though technically, Tiber Septim only should've become divine after he died, so the fact that his blood is divine might mean that he was the avatar of a god during his life, as well.

I'd like to note that Oblivion did have other Aedric artifacts as well but for some stupid reason they're not allowed to be used during the quest. At least the magical brush, the one that was given to an artist by a god.

NBtoaster

I'm sure they do care. They introduce new lore to make up for retcons and minor issues. They introduced a stunning amount of lore from Dagerfall to Skyrim, and it's impressive how relatively few issues there are (most of which are found in Oblivion). I don't know of any other gaming-originated series that has a bigger history.

Seems interesting to me *shrug*

Since we are talking about history/lore, after taking part in (spoiler to later part of Skyrim's MQ)
peace conference
it's pretty obvious the Empire doesn't like the Thalmor, doesn't respect them, and the whole situation screams WWI--->WWII. Probably we will get a full-blown war in one of the expansions.

Kyoufu

At what level is it recommended to join the Thieves Guild? I heard of levelled loot that I could miss out on or something like that.

At what level is it recommended to join the Thieves Guild? I heard of levelled loot that I could miss out on or something like that.

Leveled loot only applies to the numbers on items (which you can improve via Smithing) and strength of enchantments e.g. burns for 12 points instead of 15. You do not lose any items because you are underpowered/overpowered.

As for numbers, I believe the majority of gear gets maximum version available from ~Lvl 30.

Since we are talking about history/lore, after taking part in (spoiler to later part of Skyrim's MQ)
peace conference
it's pretty obvious the Empire doesn't like the Thalmor, doesn't respect them, and the whole situation screams WWI--->WWII. Probably we will get a full-blown war in one of the expansions.

Undoubtably. When you finish the Imperial Questline
Tullius comments that they can now prepare for the "real war".
The Empire doesn't like the current situation any more than the Stormcloaks do, but the Stormcloaks are too near-sighted to care.

NBtoaster

The leveled loot maxes out at level 46, but you might not want to wait that long. The early quests don't have leveled items, I think.

That would be pretty consistent with his unnatural abilites in life too.

Finished up the Night To Remember quest last night. Not a bad side diversion. Fighting casters it the bane of my existence right now. They can mess me up quick. Most everything else I can at least put up a good fight against, but the Arch Cryomancer was tearing me up.

After finishing that off, I decided to pursue more of the main story, but along the way to the next area, I came across a Frost Dragon. Had to spend 20 minutes just trying to get its attention, and was only able to engage it after it attacked a Cave Bear. Made short work of the dragon, but I'm running out of shouts to upgrade and need to find more. I definitely haven't found all of them yet. I'm hoping I'll collect a few more along the main quest now.

The Empire doesn't like the current situation any more than the Stormcloaks do, but the Stormcloaks are too near-sighted to care.

Throughout the game I was thinking (spoilers, kinda what doesn't happen so you can keep speculating)
Ulric found out something about the High King that caused him to murder him. But no, his wife is a good person. The High King himself is in Sovngarde, which means he is considered one of Nord heroes.

Not to mention "policies" concerning Dunmer and Argonians in Windhelm.

Throughout the game I was thinking (spoilers, kinda what doesn't happen so you can keep speculating)
Ulric found out something about the High King that caused him to murder him. But no, his wife is a good person. The High King himself is in Sovngarde, which means he is considered one of Nord heroes.

Not to mention "policies" concerning Dunmer and Argonians in Windhelm.

Did you read
the Thalmor document on Ulfric? They state that he's been an informant of the Thalmor for years, ever since the Great War. The Thalmor wanted the civil war to go on, so they would have intervened if Alduin hadn't shown up to do it for them.

FHIZ

so what's the thought on the 360 1.2 patch?

I'm seeing a lot of reasons to click "no" when I get the update prompt, seeing as I never had any big glitches to begin with.

Zeliard

Until they release a patch that doesn't either reduce functionality or just mess other things up, I'm fine with sticking to the vanilla .exe.

Woorloog

Banned
Crazy about that new patch fucking things up. Thank god we have that Microsoft Certification process for the 360 version.

Certification doesn't look at patch introducing game affecting bugs... A patch on 360 broke an area in FONV, after visiting the area you could not save any longer or the game would crash. A later patch fixed the issue though.

Wow, this sucks. I love chatting with my bro online while we both played skyrim but there is no way I'm downloading this patch.

Nice one, bethesda.

FHIZ

Sigh, I wish there was a way to not update your game and stay online, now I guess the final 10 achievements I'm gonna get will have to be... "offline"

I feel so dirty.

This just sucks since I was perfectly happy with the 1.1 patch. Sure, every now and then there was a big patch of flat polygon textureless snow, but at least I could just reload and it would be fixed.

daedalius

So, how bad should I finish Oblivion before getting skyrim? I am having to go around to try and get allies before we let the Dawn baddies open a Great Oblivion Gate outside of the city right next to Cloud Ruler Temple... am I close to the end?

Also, patch is that bad?

AEREC

Did you read
the Thalmor document on Ulfric? They state that he's been an informant of the Thalmor for years, ever since the Great War. The Thalmor wanted the civil war to go on, so they would have intervened if Alduin hadn't shown up to do it for them.

I didnt really get that he was still an informant from that, it looks like had a moment of weakness where he gave in to the torture at some point...but I wouldnt say he is working for the Thalmor, but they may see him as a potential informant though and are just waiting for the right time to intervene.

chemicals

I'm a bit upset today. I came across my first broken quest last night (nightcaller temple - I followed him in, but had to step away for a quick second) ... and shortly thereafter I came across a SECOND broken quest. Will these be patched? or am I shit out of luck? I will not start over.

Hmmm, I'm thinking I should focus more on upping my Alchemy/Enchanting skill instead of my armor and weapons(Heavy and Single), since I'm thinking I would get more of a boost when smithing using my enchanted stuff and potions over the boost I would get from just getting armor and weapons perks.

What say you?

Top Bottom