• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim |OT2| Team Edward's Revenge

GhaleonEB

Vanilla proudspire manor is weak, you need to buy the upgrades.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of the place fully upgraded.

Which reminds me, I need to lead my house sitters in the wilderness and murder them.

The resistances bug really sucks. I use a flame bow so I can take care of frost trolls and ice wraiths. :\

Mordeccai

Has anybody else ordered the OST? I dropped the cash on it yesterday, and at checkout it said shipping would be 4-6 weeks. What the fuck?

Does anybody else have theirs? Or does this really not ship until after Christmas?

parasight

Talk about disappointing. I was really looking forward to the patch so I could finally install the game with texture problems. Now I have to wait for ANOTHER patch to fix the issues that this patch caused.

Woorloog

Banned
Has anybody else ordered the OST? I dropped the cash on it yesterday, and at checkout it said shipping would be 4-6 weeks. What the fuck?

Does anybody else have theirs? Or does this really not ship until after Christmas?

I pre-ordered the OST a couple of weeks before Skyrim's release date. It was 4-6wk then as well.

I didnt really get that he was still an informant from that, it looks like had a moment of weakness where he gave in to the torture at some point...but I wouldnt say he is working for the Thalmor, but they may see him as a potential informant though and are just waiting for the right time to intervene.

I didn't say he's still an informant, but he was at one point. After the Great War, they contacted him and he was more than open to it. Only after the Markarth Incident that kick-started the civil war did he try and cut ties, but the Thalmor are still sponsoring his civil war behind the scenes.

Mik2121

Man.. I can't believe this. After 16 hours and only having seen Whiterun and the first small town.. I feel like I'm rushing the game.

Now, lemme explain...

I first bought the game for PS3 and got up to level 25 in 60 hours. By then I had only seen Whiterun, the first small town, another small town west of it, and just barely started going to Winterhold. Found most kinds of ore except quicksilver and the dweller scrap stuff.
The only kinds of armor I had seen were the bunch of basic ones (metal, leather stuff, etc..), the elves and dwarven (sp?) stuff, and some orc pieces.

I had also bought the Whiterun house with all the Then my PS3 died.

Now, I'm 16 hours in and up to level 18. I have only been to Whiterun and the first small town. I'm also mid-way through the Companions quests and have done a few smaller side quests but not many. I have also only done the first dragon fight, but have yet to visit the Greybeard guys.
I have seen quicksilver already, though!. And I'm sporting an Ivory helmet, though the rest of my armor is the wolf... thing, forgot the name. The same armor as the Companion members.
I already bought the house in Whiterun, bought everything and already have 12k coins, whereas in 60 hours before I had only like 7k after buying everything on Whiterun :p

I just don't know. Maybe I'm kinda rushing through the beginning because I already know what happens and have seen the plains around Whiterun so many times, and then my pace will slow down as soon as I get to the next city. Also I guess I now know better what items to bring to town (to sell), and what should I leave back. I have yet to be encumbered :p

Oh well, I will continue enjoying the game, I just wanna take it slowly and enjoy it.. so hopefully I finish Whiterun and I can go to whatever next city...

scy

Hmmm, I'm thinking I should focus more on upping my Alchemy/Enchanting skill instead of my armor and weapons(Heavy and Single), since I'm thinking I would get more of a boost when smithing using my enchanted stuff and potions over the boost I would get from just getting armor and weapons perks.

What say you?

A combination of both is for the best, to be honest. To try to not get too math heavy, increasing your Smithing skill will raise your "base" Armor Rating when you upgrade them; all the Perks are then multipliers on top of that. Getting the one point of Juggernaut, Well-Fitted, and Matching Set will go quite the distance.

Nuttycam

Banned
So I'm a level 26 mage and I've just being wearing the archmage robe, is there any other armour/clothes that would help be more effective with magic and/or defence?

scy

So I'm a level 26 mage and I've just being wearing the archmage robe, is there any other armour/clothes that would help be more effective with magic and/or defence?

The one thing of note is that you can wear a Circlet with that Robe, despite the fact it has a hood. Gives you an Enchanting slot back to work with. You will, however, want to probably get the highest Armor you can find onto your Hands and Feet. Since you have non-Armor for your Chest and Helm slot, you are effectively down 60 Armor (you get +40 hidden Armor for having any Chest Armor, +20 hidden Armor for having any Helmet) in addition to the lack of Armor on those two slots.

Alternatively, just get more Clothes slots and aim for Ebonyflesh's +300 Armor Rating when maxed out. That's probably your best bet unless you go for Daedric Gloves/Boots with the whole Enchanting/Alchemy/Smithing thing and maxed Heavy Armor perks.

AEREC

I didn't say he's still an informant, but he was at one point. After the Great War, they contacted him and he was more than open to it. Only after the Markarth Incident that kick-started the civil war did he try and cut ties, but the Thalmor are still sponsoring his civil war behind the scenes.

ah...gotcha.

Seanspeed

Banned
Where can I find a list of new issues that the patch causes (360)?

Sounds like its just the resistance thing. Other people are reporting problems, but it sounds like in many cases, they were minor bugs that existed before the patch came out and just coincidentally occured afterwards.

The resistance thing can be game-breaking for some, though. It wont affect me, and I'll probably accept the patch, because I dont use resistances on any of my gear or anything. I do have the 50% resistance to fire due to being a Dark Elf, but I can live without it. Maybe that'll even make the blood dragons a bit harder.

Christine

Do you guys really think they've thought all this lore through? I'm sure they just kind of make it up as they go and it wouldn't be hard to find contradictories, plotholes and illlogical WTF's in trying to make sense of it all.

They've definitely thought very carefully about all of the lore and how it affects/is affected by the games. There's the occasional fuckup or oversight that needs to be rationalized, but for the most part it all hooks together extremely well.

I like reading the stuff in the game if it relates to something I'm doing and some of the little short stories are a little interesting, but I certainly dont understand how you guys get into the lore like you do. Its not that good, is it? Seems very generic-y fantasty stuff.

What do you think it should be compared to? I think it stacks up well against all of the fantastic theologies and metaphysics I'm familiar with.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got my third dragon priest mask last night. This one is one I'll actually use.

Nahkriin. The first heavy armor one I've found. The others have been light armor.

Despite being done the game for the large part, I think I'm going to go on a quest to kill all the dragon priests and get their masks.

Seanspeed

Banned
They've definitely thought very carefully about all of the lore and how it affects/is affected by the games. There's the occasional fuckup or oversight that needs to be rationalized, but for the most part it all hooks together extremely well.

What do you think it should be compared to? I think it stacks up well against all of the fantastic theologies and metaphysics I'm familiar with.
Maybe the background lore is ok, but the way its presented in the game doesn't do a damn thing to make me care about any of it. I mean, I'm fully drawn into the game, but not once have I cared the tiniest bit about the story or the fact that I'm supposed to be playing some hero role for these people.

All this effort in trying to flesh out the lore helps make the game world feel like a somewhat convincing and unique place, but I really dont care about learning too much about it. As long as the feeling is there, thats fine with me. But there's been nothing so awesome that I've felt the desire to learn more about the history in any detail beyond whats in some of the books in the game.

Just an FYI i spent 0$ and bought all of the stuff for solitude. When you buy a house quickly exit the talk and stash you money in a cupboard. If you do it fast enough you will stash your money before they take it and you get it all for free.

Doc Evils

You gotta be crazy not to play this game on PC....

Screen_Shot11.jpg

ShinNL

I did, didn;t I ?
OP describes how to spoiler correctly. Highlighting your spoiler is like an absolute gamble, since your post says nothing about the spoiler. I'm lv64 and finished almost the entire game so I don't care about it myself, but since I've experienced an awful spoiler right in this thread I thought it would be better to save people from potential grief.

ShinNL

So I've finally gotten my smithing up to a respectable level. GOT DAYUM Daedric armor is sexy.

fDYwy.jpg

Just crafted/enchanted me a full set.
And to think some people prefer Ebony over this... muhahaha.

(Yeah yeah, different tastes, I know)

Edit: woops, accidental double post.

Owzers

The one thing of note is that you can wear a Circlet with that Robe, despite the fact it has a hood. Gives you an Enchanting slot back to work with. You will, however, want to probably get the highest Armor you can find onto your Hands and Feet. Since you have non-Armor for your Chest and Helm slot, you are effectively down 60 Armor (you get +40 hidden Armor for having any Chest Armor, +20 hidden Armor for having any Helmet) in addition to the lack of Armor on those two slots.

Alternatively, just get more Clothes slots and aim for Ebonyflesh's +300 Armor Rating when maxed out. That's probably your best bet unless you go for Daedric Gloves/Boots with the whole Enchanting/Alchemy/Smithing thing and maxed Heavy Armor perks.

I had no idea you could wear a circlet with the archmage robe. Thanks Xp

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've also got to translate the Lexicon or something like that. I found a dungeon but I cannot get far into it, too many locked doors.

You answered your own question.

I imagine my 60" tv and home theatre system would disagree. And no, don't tell me to hook my enormous cable-ridden pc up to my tv in my living room.

That's what I'm doing.

bengraven

I just realised that the icon on Skyrim and Morrowind's main menu/box art is the same lol...probably obvious.

I actually thought it was the Dragonborn symbol, I guess it's something else? It's not on Oblivion's art.

morrowind_gamecoverlakre.jpg
sr-img-boxartxmj3l.png

No joke, but I seriously considered getting that as a tattoo maybe 5, 6 years ago.

Back then it would be a cool, secretly geeky symbol that no one would judge me on. Now it's on the cover and yeah...

thetrin

CHEEZMO™;33074095 said:
Ugly as sin.

You fucking take that back. My dude is wearing full Daedra with a Dragon Prist mask. He looks like Dr. Doom.

Christine

Maybe the background lore is ok, but the way its presented in the game doesn't do a damn thing to make me care about any of it. I mean, I'm fully drawn into the game, but not once have I cared the tiniest bit about the story or the fact that I'm supposed to be playing some hero role for these people.

All this effort in trying to flesh out the lore helps make the game world feel like a somewhat convincing and unique place, but I really dont care about learning too much about it. As long as the feeling is there, thats fine with me. But there's been nothing so awesome that I've felt the desire to learn more about the history in any detail beyond whats in some of the books in the game.

Well, as strong as the lore's foundations are, the dialogue and in-game story lines have a tendency towards the petty and the mundane. So I can see how it might not draw you in.

Once I started reading the books, I just couldn't stop. None of it's necessary to your enjoyment of the game, so don't worry about it too much.

Another good point. Though technically, Tiber Septim only should've become divine after he died, so the fact that his blood is divine might mean that he was the avatar of a god during his life, as well.

There's really no need to speculate about this. Hjalti Early-Beard aka Talos Stormcrown aka Tiber Septim was an incarnation of Talos. Or at least part of one: Zurin Arctus and Ysmir Wulfarth were also incarnations of Talos.

Talos is the Missing God, counterpart and mirror to the Dragon God. He is Shezzar who is Shor who is Lorkhan. In an event that echoed the mythic Betrayal/Sacrifice from which Akatosh and Lorkhan created the world, man and the god became one. It took a lot of doing and there were many failed attempts - Wulfarth was left over from one such, and Pelinal Whitesnake is another example.

This, by the way, is the entire reason for the Thalmor to ban Talos worship. The Altmer have hated Lorkhan since the beginning of linear time. All the shit about it not being proper to worship a mortal is just a cover--the Thalmor know damn well that Talos is real, and they detest him.

scy

I imagine my 60" tv and home theatre system would disagree. And no, don't tell me to hook my enormous cable-ridden pc up to my tv in my living room.

Clearly the solution is to move your TV to the PC.

I fondly look back at when I had my PC hooked up to my 52" TV and sigh at the missed opportunities. But, I have solid 25" monitors that look phenomenal so it takes the sting out of this a bit. Plus, my computer room setup is a lot comfier than my couch, lol.

And to think some people prefer Ebony over this... muhahaha.

(Yeah yeah, different tastes, I know)

Daedric and Glass have the same issues to me ... they're just too much. Ebony is sleeker to me, y'know?

Besides, my favorite armor in the game is probably one of the many varieties of Fur. Not counting mods, anyway.

TheContact

Makaroth Murder Spoilers (slightly), maybe someone can clarify something for me:

So I started that Makaroth murder quest, and I got to a point where I killed that Old Nose guy, then the quest sent me to another location where some girl was executed or something at the Shrine of Talos. The guards said I could either go with them to the jail or resist, so I chose to resist and killed those guards inside, but then an infinite amount of guards kept coming through the Shrines Doors. My Dremora and that Khajiit follower killed like 30 of them or so to the point where my game couldnt handle all the bodies anymore, so I went outside and the guards said I needed to go to jail for murdering people, I said I was framed but he said there were witnesses. Is this supposed to happen? I had to high tail it out of Makaroth because my bounty is probably like a million gold. My house and my wife is in there =\

edit: also
Theo..something, the leader of Makaroth, his wife was killed when those assassins came in. I'm sure it's possible to save her...but I didn't care enough and just looted her body. What's funny though is about 2 seconds after he bitched at me for her death, he was in the other room flirting with this other girl saying like, "oh you're married huh, wow what a lucky guy to marry such a beautiful lady" or something. 2 seconds his wife is dead and he's already trying to sleep with a married woman..geez!

Hyunkel6

The patch doesn't address any quest bugs at all, right? I've been stuck on a companion quest for a while now, and I was hoping it would fix that.

Also, from the OP, the patch creates more problems than it solves? Should I download it? (360 version)

ShinNL

Uhhhh, Steam popped a message just now saying it completed downloading Skyrim. I'm 100% sure I disabled updating after reading this thread.......... :|

Edit: LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEEEEE, just tested real quick with my own summoned Storm Atronach. Punched it 4 times to make it attack me, it then does 20% damage per attack on my 85% magic resist / 30% spell absorption / 6xx armor Lv64 character. Totally not playing this game till this get patched. PC version also doomed.

And seriously, WTF Steam, I specifically told it not to update my Skyrim and it did anyway and even reverted the setting back to 'keeping it up to date'. Grrrrrr.

Top Bottom